Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

10/21 - Gerry to Star in Coriolanus w/ Ralph Fiennes

Wow, I used to write them (well characters that looked like them) together in my role play. I would love to see it in reality. I've seen it in my mind so may times. They are both great actors. They are both pretty. Yippee!

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolanus

Here’s the cast of characters, we’ll have to await more info on who is playing who.

 Gaius Martius, later surnamed Coriolanus

 Menenius Agrippa, Senator of Rome

 Cominius, Titus Lartius, generals

 Volumnia, Coriolanus's mother

 Virgilia, Coriolanus's wife

 Young Martius, Coriolanus's son

 Valeria, a lady of Rome

 Sicinius Velutus, Junius Brutus, tribunes of Rome

 Citizens of Rome

 Soldiers in the Roman Army

 Tullus Aufidius, general of the Volscian army

 Aufidius's Lieutenant

 Aufidius's Servingmen

 Conspirators with Aufidius

 Volscian Lords

 Volscian Citizens

 Soldiers in the Volscian army

 Adrian, a Volscian

 Nicanor, a Roman

 A Roman Herald

 Messengers

 Aediles

 A gentlewoman, an usher, Roman and Volscian senators and nobles, captains in the Roman army, officers, lictors

My guess is that Gerry will play Tullus Aufidius perhaps.

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Who told him to change the v-neck?

Evil Overture :lmao:

Great shirt either way and now I AM SO EXCITED!

He gets to sort of relive his first job now being so successful.

GO GERRY!

Did he play the lead in the play?

Oh Serbia, he'll enjoy that with how he likes to travel!!

I hope Burns gets made eventually, he's so invested in that project!!!!

I'm going to have to rent the play from the library and read it!!

I wonder if they'll translate it into modern text, Gerry speaking in middle English...I WILL DIE!!

Edited by BaileyS

Tullus is my thought too. And Variety say they are still trying to secure financing, so keep your fingers crossed….

Bear in mind that if Gerry has a supporting role he might not be tied up that long with filming, so he could move into Burns or something else at some point.

My guess is that Gerry will play Tullus Aufidius perhaps.

Delene

That's what a friend of mine said, too, D:

The commander of the Volscian army, Tullus Aufidius, has fought Martius on several occasions and considers him a blood enemy. The Roman army is commanded by Cominius, with Martius as his deputy. While Cominius takes his soldiers to meet Aufidius' army, Martius leads a sally against the Volscian city of Corioles. The siege of Corioles is initially unsuccessful, but Martius is able to force open the gates of the city, and the Romans conquer it. Even though he is exhausted from the fighting, Martius marches quickly to join Cominius and fight the other Volscian force. Martius and Aufidius meet in single combat, which only ends when Aufidius' own soldiers drag him away from the battle. (Aufidius=Tullus)

They later become friends and finally ennemies once again! Martius gets exiled from Rome at some point and recruits Tullus to lead his army against Rome.. Roman politics and vengeance at its best! LOL

I thought the same thing about Serbia, Bailes. :) A new place for him to have adventures.

Edited by phoenixgirl

Tullus is my thought too. And Variety say they are still trying to secure financing, so keep your fingers crossed….

Bear in mind that if Gerry has a supporting role he might not be tied up that long with filming, so he could move into Burns or something else at some point.

Yes! :drink:

Delene

Um... I don't want to be a downer here but Gerry has come too far to be playing a supporting role! At least this is my way of thinking...so the only way I'll get excited about this news is if he has a major role in it right where he belongs! Am I the only one that thinks this??? :doh:

:wave: Frannie

Um... I don't want to be a downer here but Gerry has come too far to be playing a supporting role! At least this is my way of thinking...so the only way I'll get excited about this news is if he has a major role in it right where he belongs! Am I the only one that thinks this??? :doh:

I think that's why most of us are hoping for Aufidius

Tullus. I'm pretty sure, from what I read on Wikipedia about the play, this is the second biggest male lead role in the play. Am I wrong?

But, honestly, Gerry knows what he's doing and if he chose/accepted this role it's because HE wants to be in it. Imagine ... he'll be in a movie with Ralph Fiennes, Vanessa Redgrave and William Hurt - and that's just what we know now. Plus, it's a chance to show even MORE acting chops by doing Shakespeare.

Whatever he chooses for himself, I'm 100% behind him.

Edited by phoenixgirl

I would think that Aufidius would be a major role...this is such awesome news!! Way to go Gerry...Shakespeare! I read that this is a heart project of Ralph Fiennes like Burns is for Gerry.

