Gerard Butler GALS

10/4 - 'Ugly Truth' tops overseas boxoffice

becozy

From: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...827805482e19972

Sparked by solid openings in eight territories, Sony's "The Ugly Truth" took the No. 1 spot on the international circuit this weekend, grossing $12.1 million from 2,385 screens in 54 markets and hoisting its overseas total thus far to $70.8 million.

The biggest of the fresh territories for the romantic comedy co-starring Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler was Germany

read the entire article here

Thank you Barb.

Great news. This movie has confounded the critics and been very popular worldwide. It was held over for several weeks at my local cinema so I like to think I did my bit. :)

Not sure what the critics here didn't like. (Okay, it was predictable, but you KNOW that going into a movie like this. Both Gerry and Katherine played their roles very well.) The people I was with certainly enjoyed - we all laughed out loud many times - it as well as the rest of the theater :). I am very glad it's doing well over seas and I look forward to the DVD release in November (I'll be waiting....)

Cheers!

Amanda

Here in Brazil the audience loved The Ugly Truth! I always believed in the success of this movie. "Critics are to be ignored !!" [2]

Thanks Barb! Kisses from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!

Edited by rosebrazil

What great news. Congratulations, Gerry. Guess this must make the critics angry. It just goes to show the professional critics are often out of touch with what the public enjoys.

Wow. TUT is #1 around the world. We already knew that! And, Gerry is always No. 1! We've known that for a long time. The rest of world is finally catching up.

I think critics are generally dismissive of rom-coms as they say.

And the reality is not everyone wants action thrillers all the time.

Frankly this is a great date movie - if your date agrees too much with GB's character you might need to give him the boot, bwah.

It will also be making the chick flick list this year - my friends are overdue for a chick flick night and you can only watch Bridget Jones and Pride and Prejudice so many times. Always good to have eye candy in the chick flick.

Of course the opposite often happens, the critics love a movie but the audience doesn't, esp a lot of indie films, an area to Mr. Butler is treading into. Of course the indie films suffer because either they haven't got the money for promotion or can't get onto enough screens.

Edited by lavender1960

you can only watch Bridget Jones and Pride and Prejudice so many times

LOL that is so true - my friends and I have seen P&P soo many times now we know most of the dialogue off by heart.

I am so glad that TUT did well everywhere.

Edited by jojo23

Frankly this is a great date movie - if your date agrees too much with GB's character you might need to give him the boot, bwah.

It will also be making the chick flick list this year - my friends are overdue for a chick flick night and you can only watch Bridget Jones and Pride and Prejudice so many times. Always good to have eye candy in the chick flick.

Of course the opposite often happens, the critics love a movie but the audience doesn't, esp a lot of indie films, an area to Mr. Butler is treading into. Of course the indie films suffer because either they haven't got the money for promotion or can't get onto enough screens.

May I suggest for your Chic Flick Night, "The Wedding Date" with Deborah Messing & Dermot Mulroney. IMO, it has all the desired elements for a great chick flick. My group has about worn out the copy we have. lol

The Divine Miss S :rose:

This is great news! I loved the movie. I love romantic comedies but don't watch them all. TUT was very entertaining, and while I knew what the ending was going to be I felt the acting and chemistry between Gerry and Katherine was terrific. I really got into the movie. Not just a biased opinion. Everyone I have spoke to about the movie thought it was fantastic. Even my husband.

Connie

This is great news! I loved the movie. I love romantic comedies but don't watch them all. TUT was very entertaining, and while I knew what the ending was going to be I felt the acting and chemistry between Gerry and Katherine was terrific. I really got into the movie. Not just a biased opinion. Everyone I have spoke to about the movie thought it was fantastic. Even my husband.

Connie

I think because it is also a subject that resonates with most people, male and female. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, why can't your workmate be from Scotland?

