Gerard Butler GALS

Its on with alexa chung

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really like this interview very much but glad I have finally seen it (thanks Stuart for putting up the link). I was wishing that she would just stop asking silly questions and let the man speak. I think Gerry didn't take it seriously at all so just went with it.

Apparently Alexa [not so skinny that someone wasn't eyeing her legs, ehem] has changed the format of the show - I was just reading comments from many fans of her old format were not very happy with her either - like noticing she barely gave GB time to answer her own questions.

She used to have a one hour show that was more laid back shown at noon and now it is a half hour standard talk show format set up at 3:30. Likely MTV aiming for the after school crowd with the short attention spans now. Impressed that the audience of such young females could appreciate the hotness of a male over 21.

I just lament the fact that there are no real music video channels anymore. MTV and Much Music are just all talk shows and reality shows with maybe a chart countdown once a week or Much Music plays videos at 4:00 am.

Edited by lavender1960

Apparently Alexa [not so skinny that someone wasn't eyeing her legs, ehem] has changed the format of the show - I was just reading comments from many fans of her old format were not very happy with her either - like noticing she barely gave GB time to answer her own questions.

She used to have a one hour show that was more laid back shown at noon and now it is a half hour standard talk show format set up at 3:30. Likely MTV aiming for the after school crowd with the short attention spans now. Impressed that the audience of such young females could appreciate the hotness of a male over 21.

I just lament the fact that there are no real music video channels anymore. MTV and Much Music are just all talk shows and reality shows with maybe a chart countdown once a week or Much Music plays videos at 4:00 am.

I agree. I NEVER watch MTV anymore. Nothing but trailer trash reality shows. I used to love the artistic and provocative videos.

Swannie

He answered the threesome question so fast and then joked about not having a twosome in the last year so it was just kidding around.

He is hilarious though, giggles at himself!

I like how he interacted with the crowd too..

Kept commenting to them, he always makes sure to look at the crowd.

STU THANK YOU SWEETIE ! I've been all over looking for this interview...

Well first ...DEB YOU ARE SO RIGHT! :p secondly...I am not surprised at that answer whether it's true or not...Last I knew having a threesome is every mans dream.. :unsure: But I do think sometimes some of Gerry's answers are merely for shock value and of course the media jumps on it and misconstrues whatever he said! I think that's what is bothering some and I can understand it! It is what it is! He looked gorgeous didn't he??

:wave: Frannie

Thanks Stuart for sharing the links for everyone :)

Aww...The beginning was cut out, when he walks in as he usually does when appearing on a show and Alexa comments on how he walks so casual. Alexa had a lot of audience interactive games where they also do videos with her, I see that's gone for now. She hardly ever let any of the guests really finish. It was a fun show, it's MTV so it's not brain surgery :kisswink:

After finally watching the interview, I have to say that I didnt particularly like it, probably the one interview he has done thus far to promote Law Abiding Citizen that I have disliked. It was funny though, he was there to promote Law Abiding Citizen, which has a strong R rating, and from the looks of the audience...about 90 percent of them looked like they werent even old enough to see the the film. lol.

Ms. Chung was a bit rude, she kept cutting off Gerry mid-sentence...which I bloody hate when interviewers do that, regardless of whom they are interviewing. Gerry was great, was very sweet when he commented about her eyes. His three-some comment, he was obviously joking...he answered way too fast, and it was kind of one of those "telling people what they want to hear" comments.

and you know, Its MTV....I think anyone whom hosts a show on that network shouldn`t be taken too seriously really, nor should the audience members. Gerry has literally been the only reason for me watching MTV at all in years.

I just want to say that I really appreciate everyone's logical responses. Not sure what triggered my response, but hey ... that's me.

Gerry is a silly boy and you're all right - the ventue garnered his silly answer. MTV is not geared toward us. :lol: One of my best friends helped me realize that everything needs to be taken into PERSPECTIVE. I lose sight of that once in a while.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you all for your takes on the interview.

Lisa

STU you da man!!!! Thank you so much for uploading this.

Now that I've seen it; I must say that I am sooooo unimpressed with this show, but that is just MHO. Gerry was great. And oh gee, Ms Chung NEEDS TO EAT A FECKIN' SANDWICH!!!!!!

First, thank you Stu for uploading the video we were waiting for;

second, yes... Alexa Chung needs to eat, period!!!

