Gerard Butler GALS

10/21 - Gerry to Star in Coriolanus w/ Ralph Fiennes

Swansong

This sounds interesting. I read somewhere that they're doing it as a modernized version of the Shakespeare play.

I've never been big on Shakespeare and somehow I scammed my way through that section in high school and college. Now, I'm wishing I hadn't, LOL.

It'll be intersting to see it.

D

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I just had a thought.

You know we love our acronyms, PSILY, TUT, RNR, LAC, etc. If Gerry's in Coriolanus, am I going to have to type that out every time. It doesn't flow. I have to pay attention to what I'm typing. I mean.......I don't think "C" will work.

Okay, D, you can go back to your off topic discussion.

I was just wondering since this is a modern adaptation of Coriolanus that perhaps the name of the movie will be different. This is, afterall, a Shakespearean name and you don't hear names like that thrown around in modern times. I did not see anything about a "working title" but maybe I missed it. If it is not set in the era of the original story I would suspect the names will be changed.

umm....so I`ve officially died and drifted up to heaven.....

Gerry & Shakespeare....two of my favorite things combined.....dreams do come true....hehehehehehe!

...AND Ralph Fiennes! It simply cannot get any better!

From the looks of the poster, it seems like both Ralph and Gerry will have to muscle up again, so there go the cupcaces... :-(

Theresa

Speaking of cupcakes, I was wondering, are those home made, bakery, store bought, Hostess or maybe "ding dongs"? I would seriously like to know! :funnyup:

Delene

This sounds interesting. I read somewhere that they're doing it as a modernized version of the Shakespeare play.

I've never been big on Shakespeare and somehow I scammed my way through that section in high school and college. Now, I'm wishing I hadn't, LOL.

It'll be intersting to see it.

D

My own experience has been that for whatever reason Shakespeare has made more sense as I have gotten older - maybe you need some life experience to truly appreciate it.

I only took Shakespeare in high school, we did one a year, Julius Caesar, Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet, King Lear and MacBeth. I was a good student but in retrospect I didn't fully understand all those plays.

Romeo & Juliet was always easy and we had a great teacher that year who explained all the bawdy bits - wonder if parents would have been appalled? We also went to see the Franco Zefferelli version of Romeo & Juliet that year and it was a gorgeous film.

I never fully understood Hamlet until I saw the film version of Hamlet by Franco Zeffirelli with yes Mel Gibson - my friend and I who had both taken the play in high school looked at ourselves at the end and said Wow now we get it. Then I watched Rosencrantz and Guidenstern are Dead several times and I now I truly GET Hamlet. The Scottish play, always my favourite, again I only truly understood it after seeing yes Roman Polanksi's version of the film which I would indeed highly recommend.

And that would be a noble goal for Mr. Fiennes to acheive - if people who have never read the play or read it but didn't quite understand it can come out of the film with a true understanding of the play without necesarily mucking around with the words of the Bard. Judicious adaptation is the key. I am wonder if that adaptation might not be floating around the net somewhere.

Edited by lavender1960

In my experience, because I have performed quite a bit of Shakespeare throughout middle and high school. and I have also read many of those plays for recreation, and in my experience Shakespeare is always better understood if you perform it first hand. Many are put off by Shakespeare, because yes it is very complex and its not for everyone. But I am a Shakespeare enthusiast and I think its very important to appreciate and more importantly to understand that preservation of such priceless literature should be done.

D. the poster w/ the gun shows the name Coriolanus and it is also on IMDB under that. That doesn't mean it couldn't be changed, of course.

Yeah, I noticed that, Ren. I also noticed that the poster looks too much like the one for Gamer. The forward process of movie making is fascinating! It will interesting to see how it all evolves over the next few months!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Speaking of cupcakes, I was wondering, are those home made, bakery, store bought, Hostess or maybe "ding dongs"? I would seriously like to know! :funnyup:

Delene

From what I have read in the past, Gerry loves muffins, especially those found at Starbucks. He calls them cupcakes. I have a picture of him eating a muffin while shooting "Beowulf".

~HUGS~ Kathy

Delene

From what I have read in the past, Gerry loves muffins, especially those found at Starbucks. He calls them cupcakes. I have a picture of him eating a muffin while shooting "Beowulf".

~HUGS~ Kathy

You know, that crossed my mind. I thought maybe he meant muffins. I would think a good bran muffin wouldn't do him any harm now and then! I was concerned it was along the line of the HO HO, Ding Dong variety. Cupcakes are a broad spectrum of pastry!

Delene

P.S. Oh, Kathy, I'd love to see that picture! I love it that Gerry has a sweet tooth.

Edited by GBPhanatic

so wait....if they are modernizing it, changing the story in the process of modernizing it, changing all the character names, and now the actual title....then its not actually Coriolanus then....I `m all sorts of confused now....

We don't know what the statement that they are modernizing or adapting the play is going to mean.

It could be that they are making the setting of the play more modern, so they aren't doing yet another Roman costume drama: after that Colin Farrell stinker, producers might be loathe to finance something like that. There was a suggestion of 1930s Nazi era, but we don't know if that means they are changing the names of characters or not, sticking to the Shakespearean dialogue or not. I have found the name of the guy who wrote the adaptation so I will do some snooping around and see if I can't find out anything more.

My own feeling is modernize the setting even the context, and even edit out some more extraneous bits, if you must, but don't change the words of the Bard. Then you could still call it Coriolanus in pretty good faith. Besides want to hear that kind of dialogue tripping off GB's tongue.

This is interesting John Logan, who wrote the adaption wrote the screenplays for Gladiator and The Aviator, for which he was nominated for Oscars. Wow no schlep indeed. He also wrote the screenplay for Sweeney Todd [with Johnny Depp] among other movies. He was a playwright initially.

