Gerard Butler GALS

NY POST article?

Guest Kyriem

Hey Gals,

I found this...well, this harsh article about Gerry, I felt like posting it even if it wasn't so positive. :bonk:

The link (http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/how_butler_did_it_JAQxnQo Wntz7cucS7nowpJ) seems not working at all,

maybe people who live in the States can make it work...

From Spartan to sap in three years

By REED TUCKER

Last Updated: 8:15 AM, October 11, 2009

Posted: 2:35 AM, October 11, 2009

Gerard Butler’s agent may be terrible, but his publicist must be a genius. Most of the actor’s movies haven’t been particularly good, but those magazine covers? Wow! Rarely before has a movie star felt so rammed down America’s throat.

His latest is Friday’s vigilante thriller “Law Abiding Citizen.” And to support it, Butler will no doubt be making the talk-show rounds, appearing in magazines, having profiles written about him and generally being treated like the new Brad Pitt. Anyone else feel like this guy sneaked into the Giant Movie Star Club through the back door disguised as a waiter?

A few years ago, he was playing the monster in the forgettable “Dracula 2000,” and now he’s above-the-title talent. How did this happen? We’re not sure either, but let’s take a look at his star power rating.

In 2001, the Scot was being considered to take over the role of James Bond. (Add 10 star power points.) The producers decided to give it to someone else — a blond guy, no less. (Subtract 30 star power points.)

2006’s “300” pulled in a massive $70.9 in its opening weekend. (Add 50 star power points.) Most people were just there for the green-screen effects. (Subtract 15 star power points.)

The hunky actor became a go-to guy for action roles, like the excellent “RocknRolla.” (Add 10 star power points.) The only person the muscled star actually beat up was his “P.S. I Love You” co-star Hilary Swank, giving her a cut that required stitches when he accidentally smacked her with his suspenders. (Subtract 35 star power points.)

With his higher profile, Butler began to nab tabloid headlines with links to Hollywood starlets. (Add 25 star power points.) The Hollywood starlet was Jennifer Aniston. (Subtract 45 star power points.)

The overexposed hunk has already pumped out two movies this year, “The Ugly Truth” and “Gamer,” earning a middling Rotten Tomatoes score of 44. (Add 5 star power points.) That’s a collective score. (Subtract 10 star power points.)

Conclusion:With a total score of — wait, who were we talking about again?

:grrr:

New York Post? Never heard of it! Must be one of those obscure "publications" where it's the only place flunky "journalists" can get a job or when razzis get too fat and slow to carry their cameras.

Delene

I saw this article on line this morning.... I see it as a very interesting kinda backhanded....OK, well not backhanded, pretty much in your face insult that he really hasn't done anything to warrant such celebrity status since his only box office hit was 300 (smash hit that is since TUT was considered a hit, but it was hardly 300).

Remember when Gerry's rise in 2009 was predicted by some global article back in January - they said top 100 things to watch for in 2009 and Gerard Butler was on the list and I know many of us were like, 'wow, really?!?" I wish I could recall which article or publication put that out, but it did get some raised eyebrows. ...this was planned and with lots of hard work and intelligence.

Gerry has certainly had his share of bad movies, but OMG, haven't all of them??? Brad Pitt has been in more stinkers than most as has Clooney, Roberts, Crowe etc... what seperates Gerry is that he has only had one really huge hit in 300 and some other nice movies, but not box office powerhouses. Gerry though shines through in the non hits like PSILY - people didn't care for it, but they walked away asking who was that playing 'Gerry'??? He stands out above the so/so or bad films he is part of. He is memorable! Plain and simple he is what Hollywood has been lacking since the days of McQueen and Newman. A true mans/man - the man that carrys the girl and throws her on the bed yet still the guy who can kick someones butt and yet deliver the most insane, crinkle your toes screen kiss! He is doing this by being in all different types of genres. He is very calculating with his choices and career and is getting on the Alist by being appealing, a mans man and a little bit of everything to everyone. He pops up in Nims (kids movie), TUT (romcom), 300 (action hero) and now LAC (thriller bad/kinda good guy).

He should be so proud!!!! Alan, Joy, agents, all of them should be proud on how the deliever Gerry to the public. It's impressive!

Edited by sav8821

It's funny how Gerry keeps getting mentioned with or compared to Pitt and Clooney. That says something right there. Pitt started acting as a teen on TV, first gig was on Dallas and Clooney had a "leg up" as the nephew of infamous fifties crooner, Rosemary Clooney doing TV commercials and sitcoms. He too started as a teen on TV.

Gerry started his career relatively late, not to mention after getting a little ol' law degree, and has already, in my opinion, raced up to or past those two in popularity, not to mention can act rings around both of them I think. Like I've said before, when Pitt, Clooney or Cruise is in a movie, they're great actors but I see, Pitt, Clooney and Cruise acting the part. When Gerry portrays a character, I see the "character". Big difference. I do like Pitt and Clooney, don't misunderstand me, and that Cruise guy of course, but Gerry is special. I'm just sorry if I think so but that's the way I feel.....SO THERE!

Delene

Delene, I agree! I like all of them too and I do believe G to be the better actor of all three you mentioned. Gerry has such emotional range and really feels his way through a part. I also like Clooney, Pitt and think Cruise in his earlier days was outstanding.

Why do some journalists have to treat success and fame as a competition!? Isn't there enough to go around? Gerry is worthy of his success and has worked hard for it...bottom line!

Edited by sav8821

What a peevish, snarky, mean-spirited article. :tantrum: Obviously, he thinks GB doesn't deserve to share the spotlight with Mr. A-List himself - Brad Pitt. Talk about over-exposure!! One can't pick up a tabloid without seeing Brangelina displayed. Articles like this (as if it really needs saying) hold zero credibility. No effort is made to really critique Gerry's films , just take pot shots at him because he has had a productive year and is being sought after by the press. Newsflash! He didn't have to sneak into the A-List club through the backdoor, he walk right in the front and took his proper place as the new star. Move over Clooney, Pitt, and Cruise, time to make room for some new talent! This so-called journalist isn't worth zip, thought I let his venom upset my morning coffee. I'm calmer now. :kisswink:

I posted this in another thread on the same topic and wanted to share here it as well.

Perhaps he's bitter because he's never been taken seriously as a writer because all of his work reads like recycled material written by people with real talent. ~Becca

Edited by ready2fly

Gerry has no control over when his movies are released, that’s the decision of the distributor. I will also steal an observation I read elsewhere. He completed a movie with Jennifer Aniston who cannot go anywhere or sneeze with out the tabloids (including Page Six of the Post) going nuts. That put Gerry square in the middle of a storm of publicity all summer long and that was not his doing. He has by my count only been on a couple of magazine covers here in the US within the past couple of months, one of them a regional magazine available only in Southern California. He has no choice but to try to sale his movies when they are opening. That’s part of his job.

Mr. Tucker seems to be making up his own Star Power rating based upon his opinion rather then facts. Yet again based upon the fact he did a couple of female centric movies: PS I Love You and The Ugly Truth. PS I Love you had a low budget and was a bit of stealth hit, ultimately made a tidy profit at the box office. It seems on its way to becoming a beloved movie classic and is in semi permanent rotation on HBO. In fact it’s shown more then 300 on HBO! As of this writing The Ugly Truth has made (domestic & foreign) around $150,000,000 at the box office. Gee, isn’t that movie a hit? And although Tucker gives Gerry a plus rating for RocknRolla that movie was not a hit, due to lack of promotion on the part of Warner’s. Movies making a profit are the true star ratings. Not selective “facts” from Rotten Tomatoes or some guy who doesn’t like Gerry and writes a post about it on a newspaper website. Across the board so called star power is not what it used to be, it may not even be enough to drive box office profits anymore. The fact that Gerry is having some success in this environment is remarkable.

Edited by Rubee815

It's obvious this "writer" has no idea who Gerry really is. Don't let this crap get to you, ladies. He knows nothing about movies, either. Gerry brings out the best in some and the worst in others. And that just shows how intense and incredible he really is.

This is just the beginning, folks. Don't get all boogered up now ... gotta learn how to let this criticism roll off your backs ... I'm sure Gerry does (for the most part).

One word about Alan - if Gerry didn't think he was the best person for his career, Alan would be long gone. Yes Gerry has a deep sense of loyalty, but I also think that Gerry has the final say on what projects he works on, not Alan.

One word about Alan - if Gerry didn't think he was the best person for his career, Alan would be long gone. Yes Gerry has a deep sense of loyalty, but I also think that Gerry has the final say on what projects he works on, not Alan.

You are so right about Gerry's decision making. It was HIS idea to play Clyde in LAC even though Alan and everyone else didn't want him to do it. He knows what he's doing. Gerry is no dummy!

Suzie

And another thing: the actor who was thought to be on the fast track to James Bond prior to the selection of Daniel Craig was not Gerry but Clive Owen. Owen was winning the fan polls and was thought to be the odds on favorite when Craig came out of nowhere and snagged the role. I was following all this quite closely at the time. Gerry was mentioned among others but I doubt he was even on the short list for that role. But it’s interesting that Tucker gives Gerry a demerit when he was little more then a bystander in the Bonds stakes!

Ridiculous article... It´s though true that Gerard has been on many magazine covers, which has been wonderful for us fans. And that writer should not blame Gerard´s agent for the movie choices, since it seems that Gerard himself is making those choices...

Well, Gerard is noticed this year, and that should also be so... Who else is there? With such a talent and especially with his recent, really handsome looks from LAC premiere, WOW.

In my opinion, people who disagree with the writer should post their opinion. There are others who don't know GB's career climb very well, will believe what's printed. (because it's in the N.Y. Post.com. Gerard Butler has a new movie coming out and probably needs the support or the facts at least instead of one reporter's article.

When I read articles like this I know Gerry has made it. It is always the press who build someone up then when they become popular try to drag them down. The NY Post from what I know about it is no more than a sleezy tabloid disguising themselves as legitimate news.

Connie

I was thinking the same thing when I read this morning that crap article...

Articles like this really don't upset me at all... It's so obviously biased and written by someone who only undertook 5 minutes of research into Gerry's career that I can't even take it seriously.

Also, anytime someone brings up PS I Love You, I have to remind myself that everyone didn't adore that movie the way I did... which I find amazing. I wasn't a Gerry fan before seeing it, but I immediately went around telling people all about it and that it was the best movie I had seen in years. If I had been following Gerry when it went through theatres, I think I would have died of shock at the lukewarm reception. Truly amazing work.

Gerry has had a lot of those movies that I think will end up being sleeper hits. Box office numbers aren't everything. Sure, it'd be nice if all of Gerry's movies were received like 300, but really only time will tell whether it's a "hit" or not. I see such beauty in so many of Gerry's movies... even the ones that were not considered successful. People who really watch them and are looking for more than the standard Hollywood flick will see this.

Anyway, that's my say.

Steph

Gerry started his career relatively late, not to mention after getting a little ol' law degree, and has already, in my opinion, raced up to or past those two in popularity, not to mention can act rings around both of them I think. Like I've said before, when Pitt, Clooney or Cruise is in a movie, they're great actors but I see, Pitt, Clooney and Cruise acting the part. When Gerry portrays a character, I see the "character". Big difference. I do like Pitt and Clooney, don't misunderstand me, and that Cruise guy of course, but Gerry is special. I'm just sorry if I think so but that's the way I feel.....SO THERE!

Delene

I completely agree. Well said.

Amanda

This article has the flavor of the green eyed monster -jealousy! It is quite obvious it is a bit written from personal dislike for Gerry. Some people just can't be objective writers and tend to share their personal views. Gerry is due for recognition for working his way up to the top all these years.

Gerry....more magazine covers, more movies....more more more!

I wouldn't give the article any weight...we know it is just some warped writer's personal view. The only drawback is alot of people read the NYPost

Some of the best in the business (DeNiro,Pacino,D.Hoffman,Cage,Nicholson,Cruise et al.)have made commercially unsuccessful movies.Audiences are fickle.Sure he wants to be successful but deep down I bet he wants to be taken seriously by his peers because he can go toe to toe with all of them in my opinion.

Well I would have left my 2cents :tantrum: but I didn't feel like registering just to tell this Tucker guy off! my main purpose was to tell him to stop reading between the lines of other papers to get his onfo because if he really did his homework and wanted to call himself a journalist then he should know the TRUE facts about the place, person, or thing he is writing about! Dear Frankie was one of the best movies Gerry made and even though it would be considered a Independent film from Scotland any good journalist would know that...also when Gerry was on CF he was being teased about playing the role of Bond and he said very emphatically that he was never asked to do the role in the first place and wasn't particularly interested! Another piece of info this baffoon didn't know!! So I decided to take it with a grain of salt and put the paper in the room of my house where it belongs...I'll let you all figure that one out! :p

:wave: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Some of the best in the business (DeNiro,Pacino,D.Hoffman,Cage,Nicholson,Cruise et al.)have made commercially unsuccessful movies.Audiences are fickle.Sure he wants to be successful but deep down I bet he wants to be taken seriously by his peers because he can go toe to toe with all of them in my opinion.

I think they're just offered best part in best movies... When you have a reputation, in any field, you can be offered the best. Gerry hasn't an "Al Pacino reputation" yet, but it doesn't mean he's a worse actor than him; if he works hard, it's just a matter of time.