:yay::yay::yay::wuv:

I understand....but I still think he's already shown his acting chops and deserves to be up there with the Brad Pitts and the likes of him! This is Hollywood now...I hate to even say this but the names you mentioned ....what have they been in lately? I'm not much of a movie buff so unfortunately I have to ask you this...I'm a doofus :doh: I'm guessing these actors are all big names by the excitement from you guys!! :cunning:

Frannie, all three of them are basically Hollywood royalty. Pitt and Clooney are jokes. They will never have the status that the people in this movie do. I would MUCH rather Gerry be in a movie with this cast than the dreck that is today's "it" people. Lasting power is what matters! And Gerry has it, and now he's playing in that ballfield.

I'm very proud of him.

Now that Gerry has arrived at a certain level with 2 hits this year, I’m thinking he wants to challenge himself and participate in some project that has artistic merit rather then the more commercial projects he’s been doing. And clearly he’s feeling secure enough to do this right now. I would much rather see him do this then yet another comic book adaption. Doing this might lead to more opportunities that he might not of been considered for previously. I would love to see him do a play on Broadway!

I wonder too If Fiennes pursued Gerry for this role?

I understand....but I still think he's already shown his acting chops and deserves to be up there with the Brad Pitts and the likes of him! This is Hollywood now...I hate to even say this but the names you mentioned ....what have they been in lately? I'm not much of a movie buff so unfortunately I have to ask you this...I'm a doofus :doh: I'm guessing these actors are all big names by the excitement from you guys!! :cunning:

Even George Clooney and Brad Pitt have taken supporting roles in smaller projects with lesser budgets.

Looks like this is a contemporary version:

http://www.iconmovies.net/coriolanus/

Well, hell and damnation. :lol:

I'm still excited ... still has a great cast and it's a fantastic opportunity for Gerry.

Isn't Icon Mel Gibson's production company?

Edited by phoenixgirl

I have a theory that over the past couple years, Gerry chose projects that would get him name and face recognition. He wanted projects that PEOPLE would see...hang the critics. He wanted the average film goer to know who he was. Now that he has achieved those goals, I hope he will land roles that will garner him critical acclaim. If he can contribute a well played role as a supporting player, then I don't care whether or not he has a lead in this film. I can't wait to hear more about this project.

Swannie

Contemporary version--I guess no swords and sandals then? :doh:

Gerry + Willie S = :hearts::bow::galdown::yay::thud:

Release date probably this same time next year. I honestly don't think my heart can take much more.

umm....so I`ve officially died and drifted up to heaven.....

Gerry & Shakespeare....two of my favorite things combined.....dreams do come true....hehehehehehe!

Thanks Lisa for sending me here. I've been busy watching videos on YouTube of a fire that occurred in our town two days ago taking out a 90 year old building and almost setting fire to the rest of our town since all of the buildings are connected. Enough on that....

Coriolanus-Fiennes

The above web site doesn't state what role William Hurt will play. Of course, this is an old web site and actors change. I'm still in shock over this. I agree, I would love to see Gerry acting along with these Academy Award winners who are true actors and not celebrities like Pitt and Clooney.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Gerry + Willie S = :hearts:

Release date probably this same time next year. I honestly don't think my heart can take much more.

umm....so I`ve officially died and drifted up to heaven.....

Gerry & Shakespeare....two of my favorite things combined.....dreams do come true....hehehehehehe!

You guys - don't get all swoony over Bill S. :lol: It's a contemporary version. The mock up poster has a machine gun on it.

I have only ever seen two Shakespeare adaptation movies: Romeo & Juliet with DiCaprio and 10 Things I Hate About You with Heath Ledger.

I LOVED Romeo & Juliet as it was Shakespearean language with a contemporary setting. I also loved 10 Things because it was a modern setting with the same story with teens and slight references to the play. For example, the lead (Julia Stiles) played Kat (ie Kate) and Heath played Patrick (Petrucio - however it's spelled). They attended Padua High School, etc. Really very well done.

So it'll be interesting to see the contemporary take the do with this. I can't wait!!!

Edited by phoenixgirl

Who said contempory? I just read the web site talking about it and how could you have those names and storyline in a contempory version? I'm just shaking my head over this because it doesn't compute. Help me out here, how can they do that?

~HUGS~ Kathy

This is great news!

Gerry has said that he likes to pick a different type of project every time to expand and change things up.

Working with these hollywood heavy weights is a great coo for Gerry!

I agree about Gerry ahve a wonderful time in Serbia :pointy: The man loves to explore and travel. Good for him!

Cheryl