Gerard Butler GALS

Law Abiding Citizen- Gals' reviews and discussion

AbandonThought

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I just got back from seeing this again. You'd think by the 6th time I wouldn't jump during the cell phone scene, but I still do.

The audience really seems to enjoy the movie. There's quite a bit of laughter in appropriate places and I definitely think everyone was rooting for Clyde.

About the end. I also liked the shot of Clyde looking at the bracelet and I thought everything was really good through the explosions. I liked the mood and the fact that it wasn't loud. I thought that worked well.

I definitely see the point of showing the recital and agree Steph that it was meant to show how Nick had changed. It probably could have been a few seconds shorter, but that's minor.

I'm going to see Rain tomorrow afternoon, then I'm supposed to go see LAC w/ my sister. It definitely beats mowing the grass, which is my alternative.

Later girlies,

Ren

I agree, the crowd reactions for LAC are just great. It's one movie where I wish for a crowded theatre, because I think it adds to the experience to hear the people around you go "aww, dam!" when Clyde tells off the judge or even scream out in surprise when she dies.

I've also gotten the feeling that almost everyone in the audiences with me have been rooting for Clyde. It's a little strange, and I'm going to start talking in generalities here, so nobody jump down my throat... I live in New Orleans, which has a large black population. The showings of LAC that I've been to have had a lot of black people in attendance (often nearing or exceeding 50%), and I think it's largely due to Jamie Foxx's popularity in the black community. However, there is also a lot of animosity around here in the black community toward law enforcement, as it's a fact that blacks are overrepresented in the criminal justice system, often due to racial prejudice. So, I was curious to see who the crowd would lean toward... Nick, being played by Jamie Foxx... or Clyde, who was wronged by the CJS. It seemed to me that Clyde came out on top.

[Disclaimer: I absolutely did not mean to offend anyone by my analysis above. I have a degree in Criminology, which is a division of Sociology, and sociology is all about generalities. I dislike making generalities based on race, because they can so easily be misconstrued, but sometimes it's warranted. I hope no one interprets my comments as meaning that I think all black people think a certain way or like a certain actor. Thanks!]

Steph

OMG!! I finally got to see this movie! I think, this is my new favorite movie. I have never seen anyone get shanked with a steak bone before. It was morbidly amazing! And the cell phone thing, holy crap!! I gotta go see this again! I won't go into details or tear the movie apart, disecting the script isn't my thing. It did have it's bad points, but I am just too amazed by Gerry's performance. I can't help but have a newfound respect, knowing what he had to go through in his head, to make this role what it is. There had to be nightmares for a while.

I Love this man!!! He's so awesome!

Okay, I saw LAC again today, and had a few more thoughts to discuss (...will the thoughts on this movie ever end?!) :D

In the home invasion scene, I'd never quite caught what was said between Clyde and his wife when the knocking on the door starts. This time, I got it. She says "Are you just going to let the help get that?" and Clyde whispers to his daughter "I thought you and I were the help!" Don't know if anyone had similar trouble, but I thought I'd post it anyway. :)

Okay, I made a mental note of the drug container from the lethal injection that Clyde wrote "Can't fight fate" on so that I could see what it was, to see if it would really cause the reaction in the movie. It was Pancuronium Bromide. Unfortunately, when I looked it up, this is just a muscle relaxant, which is part of the normal cocktail for a lethal injection, so it wasn't the "something a little more deliberate" that Clyde had swapped out. Although, it does seem odd that if the prisoner was actually given a muscle relaxant he would have been able to have such a strong seizure-type reaction. Definitely not supposed to be watching this closely, I know...

Oh, and just to be even more of a geek, I just read up online about tetrodotoxin (what Clyde gives Darby to paralyze him but keep him conscious). The movie seems to be spot on on that one.

In the first scene when Nick is trying to get Clyde's confession and Clyde calls him back, Clyde is pointing out that he never said anything incriminating, and he says "check the tape, Nick." Of course, this functionally just meant for him to look at the closed circuit surveillance footage to go back and see that Clyde never admitted guilt, but this time when I heard it it reminded me that he had JUST sent a tape of himself committing the murder to Nick's house! Well, a DVD... but still. It seemed to have a bit of a double-meaning, because that tape (...DVD) also had nothing incriminating.

