Gerard Butler GALS

10/18 - LAC #2 Grosses w/e $21.3 million

becozy

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainm...izen-shine.html

excerpt:

...at No. 2 for the weekend...Overture Films for financier the Film Department grossed $21.3 million, a solid start given its $50-million production budget. Despite polling that indicated it would play primarily to older males, audiences were very diverse, giving the movie better-than-expected commercial traction.

Just got back from my third viewing and the lines were long again but the best part was hearing everybody say" 2 for Law Abiding" just about everybody a few oddballs(lol) wanted to see the Stepfather.MY sis even started texting her friends to tell them to go see it! That made me feel good!!

Despite polling that indicated it would play primarily to older males, audiences were very diverse,

Let me see if I understand this right: there was actually a professional who did a poll for a film with Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx and came out with the conclusion that it would mainly draw older males???!!!!!!!!! They actually paid the firm that did the polling? It amazes me that they actually had to resosrt to polling for an obvious answer and they even got that wrong! :-)

Theresa

I wanted to go again today but had a problem and can't get back

until sometime next week.

I'm so glad this is doing so well. This is Gerry's "baby" and I hope

it makes him proud. I know it surely made me even more proud

of him. His talent has no boundries. Go Gerry.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

My mother and son saw the film on Saturday, and I saw it on Sunday. I loved it! Everyone gave incredible performances, and I"m suffeciently impressed by it.

Clyde has got to be one of my favorite sociopath/borderline-personality disorder villians. It was a great role for Gerry. and he did a fabulous job!

He's coming along on the American accent! I couldn't imagine having to speak for 18 hours per day in an accent other than my naturual one. I must say that I liked the rolling r's that came across when he said D'Arby. Sexy, sexy...

Great movie and def worth the price of admission.

D

Just got back from seeing LAC and wow, was that a ride! The pacing of the film I consider one of its strong points, though I agree a bit more background, character development would have been beneficial to the plot and sympathy factor for the characters. However, the action was very well paced. I literally, along with the rest of the audience, jumped out of my seat at a certain scene....well, actually, a couple of scenes. That doesn't happen too often. Some really good performances from the supporting cast as well. Unlike some, I thought Jamie Fox did an outstanding job as the prosecutor. I am not a Fox fan, but I thought he was just the right amount of cool, smart, remote character called for. I thought GB did an excellent job, though still not IMO at the Phantom level. :kisswink: I think I needed additional material on his character, background, etc. to really empathize with him like I wanted to, even though he was a murdering maniac! He did have some moments that tore at the heart, but I think the frantic pace of the film and the chills and thrills overwhelmed his character a bit. As for the critics..........................even with some plot holes you could drive a truck through......there is no way in hell this movie deserved the negative reviews it recieved or a C- grade.

Despite polling that indicated it would play primarily to older males, audiences were very diverse,

Let me see if I understand this right: there was actually a professional who did a poll for a film with Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx and came out with the conclusion that it would mainly draw older males???!!!!!!!!! They actually paid the firm that did the polling? It amazes me that they actually had to resosrt to polling for an obvious answer and they even got that wrong! :-)

Theresa

Boy were they wrong.Last nights crowd was pretty diverse,but I dont' recall seeing a lot of older males.It was a good cross section of folks.Tonight it was mostly a Black audience lots of women and couples so go figure Edited by dairyqueen

"older males"

Snort

WHEN or WHEN will these people remember (or figure out) Gerry has a fan base (fun base) that is far more diverse than the movie's target......these people just don't remember.......AND I LOVE IT!!!!

Jill

Xan I don't know if I would've been as sympathetic toward Clyde if I'd known more. That little five minute snippet about him being a brain working in conjunction with the CIA said so much about who he was as a person. Anyone that works black ops for a counterintelligence agency, IMO, lives in murky moral waters on a daily basis.

Clyde seemed like a great guy with the perfect family, but looks can be decieving. I felt for his character's loss. He may've been doing CIA black ops for his version of the greater good, but it takes a 'special' person to kill for that belief.

Jamie's character was greedy and insensitive to the human collateral.

I think Gary did a great job of keeping the story moving, and the characters actions all made sense. It unfolded at a nice pace.

Clyde was a serious freak show. I always say becareful how you treat people because you never know who you're dealing with.

D

Xan I don't know if I would've been as sympathetic toward Clyde if I'd known more. That little five minute snippet about him being a brain working in conjunction with the CIA said so much about who he was as a person. Anyone that works black ops for a counterintelligence agency, IMO, lives in murky moral waters on a daily basis.

Clyde seemed like a great guy with the perfect family, but looks can be decieving. I felt for his character's loss. He may've been doing CIA black ops for his version of the greater good, but it takes a 'special' person to kill for that belief.

Jamie's character was greedy and insensitive to the human collateral.

I think Gary did a great job of keeping the story moving, and the characters actions all made sense. It unfolded at a nice pace.

Clyde was a serious freak show. I always say becareful how you treat people because you never know who you're dealing with.

D

True indeed! He had a sinister streak somewhere in there,it begs the question why did he do what he did for a living to begin with.. Edited by dairyqueen

I think Clyde’s family was the moral force in his life that kept him grounded and gave him love, peace and stability. Once that was taken away from him he lost all perspective and balance. And he appeared to be very much a loner, no safety net of family and friends that could of supported him and help him recover.

Most of the box office predictions had LAC doing only about ten million this weekend so clearly they believed the faulty data of that polling. The crowds in theaters both times I went were quite diverse, young men and women, middle aged, older. Both Gerry and Jamie have drawing power, particularly in the right kind of roles. My neighbor went after I recommended the movie. He’s a big Jamie Foxx fan, when I told him Gerry (“the 300 guy! He’s deep!” was his exact quote!) was in it as well that sealed the deal for him.

I was also hearing via Twitter that showings for LAC were selling out last night while showings for Where the Wild Things Are were more then half empty.

They could have paid me to tell them that this is a movie that would appeal to younger males not older males. Younger males don't care about logic and morals so much. Gore and explosions is all good.

I just discovered my 21 year old nephew is a fan of "300" - there is a big scandal on his college campus right now because someone videotaped six cops allegedly beating up a student, when they were breaking up a large party [very common, I used to go to that university, and you could have 1000 people show up at one house and in Canada cops beating up suspects is SO rare or rarely caught on film maybe] so it's a really big news story and my nephew was telling up someone posted a copy of the videotape on Youtube along with music, which he called the Sparta or Spartan mix, ie. from the soundtrack of "300", and he thought that was great.

ETA I think even when someone works black ops for the CIA, there is a moral compass in that your operating mandate is that you will do whatever you have to do to protect your country and the lives of US citizens anywhere in the world because you are fiercely loyal to your country, assuming the CIA is only doing the bidding of the elected current president and military and civil leadership, ehem, and likely those guys feel they are dealing with terrorists, crooks, evil dictators and in general bad guys so all is fair. Even CIA black ops guys try to limit collateral damage to innocent civilians but they don't always get the cooperation from the White House and military or CIA HQ to do so.

Edited by lavender1960

They could have paid me to tell them that this is a movie that would appeal to younger males not older males. Younger males don't care about logic and morals so much. Gore and explosions is all good.

I just discovered my 21 year old nephew is a fan of "300" - there is a big scandal on his college campus right now because someone videotaped six cops allegedly beating up a student, when they were breaking up a large party [very common, I used to go to that university, and you could have 1000 people show up at one house and in Canada cops beating up suspects is SO rare or rarely caught on film maybe] so it's a really big news story and my nephew was telling up someone posted a copy of the videotape on Youtube along with music, which he called the Sparta or Spartan mix, ie. from the soundtrack of "300", and he thought that was great.

ETA I think even when someone works black ops for the CIA, there is a moral compass in that your operating mandate is that you will do whatever you have to do to protect your country and the lives of US citizens anywhere in the world because you are fiercely loyal to your country, assuming the CIA is only doing the bidding of the elected current president and military and civil leadership, ehem, and likely those guys feel they are dealing with terrorists, crooks, evil dictators and in general bad guys so all is fair. Even CIA black ops guys try to limit collateral damage to innocent civilians but they don't always get the cooperation from the White House and military or CIA HQ to do so.

I've met and talked with a few Spec Ops guys, and they're very interesting characters. I even dated a Navy Seal one time, LOL...he would never sit with his back open...always had to be facing everything, and always knew how many exits/entrances existed wherever we went. It was weird to me, but hey, I didn't live in that world.

Clyde's character is the most interesting. IMO all 'deviant' behavior can be rationalized in some way, and saying your doing something for the greater good is the most common and easiest way to sell it. The person that finds, sells the idea, and then trains a person like that is actually much more scary than the killer IMO.

There are some interesting moral questions in this movie.

D

I've met and talked with a few Spec Ops guys, and they're very interesting characters. I even dated a Navy Seal one time, LOL...he would never sit with his back open...always had to be facing everything, and always knew how many exits/entrances existed wherever we went. It was weird to me, but hey, I didn't live in that world.

Clyde's character is the most interesting. IMO all 'deviant' behavior can be rationalized in some way, and saying your doing something for the greater good is the most common and easiest way to sell it. The person that finds, sells the idea, and then trains a person like that is actually much more scary than the killer IMO.

There are some interesting moral questions in this movie.

D

I love all that sneaky stuff. I realize now, a couple of decades too late, I might have liked to pursue that field, not literally out in the field, but maybe an analyst in an office somewhere, collating intel.

Clearly Clyde crossed several lines even for a CIA black ops guy. There are civil and nonviolent options to getting his message across, especially for a man that bright and with connections to the government machinery already - in the end not sure a violent response of that magnitude would bring any change because they would chalk it all to a mad man. Though apparently even GB was surprised how long the audience was sticking with Clyde even after crossing some lines.

Many families of victims of crime have channelled their anger vs the criminal, vs the crime committed vs their loved one, vs the justice system, vs police incompetence or perceived error, into other positive areas like John Walsh and the show "America's Most Wanted" being his response to the kidnapping of his child. Other people have lobbied for legislation and programs, like minimum sentences for certain crimes so plea bargaining to an extent is taken out of the hands of the prosecution and judges have to follow those minimums. Of course the common wisdom is that justice and fairness are two separate concepts - what is fair for the greater good is not always fair for the individual.

However the normal channels would not a good cinematic movie make, we have seen that version played out in real life and in TV documentaries and in TV biopics. I think what does appeal to the action fans is the various ways of killing someone without even being there. The cleverness is cool and the concept is terrifying.

Edited by lavender1960

Isn't that only 1.3 millon more than Gamer? I found something in People that showed Gamer as 20 million. Thought I'd ask. I thought it'd be more. Looks like 300 is still the highest according to the magazine.

Isn't 20 million total box office for Gamer where as this is just opening weekend box office? Apparently 22 million is a good opening for this genre of movie and better than the opening numbers for the same time last year. Also depends how much a movie cost to judge the success of the box office. If LAC has a good month, they should at least recoup their budget, though I think one of the trade papers were saying they did spend a lot of money of promotion.