Gerard Butler GALS

Its on with alexa chung

BaileyS

I had the impression he was annoyed and wished he was any place but there during his segment on the stupid MTV show. Whoever said MTV is beneath him hit the nail on the head.

When Alexa (what a twit she is) asked that threesome question, he paused before he answered. And then came out with the Butler did it. I think he was irritated and was just jerking her around because the show was so dumb to begin with. At any rate, he's too private a person to reveal anything too personal in an interview ... especially a low-class MTV 'interview.'!

That said, I think he should be more careful with what comes out of his mouth because there are always those who will want to blow it up into something more than it is and analyze it to death. I don't know how he lives with every tiny detail of his life picked apart pro and con by nutcases on those gossip boards. It literally goes on 24/7. Maybe he simply ignores or rises above it.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents. I like to study media and the way it works, I may be totally wrong but just my thoughts.

My educated guess is that most of the media loves Gerard [even the ones who claim to not like him because when it comes to entertainment news, if you aren't news, they aren't bothering to talk about you] because everyone else is so boring in Hollywood right now. The only other people that seem to get attention are strung on some substance and act like looney birds and they are never good interviews. Reference Joaquin Phoenix. The exception is some people in the music field. And that is because they tend to speak their minds. See P Diddy, see Kanye. Well now I guess Kanye is a good example of where you can go wrong so Gerard, just don't show up to any award show drinking out of a bottle on the red carpet, and drunkenly interrupt an award presentation. Well he doesn't drink so we're good there bwah. And even Kanye will survive this brain fart on his part. Only Taylor Swift fans will never forgive him.

I know people who are in the media field and I'm aspiring to move into it myself and everyone loves someone who is a good interview, someone who doesn't say the same canned crap to promote their film at every single interview and appearance either because they hate that part of the job or they are so afraid they will say something wrong the PR people got em on a leash. The same type who reveal absolutely nothing about themselves. For people working in the media that is BORING............BORING...........BORING. You give, as I like to say, good interview to the media, they can sell more copies of their magazines, they get more hits at their websites and blogs, more people tune into their shows, like TMZ, etc.

Gerard on the other hand gets sent to PR school for being a bad boy and goes out and does what he isn't supposed to again. I love it.

Why do we see so much of GB in the media- because they WANT to talk to him.

Let me give you another example. David Bowie. David Bowie is one of the best guys to interview in the music field. He doesn't tend to say shocking things but he is charming, articulate, he does not take himself too seriously, always has something different to say and if he gets a good interviewer, well the sky's the limit.

Secondly, there are no real powerful movie critics really anymore because the entertainment media is too large and dispersed these days and the only thing Hollywood ever cares about is box office. That is the very very cold reality. And these days it seems you can go to jail and your career can actually benefit. Even Robert Downey Jr. has made a comeback. He always had the talent, he got clean, hopefully is still clean, and delivered the right kind of numbers with Ironman.

That is not to say that you don't strive for work that is going to get critically acclaimed as well as being a commerical success. As we have seen, what the critics might love often the average movie goer does not and vice versa.

There are actors and actresses who are behind the facade and some don't even bother with the facade, that are vile horrible creatures and as long as they deliver the box office the studios will put up with just about anything. Now those vile horrible creatures however will do themselves no favours when the beauty and/or talent fades. People like GB who is known to get along casts and crews, behaves professionally on set, works so very hard to promote any film he is involved in, are going to last longer in this business.

Most of the people in power in Hollywood behave as badly or worse than the actors etc, or maybe I watch too much Entourage, bwah but bottomline as long as you keep yourself out of trouble in the very few areas where a scandal could kill your career, and being a ladies man is not one of them, it is quite the opposite, long as that is ladies and not girls, right Roman?

I mean I remember when a DUI charge could almost kill a career. Now it's no big whoop.

