Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

10/21 - Gerry to Star in Coriolanus w/ Ralph Fiennes

I'm with Steph. I've never particularly liked Shakespeare. It's like I have to work too hard to understand what the heck they are saying. :inshade: The story lines are great, however. Whatever. I know Gerry will be wonderful in that film as he is in everything, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Suzie

Contemporay can work if done right the only one i did not like was that Ethan Hawke version of Hamlet just awful. Romeo and Juliet was quite ingenious actually. William Hurt on imdb is only rumoured has he been confirmed. It looks like it is an esteemed cast and Ralph Fiennes is a pretty decent actor and for him to be directing and wanting Gerry for a main part that's all good in my book :yay:

Moira

A lot of work for Ralph Fiennes. He is Directing, Producing and starring in the movie. First time Director I might add. I hope he knows what he is doing.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Its not Gerry`s involvement in this particular project that I have a problem with b/c as I`ve said, I`m thrilled to be seeing him take on new genres and storys. My issue is the potential of them doing a bad job. Less than three years ago, a modern interpretation of the comedic play, Shakepeare`s Twelfth Night ( which is one of the funniest plays I`ve ever read and I appeared in a production of it as well ) was made called "She`s The Man". In my opinion, its one of the most appallingly horrible interpretations of a Shakespeare play I`ve ever seen. Nothing about it was good or inspired, or most importantly funny, and quite frankly would have made Shakespeare turn over in his grave.

I hate the thought of Gerry doing this movie and getting a bad rap for it, knowing those critics. I have faith in him, believe me I do. However, I am now and always will be an enormous Shakespeare enthusiast and if I come off as an arrogant ileitis because of it, then so be it. But I stand by what I said and until I see exactly in which direction they are taking this project....I am reserving my right to "get on board".

Edited by AngelofMusic

Yeah I have my reservations about this one as well.

Don't get me wrong, whatever role or movie he will do, I know I will love it because he really is a great actor who gives everything while playing a part and I will support him but...

Shakespeare is a very dangerous thing to do.

I love Shakespeare, but what I've seen so far with adaptions is that it is or very good or very bad :unsure:

I've seen so many of them and so few I liked.

On the other hand, it's Ralph Fiennes and Vanessa Redgrave and they really know their stuff.

I just hope this will be good, very good cause have you seen the video of 'coffee with'?

He talks about all the hard work putting in a role and being so dissapointed if the movie doesn't do as well.

I really hope for his sake that this is going to be a succes...

I'm not very enthusiastic about this new project. I studied Coriolanus two years ago in college, and I HATED it. Probably one of the worst Shakespeare plays I've read. It's just my opinion. I know and I respect the fact that some people love this play. I just wish Gerry and Ralph Fiennes had chosen another Shakespeare play...

Aww... anyway... good luck to Gerry. If that's what he wants to do, then so be it. I'll support him anyway.

I'm not very enthusiastic about this new project. I studied Coriolanus two years ago in college, and I HATED it. Probably one of the worst Shakespeare plays I've read. It's just my opinion. I know and I respect the fact that some people love this play. I just wish Gerry and Ralph Fiennes had chosen another Shakespeare play...

Aww... anyway... good luck to Gerry. If that's what he wants to do, then so be it. I'll support him anyway.

I note that John Logan is the writer. He wrote the screeplay for 'Gladiator' and 'The Last Samurai' among others. It seems like they certainly have some experienced, talented people involved in this production. I would have preferred to see it set in ancient Roman times. I love Gerry in historical features.

I might add that it was in the play of Coriolanus that Gerry got injured with the stake near his eye. I don't know what role he played then, but I doubt it was one of the leads. I'm happy for Gerry, he's really playing with the big boys no matter if it's contemporary or not. I do not think of Gerry as a movie star...he's an actor as he likes to be called. I think that's all that matters to him, being a hard-working go-to actor.

My cousin was a consul in Belgrade when it was called Yugoslavia and said it is a most beautiful area in the world. I'm sure Gerry will love working there, but we probably won't see many pics. Don't think there will be many paparazzi. I'm going to have withdrawal for sure!

:wuv:

Guest Kyriem

Smart move, working with esteemed actors in a classic play, Fiennes would play the lead I suspect and he’s directing too. This is going to be an ensemble piece for sure. And a small film.

Gerry would not have gotten this role if he did not have the respect of his peers in the industry. Those are the folks that matter!

I’m glad Gerry is trying to stretch himself in this way.

Yeah, I'm really happy about that, finally...

It seems a good project and I saw almost all Ralph's movies, I started following his work since "Strange Days".

I also think Ralph will play the title role.

I note that John Logan is the writer. He wrote the screeplay for 'Gladiator' and 'The Last Samurai' among others. It seems like they certainly have some experienced, talented people involved in this production. I would have preferred to see it set in ancient Roman times. I love Gerry in historical features.

Saying that John Logan wrote "Gladiator" script is 50% right. Have you ever read it?? It's completely different from the movie... :unsure: We could say Gladiator was nearly Russell Crowe's movie in every meaning, he made the writers re-writing the script ten thousands times...

Edited by Kyriem

I will always support Gerry in everything he does....but as I said and stand by I'll wait and see.... I had this same feeling about RockNRolla ....and I hate these feelings! Shakespeare is not for everyone..I'm with Suz (Texas Gramma) I can't sit through one minute of it. I guess I'm just a hick and like good old movies be it a drama, thriller, Romcom, Comedy or animation... but this Shakespeare stuff...nope, not for me! I DID like the Gladiator so maybe...

Gerry is an Actor not a movie star!! um.....HUH? :unsure:

:wave: Frannie

I might add that it was in the play of Coriolanus that Gerry got injured with the stake near his eye. I don't know what role he played then, but I doubt it was one of the leads. I'm happy for Gerry, he's really playing with the big boys no matter if it's contemporary or not. I do not think of Gerry as a movie star...he's an actor as he likes to be called. I think that's all that matters to him, being a hard-working go-to actor.

Definitely. And as an actor instead of a movie star he gets to choose the movies that intrigue him instead of other people. I also think that since he has now had a taste of producing he has had discussions about how the movie will be made and modernized. I think the whole process is part of what Gerry loves, unlike the ones that just want those blockbusters.

As for modernizing Shakespeare, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We will just wait and see if it does. I have a feeling with Gerry and Ralph being involved it'll be better than most.

Ralph is a very gifted actor. I'm sure this project will do well. Gerry is so gifted & smart that it can't lose. Good for Gerry taking many different roles!

Its not Gerry`s involvement in this particular project that I have a problem with b/c as I`ve said, I`m thrilled to be seeing him take on new genres and storys. My issue is the potential of them doing a bad job. Less than three years ago, a modern interpretation of the comedic play, Shakepeare`s Twelfth Night ( which is one of the funniest plays I`ve ever read and I appeared in a production of it as well ) was made called "She`s The Man". In my opinion, its one of the most appallingly horrible interpretations of a Shakespeare play I`ve ever seen. Nothing about it was good or inspired, or most importantly funny, and quite frankly would have made Shakespeare turn over in his grave.

I hate the thought of Gerry doing this movie and getting a bad rap for it, knowing those critics. I have faith in him, believe me I do. However, I am now and always will be an enormous Shakespeare enthusiast and if I come off as an arrogant ileitis because of it, then so be it. But I stand by what I said and until I see exactly in which direction they are taking this project....I am reserving my right to "get on board".

This will not be a blockbuster, nor is it meant to be. Even it the movie does not succeed, there is still upside for Gerry doing the film. And because it’s Ralph Fiennes the critics will be far kinder and fairer in reviewing this film then they have been to some of Gerry’s more commercial roles. Let me put this another way, if Denzel Washington and Russell Crow had been cast together in LAC with the same exact script LAC would have been a critical success! There’s a real herd mentally amongst the critics. Which is why they are becoming irrelevant but they do love Fiennes and their reviews can help smaller films.

I think that Coriolanus is wonderful, exciting news!! The title role of Coriolanus has been played by the acting greats: Lawrence Olivier, Richard Burton, and now Ralph Fiennes, one of my favorites. I will always remember seeing Fiennes live on Broadway, in "The Faith Healer." Fiennes is, indesputedly, a powerful, actor. Gerry is in great company, also, with William Hurt and Vanessa Redgrave (I have never seen them in anything bad). Gerry will have the opportunity to display his acting chops, with challenging material. I am sure he wants to continue to stretch himself, as an actor. I think this will be great for his career! I recently saw Jude Law, live on Broadway, in Hamlet......Jude was great........a excellent career choice for Jude, and I believe Coriolanus will do the same, for Gerry!

I am wondering which role Gerard will have. He seems perfect for the role of Coriolanus' arch enemy, Aufidius. A lot will depend on how they adapt Shakespeare's classic play, to a movie. When Lawrence Olivier did it a second time, Coriolanus was likened to Mussolini. They could even give the play a "Gladiator" twist, to give the classic play more appeal to a wide audience. It could be loosely based on Shakespeare's play......they can do a LOT to make it appeal to a wide modern audience.

I am also looking forward to the sight of Gerry again, in the uniform of Roman soldier.........he will immediately improve the overall eye appeal of this movie, and give it instant zip and sex appeal! To me, Gerry seems made for heroic roles. He is so kingly, warrior like, in his whole presence and demeanor.

Judy

:poof:

Edited by Emily Bronte

RockNRolla is a great movie.

Completely Agree! It was not only a great movie, but it was a good move by Gerry. The movie was critically acclaimed by most and he was AWESOME in it!!!! It showed more of his range, which is pretty impressive!

I am very excited about this project and I certainly hope they keep to the Roman time frame, for selfish reasons, togas, Roman military garb, male legs exposed, also a fan of Roman history, I have the I Claudius series in my video library, as well as the fact I hate monkeying around with Shakespeare in terms of putting into a modern context. Yuk. They do it at Stratford Festival in terms of the setting only, thank goodness and that is bad enough. I went to see MacBeth and did not like the fact they put it into post WWII Africa. I wanted to see Colm Feore being MacBeth as written. Now on stage you have limitations, filming you do not.

Well GB going to be very cold filming in Serbia in the winter time. Will he need an official warmer? Well not as cold as Iceland. Bwah. I remember Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead was filmed in Croatia or somewhere in the neck of the woods and you could see the frosty breath on the actors during the outdoor scenes, ha! I digress but that is one of my all time favourite movies, a play within a play within a play.

I would see Ralph Fiennes as being a purist, did I not read that he is also directing, this is his baby?

I have to review the thread, in a rush. It might be interesting to cast GB not as a military commander which would be a repeat for him but against type, perhaps as a Senator or such. I am not familiar with the play. What role is the next most important one in the play Shakespeare experts?

The key to doing Shakespeare on film is in my opinion a judicious editing of the Shakespearean play/manuscript. Like Franco Zefferilli's Hamlet with Mel Gibson, I thought was rather well done - they didn't do the play verbatim, they rearranged scenes a little bitand left out dialogue but did not mess with the dialogue they did use, THAT IS KEY, and great actors can make the language believable. When the words are delivered right, more people can understand the gist of the play.

Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait, you're right to see that gorgeous thigh again!!!!

As this has a video attached it should be in gerry pics/vids so I'm going to move it

Moira

ROCK N ROLLA WAS a good movie! Too bad it didn't have a bigger distribution...maybe it would have done better at the BO! That was my point! Much to the surprise of my Galfriends I do not have problem expressing my own thoughts and feelings about whether I liked or disliked a movie that Gerry has been in... for instance...I liked Shattered better than I liked RNR because that is the type of movie that I like anyway...I'm a more of a thriller and drama type Gal! Would you be surprised to know that although 300 was Gerry's biggest and most recognized film so far it isn't one of my favorites once again because it's not my taste ....so to sum this up...I was not knocking RNR...I just used it as an example of what one individual likes the other one doesn't and in the end the majority wins....no not really, I'm just kidding ....there are no winners here! :p So to all of you that think I was putting RNR on the chopping block I apologize ....I would never do that! Sometimes maybe I should just go with the flow and not have an opinion...

:wave: Frannie

I love Shakespeare and love the poetic rhythm of the dialogue. I believe Fiennes is trying to bring some Shakespeare to a more modern understanding, which is cool, but hopefully it is done well. If the original play was not one of WS best or most popular, perhaps this rewriting/adaptation will improve it. I'm not familiar with this particular original play.

If it is set more modern day and by the look of the poster (which looks like the one for Gamer by the way) it could be set more in the thirties or forties around WWII and the mafia (Godfather era) perhaps. Just a guess. There has to be a war involved so I guess it could be more current with the one in Persian Gulf, etc. Trying to wrap my brain around that. Not enough info yet.

I was sort of disappointed that it was not "period". Gerry has the look of an ancient warrior/God. I could see an alabaster statue in the like's of Gerry quite easily. He has a classic handsomeness about him.

Oh well. Perhaps instead of "swords, sandals and bare thighs" we can get "machine guns, birkenstocks and camo shorts"!

Delene

Yes, I also just heard that Director Fiennes version of Coriolanus will be a modernized one.......perhaps with Shakespearean language. No matter...... Coriolanus is a warrior's tale, and Gerard Butler will always fit that kind of role perfectly! Jude Law's Hamlet, currently on Broadway, is Shakespearean speech, and modern dress, and Jude is wowing critics and audiences, alike.

I look for great things, with Gerard Butler in Coriolanus!!!!

:clap:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42805

I don't know if this has been posted or said because I don't have time to go back and reread the posts, lol.

He's playing his nemesis.

Which means another Gerry as a baddie :thud: and doing more bloody murdering like LAC :lmao:

I can't wait.

Edited by BaileyS

I think it could be a hit - mainly because the TV series Rome was so popular and it will be fun to see GB playing a Volscian after a Hun and a Spartan. What's next? How about a Highlander?

Edited by Lady Ski Bum