Okay, here's my involved one. I found myself taking note in this viewing of Clyde and the things he says, as communicating about his religious views. First of all, in the scene when Nick gives him back the Daddy bracelet, Clyde says "My wife and daughter can't feel anything. They're dead." This seems to communicate pretty strongly that Clyde, at least at that point, did not believe in any sort of life after death. An atheist perhaps? (Said with no judgment whatsoever, I'm not religious myself). And after noticing that, I was struck by Clyde referring to the criminal justice system as a "disease corrupt temple" and his phrasing that his tearing down the system would be "Biblical." I guess I don't completely know what to make of it, but it strikes me as a little curious. Perhaps it's speaking to the fact that Clyde lost his faith in the criminal justice system in a way similar to how someone could lose their faith in God as a result of corrupt organized religion. Hmmm... it's just kind of a noodle-scratcher.

I know that there has been plenty of discussion above about the whole Chester/Clyde possibility, and how it's a little odd that Chester played such a pivotal role in Clyde's downfall, yet he's a character that's never even present in the story. I kind of wrote my own alternate ending while I was watching LAC today... check it out... Chester was Clyde (of course that means that Sarah didn't actually die), and he sent the corporate accounting information to Nick to purposefully set him on the course to find the bomb. AND, he anticipated that Nick would bring it back to his cell, at which point Clyde outwitted him, escaped, and left Nick there to die in his place. And I don't know this for sure, but it seems like the napalm-like substance could consume the body so completely that they might assume Clyde was dead, and then he'd be free. Just a little thought. :)

Another little thing I noticed... in the scene when Clyde is arrested, is he making a scale model of Da Vinci's flying machine? Also, there's a piece of a steel structure behind him that seems to resemble the model... the real thing?

Okay, that's probably enough for now.

Steph

Wow, Steph. And here I thought things were just written that way in the script. LOL I swear I have never analyzed a movie that much. :lol: Not a bad thing; just something I've never done. It would be interesting, though, to speak to all the people who put the script together, Gerry included, as to the hows and whys of things, like your religious theory.

On my first viewing I did notice the Da Vinci sculpture, though. :) The one he's working on, anyway.

Interesting, Steph. Thanks for the food for thought.

Wow, Steph. And here I thought things were just written that way in the script. LOL I swear I have never analyzed a movie that much. :lol: Not a bad thing; just something I've never done. It would be interesting, though, to speak to all the people who put the script together, Gerry included, as to the hows and whys of things, like your religious theory.

On my first viewing I did notice the Da Vinci sculpture, though. :) The one he's working on, anyway.

Interesting, Steph. Thanks for the food for thought.

Yeah, I know. I'm overthinking it... but I can't help it! I'm tempted to bring a notepad so that I can take note of anything I find curious or want to comment on later. Although, I guess by the length of my last post, I did an okay job remembering it.

Oh, I would kill to be able to talk with Gerry about this movie. I'd love to see a really in-depth interview with him on the progression of the story, his contributions to the script and other things. I'm a writer, and I'm truly fascinated by the process that goes on in the evolution from a screenplay that someone penned individually to what shows up in theatres.

Wow... I guess I never realized 'til know what a geek I am.

(and that's a fooking lie if I've ever heard one!)

:lol:

Steph

I won't be seeing the movie until tomorrow night, but I must know something before I decide whether or not to take my mom to see this.

I heard a scathing review on our local morning radio show, where the guy said this film is even gorier than the SAW movies. He said that Clyde cuts off a guys body parts and that you see the whole thing. Is this true? Please PM me and let me know the honest truth about how gory this movie is.

Thanks!

I PMed you my take on the level of gore!

Steph

I heard there was a rape scene in this movie. i cant stand those. too unbearable for me. who does it involve in the movie? not the daughter is it? only thing keeping me from seeing it.

I won't be seeing the movie until tomorrow night, but I must know something before I decide whether or not to take my mom to see this.

I heard a scathing review on our local morning radio show, where the guy said this film is even gorier than the SAW movies. He said that Clyde cuts off a guys body parts and that you see the whole thing. Is this true? Please PM me and let me know the honest truth about how gory this movie is.

Thanks!

I PMed you my take on the level of gore!

Steph

I heard there was a rape scene in this movie. i cant stand those. too unbearable for me. who does it involve in the movie? not the daughter is it? only thing keeping me from seeing it.

The rape scene is involving the wife, but it is not graphic at all. It's more implied, in my opinion. If you're not paying close attention, you might not realize it happened.

Sadly, he rapes them both, but you never see anything (nor never hear about it). You see a tiny bit with the wife, just him pulling up her clothes, you hear him zipping his zipper, and then the rest is implied. It's not an integral part of the story nor anything graphic.

Sadly, he rapes them both, but you never see anything (nor never hear about it). You see a tiny bit with the wife, just him pulling up her clothes, you hear him zipping his zipper, and then the rest is implied. It's not an integral part of the story nor anything graphic.

That's why I loved the way Clyde killed this monster. He absolutely, positively deserved every bit of cutting. I wish they brought back these medieval methods to execute these bastards.

That's why I loved the way Clyde killed this monster. He absolutely, positively deserved every bit of cutting. I wish they brought back these medieval methods to execute these bastards.

Until just this past year Louisiana imposed the death penalty for the rape of a child under 7. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), the Supreme Court ruled this past summer that it was cruel and unusual to impose the death penalty for a crime that did not result in a death.

There are some other states that still have laws on the books making other crimes that may not result in death capital offenses (such as train-wrecking... hehe), but Louisiana was the only one to try to impose such a penalty in recent memory.

Sorry, just a little legal aside.

Steph

Finally had a chance to go and see LAC with my DH on Tuesday night, his first, my second. I noticed a couple of things...

All of the letters in the bracelet were readable.

Did anyone notice the smile on Clyde's face when he realized that he couldn't stop the firebomb from going off?

Ahhhh, the judge..."I'm a judge and I can do pretty much whatever I want to." and then... DH and I both gave a high five on that one. (Those familiar with what we have gone through in the last three years understand this comment.)

DH's comment at the end of the movie was that he rooted for Clyde throughout the entire movie AND he would have no problem doing what Clyde did if someone invaded our home, raped and killed his children and raped and killed his wife. He also commented that he thought Nick learned his lesson on how precious a family is and this is shown in his reaction at the recital.

We both agreed - 4 to 4.5 stars - we intend to see it again and can't wait for the DVD with extra features. We can't wait to see what ended up on the editing room floor.

Good observations, Catwoman!

Yeah, when discussing it I was remembering the bracelet letters as being unreadable from glare, but then the last time I went back and was watching I was like "hey! They're TOTALLY readable!" Apparently my mind was watching a different movie at some point. :)

That was a perfect line for the judge to deliver just before biting it. Really makes you feel no sympathy, although, to be fair, I think at the moment she was really just speaking with respect to cell phones. :)

So, random funny moment... I was talking with my Mom about LAC just after she and my Dad had gone to see it, and I was asking her about the scene where Clyde was arrested. Since it was filmed right around where my Dad grew up I felt like I recognized the particular house and was asking her if she did as well. Her response was "I don't know, I wasn't really paying much attention to the house..." :lol: That's my Mom!

Steph

Catwoman, I laugh everytime I see her head blow off. :lmao: Maybe I'm sick, but there are some people in the legal world who just deserve to go away.

I'm going again tomorrow - FINALLY!!! It's been almost two weeks and I'm dying.

I also noticed the smile, which is why I LOVE the way the movie ends. Clyde knew ... Nick finally learned the lesson he was trying to teach him. :)

I think it's wonderful how two weeks after it's been out we can still talk about it like we're still so amazed by it. And that's cause we are!