As far as MTV goes, given what teenagers are up to in this day and age, glad I don't have teenage girls right now, I'd have white hair by now, a line about threesomes is either tame or went over the head of the few innocents still left out there - Daddy what's a threesome is that like a foursome in golf and someone didn't show up?

Lastly the people on the internet who feed the gossip for the most part still only reach a small part of the large moviegoing audience. No one I know watches TMZ for example.

More and more people are coming to the internet for news about artists and movies and such, but even fans are not necessarily bothering with the gossip sites. I mean I didn't know or hear about any of the stuff about GB until I decided to search the internet more specifically. There are a ton of other actors I love but I've never bothered to give em a google nor do I care to. I think it was just that everywhere I was turning, it's that Gerard Butler again, the guy who loves TIFF.

PS I see Rubee already covered this in more precise fashion.

Edited by lavender1960

When I was trolling Twitter, looking more for reaction on LAC and SNL which has been mostly positive, the reaction to the remark about the threesomes has been ha ha isn't Gerry funny which he is but I have not looked lately. It's not like Gerry's demographics is the Disney crowd or even a family audience. LAC is rated R.

Michael Hutchence of INXS gave a Playboy interview that he preferred threesomes as a rule and other revelations, very interesting interview, he was very frank about a lot of things. Not damaging to a rockstar whatsoever. Records that don't sell, songs that don't get radioplay, concerts that don't sell out, that's damaging to a career. He was another guy the media loved to interview. [Aussies are also just more forthright about stuff in general.]

Edited by lavender1960

Seems to me everyone likes to titter and toss around the term "bad boy" but they don't really want to know what that entails.

Whether it was the truth or just something he said to get a larf, we'll never know. (I don't think he hesitated. Watch it again, she barely had the question out before he answered.) MTV is not the best fit for him but he didn't book himself on the show. They wanted him and his team made it happen.

And since there is no such thing as "bad publicity"...

:2cents:

Weren't the questions up for him to see over to his right? I could have sworn he mentioned that so he could come up with the answers ahead of time.

I think Gerry is just game for whatever anyone wants him to be. He's spontaneous and charming and it would only make sense that with his busy schedule, it's better to take two women home. Saves time. Now let's move on.

I think I saw Gerry wear that ring back awhile but I could be wrong. Did someone say his ring had a c**k on it? I loved the one he had with the horse......of course! Maybe they're "mood rings". Seems he might go back and forth depending on whether he feels like a stud or he's feeling a little cocky. :funnyup:

Delene

He is 40 years old and probably telling the truth,what I find deplorable is the fact that she is on at 3:30 and asked him that in front of a bunch of young girls.I'm sure he has had several trysts of that nature.

Edited by dairyqueen

Mo I don't see why you edited your post it was a reminder to all of you who were making snarky comments about Alexa that a policy on Gals is to be respectful to everyone and try and not be too personal in your attacks.

It was not a reference to your post alone it just happened to be posted below yours.

Moira

DairyQueen that is what I felt and said earlier it wasn't that she asked the question as i am sure on late night stuff this thing is more common but to ask it at that time was just not right and I feel Gerry would have come across better if he had said something like you cant ask that at this time. It looks like elsewhere from stuff I've read he has gone down in alot of peoples estimations by even answering that question regardless of whether he was being truthful or not :tantrum:

Moira

Mo I don't see why you edited your post it was a reminder to all of you who were making snarky comments about Alexa that a policy on Gals is to be respectful to everyone and try and not be too personal in your attacks.

It was not a reference to your post alone it just happened to be posted below yours.

Moira

I didn't view it as snarky, Moira, at all. I only meant it as funny. I'm so sorry. I'm learning again.

Alright, here are my (continuing) thoughts on the issues raised by this interview:

MTV. I said it before, but I feel like I need to qualify. I very much dislike MTV. I don't like their brand of entertainment, and I feel like it reflects badly on my generation. I'm 24... I'm supposed to be pretty much their target audience. I can't stand when people outside my generation (like my parents for example) see things on MTV and then expect me to explain it to them. I can't explain it Dad, because I don't get it either!

