Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Stef with an F

10/15 - Empire's 100 Sexiest Movie Stars

One of my favourite Alan Rickman movies is Truly, Madly, Deeply - it makes me bawl yet it also many very funny moments - similar to PS I Love You - a woman's husband [Alan Rickman] dies, her true soul mate, she is devastated and his ghost comes back to help to cope. He's had some good non villain roles, I have tried to watch most of his filmography, still have a way to go. Awfully Big Adventure is a great movie, Hugh Grant plays the bad guy for a change. Very surprise sad ending. Given his age, Alan still has it IMO but not over GerButs bwah. I have a friend who is a friend of his and he is a lovely man as well if not the typically neurotic actor but they are all neurotic, that is why they are drawn to acting.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers better be on the list. How wonderful to see him on the telly every week on The Tudors, that and I am fan of that era. Henry the VIII still continues to fascinate.

I am a long time fan of Gary Oldman. His career and life has taken some interesting twists and turns. I can't believe he is on wife No. 4. I like the new one so far. I knew No. 3 was a mistake. Long story. Too bad he blew it with Isabella Rosselini whom he had been engaged to. I think Wife. #3 is still making his life hell because he has custody of their sons. But I digress. Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman are friends, even before Harry Potter. Alan is especially good friends with Gary's first wife Lesley Manville, a wonderful underrated actress in her own right IMO.

That is why Gerry is smart not to get married at this point. Gary has a somewhat similar background to GB -- his father abandoned their family when he was 7 and he never really saw his father again until he just before he died of alcoholism related illness. And when Gary did his first movie as a producer and director, Nil By Mouth which again I think is a very underrated movie, I love it, very dark, very stark, gritty, somewhat autobiographical, and he went into major debt and had to take the big commerical roles like Harry Potter and Batman to try and pay that off. But he was determined to do his first movie his way. Ray Winstone was brilliant in it.

Now Guy Ritchie are you listening - how about this - a movie with Gerard Butler, lead of course, Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Ray Winstone and Jason Statham. Could be biblical. Certainly would be interesting. Oh throw in Clive Owen, Hugh Grant, Tim Roth and Hugh Jackman. Well Hugh might be the odd man out. Might have to substitute Daniel Craig. Throw in a cameo by Malcolm McDowell. In fact one two hour movie wouldn't do, make it a trilogy or something. Like Ocean's 11, 12 & 13.

All that foreign goodness in one movie? Honey, I wouldn't know who to **** first. :pant:

Guy Ritchie is sexy too....he and Gerry are funny when they interview together. I think Guy throws Gerry out there as bait to get the women going, LOL. It makes me laugh, cause Guy can def stand on his own merits, and it seems to make Gerry blush.

You know when I was in England I kept telling this one guy how much I loved his accent. He laughed and told me that in England he didn't have an accent, but I did, LOL. It's all about perspective, LOL, and of course he was spot on.

D

Guest Kyriem

I also like Matthew MacFadyen from Pride and Pred.

Me too!!!! I don't even know how many times I saw the Pride and Pred. dvd!!! :wuv: I can't wait to see Robin Hood with him and Russell Crowe!!

Sexy doesn't mean chisiled features and flat abs. Sexuality is something a person has and exudes. It comes from within rather than superficially in my opinion.

Delene

You're so right... :wave:

James McAvoy? Hugh Jackman? I hated clicking "lower" for them. Then there was George Clooney, who I've never liked and gladly cast my vote to demote. And... ALAN RICKMAN? IN THE TOP TEN? They did say "sexiest," right?

Steph

Yes, I love James McAvoy...such a sweetie and a master of accents! Hugh Jackman, OMG, he should be number 1 or 2, trading off with Gerry. He absolutely has it all. (including the older wife, which I appreciate) Alan Rickman - hey, he IS sexy! It may depend on the role, and he may be getting older, but he's had the whole Harry Potter international franchise for years, where he can smolder and slither and speak in mumbling slurs, peek out through that hair and be his sexy self.

There is no doubt that Gerry is the best, but as we are all free to express our opinions I just had to come to Alan's defense. There's just something about him. Besides, all these contests are basically popularity contests anyway. Whoever marshals their fans the best to make the most votes, who's had the latest hot movie, who's in the news for whatever reason. That's more what these Most Whatever things mean.

Let's support our man, but not get crazy about it. He's been steadily climbing the ladder and he's not going to fall off.