Edited by lavender1960

From: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...827805482e19972

Sparked by solid openings in eight territories, Sony's "The Ugly Truth" took the No. 1 spot on the international circuit this weekend, grossing $12.1 million from 2,385 screens in 54 markets and hoisting its overseas total thus far to $70.8 million.

The biggest of the fresh territories for the romantic comedy co-starring Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler was Germany

read the entire article here

That is great news. They have good taste....

That is great! The movie was not profound just funny! Gerry played the role well. The movie will do great on DVD as well!

a little good news...( although, our movie market is small...)

TUT (which was released on 10/2) top our Box Office AGAIN on the 2nd weekend :) and the review from the audience is good, too

Gamer which is released this weekend (10/9) end up to 3rd at our Box Office ... but the review is half / half ...

Edited by Jeanwhale

May I suggest for your Chic Flick Night, "The Wedding Date" with Deborah Messing & Dermot Mulroney. IMO, it has all the desired elements for a great chick flick. My group has about worn out the copy we have. lol

The Divine Miss S :rose:

My guilty pleasure in the rom com category is Kate and Leopold. Next to the G man, Hugh is the MAN! :kisswink:

In Italy we'll have to wait till November 27th. I've seen it in English, I think I was the only one :(

I didn't know it hadn't been to Italy as yet!! I thought that so many countries in Europe had seen it, surely Italy had. Have I misunderstood? Are you talking about movie screens or DVDs? Do you think it will do well in Italy? Gosh, I hope so.

more on the int'l b.o. for TUT, which mentions Italy opening in Nov

in Variety, dated 10/9:

'Ugly Truth' woos overseas auds

Sony's romantic comedy nabs $12.4 million<h2></h2> It took most of the year, but Sony's "The Ugly Truth" has become the first romantic comedy in 2009 to win a weekend at the foreign box office. "The Ugly Truth," starring Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler, achieved that distinction during the Oct. 2-4 frame -- a typically moderate mid-autumn session marked by the absence of tentpoles -- with $12.1 million at 2,385 playdates in 54 markets.

That was enough to edge the Disney duo of "Surrogates" and "Up," which were the only other titles to top the $10 million mark during the first weekend of the fourth quarter.

"The Ugly Truth" has topped $71 million overseas -- a decent achievement given the obstacles faced by many American comedies outside the United States. With the German run just started and Italy not opening until mid-November, "Truth" looks likely to match its $88 million domestic cume.

"Truth" won a tight race in its debut in the German market, beating family pics "Up" and local entry "Vicky the Viking" with $4.5 million from 501.

The romantic comedy managed to show traction among Teuton audiences due to good will remaining from Butler's "P.S. I Love You" and positive reviews. Trade magazine Blickpunkt: Film wrote: "The situation comedy often falls flat and the screenplay is not original, but the chemistry between stars Heigl and Gerard Butler is right on the mark," while pubcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk called the film "primitive but funny."

This is terrific news....too bad this country is so bent on paying attention to what the critics have to say! :lalala: I could care less...most of them don't even watch the movie!!

:wave: Frannie

Thanks Barb! :D

Edited by ladyfran

In Italy we'll have to wait till November 27th. I've seen it in English, I think I was the only one :(

I didn't know it hadn't been to Italy as yet!! I thought that so many countries in Europe had seen it, surely Italy had. Have I misunderstood? Are you talking about movie screens or DVDs? Do you think it will do well in Italy? Gosh, I hope so.

You hadn't misunderstood at all... :(

Unfortunately, here we always got movies when DVD have already gone out in the other countries; the general trend here is that the cinema owners think people won't go to see the movie with subtitles and we have to expect until the movie is dubbed (my mom likes movies with subs and she's 71!!! She wants to hear the original voices of the actors!!!)

I mean, can you imagine Gerard with another voice????? :doh: Gerard in Timeline was unwatchable, I turned the volume off, just to enjoy the view...(for my luck, I've already seen it in english)

Those people are so crazy... :tantrum:

Edited by Kyriem