Threesomes. Okay, I have to admit that I laughed when Gerry answered this question, but at the same time it sort of hurt me inside. I'm not going to make any judgments on whether he was being truthful or just joking around for shock value, but that feeling still lingered in my head and heart. I find threesomes to be the ultimate depersonalization of an activity that's supposed to be the most intimate and personal that two people (TWO people) can engage in. People can do what they want, and I swear I don't judge... but the thought of Gerry doing that just makes me a little sad inside.

Well, I guess that's it for now.

Steph

It looks like elsewhere from stuff I've read he has gone down in alot of peoples estimations by even answering that question regardless of whether he was being truthful or not

Moira

Exactly my point. Damn.

Threesomes. Okay, I have to admit that I laughed when Gerry answered this question, but at the same time it sort of hurt me inside. I'm not going to make any judgments on whether he was being truthful or just joking around for shock value, but that feeling still lingered in my head and heart. I find threesomes to be the ultimate depersonalization of an activity that's supposed to be the most intimate and personal that two people (TWO people) can engage in. People can do what they want, and I swear I don't judge... but the thought of Gerry doing that just makes me a little sad inside.

So well stated. When I read this I realized that this is part of what I was feeling. Not a judgment at all but sadness. Gerry is a big boy and can do whatever the hell he wants. But if he's gonna say things like this then he has to realize there will be reactions to it. He may not give a rat's arse what anyone, including us fans, think. And that's the way he should live his life. I just don't want to know about it. Selfish? Probably.

DairyQueen that is what I felt and said earlier it wasn't that she asked the question as i am sure on late night stuff this thing is more common but to ask it at that time was just not right and I feel Gerry would have come across better if he had said something like you cant ask that at this time. It looks like elsewhere from stuff I've read he has gone down in alot of peoples estimations by even answering that question regardless of whether he was being truthful or not :tantrum:

Moira

But she did ask it at that time, fully aware of the time slot and the audience. Her people approved that question. It’s not his responsibility to be mindful of when the show airs and who’s watching, that’s up to Chung and her people and clearly they didn’t care. So if Gerry is getting criticism for answering the question it certainly seems fair that Chung should be getting her fair share as well. She set the tone for the interview; she asked the provocative question in the hopes of getting a risqué answer. More attention for her show that way and she got it.

It looks like elsewhere from stuff I've read he has gone down in alot of peoples estimations by even answering that question regardless of whether he was being truthful or not

Moira

Exactly my point. Damn.

So well stated. When I read this I realized that this is part of what I was feeling. Not a judgment at all but sadness. Gerry is a big boy and can do whatever the hell he wants. But if he's gonna say things like this then he has to realize there will be reactions to it. He may not give a rat's arse what anyone, including us fans, think. And that's the way he should live his life. I just don't want to know about it. Selfish? Probably.

Yeah... and really it's no different than imaging him having a meaningless one-night-stand, which wouldn't surprise me... but something about a threesome is just so dehumanizing and objectifying. Even a one-night-stand though, you can romanticize it and go all Terminator like "in the short time we had we loved a lifetime's worth," but you really can't do that when you think of threesomes... it's just sex. Plain and simple.

Well anyway, the fun thing about this is that we can tell ourselves that he was 100% joking and retreat into blissful ignorance... if we want to.

Sorry to bounce back and forth on this.

Steph

There is no need to be sarcastic Xan everyone is entitled to their opinion and as long as we are all being respectful all is good :funnyup:

That question should not have been asked at that time and he should have had sense not to answer it - some things best left to the imagination :pointy:

Everyone to their own :wave:

Moira

Yes, I agree, Moira! "Everyone to their OWN..." be that sarcastic, funny, serious, respectful, saucy, conservative, edgy, sad, disappointed, or whatever else we want to be! Let's all feel free to express ourselves without getting backlash from other gals.....PLEASE! :tantrum: