Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Knight Phantom

Entertainment Weekly Review~ Law Abiding Citizen

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20312179,0...ml#pagecomments

All I can say is WTF??? Read my comment there.

Sorry Mods for not running this by you first, I was just too irked for words!

Ahh, another critic who just doesn't get it. There's a huge difference between this movie and the revenge genre of Bronson, Eastwood, etc., and the horror genre spawned by the "Saw" movies. It's a little like comparing "Silence of the Lambs" to Freddie Kruger. No comparison.

Attention critics: If you're going to make comparisons, please stop comparing apples to oranges.

Thank you.

Sadly, I have read several VERY nasty reviews this morning. I haven't seen the film yet, but based on audience screenings, it looks like the critics are not seeing the same film. I am very disappointed. It's still early in the game. I really hope we start to see some positive reviews come up soon.

Just tweeted by F_Gary_Gray:

RT @F_Gary_Gray If you support "Law Abiding Citizen" Pls go to Rotten Tomatoes, join & post a positive reaction. http://bit.ly/1h6u5L

If you support "Law Abiding Citizen" Go to Fandango & rate the film http://tinyurl.com/ygyt3xm/ @F_Gary_Gray @AbidingCitizen #gerardbutler

If you support "Law Abiding Citizen" Go to IMDB & rate the film http://tinyurl.com/byxw2a/ @F_Gary_Gray @AbidingCitizen #gerardbutler

Edited by Swansong

Sadly, I have read several VERY nasty reviews this morning. I haven't seen the film yet, but based on audience screenings, it looks like the critics are not seeing the same film. I am very disappointed. It's still early in the game. I really hope we start to see some positive reviews come up soon.

I have suspected from the get-go that the critics were going to crucify this film for the very comparisons they are making. I haven't seen the film, but I certainly will, though maybe not day one. I just hope that the bad reviews (and there are a lot more coming, believe me) won't have too much influence on the BO or the public's response to the film. When I heard the screenings received a 95% rating I become concerned about the critics. Usually that kind of public response virtually guarantees a negative critical reception. Remember most critics love the edgy, off-beat, anti-......whatever. Any film that even vaguely reminds them of another film will usually be savaged. I also believe that some actors are virtually critic-proof. I won't name names, because we all know who they are. They can make s**t and the critics will waste good ink (or cyberspace!) telling the great unwashed public what they should see and appreciate. I think that GB has yet (maybe never will) become a critical favorite. The critics want to pigeon-hole him as just another "action" star. The snarky commentary by what's his name (I wiped it quickly from my memory) about how GB is overexposed and should hire another publicist is the popular critical POV. The best thing for my blood pressure right now is NOT to read any more reviews, but hope for the best. I would so hate for GB's first produced film to be both a critical and financial failure. This is part of the problem with getting too close to someone like GB, caring too much about what happens to his career. Its hard not to with such an engaging guy, but it is hard on the nervous system...... :bonk:

The problem is LAC is going up against Where the Wild Things Are, which is on the way to a rapturous reception from the critics and is being hailed as a masterpiece. I started to worry about that fact early this week that critics would be unable to view LAC fairly and objectively after seeing WTWTA.

And Gleiberman’s review in EW is sloppy and inept. If he can’t see past his own biases to objectively review the film, then he should step aside and let someone else with a fresh perspective review these films.

As a student of film history and as someone who has had a life long love affair with movies of all kinds and who has some understanding of the film making process I’m awfully tired of the rather insular quality of most film critics today. Many of them seem incapable of stepping out of the box and thinking for themselves, let alone objectively. Film critics may well be on the way to not being relevant at all.

Oh I am good and pessed at what that moron reviewer wrote and I gladly left them a rather nasty comment. :tantrum:

you might say I was being "Anonymous"....hint, hint lol

Roger Ebert, he's the only one that counts for me. And the CNN I-Report reviewer, Rajiim Gross.

Sharon

Just tweeted by F_Gary_Gray:

RT @F_Gary_Gray If you support "Law Abiding Citizen" Pls go to Rotten Tomatoes, join & post a positive reaction. http://bit.ly/1h6u5L

If you support "Law Abiding Citizen" Go to Fandango & rate the film http://tinyurl.com/ygyt3xm/ @F_Gary_Gray @AbidingCitizen #gerardbutler

If you support "Law Abiding Citizen" Go to IMDB & rate the film http://tinyurl.com/byxw2a/ @F_Gary_Gray @AbidingCitizen #gerardbutler

1 p.m. Eastern time tomorrow, my somewhat larger than life heiney will be sitting in a theater seat and I guarantee I will be posting my thoughts about the movie as soon as I get home. I'm taking DH to see it Friday night as well.

The critics who are dissing the movie seem to be comparing it to the lowbrow genre of "slasher" movies. The ones who seem to be a lot more favorable are looking at it as what it certainly seems to be which is a psychological thriller along the lines of SOTL.

In the interest of full disclosure it should be noted that I have had recent experience with the US legal system and will be watching this from the BTDT position.

29 hours and counting...