On a completely different note, I notice that on SNL they introduced him as GerARD instead of GERard. I guess he's tired of correcting people, but I do prefer his name the way it's supposed to be in his home country. I notice whenever any Europeans introduce him, they get it right.

quote from 'DNice09' 'Oct 17 2009, 03:25 PM' post

Now Guy Ritchie are you listening - how about this - a movie with Gerard Butler, lead of course, Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Ray Winstone and Jason Statham. Could be biblical. Certainly would be interesting. Oh throw in Clive Owen, Hugh Grant, Tim Roth and Hugh Jackman. Well Hugh might be the odd man out. Might have to substitute Daniel Craig. Throw in a cameo by Malcolm McDowell. In fact one two hour movie wouldn't do, make it a trilogy or something. Like Ocean's 11, 12 & 13.

Guy Ritchie is sexy too....he and Gerry are funny when they interview together. I think Guy throws Gerry out there as bait to get the women going, LOL. It makes me laugh, cause Guy can def stand on his own merits, and it seems to make Gerry blush.

D

endquote

Excellent commentary, D! Well researched.

This reminds me, Guy Ritchie can pretty much get lost, in my opinion. He was stupid enough to marry Madonna and then very ungraceful in getting unmarried. And they made that one awful movie together. What were they thinking? Is that love? Oh, well, at least it was a departure from the usual Ritchie fare - he's been writing and making the same gangsta movie, albeit clever ones, throughout his career.

But a bigger reason to get rid of Guy is because he sold Gerry out and used him to promote RockNRolla. The poster originally featured the other guy, and he was the right choice, script-wise, to be the featured character. Gerry was part of an ensemble in that movie, he was not the lead! Putting him on the poster and listing his name first was a blatant move to use his fame to promote the movie. I thought it was a cheesy low blow on Guy's part, almost desperate, actually, and very disrespectful to Gerry. Certainly not fair to the other actors.

Something tells me Gerry would not have had a problem with him being on the poster or certainly his PR and management team wouldn't The producers and director of the movie are going to do whatever they have to do to sell a movie, that is why they hire certain actors in the first place. Not just talent but potential box office draw of course. Maybe when the film was finished they realized Gerry's performance stood out like a lead or the film was edited that way. Part of the business I believe. You do what you gotta do and all actors understand they are commodities in the end.

Following a dispute Gary Oldman was having with the producers of the movie Contender, I was amazed how stuff like that is often negotiated in the initial contract, like billing, like poster content and the size of your photo on the poster etc. Oldman was upset about a few things - I was a bit disappointed in him at that point and he did damage his career a bit - he had rebounded to a degree but most of his indy stuff has gone straight to DVD if and the successful roles are supporting roles in blockbusters like Harry Potter and Batman, he's going to be in Jim Carrey's Christmas Carol - in other words he had to forgo the artistry for the paycheque in large measure. Hope he is able to get the opportunity to do something artistic again that actually makes it to a theatre. I think there might be one coming, I just remembered, it sounded promising. But not enough to stick in my head.

Guy's approach has been a bit formulaic admittedly though no more or less than Oceans 11 - 13, Batman, Harry Potter and all the others, just a bit hipper. I rather enjoy it because whilst he has a formula it is different than 95% of the other movies out there. However I would say if there is any serious consideration to do RocknRolla the sequel, and GB is interested, I would hope that some new writing blood be brought in to give it a fresh take or twist. Be interesting to see how Sherlock Holmes turns out - could be a turning point for Guy.

Edited by lavender1960

It was interestingly international - at least 3 Scots, and a sprinkling of Brits and Aussies, etc. But on the other hand, one of the whitest lists I´ve seen.

And Alan Rickman can read me a bedtime story anytime!

Very true! That's usually not the first thing that jumps out at me, but when you stop and think about it, it is very one-sided. I don't know if it's more a reflection of our culture's skewed sense of beauty (white is right, that is) or the media outlet's bias in selecting stars. But yeah, where were the Denzels, the Will Smiths, the Jamie Foxxs?

On a completely different note, I notice that on SNL they introduced him as GerARD instead of GERard. I guess he's tired of correcting people, but I do prefer his name the way it's supposed to be in his home country. I notice whenever any Europeans introduce him, they get it right.

That totally grated against my skin too. I think I actually moaned in protest when I heard it, especially since the announcer held it out for emphasis. It was like "GerAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRDDDDDDD Butler!" AHHHHHHH! You'd think that his publicist could get them to say it right at least for his TV appearances. There may be some concern as to confusion over what his name is if they pronounce it correctly though, because that's not how Americans think of the name Gerard, and they might misinterpret it as Jared.

Steph