Gerry eyed her legs??? He was meaning her sticks??? She's nothing else than bones and skin!!! :doh:

Gosh, what's the matter with these women??? She's in a competition for a size 3 with Victoria Beckam????

Edited by Kyriem

Lisa, the issues you've been struggling with in regards to Gerry, remind very much of my fandom a few years ago. I could not figure out, okay, who is the REAL Gerry? The Gerry we see with Bonnie Hunt; irresistible, sweet, humble, funny and ohhhhhh so charming? Or the "other" Gerry; seemingly arrogant, sharp, dirty, and flippant. I finally came to the conclusion that he is all of those things and can come across in so many different ways, depending on his mood, who he's with, and what he wants to communicate at that moment.

In my case, I had to set aside my own perception of the world to some extent, because I've lived a very different life from Gerry. Therefore, at one time, I had a tendency to judge him, or at least criticize him for behavior I couldn't understand and did not approve of. To make things even more complicated, the press ALWAYS feeds into and exaggerates every off the cuff remark he makes, and as fans, what are we supposed to believe?

In the end, I decided that my admiration of him could not be based in how he is portrayed by the media, whether that be an image he cultivates for publicity or not...those reports, rumors and gossip are only half-truths. The real Gerry is in the middle somewhere, and he is the Gerry I love and support. The bad boy with a good heart.

The rest is all show-biz!

Swannie

Lisa, the issues you've been struggling with in regards to Gerry, remind very much of my fandom a few years ago. I could not figure out, okay, who is the REAL Gerry? The Gerry we see with Bonnie Hunt; irresistible, sweet, humble, funny and ohhhhhh so charming? Or the "other" Gerry; seemingly arrogant, sharp, dirty, and flippant. I finally came to the conclusion that he is all of those things and can come across in so many different ways, depending on his mood, who he's with, and what he wants to communicate at that moment.

In my case, I had to set aside my own perception of the world to some extent, because I've lived a very different life from Gerry. Therefore, at one time, I had a tendency to judge him, or at least criticize him for behavior I couldn't understand and did not approve of. To make things even more complicated, the press ALWAYS feeds into and exaggerates every off the cuff remark he makes, and as fans, what are we supposed to believe?

In the end, I decided that my admiration of him could not be based in how he is portrayed by the media, whether that be an image he cultivates for publicity or not...those reports, rumors and gossip are only half-truths. The real Gerry is in the middle somewhere, and he is the Gerry I love and support. The bad boy with a good heart.

The rest is all show-biz!

Swannie

Excellent portrayal of Gerry, Swannie!! He is what he is and we can't make him be our perfect man. He comes from a different country and background and lived life on the edge, sometimes over it, while in Scotland growing up. In a way, he is still growing up in that he tries to be what people expect him to be, which is why he changes depending on which show he is on. He picks up on the audience and goes from there. MTV brought out the wild side in him. Take it, or leave it.

BTW, :bday: Sweetie!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

Your all very welcome !! I see how many members rely on utube for these clips as many of the online versions are only able to be viewed in the US. There is a software that ive been using to grab these as im in Canada but im having fun sharing them with you all and my utube account has been on fire since i put up some SNL clips on Sunday :) so cool !

Stuart

Wow, Swannie, you hit the nail on the head, my friend. I think I have on extra added hardship in that I've met him and talked with him on numerous occasions and so throw the Gerry that I know into the mix. But I did a lot of chatting with my wonderful friend Cheryl today and I realize that the bottom line is I love and support Gerry no matter who he is. I know with everything that I am that Gerry is a good man, but a man nonetheless. The good outweighs the bad, and so I remain (pretty sure this is exactly what I said in Mo's thread).

Mostly, however, I worried that this comment would affect whether people take him serious or not and whether or not they would go see LAC. I suppose the small amount of people who saw or read the tabloids really won't make a difference, but it's the critics and other Holllywood mogul I worry about. How do they perceive Gerry? Do things like what is written in the tabloids and online affect his career? I don't know how this stuff works. So I worry for him and the future of his career.

Funny how one little comment can cause so much discussion.

Alright, so even though I wasn't busy when this was on yesterday, I didn't watch it. I don't even really know why... I usually go out of my way to watch Gerry's appearances... then it all came clear to me... it's because it was on MTV! I subconsciously decided it wasn't worth my time, because I dislike MTV THAT much. Anyway, I watched it online after seeing the controversy surrounding the threesome question, and eh, parts of it were cute, but as mentioned above, it really bugged me that she kept interrupting him. Anyway, that's that... Gerry should stay away from MTV whenever possible. I think it's very beneath him. (I think it's very beneath most people...)

