Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

10/21 - Gerry to Star in Coriolanus w/ Ralph Fiennes

Actually, Gerry's character is a good guy even though he's plays the Coriollanus nem. Big C is the baddie, from what I gather. Gerry might just well be the hero in this.

YAY

Delene

I cannot see Ralph messing with the Bard's words so hopefully that is going to be the same words only in a modern setting - they already have poster concepts? the thing for me is that I find the modern setting can be distracting and if you don't choose the right modern setting, you can lose the essence of the original Shakespearian play. These plays are still popular for a reason. However knowing Mr. Fiennes is in charge means one can expect great things.

I love RocknRolla but then I am a fan of Guy Ritchie's style of British gangster film, I am a fan of the genre, loved The Krays and Gangster One, the latter with Paul Bettany and David Thewlis and Malcolm McDowell. My only complaint is that this movie seemed slow to start compared to the others. I think because so many people complained about being confused with the other movies, because it was so fast paced and complex I think Guy tried to take more time to set up and so fans of his earlier movies were thinking let's get this party started. However when I watched the movie the second time, I was fine with it. That is what I like about these movies, you can watch them several times and see different things each time you watch it. For example I have seen Snatch so many times I know what Brad Pitt is saying.

I do bet that Guy wishes he had GB in his earlier films because GB just nailed it IMO. Very good playing a shady character. Also one of the coolest performances I have ever seen from Thandie Newton, very very different than anything she has done. Good chemistry, bwah. I wonder how the DVD sales are or if this is out yet because I would think this DVD should sell well, I am definitely getting this DVD, actually be nice if you could get Snatch, Lock Stock and RocknRolla in one set. I'm looking forward to Guy's Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr.

Rome and now the Tudors is very popular. What is interesting too is the number of great UK actors with TV series in North America. Think Gerry would fancy a weekly TV series.

Hugh Laurie - "House"; Tim Roth - "Lie to Me"; Jonathan Rhys Meyers "The Tudors" and now Joseph Fiennes "Fast Forward"

So does Hollywood have to go overseas to find interesting actors now? Yes apparently so and I'm thrilled.

PS And I forgot there are a few Aussies too. Alex O Louglin, Simon Baker......

Regarding the interview, actors must love technology so they don't have to tear around to all these studios, just sit in a room with a satellite feed which apparently one can pick up and watch Gerard change shirts and make jokes about housewives.

Actually, Gerry's character is a good guy even though he's plays the Coriollanus nem. Big C is the baddie, from what I gather. Gerry might just well be the hero in this.

YAY

Delene

Yes the Shakespearean hero always turns out to be flawed, King Lear, MacBeth,and of course death seems rather mandatory in the tragedies if you are the lead hero.

Do I take it Big C uses Gerry's character to seek his revenge on Rome and then backstabs him - ah figuratively and then Tullus gets his revenge........so GB doesn't die in this one.

Actually most actors I believe love the opportunity to have a great death scene, so long as it is at the end or near the end of the movie or you are a ghost that comes back natch.

Thanks for clearing it up Delene :)

Either way it's going to be awesome.

He's a BAMF in any role.

So.........Gerry (Aufidius) will get to kill the flawed warrior/politician, Coriolanus........

Vanessa Redgrave will be Coriolanus' domineering mother, Volumnia. If it is modern, I wonder if there will be any allusions to the dictator, Tito?

Sounds like "good stuff" to me!

:tens:

Edited by Emily Bronte

I´m very excited about the news, that Gerard is going to be in a movie together with Fiennes, both great actors. I´m not a really great Shakespeare enthusiast, but this sounds a very interesting project, if done well on all areas.

Yes it appears, after reviewing the plot line GB is really one of the main characters. Lots of screen time. Yay.

I found this interesting, at the end of Wikipedia but it is referenced

Coriolanus has the distinction of being among the few Shakespeare plays banned in a democracy in modern times.[6] It was briefly suppressed in France in the late 1930s because of its use by the fascist element.[7]

Interesting - wonder how that happened given it seems to me Shakespeare is indicting fascism.

Was this incident the inspiration in respect to the possible modern setting of the play. Apparently it is also considered one of Shakespeare's most serious plays, almost none of the humour or comedic relief that occurs in the rest of the tragedies.

I am betting William Hurt is a sleazy Senator.

Oh yeah - can't wait! Fiennes, Redgrave and Butler. :pant::pant::pant:

This is gonna be GREAT!

(Off to reread the play - it's been a looooooong time since college lit.)

This will not be a blockbuster, nor is it meant to be. Even it the movie does not succeed, there is still upside for Gerry doing the film. And because it's Ralph Fiennes the critics will be far kinder and fairer in reviewing this film then they have been to some of Gerry's more commercial roles. Let me put this another way, if Denzel Washington and Russell Crow had been cast together in LAC with the same exact script LAC would have been a critical success! There's a real herd mentally amongst the critics. Which is why they are becoming irrelevant but they do love Fiennes and their reviews can help smaller films.

