Gerard Butler GALS

Good news! The first numbers are pretty good!!! LAC is n°2!!! :) I'm so relieved to see that it did better than Paranormal Activity and The Stepfather!

Law Abiding Citizen, the critically ravaged prison drama starringJamie Foxx and Gerard Butler, found a surprisingly great $7.5 million on Friday. I predicted it to earn just $9.5 million, so this is definitely a break out hit. It could be headed to a $20 million weekend.

http://blog.theboxofficejunkie.com/2009/10...things-are.html

http://blog.theboxofficejunkie.com/

Edited by Novelistgirl
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great! Hope the twitter will bring more audience into theater. The audience response is really good. I read many good comments such as "Movie of the Year"... "A Must See"...etc... on twitter. People like it :). Hope the Box Office will do well, too.

Edited by Jeanwhale

The resposne via Twitter has been phenomenal IMO nobody is agreeing with the critics and I think with word of mouth this could be a 2 fingers up to the critics. It is like what we see and what the critics see is a totally different movie. I know B.O predictions had this in early teens but I think it will be more like late teens early 20s. I think they underestimate the power of twitter and the fact people will make their own mind up about a movie.

I'm not expecting it to be #1 simply because Where The Wild Things Are is a kids movie and they are a big chunk of the movie going public but oh how I would laugh in the face of all these critics if Law Abiding Citizen did amazing business.

I know from experience that I have missed out on some decent movies because a critic I admired gave it a lousy review only to find when i saw it on DVD it would've been worth seeing on big screen. I often wonder if these critics have an issue with Gerry and can't see past him. I know in UK one of my fave movie critics is Christopher Tookie in The Daily Mail but for some reason he slaughters any movie Gerry is in. TUT and PSILY got lousy reviews but on the whole I agree with alot of his critiques.

Moira

Psycological support urgently required!

Please someone explain to me why we should be happy with No 2 and about 20m grossing over the first weekend. I mean this would be great for any of Gerry's other films but this is supposed to be one of his "great works". And not just his, but Jamie Foxx's and F.Gary Gray's too. The man put his heart and soul into this project for more than two years, there was blood, sweat and tears from everyone inolved. All those who have seen it seem to think it's amazing. And it's not just Gerry with the burden and responsibility to do a great job and attract the audience. There is so much talent involved in this movie.

I have been so hyped by all the buzz about this film, I was convinced it could easily go to No 1 because it is the new Silence of the Lambs. What did that movie have that LAC doesn't? What does one have to do to have a No 1 film and sweep the box office?

And what is this we read about critics ravaging LAC? The reviews we have seen posted on this site were good to very good. Have there been nasty reviews that we "spared of"?

Normally I am a person who sees the glass half full but this time I feel so disappointed by the audience. Come on, TUT did almost 27m the first weekend! Don't get me wrong, I love TUT and have seen it a trillion times but surely LAC deserves better.

Clearly I have a lot to learn about the movie industry so I hope someone can show me the bright side of this development. I so believed this was going to be Gerry's BIG BIG moment, that it would surpass 300, so I am close to tears. Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Theresa

This is sooooooooooo good to hear! :butterfly:

I am doing a preliminary "Happy Dance"! :bellydance:

Can't wait until the final weekend figures are in!

This is the time to see this movie more than once if you really like it.

And as F. Gary Gray said, "Be sure that your ticket says 'Law Abiding Citizen'! That is how they get financial accouting.

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

terezoulini, I don't know for sure, but I think thrillers are not the kind of films that gather the biggest audience. Today, people seem to prefer to see romantic comedies, or sci-fi movies, adventure movies, or family movies. I might be wrong, but I haven't heard of any recent thriller that had huge box office numbers.

I had a feeling right from the beginning, when I heard about LAC for the first time, that it would not be the kind of story that could get amazing numbers. I thought it would do well. And it's doing well. But I don't think it was made in the hope of doing as well as 300 for instance. Just my opinion.

I'm happy with the numbers of LAC so far. I thought it would do about $18 million over the first weekend. Glad to see it might well be higher than that. :)

Let's not forget that $20 million over the weekend is good! A lot of movies don't even get half of that on the first weekend. And when I see the words "hit" and "great" in an article regarding the BO numbers for LAC, I'm happy. :)

Edited by Novelistgirl

There is no way an R rated movie is ever going to beat out at a family movie at the box office. Particularly an adaption of a children’s classic. It’s not going to happen and I suspect the executives at Overture films knew this going in when they selected Oct 16th has the release date. They were counter programming against the family movie hoping to draw the adult & urban market. LAC was never going to be 30,000,000 plus. Its real competition is Paranormal Activity, Stepfather and Couples Retreat and it looks like LAC might finish ahead of those films. That’s a good thing and a very good thing for Gerry and the LAC team.

I found LAC to be a well crafted and smart thriller, not sure why the critics here don’t like it. (Maybe they are taking coffee and cigarette breaks rather then keeping their behinds in their seats and actually watching the movie!) But I suspect it will get better reviews in Europe that always seems to be the case.

I really can't agree ....for example...Nims Island??? Not that great at the box office! Also most of the time you hear Romcoms are also not that great at the box office... I must have seen the wrong report because I saw that "Couples" a definite more com than rom has topped this week-ends box office so far at 30 million!! Vince Vaughn! :tantrum: :tantrum: Nope, I don't get it either!

:wave: Frannie

I haven't seen Lac yet...hoping to tonight.. I want to be able to watch it as a non Gerry Fan for my own satisfaction to see if it's just the fact that I adore him and he can do no wrong or if I REALLY like this movie! To me the critics don't mean a hill of beans but the take at the box office just doesn't lie! Can it be that people really do listen to these over opinionated blowhards? OOPS! Sorry I forgot....no name calling! :lalala:

Edited by ladyfran

terezoulini, I don't know for sure, but I think thrillers are not the kind of films that gather the biggest audience. Today, people seem to prefer to see romantic comedies, or sci-fi movies, adventure movies, or family movies. I might be wrong, but I haven't heard of any recent thriller that had huge box office numbers.

I had a feeling right from the beginning, when I heard about LAC for the first time, that it would not be the kind of story that could get amazing numbers. I thought it would do well. And it's doing well. But I don't think it was made in the hope of doing as well as 300 for instance. Just my opinion.

I'm happy with the numbers of LAC so far. I thought it would do about $18 million over the first weekend. Glad to see it might well be higher than that. :)

Let's not forget that $20 million over the weekend is good! A lot of movies don't even get half of that on the first weekend. And when I see the words "hit" and "great" in an article regarding the BO numbers for LAC, I'm happy. :)

Thanks, as I said I am not familiar with this business because this is the first time I am following an actor's career so closely. Your comments and Rubee815's make me see things from a different perspective. I hope you're right, because I can't bear the idea of Gerry being disappointed about it.

Theresa

Glad that LAc is doing decently at the box office this weekend. We know that the critics are not always the voice of the general public and that (thankfully) seems to be the case here.

Theresa I'm with you in that I am a bit concerned that Gerry might take this personally if this movie doesn't do well, especially becasue of the imput he has had in it. Luckily it seems that it will be okay, lets just hope it continues.

Amanda

There is no way an R rated movie is ever going to beat out at a family movie at the box office. Particularly an adaption of a children's classic. It's not going to happen and I suspect the executives at Overture films knew this going in when they selected Oct 16th has the release date. They were counter programming against the family movie hoping to draw the adult & urban market. LAC was never going to be 30,000,000 plus. Its real competition is Paranormal Activity, Stepfather and Couples Retreat and it looks like LAC might finish ahead of those films. That's a good thing and a very good thing for Gerry and the LAC team.

I found LAC to be a well crafted and smart thriller, not sure why the critics here don't like it. (Maybe they are taking coffee and cigarette breaks rather then keeping their behinds in their seats and actually watching the movie!) But I suspect it will get better reviews in Europe that always seems to be the case.

As usual, I agree with you. I have said ever since we learned that Wild Things would be released the same weekend that it would take Number One. This is a movie way different from Nim's. Wild Things is a beloved childhood story that people of my generation are running to take their kids to see because we read it to them. It has more to do with nostalgia than anything else.

As for Number 2 position, helluva lot better than not being there at all! For an R rated thriller movie, that's pretty damned good. I think the star power of Gerry and Jamie will carry it above The Stepfather (which I really wanted to see). I don't think the reviews will keep people away; I think, like Moira said, word of mouth will bring the people in the seats, especially tonight. Saturday night is date night (at least that's what I remember) and I'm sure the kids will see Wild Things during the day and their parents, and other adults, will go see LAC tonight.

