Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

10/21 - Gerry to Star in Coriolanus w/ Ralph Fiennes

Who said contempory? I just read the web site talking about it and how could you have those names and storyline in a contempory version? I'm just shaking my head over this because it doesn't compute. Help me out here, how can they do that?

~HUGS~ Kathy

The poster and synopsis said:

http://www.iconmovies.net/coriolanus/

Who said contempory? I just read the web site talking about it and how could you have those names and storyline in a contempory version? I'm just shaking my head over this because it doesn't compute. Help me out here, how can they do that?

~HUGS~ Kathy

The poster and synopsis said:

http://www.iconmovies.net/coriolanus/

This is what is says on the web site I posted above. No word about it being contemporary.

The adaptation of Shakespeare’s study of the way power corrupts is set in the early years of the Roman Republic. Coriolanus, who returns from war and is urged by his mother Volumnia (Redgrave) to run for consul, but his ambition leads to his downfall.

That doesn't sound contemporary to me. Oh well, knit picking here....time will tell us more.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Right here Kathy:

SYNOPSIS

A contemporary version of Shakespeare's dangerous political thriller.

Right here Kathy:

SYNOPSIS

A contemporary version of Shakespeare's dangerous political thriller.

If that is true it is going to have to have a lot of rewriting.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I`ve never been one to be crazy about these modern interpretations of Shakespeares work...time and time again has shown in films that 9 times out of 10 it doesnt work

oh please...please let this be good.

It looks to me like a political thriller...I'm totally confused so Kathy...don't feel bad! :doh:

BTW you guys...when I mention BP it's not because I think he's such a great star it's because he's the guy that draws them in at the box office! He's also Hollywoods Golden boy that you will be more likely to see as nominated for a Golden or Oscar or what to Hell the award is at the time... Guess I'm not the Shakespeare type ....I wouldn't mind a contemporary version though! Guess I left my "high brow" at the door! :p

:wave: Frannie

What's so confusing? It's a modern/contemporary take on the story.

As for the re-writing, that's what they do ... they usually take the premise and lesson learned and turn it into something modern. For example, Richard III with Kenneth Brannaugh set in WWII; West Side Story - and it goes on.

I think it'll be great!

Yeah! I'm sure it will....Gerry's in it! :kisswink: I looked it up and found one site but Gerry is not in the cast yet... It has a whole list of cast members but no Gerry! If he was going to be playing one of the main characters I would think he would be in the line up unless he is replacing someone...oh well I guess we'll know more as time goes by!

:wave: Frannie

As for the re-writing, that's what they do ... they usually take the premise and lesson learned and turn it into something modern. For example, Richard III with Kenneth Brannaugh set in WWII; West Side Story - and it goes on.

I think it'll be great!

OK Lisa, if you say so. I look at the actors and I see Rome at the time it was originally written for, not contemporary. It would have been a neat story as it was written. What are they going to be now, the Mafia? Yes, I'm going overboard now. Just a little disappointed.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I think it'll be great!

OK Lisa, if you say so. I look at the actors and I see Rome at the time it was originally written for, not contemporary. It would have been a neat story as it was written. What are they going to be now, the Mafia? Yes, I'm going overboard now. Just a little disappointed.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I'm also a tad disappointed, but it is what it is so I go with it and get on board. Since it's already been done forever (I'm not sure if West Side Story was the first time) it doesn't seem so "out there" to me. Sorry if I came off a little ... uppity. I didn't mean to. :)

I'm excited about this new project!

I love that Gerry is always on the lookout for something new and different, and that he wants to take on a variety of roles, regardless of if he's the leading man, or if it's a big budget picture, or whatever. I think some of his best work is in some of the lesser known films. I can't wait to get more information on what sounds like an exciting project! I doubt it'll have the media coverage of the Bounty filming... think the paparazzis will take a vacation to Serbia? :)

OH, and throughout this video interview, I couldn't stop staring at Gerry's chest! Was that shirt paper thin, or what? I felt like I had x-ray vision looking at those nipples. And they thought the shirt he had on before was scandalous? :drool1:

Steph

OK, I'm on board. NOW, find out the role he is going to play!!!!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

I'm excited about this new project!

I love that Gerry is always on the lookout for something new and different, and that he wants to take on a variety of roles, regardless of if he's the leading man, or if it's a big budget picture, or whatever. I think some of his best work is in some of the lesser known films. I can't wait to get more information on what sounds like an exciting project! I doubt it'll have the media coverage of the Bounty filming... think the paparazzis will take a vacation to Serbia? :)

:lmao: How sad that THAT might be the only way Gerry can get away from them!

OH, and throughout this video interview, I couldn't stop staring at Gerry's chest! Was that shirt paper thin, or what? I felt like I had x-ray vision looking at those nipples. And they thought the shirt he had on before was scandalous?

Steph

Well, shite - now I have to watch it again just to see if you're right!

:drool1:

If Ralph Fiennes appears on the poster with Coriolanus title then he must be playing that role and Gerry would be Tullus. GB has made grest decisions so far in his career and I think he will continue to do so.

As for the BP comments I always think back to a great movie called The Stuntman when Peter O'Toole is called upon to find his inner acting abilities and as he is flailing his arms around and he states to the world in general, "I am not an actor, I am a movie star." GB's career started as an actor then he became a movie star, whereas BP and Clooney and others have remained movie stars only. Nothing wrong with that, they just don't have the live theater background. Of the folks mentioned to be in Coriolanus I consider Finnes and Redgrave to be very good actors, on a par with Gerry. Looking forward to the project.

:wave:

The Baz Lurhman version of Romeo & Juliet was set in contemporary times but used Shakespeare’s text.

Coriolanus was never my favorite Shakespeare play; in fact I fell asleep during this play years ago. Well the production I saw was pretty awful and there was free wine…. So I’m delighted with the idea this is a reworking, since Gerry is likely playing Tullus Aufidius there is tremendous potential in this for him, he goes from being an enemy to an ally and back to being an enemy and he’s not the one to die. Great range of emotions! And Vanessa Redgrave as the scheming Mother too, Wow!

I don't know about you ladies, but as a rule I like my Bard performed as it was written; middle English and all! Call me a stickler. But if this is modernized, I hope it is done well. Just my 2c.

The Baz Lurhman version of Romeo & Juliet was set in contemporary times but used Shakespeare’s text.

Coriolanus was never my favorite Shakespeare play; in fact I fell asleep during this play years ago. Well the production I saw was pretty awful and there was free wine…. So I’m delighted with the idea this is a reworking, since Gerry is likely playing Tullus Aufidius there is tremendous potential in this for him, he goes from being an enemy to an ally and back to being an enemy and he’s not the one to die. Great range of emotions! And Vanessa Redgrave as the scheming Mother too, Wow!

Yeah...but what I wanna know is: does he get a hot sex scene and will we see him nekkid????

Hahahahah!

I don't want to get accosted, because there seem to be a lot of Shakespeare enthusiasts on this thread, but I've never been much of a fan of Shakespeare's stories. I think he definitely had a way with language, but as far as the plots and characters... I could never much get into them. I always liked MacBeth, but I absolutely despised both Rome & Juliet and Hamlet. I haven't read Coriolanus, so I guess I'll have to do some research.

Steph

Check out the poster at this site but it appears to be from 2008.

http://ralphfiennes-corner.net/filmography...coriolanus2.php

Interesting. And then I went back and read another article where it says Fiennes is scouting for an Eastern Europe location so I wonder if the Serbia location (noted in this 2008 article) fell through.

We'll know everything after the new year, I bet. :) Whatever the details, I'm excited and happy for Gerry.

No accosting, Steph. :) Not everyone can do Shakespeare. Personally, it took me forever to learn how to understand the language. It took, of all things, A Comedy of Errors being made into a movie play for me to start to understand it.

If you've never seen Lurhman's Romeo & Juliet, it's a must. My sons love it! The way he incorporated the actual Shakespearean words with a modern day gangster setting is incredible. It's one of my very favorite movies.

Edited by phoenixgirl

I don't know about you ladies, but as a rule I like my Bard performed as it was written; middle English and all! Call me a stickler. But if this is modernized, I hope it is done well. Just my 2c.

I am too....when it comes to Shakespeare, I`m like the Gestapo, just do it right or don`t do it all. Shakespeare is only the greatest writer to ever live....no biggie. The only modern version of a Shakespeare play that I have ever enjoyed is Romeo & Juliet that Baz Lurhman did...particularly for the reason that the text was kept in tact as it was written.

Whatever role he plays, as long as he is happy, I am happy. Hopefully, he and Ralph Fiennes

will get equal billing as did Jamie Foxx and Gerry in LAC. Does anyone know what part

Gerry played in the stage version of Coriolanus when he landed a role via Stephen Berkoff?

Don't remember anyone ever mentioning his character. I am just happy to know one of his

future projects because we are really spoiled after this last year!!

Judy

I'm w/ you Judy. Whatever role he wants me to see him play is fine w/ me. I just want him to be happy. I've seen quite a few movies that I probably would not have, if not for Gerry. They are also now some of my favorites. I just wouldn't have given them a chance before.

I couldn't find anything that said what role he had played in Coriolanus previously.