I also read some very negative reviews a little while ago. I am so disappointed with the critical response to the movie. Mostly they were saying the same thing (maybe they used 'cut and paste'?).

Anyway, I decided to look at what you guys were saying. I agree with Xan that some actors are critic-proof. Likewise others are vilified no matter what they do or don't do. It suits the sloppy writing prevalent amongst so called reviewers.

As Xan said I hope this doesn't affect the audience response to the movie. It's going to be released in Australia next Thursday and I'll definitely be seeing it.

Another thing that touched a chord with me was Xan's comment that "This is part of the problem with getting too close to someone like GB, caring too much about what happens to his career. Its hard not to with such an engaging guy, but it is hard on the nervous system......" It's so true, isn't it? ;)

I deeply resented the way this man got personal with Gerry in this article and I commented in a way that made me happy but will probably get my comments removed. They are posted right now. I don't understand the negative comments that I am seeing about this movie and Gerry and Jamie. This movie was given a 95 rating. Of course, the critics were hard on "300" before it's opening week-end and then they were quiet. I hope the same happens this week-end.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Ahh, another critic who just doesn't get it. There's a huge difference between this movie and the revenge genre of Bronson, Eastwood, etc., and the horror genre spawned by the "Saw" movies. It's a little like comparing "Silence of the Lambs" to Freddie Kruger. No comparison.

Attention critics: If you're going to make comparisons, please stop comparing apples to oranges.

Thank you.

Thank You apples and oranges.I just came from downtown and saw the Philly screening and I was impressed with the movie.I'm proud of Gerry's first outing as a producer.I thougt it was good all around.I told several of the cast members so.The critics are ignorant,I really don't know what to say cause i'm still trying to come down Edited by dairyqueen

I'm really surprised at all the negative reviews LAC is getting. I've been seeing them all day. I'm beginning to wonder if they saw a different movie than I did because even if Gerry wasn't in it, I would have enjoyed it.

I don't understand why the critics have it out for Gerry - or so it seems. Maybe I'm taking it personally, but it sure seems that he can't do anything right in the critics' eyes.

Hopefully this will be like TUT and the audience reaction will prove the critics are morons. Each one of them is a wanna-be, a has-been or a never-was. But sadly there are people out there who listen to their opinions.

I wrote a response, too. I see many of us GALS have ... I'm glad!

Edited by phoenixgirl

I started my morning by grabbing the Orange County Register from my driveway and tearing it open in the car to find the LAC review - only to wish I could light the dammmmm thing on fire - they gave it an F!!! I mean gimme a break that is completely wrong, wrong, wrong. I also don't get the comparisons to the slasher films (which this reviewer did too) because except for the most graphic murder (which I felt was well deserved by the victim) most of the other violence was not of the slice and dice variety. I often think that critics don't even watch the whole movie. Sometimes I think they sit through the first 20 or 30 minutes and then leave.

As far as Where the Wild Things Are - I want to see that too - but a kiddie movie isn't competition for an R-rated thriller. Wild Things is going to bring in the biggest box office of the weekend - if it doesn't I'll be truly shocked. The main head-to-head competition will come from The Stepfather.

I found myself driving to work this morning asking if my mind was so addled by nearly 5 years of Gerry fandom that I can't make an honest judgment. I really, truly liked this movie a lot, I thought the plot was brilliant and I've been chomping at the bit for today to get here so I could see it again. It did make me think about it afterwards, trying to figure out some of the points of what happened, but as I realized how they were done (the things Clyde plotted) I found it even more brilliant, and the suspense was the edge-of-your-seat variety. Maybe these critics are so brainless that a plot that requires them to think for a little while after leaving the theater is too far beyond their abilities.

I so hate seeing the terrible reviews, I just don't get them at all. What has Gerry done (or not done) to these people that some of them just seem to want to do to him in print what Clyde did to some of his victims?

I just wrote in the LAC spoiler thread that I was very surprised that the movie was not as violent as some are claiming, in fact far less violent then some things I’ve seen on TV. Yes there is one scene of implied torture but the camera cuts away. You do see bloody remains but that’s no worse then anything I’ve seen on CSI. I thought LAC was a well crafted thriller, it has a hell of a lot more subtlety and nuance then the critics are giving it credit for. It’s also the kind of movie I enjoy; I love police procedurals and mysteries, I would have gone to this whether Gerry was in it or not. The fact that he was, was just extra incentive. I don’t know where the critics are coming up with these horror movie comparisons, that’s not true at all.

Edited by Rubee815

If the critics rate movie and write reviews of movies as their job, their reviews should be rated by readers too.

I don't think the critics are higher than anyone else. their reviews just a kind of opinion.

The movies are made for audience not for pleasing critics.

Edited by Jeanwhale

Think back as to how "300" was reviewed early on. Then the box office totals came up and they were quiet. I don't read critics because a good movie will do well by word of mouth. Journalism is political in this country and movie critics are worse than journalists. You can't trust either to give you the truth. LAC will rise or fall on its own.

~HUGS~ Kathy