Brilliant observation.

I love that Gerry confirmed he's playing Tullus; we should all become casting directors cause most of us called it. :lol:

Off to the library to find a copy ...

Edited by phoenixgirl

I used to teach high school English, and if I remember correctly, Tulles (Gerard's part) was a co-lead. Coriolanus was a hero/villain....and at the end, Tulles gets his revenge. In fact, if it is played as the tragedy, Tulles not only does not die, but he also ends up standing on Coriolanus' prostrate body in complete victory. Many times the characters are listed in order of appearance...Coriolanus' mother (I cannot recall her name, but it starts with a "V">)is also a major character. Most British stars just like to play a role...they do not care if it is large or small. However, Tulles is a major role, and Gerard might use an English accent (as in POPT) or he could use his Glaswegian sound since Tulles comes from another Italian city-state. I am so excited for him. This role could lead to an Oscar, too...However, I wish it would be done in Roman costume, merely because I admire his thighs so much! HA!

Poptart

So, in browsing through page after page on this thread today, I see that lots of people are expressing doubt, or reservation about this film...

That's okay! There's nothing wrong with reserving judgment until you see how it turns out, and it doesn't mean that we're questioning or being unfaithful to Gerry!

Plus, we all have our own types of movies that we like better, and if this doesn't seem to fall into your "thing," you shouldn't feel shunned if you say so. That's the great thing about this board... everyone's opinions are respected, as long as they're being respectful themselves.

So, supporters, doubters, lovers, haters, those on the fence, have at it! :D Let us know what you think and why!

:kisswink:

Steph

Rome and now the Tudors is very popular. What is interesting too is the number of great UK actors with TV series in North America. Think Gerry would fancy a weekly TV series.

Hugh Laurie - "House"; Tim Roth - "Lie to Me"; Jonathan Rhys Meyers "The Tudors" and now Joseph Fiennes "Fast Forward"

So does Hollywood have to go overseas to find interesting actors now? Yes apparently so and I'm thrilled.

PS And I forgot there are a few Aussies too. Alex O Louglin, Simon Baker......

Yes, I have always thought that Gerry could play on a weekly series of some sort, maybe a drameda. Maybe it's a selfish notion on my part, but I'd love to have him to look forward to on a weekly basis. I know some have said that he would never consider it. Perhaps he had vocalized that at one time, but I don't think it would hurt his career if he ever tired of making movies. I'd love to see him play a doctor, perhaps on House or Grey's or even star on his own series.

Can you just imagine, lying in the ER waiting for your doc and someone like Gerry walks in?

"Lay those healing hands on me, baby...er....I mean Doc!" :funnyup:

Delene

A few more details on this project albeit the author is responding to some snark someone else put out there about GB being on movie probation

Gerard Butler Goes Shakespearean in 'Coriolanus'

Excerpt

On a very awkward appearance on Baltimore WJX, Butler revealed that his next role would be in Fiennes' adaptation, and he described it as "a passion project" for them both. He didn't specify which role he would be taking on, but I'm hoping it's Coriolanus' sworn enemy, Tullus Aufidius. He always looks so good with blood on him, and it would be glorious to watch him fight Fiennes.

Of course, this is Shakespeare and financing could be difficult even with Fiennes at the helm, though a solid cast should help with that. It was one of the projects at the IFF this September, and I hope they found someone to give them some money. Not only does the world always need more Shakespeare, but Butler needs a meaty role now. Seeing as it was Steven Berkoff's Coriolanus was what ushered Butler into acting, I can think of no better production (save perhaps The Scottish Play) that could wrangle him another plea bargain.

Someone agrees with me, that the Scottish play also benefit from Butlerization and agrees with us that that was some awkward interview this morning. Were those anchor guys drinking already?

Yes, I have always thought that Gerry could play on a weekly series of some sort, maybe a drameda. Maybe it's a selfish notion on my part, but I'd love to have him to look forward to on a weekly basis. I know some have said that he would never consider it. Perhaps he had vocalized that at one time, but I don't think it would hurt his career if he ever tired of making movies. I'd love to see him play a doctor, perhaps on House or Grey's or even star on his own series.

Can you just imagine, lying in the ER waiting for your doc and someone like Gerry walks in?

"Lay those healing hands on me, baby...er....I mean Doc!" :funnyup:

Delene

Stealing from older SNL - Gerard Butler, Dream Gynecologist - no? Ob/Gyn? Plastic Surgeon - already done Nip/Tuck?

He could definitely carry his own series whether in the US or UK but it is usually something you reserve when either the meatier roles are drying up OR you are just tired of traipsing around and want to stay in one place for a while, and like the normality of a routine that a TV series can bring thought they work long hours too esp if you are the lead - a lot of actors and actresses when they finally have a young family like the idea of being in one place esp if the show is successful.......or for example it doesn't have to be a full series commitment, could be a one shot season - I have seen a few one season only series in the UK. the show comes to its natural conclusion in one season or a mini series type thing like Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect, now that is a crime show - I love the fact that everyone is so flawed in that show.

Edited by lavender1960

Hmmmmm...

The idea of GB guesting on, oh, say, three episodes of House playing a doc as brilliant or even moreso than House really tickles my imagination...AND...maybe having Thirteen fall hard for him...

Yo, House writers...anyone listening out there?

A few more details on this project albeit the author is responding to some snark someone else put out there about GB being on movie probation

Gerard Butler Goes Shakespearean in 'Coriolanus'

Excerpt

On a very awkward appearance on Baltimore WJX, Butler revealed that his next role would be in Fiennes' adaptation, and he described it as "a passion project" for them both. He didn't specify which role he would be taking on, but I'm hoping it's Coriolanus' sworn enemy, Tullus Aufidius. He always looks so good with blood on him, and it would be glorious to watch him fight Fiennes.

Of course, this is Shakespeare and financing could be difficult even with Fiennes at the helm, though a solid cast should help with that. It was one of the projects at the IFF this September, and I hope they found someone to give them some money. Not only does the world always need more Shakespeare, but Butler needs a meaty role now. Seeing as it was Steven Berkoff's Coriolanus was what ushered Butler into acting, I can think of no better production (save perhaps The Scottish Play) that could wrangle him another plea bargain.

Someone agrees with me, that the Scottish play also benefit from Butlerization and agrees with us that that was some awkward interview this morning. Were those anchor guys drinking already?

Thank you, Lavender, for your posting of this poster's commentary on these knucklehead interviewers and for your agreement with the poster! I had mentioned them (the knucklehead interviewers) a loooonnnnnggg time ago in this string and didn't get any response from the gals so I thought I was alone in thinking they were a bit, well.....'off' shall we say to be respectful (as I'm trying SOOOO hard to be ~ Oh geesh, I hope saying "knuckleheads" isn't disrespectful! Well, I'm just gonna have to risk it, cuz' I really can't think of anything better at the moment!). Anyway, thanks and kudos, girl!

that was some awkward interview

Gerry did look a bit discombobulated for some reason. I think it was the notion of changing his shirt and even that one looked like he had borrowed it from someone else two sizes smaller than him. I don't know why they thought that one was better than the supposed v neck sweater he had on. How can a V neck be too provocative? :cleavage: I can imagine that the remark/joke played in to this as Gerry was probably warned that it was too early to set off the housewives after their husbands had gone to work for the day. If it was considered too early in the morning for the showing of chest hair maybe, they should take in to consideration that you can't tone down Gerry's natural sexuality. When will they ever learn?

Delene

that was some awkward interview

Gerry did look a bit discombobulated for some reason. I think it was the notion of changing his shirt and even that one looked like he had borrowed it from someone else two sizes smaller than him. I don't know why they thought that one was better than the supposed v neck sweater he had on. How can a V neck be too provocative? I can imagine that the remark/joke played in to this as Gerry was probably warned that it was too early to set off the housewives after their husbands had gone to work for the day. If it was considered too early in the morning for the showing of chest hair maybe, they should take in to consideration that you can't tone down Gerry's natural sexuality. When will they ever learn?

Delene

It was also done at 6:00 am the morning after the Whitney Museum Gala. I'm thinking he was a tad tired. :lol:

Gerry has said before that he doesn't have any desire to do television, except a voice over for South Park. :rotflmao:

He did TV REAL good last Saturday Night! Guess he didn't mean it. :funnyup:

I hope saying "knuckleheads" isn't disrespectful!

How about condescending, patronizing idgits?

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Gerry has said before that he doesn't have any desire to do television, except a voice over for South Park. :rotflmao:

He did TV REAL good last Saturday Night! Guess he didn't mean it. :funnyup:

I hope saying "knuckleheads" isn't disrespectful!

How about condescending, patronizing idgits?

Delene

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about, Delene! I can say stuff like that? Alllllll Riiiiiiiiight! Awesome!

He did TV REAL good last Saturday Night! Guess he didn't mean it.

Delene

:funnyup:I'm pretty sure he meant series TV, smartass. :wedgie:

Yipee another meaty role for Gerry as it looks like he will play Tullus according to the latest news article by Quint.

BTW: Those people doing the interview of Gerry asking about his shirt were annoying!