Hey, did you guys look to the left and see the Russian poster????? :drool1:

LAC was a fast paced thriller for sure and I always enjoy a good thriller, but just a bit to much murder and distruction in it for me. The movie "Taken" was kind of on the same level way to over the top so as the scales didn't balance out quite right. I think we as people just exspect fast and furious in todays world and I'm not saying there is anythhing wrong with the theory. The world is fast and furious beyond comprehension so why not keep step. But I still need a slow paced ,Gerry, movie to balance me out once again. In time he will probably surprise us all with a feel good movie of his choice. Right now movie making has become a nighmare situation on a run away roller coaster. The coaster has to come to a full stop so people can get off and get their wits about them. But all in all I did enjoy LAC... with justice for all.

Catwoman, I laugh everytime I see her head blow off. :lmao: Maybe I'm sick, but there are some people in the legal world who just deserve to go away.

I'm going again tomorrow - FINALLY!!! It's been almost two weeks and I'm dying.

I also noticed the smile, which is why I LOVE the way the movie ends. Clyde knew ... Nick finally learned the lesson he was trying to teach him. :)

I think it's wonderful how two weeks after it's been out we can still talk about it like we're still so amazed by it. And that's cause we are!

Hey, did you guys look to the left and see the Russian poster????? :drool1:

It is so cool how they write his name. I had to learn Russian for 8 years in school. It was mandatory during Communism, so of course we hated it with a passion. :lol:

I forgot everything, cannot speak at all but can still read it.

Random LAC moment:

I was talking with a friend of mine in one of my classes this morning, and we were discussing topics that we were going to choose for these big papers that we have to write for law review next semester. I mentioned that I was thinking about writing about plea bargaining, the pros and cons of the policy, as well as the laws that various jurisdictions have enacted prohibiting it. He said it sounded like a good idea, and--completely on his own--he mentioned that it was kind of a hot topic right now "with that movie." I couldn't believe my ears for a second! :) Anyway, I promptly threw in my plug and recommended he see the movie.

I love Gerry moments.

Steph

Random LAC moment:

I was talking with a friend of mine in one of my classes this morning, and we were discussing topics that we were going to choose for these big papers that we have to write for law review next semester. I mentioned that I was thinking about writing about plea bargaining, the pros and cons of the policy, as well as the laws that various jurisdictions have enacted prohibiting it. He said it sounded like a good idea, and--completely on his own--he mentioned that it was kind of a hot topic right now "with that movie." I couldn't believe my ears for a second! :) Anyway, I promptly threw in my plug and recommended he see the movie.

I love Gerry moments.

Steph

That's so cool, Steph!

It was Pancuronium Bromide.

Well that's what it said on the label but if Clyde switched the stuff, he probably would have just replaced the substance.

Until just this past year Louisiana imposed the death penalty for the rape of a child under 7. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), the Supreme Court ruled this past summer that it was cruel and unusual to impose the death penalty for a crime that did not result in a death.

Now this is screwed up! How cruel and unusual was it to traumatize this poor child not to mention the damage he has done to her physically. A seven year old genatalia will not withstand that kind of trauma. But I think death is too good for someone like that. Castration would be a much better punishment. We've got this thing out here on the farm we use on cattle that would do nicely.

Delene

I went to see LAC by myself again today (x3) early showing. Just four people total in there, all women. They were too quiet for me -- I was laughing out loud, clapping and jumping and enjoying the H out of the movie!

As a little anecdote: When I paid for my ticket the lady in the ticket booth said loudly "Law Abiding Citizen, hey--that was a great movie!" I asked her "Oh, so you finally saw one of my Gerard Butler movies?" Now this bored ticket lady has gotten used to seeing me this year come in over and over just for the Gerry movies! :lol: She knows me as the one who asks for the movie posters (which I never get). So she finally got a bit of the Gerry juice! :drool1:

:hugs:

Diane

This is the best movie I think Gerard has done. We get to see the bad side, but not like POTO. I can't wait to get the DVD and his next movie comes out!

Love the Man! :pant: