Gerard Butler GALS

Law Abiding Citizen- Gals' reviews and discussion

AbandonThought

P.S. I also have to say here. I don't think it serves any purpose to reiterate or mention any of the negative comments that will no doubt float around out there and I won't be doing it here. I feel that when you do that, it just perpetuates it somewhat. Big deal. All movies and actors get them and people are entitled to their opinions. You can't please everyone. Personal attacks on anyone is childish anyway and people that do that are weak and insecure. Don't feed in to it by acknowledging it. Focus on the positive and move on!

I hope this wasn't meant for my post D... I don't think I was being negative nor feeding into a negative comment... on the contrary I was actually agreeing with it! Which BTW as explained...JMO! :kiss:

:wave: Frannie

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. I also have to say here. I don't think it serves any purpose to reiterate or mention any of the negative comments that will no doubt float around out there and I won't be doing it here. I feel that when you do that, it just perpetuates it somewhat. Big deal. All movies and actors get them and people are entitled to their opinions. You can't please everyone. Personal attacks on anyone is childish anyway and people that do that are weak and insecure. Don't feed in to it by acknowledging it. Focus on the positive and move on!

I hope this wasn't meant for my post D... I don't think I was being negative nor feeding into a negative comment... on the contrary I was actually agreeing with it! Which BTW as explained...JMO! :kiss:

No Frannie. In fact, I wrote this entire thing before you posted and had just not hit the button yet (got up and went to breakfast). I'm just stating this about my own decision to not talk about the negative and why I won't. I'm not chastising anyone. When I said people are entitled to their opinions, I wasn't talking about anyone here, although we certainly are, I was referring to critics, etc. My only suggestion to anyone who supports Gerry was to not give it any more credence then it deserves that's all.

Love and hugs to you, my friend. :kisswink:

Delene

I didn't think so Sweetie...you know I would never say or do anything negative about His Royal Hotness! :p I think I'm just Pessed because I haven't gotten to see it yet for one thing and my daughter is giving me a hard time because she was supposed to go with me...One thing is I can't drive at night... so now she wants me to wait til Sunday!! I'm just frustrated is all! I probably have no business even posting today... Thanks Goodness for Galfriends like you !

Delene, I think you made a good point--why dwell on the negative (press) which is kinda what

I did before I saw the movie. You just gave me good reason to ignore all of that--but I want to

offer that I did read 7 out of 9 reviews today that were POSITIVE, which really made me feel

much better. Now it is up to the box office attendance. I just want so much for this to be a big

success for Gerry, Evil Twins, and everyone connected to the movie. I know I will get back to

the film a couple more times this weekend, one, because I want to help with numbers, and

mostly because it is a da**ed good movie!!!

Judy

I am in here because it will be months before I get to see it and I want someone to give me the ultimate spoiler. I want to know the ending. Believe me knowing every detail of a Gerry movie will not stop me from watching it. I will own this someday.

I am sick of critics and their opinions. They are about like Paparazzi they need to get a real job.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

OK here's more from me (like you want it) ... third viewing ... I had all these thoughts to write while watching it ... I should take notes next time ...

I'm beginning to pick up on holes in the storyline, and it's bothering me. Since I love legal stuff the whole DNA thing is bothering me. I don't see how they wouldn't have Darcy's DNA after he raped the wife and daughter. JMHO.

In this viewing, there were two guys in there who were rooting for Nick. That was interesting. I wonder if it's because I'm a little biased on Gerry/Clyde's side. :lol:

I also picked up on Gerry's nuances of showing Clyde's regret over killing the DA's assistants. I don't think I noticed that before. Like he didn't really want to do it but he felt justified in teaching the lesson.

I also think that by the end, Clyde was ready to die. He was outwitted by Nick, but I felt that the look on his face and looking at the bracelet showed that he was ready to join his daughter. I did get a lump in my throat at the end.

I really love this movie so much. It's getting expensive seeing it over and over (and I just paid for my son and his girlfriend to see it), but I can't help it. It's just SOOO good!

On a lighter note (a much lighter note) did anyone else start hearing "The Phantom of the opera is there, inside your mind ..." while Nick and Dunnigan were walking down the tunnel? :rotflmao:

So they fight to death and Clyde dies? Gerry dies too damn much in his movies.

Seriously in real life I do not believe in vengeance or vigilante justice at all, but I can certainly see how someone could be tempted to kill someone who killed their spouse and child.

Love,

Tracy

Seriously in real life I do not believe in vengeance or vigilante justice at all, but I can certainly see how someone could be tempted to kill someone who killed their spouse and child.

Love,

Tracy

Nope, no fight to the death. It's way more intelligent than that. I think someone else posted how he dies, though. I can't believe you want to know all this Trace. LOL But Clyde's death was very appropriate and done perfectly.

On a lighter note (a much lighter note) did anyone else start hearing "The Phantom of the opera is there, inside your mind ..." while Nick and Dunnigan were walking down the tunnel?

Phoenixgirl: My husband and I double dated with our nephew and his wife last night - and she and I both commented about subtle references to Phantom: chandelier, mask, and trap doors. We all loved LAC and intend to see it again on the big screen.

Love,

Tracy

Nope, no fight to the death. It's way more intelligent than that. I think someone else posted how he dies, though. I can't believe you want to know all this Trace. LOL But Clyde's death was very appropriate and done perfectly.

I can't go to the movies, Lisa. I have to wait until the DVD comes out to see it. How would you feel if you had to wait that long to get your Clyde fix? I have to live vicariously through those of you who can go to the movies.

Love,

Tracy

On a lighter note (a much lighter note) did anyone else start hearing "The Phantom of the opera is there, inside your mind ..." while Nick and Dunnigan were walking down the tunnel?

Phoenixgirl: My husband and I double dated with our nephew and his wife last night - and she and I both commented about subtle references to Phantom: chandelier, mask, and trap doors. We all loved LAC and intend to see it again on the big screen.

Oh that is awesome. Those will tickle me to pieces.

Love,

Tracy

Are you sure none of you have seen Alan as in both showings I saw he was as clear as day. He is the priest sitting in front of them at the execution with the slick back hair you only see him for a few secs but I saw him.

I loved this film and I am beginning to think some critics have not even seen the film and just rehashing other reviews. There is no way this film is gory like SAW - I'm now even beginning to wonder if the critics have seen any SAW movies :lmao:

I am not a sick person but i would have liked to have seen more gore in the public execution of Ames and the chainsaw job on Darby - they did not deserve our sympathy - well not Darby anyway. I did feel a bit for Ames as although a guilty bystander I dont get the impression he was involved in the actual murders.

Gerry's range in emotions in this movie is what I hope will maybe see him perceived in a different light from now on. He shows he can act - not that we had any doubt.

I have to say the murder of the judge was so ingenious and had to laugh when Gerry told me at Urbanwolrd when I said it was the best fright I have ever had on screen that it was his idea and he proceeded to tell us how he pitched the idea. Trust him to come up with an idea with a cell phone :funnyup: Last time I jumped that high and screamed was in Se7en when they thought that guy was dead on the bed and shone a torch in his eye and he moved. You knew something ws going to happen with the judge from the trailer but i did not expect that.

First time I saw it I was beginning to think Sarah could have been his accomplice and that Clyde was maybe Chester but obviously not.

I have to say Clyde killing his cell mate was a WTF moment but as the story unfolds you realise everything that happens has been carefully orchestrated to ensure he can carry out the killings - from being naked when he is arrested so they do not think he is armed and shoot him to killing the cell mate to ensure he is put in solitary - it must have been a blast coming up with all these things and it was great to see Gerry was so involved.

Jamie Foxx was very good in this movie but i could not have seen him as Clyde - Gerry made that role his own and his accent was great. Viola Davis I enjoyed as the mayor - good strong female character like Sarah.

F Gary Gray has done an outstanding job and should be commended. I would like to know exactly what direction Frank Darabondt wanted this film to go in and how much it had changed from its original concept.

Gerry and Alan should be very proud of themselves for their first outing with Evil Twins. Its a great way to spend 2 hours.

I did think at the end although you never saw Clyde die I did wonder if he had a second hatch anywhere as somebody so methodical would have thought "what if they realise what I am up to - plan B". I too think he realised it was time to let go and join his family.

Well,. crap, Moira! Now I have to go see it again so I can see Alan! :lol:

I LOVE that Gerry came up with the idea of killing the cell mate. And now learning he came up with the judge's death, too. That's just awesome. Makes me even more proud of him.

I wasn't impressed with Viola Davis at all. I thought she over acted a bit. That's just me.

I do agree that this will show everyone in Hollywood what Gerry is made of. Hmmm, I seem to remember saying that about a year ago ... :D I also told him that ... :wuv: He really appreciated hearing it.

There's no way Jamie could have pulled off the role of Clyde without it looking like another black guy wronged by the system, you know? I think they did the smartest thing possible by changing roles. Gerry did make Clyde his own, and there are still some scene when I don't see Gerard Butler but I only see Clyde Alexander Shelton. Absolutely!

I love that we're all so into this movie. We'll be talking about it for a very, very long time.

I just saw the movie this afternoon. WOW!! OMG! Gerry and Jamie were excellent. My heart went out to Clyde, especially in the scene where Nick tells Clyde about the agreement. The look on Clyde's face was heartbreaking. I almost cried. Gerry really pulled that scene off.

I wasn't excepting the judge to die the way she did. It was very quick and came out of nowhere. The entire audience gasped and I heard people saying "I wasn't expecting that."

And there was the scene where Clyde was sharing his meal with his cell mate. You saw the knife in his hand. My sister and I looked at each other and whispered "this isn't going to be good. he's gonna get shanked while eating his last meal."

I also think Clyde wanted to die. Afterall, he lost everything and no one to live for.

I just saw the movie this afternoon. WOW!! OMG! Gerry and Jamie were excellent. My heart went out to Clyde, especially in the scene where Nick tells Clyde about the agreement. The look on Clyde's face was heartbreaking. I almost cried. Gerry really pulled that scene off.

I wasn't excepting the judge to die the way she did. It was very quick and came out of nowhere. The entire audience gasped and I heard people saying "I wasn't expecting that."

And there was the scene where Clyde was sharing his meal with his cell mate. You saw the knife in his hand. My sister and I looked at each other and whispered "this isn't going to be good. he's gonna get shanked while eating his last meal."

I also think Clyde wanted to die. Afterall, he lost everything and no one to live for.

It wasn't a knife, Mary. It was the bone from the steak. And Gerry created that scene!!!

OMG when Clyde is crying to Nick "the jury's gonna believe me" I almost lose it. God, Gerry nailed that scene perfectly!!! Makes my heart wrench every single time I see it!

Edited by phoenixgirl

I have to say the murder of the judge was so ingenious and had to laugh when Gerry told me at Urbanwolrd when I said it was the best fright I have ever had on screen that it was his idea and he proceeded to tell us how he pitched the idea.

Dear Moira,

Don't be a tease. :-) You can't just drop a bomb and not give the details. :-) How did he pitch the idea, what did he tell you? You are one of the "blessed" ones where Gerry is concerned, do share more with the rest of us who have to "live vicariously" through some of the other GALS like Tracy said in a previous post. :-)

Theresa

And the look on Clyde's face when Nick is shaking Darby's hand and then he walks off in disbelief and so defeated - his whole body limp and slumping.....heartbreaking in each slight detail... that is Gerry... he is in the details..

I didn't think so Sweetie...you know I would never say or do anything negative about His Royal Hotness! :p I think I'm just Pessed because I haven't gotten to see it yet for one thing and my daughter is giving me a hard time because she was supposed to go with me...One thing is I can't drive at night... so now she wants me to wait til Sunday!! I'm just frustrated is all! I probably have no business even posting today... Thanks Goodness for Galfriends like you !

I know you are a "loyal subject" to his royal hotness! Those days when you are most "frustrated" are exactly the days you should come here and post, Frannie! Don't ever apologize for that! I'm sorry you are having a bit of trouble seeing LAC but you will eventually. And I know how frustrating and hurtful any negative press can be regarding our man. But as I said, no movie or actor is immune to negativity. It's just the nature of the beast!

Delene, I think you made a good point--why dwell on the negative (press) which is kinda what

I did before I saw the movie. You just gave me good reason to ignore all of that--but I want to

offer that I did read 7 out of 9 reviews today that were POSITIVE, which really made me feel

much better. Now it is up to the box office attendance. I just want so much for this to be a big

success for Gerry, Evil Twins, and everyone connected to the movie. I know I will get back to

the film a couple more times this weekend, one, because I want to help with numbers, and

mostly because it is a da**ed good movie!!!

Judy

Seven out of nine sounds pretty good to me! From the trailers and teasers, I was excited about this movie and I was not disappointed even though I am not a fan of gore. This was Evil Twins first offering and they're just getting their feet wet, so to speak. You expect to get your nose bloodied a bit, especially the first time around and no one is immune to that, but you keep on going and focus on the positive.

Delene

I'm hearing some negative reports here so I thought I would post this item that I extracted from a Review about LAC. This should make you feel better.....

What I’ve discovered is that Gerard Butler (300, ROCKNROLLA) is rapidly becoming a new favorite actor of mine. No, not because of his ridiculously intimidating abs, but because he always brings a depth to his roles that would otherwise feel shallow and superficial. Butler conveys the mixed emotions, troubled conscience and the passionate drive of Clyde to make his point powerfully evident and convincing. We understand why Clyde is doing what he does in the film, even empathize with him a bit, but we also realize that he’s crossing all kinds of lines in doing so, making him a character who straddles the line of good and evil, right and wrong, just and unjust.

SPOILER ALERT

I saw this movie Friday and I loved it. I saw some holes but only little ones that are easily overlooked. After all, this is a movie not a law lesson. It was entertaining, which it is supposed to be. It made me jump when I don't normally do that in movies. Even my husband turned to me and said, "Did you know that was coming?", because he jumped as well. Like Lisa, I felt Clyde was prepared to die. When he saw what was under his bed there was a slight smile like he expected his death. He quietly sat on the bed and kept his eyes on his daughter's bracelet as if to say, "I did it all in your memory, now I can die". I felt like the men in the theater reacted to this movie quite a bit. They loved the "It will be Biblical" moment. I think most men would side with Clyde because they can relate as fathers. The audience was full of men, and they weren't that young either. Of course, there were plenty of ladies present. When the judge got her's I heard a gal say, "Maybe she can do what she wants but evidently so can Clyde". I have a feeling this will be a talked about movie from the message it brings.

I thought not seeing the torture scene but letting us know exactly what Clyde was going to do was genius. It made the point, put it in our minds, but we did not have to endure the visual. The visual would have made us look at Clyde differently. He would have become more sick in our minds, less sympathetic. Just my opinion. I liked the way F. Gary Gray directed these scenes. We still got to see the finished product of what Clyde did to Grady.

I'll leave it at that.

~HUGS~ Kathy

OK

I'm beginning to pick up on holes in the storyline, and it's bothering me. Since I love legal stuff the whole DA thing is bothering me. I don't see how they wouldn't have Darcy's DNA after he raped the wife and daughter. JMHO.

This is what I got from the short meeting between Clyde and Nick and my own experience with the law. It seemed to me that they had DNA evidence implicating Darby in the crime because some of Clyde or his wife or daughter's blood was on Darby's clothes. Nick mentions the Exclusionary Rule though, which renders any evidence gathered incident to an illegal search inadmissible at trial. My interpretation was that when the police obtained Darby's clothes they did so without a warrant and without probable cause, so the evidence was inadmissible. As to having Darby's DNA as a result of the rape, I would guess that he used a condom. Afterall, when he stands up to go get the little girl he's wearing trashbags taped around his feet, so it's obvious that he's consciously trying to minimize evidence against him (I also think that's why he killed them all... except Clyde survived). That's my thoughts. I don't think they gave us enough detail in that brief conversation to really know what the deal with the evidence was, but that's one way that I thought it through so that it would be consistent.

First time I saw it I was beginning to think Sarah could have been his accomplice and that Clyde was maybe Chester but obviously not.

Yep, I started having the same thoughts. I think they did that deliberately to throw you off regarding Clyde's accomplice. If so, they did a great job, because they did it so subtlely.

I have to say Clyde killing his cell mate was a WTF moment but as the story unfolds you realise everything that happens has been carefully orchestrated to ensure he can carry out the killings - from being naked when he is arrested so they do not think he is armed and shoot him to killing the cell mate to ensure he is put in solitary - it must have been a blast coming up with all these things and it was great to see Gerry was so involved.

I knew that he had a reason for killing his cellmate, I just thought it was a different one. In fact, when the spy guy said "you think that was random?" with respect to Clyde killing the cellmate, I actually laughed out loud... No, of course I didn't think it was random! :) Anyway, I thought he did it to get into solitary as a defense from the other prisoners. Clyde is a very smart man and obviously, no one is safe from him when he's had time to plan out his attack, but in prison brute strength seems to be the name of the game. As smart as he is, and even being in as good shape as he is, if 5 inmates came up to him in the shower or exercise yard, there would be nothing he could do. So, that was what I thought, but his reason was even better than mine. :D

Steph

Edited by AbandonThought

Now which scene was Gerry's, death by cell phone or steak bone?

Delene

Moira said he told her the cell phone scene, and in the Ask Men interview he said the steak bone scene - so apparently BOTH! :D Our man surely had his beautiful hand in many aspects of this movie.

Now which scene was Gerry's, death by cell phone or steak bone?

Delene

Moira said he told her the cell phone scene, and in the Ask Men interview he said the steak bone scene - so apparently BOTH! :D Our man surely had his beautiful hand in many aspects of this movie.

So that explains the look on Clyde's face when they handed him the spork! Very clever and so Steven King!

Delene

That was a steak bone? That makes sense now! I wasn't sure what he'd stabbed his cellmate with. That scene, while not surprising because of how they led up to it, was one of the most shocking for me. I knew it couldn't have been random, but that still didn't stop me from saying WTH??

I was glad the home invasion scene wasn't drawn out. Watching that scene was my biggest fear in seeing this film.

I was VERY glad they didn't show the little girl actually being killed.

I'm also glad they didn't show too much of Darby's death. Clyde telling him what he was going to do to him was enough for me to aptly get the picture. Not to mention when they found his bloody torso.

I love that Clyde didn't have an accomplice. The fact that the last ten years of planning was so completely solitary was perfect.

Gerry knocked this performance out of the ballpark. He was amazing as Clyde.