Gerard Butler GALS

Early LAC Review!!!

Rubee815

From Peter Bart, who is a big deal at Variety and a real Hollywood insider, this is close to a rave!

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009...ll-sleeper.html

Summer is supposed to be the season of the “audience movie,” with an occasional art film tossed in as counter-programming, while October belongs to more serious movies with a rare thriller breaking through.

Well, the “sleeper” among the fall “audience pictures” may turn out to be “Law Abiding Citizen,” a tightly directed thriller starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler. The movie is violent and bizarre and sufficiently off-center enough to become an audience favorite.

“Citizen” could be a break through film for Gerard Butler, who might grab some nominations for his depiction of a high-IQ killer. It also marks a formidable comeback for F. Gary Gray, a gifted young filmmaker who decided to take a four year sojourn, traveling the world and studying after turning out six movies in a row (among them “The Italian Job” and “Be Cool.”)

“Law Abiding Citizen” also marks a departure for Overture Films, which has been limiting itself to smaller, softer films. This one is a $50 million white-knuckler that was originally developed by Mark Gill’s Film Department, directed by Frank Darabont. After “creative differences” imploded the project, Overture came aboard and Gray was brought on as director six weeks before production.

Many projects show the scars of such a bumpy birth but "Law Abiding Citizen" delivers a tight, shrewdly produced nail biter. For audiences fleeing “Love Happens,” it may provide an effective antidote.

Edited by Rubee815

This is one of those times I absolutely LOOOOOVE saying "Tol'ja so!" I've been saying this one was gonna be huge for the G-man (didn't I, Swannie). I may even allow myself to think "O" word - back off, Ho's! - as in MPAAS "O" word. I'm just about to bet the farm that he'll get a nod from the Globes.

Doin' the happy dance for My Main Fantasy Man! Oh, yeah, baby!!! :pointy: :dance: :bellydance: :dance: :penguin:

I think I am going to cry for joy. I was beginning to feel a knot in my stomach, already wearing about the reception LAC might get from the more difficult critics and dreading waiting to see the box office results, and you posted this! I am feeling better already, so thank you!

Does anyone else feel this knot in the stomach and is full with worry as if this was happening in your own family? Am I overreacting? Is that normal? I know I should get grip, but I feel so much is riding for Gerry's career based on how LAC does and given that Gamer did not do that well...

Theresa

I think I am going to cry for joy. I was beginning to feel a knot in my stomach, already wearing about the reception LAC might get from the more difficult critics and dreading waiting to see the box office results, and you posted this! I am feeling better already, so thank you!

Does anyone else feel this knot in the stomach and is full with worry as if this was happening in your own family? Am I overreacting? Is that normal? I know I should get grip, but I feel so much is riding for Gerry's career based on how LAC does and given that Gamer did not do that well...

Theresa

Overreacting? Maybe yes, probably no. Gotta tell ya...I was doing the dishes and let my imagination roam a minute to what I'd do if HRH got nominated for The Big One and went on to WIN (OMG, I can't breathe...). I'm not entirely sure I'd survive; I think I'd go completely to pieces. Yeah, the thought of him winning a Globe or Oscar for this gives me major butterflies. I continue to dream...

"NOMINATIONS"!!! I love that word especially since it was directed towards Gerry!! I'm getting so excited for Gerry. To think this is his first time being a Producer and everything is going so well for him and the movie. I couldn't be happier for him!!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

I'd love to see this happen and its nice that such respected showbiz journos may think so too. :yay:

From seeing the film it is definitely Jamie lead and Gerry Supporting and not being biased but Jamie wont win any mainstream awards as his part is not juicy enough and is not really a stretch for him. Whereas Gerry's character goes from broken bereft husband and father to brilliant psychopath with hints of madness and he really does such a great job conveying all emotions especially with his eyes. The one great thing about the movie is everytime you think WTF is he doing or saying that for in time it all makes perfect sense and is really quite ingenious in some ways. Like I have said previously with so many who win Best Supporting awards they tend to have roles that are not quite lead but more than support and I think this is just what Gerry has here and because of the pure scope of his character i can see him garnering alot of attention and all you need is good buzz in lead up to award season.

Although nothing is definite if on the off chance he does get nominated for stuff like Golden Globes and you want to be there cheering him on you can contact Beverly Hilton for details of their Golden Globe Packages - great weekend. If he gets nominated for Screen Actors Guild Award SAG have auctions leading up to the event where you can bid for bleacher seats or to actually attend the event. Unfortunately the Oscar lottery for bleacher seats has closed.

Moira

From seeing the film it is definitely Jamie lead and Gerry Supporting and not being biased but Jamie wont win any mainstream awards as his part is not juicy enough and is not really a stretch for him. Whereas Gerry's character goes from broken bereft husband and father to brilliant psychopath with hints of madness and he really does such a great job conveying all emotions especially with his eyes. Moira

I believe that very much depends on, how popular the movie will be. Just remembering how Tommy Lee Jones got an Oscar from "The Fugitive" for a performance that was very ordinary for him and Leonardo DiCaprio lost to him in spite of his really fantastic and demanding performance in "What´s Eating Gilbert Grape".

Edited by Skatingfan03

While I get your point I think there was so much buzz for Tommy Lee Jones and his body of work may have been taken into consideration as well. I dont always "get" the Oscars cause I still do not understand how they could give it to Martin Landau over Samuel L Jackson. While Jamie is good in the role I just dont feel it was a stretch for him and if any performance is going to be recognised it will be Gerry's.

Moira