Before we dance or cry, I think we need to let the weekend happen and then see on Monday where LAC came in.

:2cents:

Edited by phoenixgirl

I really can't agree ....for example...Nims Island??? Not that great at the box office! Also most of the time you hear Romcoms are also not that great at the box office... I must have seen the wrong report because I saw that "Couples" a definite more com than rom has topped this week-ends box office so far at 30 million!! Vince Vaughn! :tantrum: :tantrum: Nope, I don't get it either!

I haven't seen Lac yet...hoping to tonight.. I want to be able to watch it as a non Gerry Fan for my own satisfaction to see if it's just the fact that I adore him and he can do no wrong or if I REALLY like this movie! To me the critics don't mean a hill of beans but the take at the box office just doesn't lie! Can it be that people really do listen to these over opinionated blowhards? OOPS! Sorry I forgot....no name calling! :lalala:

Lady Fran those are last weekends box office figures, (Oct 9-10th) according to the projected figures for this weekend, Where the Wild Things Are will be number 1 and Couples will be somewhere in the top 5, its business is falling off quite a bit with the competition from the new releases.

OK, maybe the news is good after all. Here is what Variety says:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801006...d=3762&cs=1

"Overture Films’ drama-thriller "Law Abiding Citizen" starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler also fared well in second with $7.6 million off 2,890, giving the distrib a record opening day since it began unspooling films in January 2008. "Citizen" bested Overture’s previous opening day high, the Robert De Niro-Al Pacino thriller "Righteous Kill" which generated $5.8 million in September of last year."

So Gerry/Jamie are doing better than Robert/Al! This alone is amazing! And if $5.8m is considered good for two powerhouses like De Niro and Pacino, who are we to complain for our $7.6? :-)

Thank God, I am feeling better and better about this. What do you think?

Theresa

Edited by terezoulini

OK, maybe the news is good after all. Here is what Variety says:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801006...d=3762&cs=1

"Overture Films’ drama-thriller "Law Abiding Citizen" starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler also fared well in second with $7.6 million off 2,890, giving the distrib a record opening day since it began unspooling films in January 2008. "Citizen" bested Overture’s previous opening day high, the Robert De Niro-Al Pacino thriller "Righteous Kill" which generated $5.8 million in September of last year."

So Gerry/Jamie are doing better than Robert/Al! This alone is amazing! And if $5.8m is considered good for two powerhouses like De Niro and Pacino, who are we to complain for our $7.6? :-)

Thank God, I am feeling better and better about this. What do you think?

Theresa

That's great that this is Overture's best opening day! I really liked Righteous Kill, so this is great news. :D

Steph

Ladies I just came back from seeing LAC and the theater was packed! I think opening weekend will do good numbers.I'll be back to see it again with my own money this time. :wuv:

Here are the preliminary numbers as of very early AM Oct 18, they will have firmer numbers out later today. This is very good news, it’s got to make Gerry very happy.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

At a surprise #2, Overture's Law Abiding Citizen starring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler did a better than expected with $7.5M Friday and $8.3M Saturday for a $21M weekend from 2,889 venues.

On imdb it had LAC at #2 with 21.2m as well. Yes it would have been great if it had made #1 or took in more money but if WTWTA is a beloved children's classic book then it is obvious parents will be flocking to the cinema with their kids.

I also think in this current climate people are looking for a laugh and feel good movie so comedies and rom-coms do tend to fair better than a drama. I think it has done great to get to #2 and Gerry should be very proud.

If anything people have not listened to the critics and made their own mind up - more intelligent people out there than i gave credit for :lmao:

Moira

The budget is $50 million according to box office mojo.................so it should make that back at the USA box office ...do you agree.

Does anyone know what the cinemascore is likely to be as this is apparently key to overall box office takings.

Nothing new here, but I like the snarky tone toward the film critics. This site gave LAC a good review.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/wher...umpus-jcarn.php

The big surprise was how well Law Abiding Citizen did: $21 million, just ahead of Paranormal Activity. That showing represents a big box office win for Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler , and yet another total defeat for the nation’s film critcs who crucified the movie, only to see it make a lot more money than most everyone expected.