Steph

The critics have proven time and again that universally most don't know WTF they are talking about so how an appearance like this or what the tabloids make of it in their eyes means nothing.

As for the industry, I don't think they care what the tabloids say - they know that the vast majority of what they print is trash intended only to sell their rags.

What the industry will look at is box office returns and maybe audience appreciation for his work. With LAC I think he's doing more than OK.

Funny thing. People in show-biz, are completely aware that most of what is printed and posted about celebrities is just BS, and yet those same folks are perfectly willing to feed into the frenzy if it sells their mag, improves the ratings for their show, or gets more hits for their site.

In the real industry, Gerry is known as one of the nicest guys to work with. He is known for taking his work very seriously and for treating the cast and crews with respect. His manwhore image does not follow him to work, and it's only the outsiders who don't really know him, who will think the worst of him.

Those are the little bloggers and gossip mongers who don't really know Gerry, and have no qualms about printing crap. They are not actually part of Gerry's industry...but are the bottom dwellers who feed on the droppings of the bigger fish in the pond.

With every article, blog or interview, you have to ask yourself, what is the angle of the person doing the reporting? What do they want from Gerry? Are they really interested in getting to know him as a person, or are they in it for themselves? Same thing for Gerry. He does interviews for specific reasons, and in order to target specific audiences. I'll wager that the appearance on MTV was set up so that he could build on a younger fan base for LAC...who of course will respond to the naughtier edgy Gerry, than they would to the sweet, Bonnie Hunt Gerry. (BTW, in following Twitter, it's apparent that more and more of this age group are discovering him.)

I really admire Gerry for having the balls and patience to negotiate the minefield business he is in, because sometimes that whole of celebrity makes me want to stick forks in my eyes!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Wow, Swannie, you hit the nail on the head, my friend. I think I have on extra added hardship in that I've met him and talked with him on numerous occasions and so throw the Gerry that I know into the mix. But I did a lot of chatting with my wonderful friend Cheryl today and I realize that the bottom line is I love and support Gerry no matter who he is. I know with everything that I am that Gerry is a good man, but a man nonetheless. The good outweighs the bad, and so I remain (pretty sure this is exactly what I said in Mo's thread).

Mostly, however, I worried that this comment would affect whether people take him serious or not and whether or not they would go see LAC. I suppose the small amount of people who saw or read the tabloids really won't make a difference, but it's the critics and other Holllywood mogul I worry about. How do they perceive Gerry? Do things like what is written in the tabloids and online affect his career? I don't know how this stuff works. So I worry for him and the future of his career.

Funny how one little comment can cause so much discussion.

The one thing that will keep Gerry working is his movies showing a profit. That’s it. The powers to be in Hollywood aren’t going to care what Gerry says on various talks shows, as long as he doesn’t generate any controversy the affects the bottom line, I don’t think this quip meets that requirement by a long shot. In the history of Hollywood there have been many bad boys, most executives don’t care about that ether, and sometimes they’re bad boys themselves. If they don’t care what Clooney or Leo gets up too, I don’t think they will care what Gerry does. What makes Gerry fun is his honesty and a sense of humor.

To be honest I don’t think Chung and Gerry had lot of chemistry, she was flirting with him and he responded, like he was obligated to flirt. It was nothing like the kind of fun he has with Shaun Robinson on Access Hollywood. Or even the good time he had with Bonnie Hunt. I thought he was annoyed a bit at first and then he relaxed and went with the flow.

Edited by Rubee815

Wow thank you guys! I was in constant conversation yesterday with someone who works in the public world (but not entertainment) and she was feeding me the paranoia that this would hurt his career, and basically the things I posted yesterday. She's a fan so it wasn't malicious, it was genuine concern. And the fact that I know absolutley nothing about the entertainment industry, except what I have been slowly learning over the past two years, I assumed the worst.

And when I really think about it, what other answer could he have given? No? LOL No one would believe it. :lol: I am also following Twitter and I see more positive reactions to Gerry and LAC (except today was filled with this crap - not to mention the google alerts). I hope the box office receipts show that Gerry is the most talented movie star out there right now.

Man I am so glad I posted what I did then. This has helped me learn more about how this stuff works, and to let it go ...

Edited by phoenixgirl