Now as noted by others, the plot summary at IMDB sounds as if this is staying true to the Shakespearean play.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1372686/plotsummary

The other interesting thing [might be time to sign up for IMDB pro's free trial] the summary is credited as being written by Icon Entertainment.

Icon Entertainment is Mel Gibson's production company. Hmmm.

And actually Mel would be the kind of guy to finance something like this. He has taken some huge risks filmwise that have paid off. Or it means maybe they did own the script at one time, perhaps not anymore?

Also IMDB seems to be suggesting that filming will start in the spring not January 2010.

River Road Entertainment will film a modern day version of Shakespeare’s "Coriolanus" in Serbia. Ralph Fiennes will direct and play the lead in the movie. The actor and director Ralph Fiennes, the producer Frank Hildebrand, and the set designer Mark Geraghty, visited Serbia as a possible filming location in July. The Federation Palace (the SIV building) and the IMT factory in Belgrade were chosen as locations for filming.

The crew also visited other localities in and outside of Belgrade, such as the Belgrade’s Old Court and hotel "Yugoslavia", Deliblatska pešcara, Petrovaradin and the “Pink” film studio in Šimanovci and were impressed by the variety of possible filming locations in Serbia.

http://ralphfiennes-corner.net/filmography...coriolanus2.php

Edited by lavender1960

The 1996 version of Romeo and Juliet (DiCaprio and Danes) was done in the contemporary style keeping the words of the Bard. I thought it was extremely well done. I would think that if Logan sticks with the original dialogue, Coriolanus should come off quite well staged in modern times. He is definitely no slouch in the writing department.

For those of us interested in the minutiae I think this sheds some light - part of this interview was already posted but this gives a bit more clues

Ralph Fiennes spoke exclusively to ScreenDaily yesterday (May 16 2009) about his directorial debut Corialanus.

The project is set to start shooting early next year in Belgrade. And he is determined not to make a stale cinematic version of Shakespeare. "People who have read the script think it's a page-turner," he said. "I want it to be an edge-of-the-seat film."

Fiennes will also star in the film playing Corialanus, Vanessa Redgrave has signed on to play his mother Volumnia and rising star Jessica Chastain (The Debt, Tree Of Life) his wife Virgilia. William Hurt will also star.

John Logan, the US writer of Gladiator, The Last Samurai and The Aviator, has written the script for Coriolanus which Fiennes first played on stage in London in 2000. "I became obsessed with the play and couldn't lose the idea from my mind of it being a film. If you are rigorous in adapting it, it ends up like a political thriller."

Logan, Fiennes said, has "aggressively edited" the original text and fortified the "high tension story" revolving around the family dynamic at its core and the subject of inter-state conflict. Fiennes and Logan have moved the setting from ancient Rome to "a power state today".

Belgrade, he adds, is perfect for his anywhere location with its blend of neo-classical and contemporary architecture. "Belgrade also has something bruised about it which is appropriate for this story," he says.

Fiennes references Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet (1996) as setting the bar for making Shakespeare accessible to contemporary audiences. "I don't want it to be in that Shakespeare voice that puts you off," he says. "Audiences want to hear Shaksepeare and they understand more than they think they are going to. The second film I ever saw was Olivier''s Henry V when I was nine years old and I loved it."

He also says that he is referencing Gillo Pontecorvo's The Battle Of Algiers for its neo-realist portrait of a city in conflict.

Fiennes says he will work closely with his DP Barry Ackroyd, a Ken Loach regular who also shot United 93 and Fiennes-starrer The Hurt Locker. "He has a brilliant eye for composition but also a very simple style that works for Ken Loach," he says.

As for directing, he says he is naturally nervous. "I've become more and more clear that it is what I want to do, he says and cites the different styles of film-makers he has worked with including Anthony Minghella, Robert Redford, Steven Spielberg, Istvan Szabo, Stephen Daldry and David Cronenberg.

"I wouldn't know how to be baroque with a camera," he says. "I want honest camerawork to reflect the scene that is going on. I loved how Istvan Szabo shot which was very simply capturing the actors."

Icon came on board when Bill Pohlad's River Road Entertainment dropped out last year, but Fiennes says that River Road played a "huge part in the development process." Pohlad also recommended that Fiennes meet with Chastain who starred in River Road's Tree Of Life for director Terrence Malick.

Yesterday in Cannes, he presented a "mood reel" to buyers which included footage of sample scenes which he and Redgrave have shot to show how their mother-son relationship will play.

He says that he and Ackroyd have collected hundreds of images from current conflicts which will act as visual references for the film. "The story is about the eternal war that never stops," he says. "It could be Israel and Palestine or Russia and Chechnya."

Icon Entertainment International has take on sales for the film. Producers on the film are Julia Taylor-Stanley of Artemis Films and Gabrielle Tana of Magnolia Mae Films.

http://www.screendaily.com/ralph-fiennes-r...5001242.article

Ah and Icon Entertainment produced Butterfly on a Wheel aka Shattered....and it looks Icon Entertainment International is a subsidiary of Icon Productions and it appears that Mel and his partner sold this part of their company in 2008.

Edited by lavender1960

Delene

~HUGS~ Kathy

Well, from what we've seen in the past, Gerry loves the bakery cupcakes, either Crumbs or Magnolia Bakery. And they are cupcakes...

:wuv:

For those of us who have not seen the Baz Luhrman version of Romeo & Juliet referenced by Ralph Fiennes

from a review

Very underrated modernization of the classic Shakespeare play. This movie has been pretty heavily criticized for the directors outlandishness in cinematography, but he understands when to tone down the often frantic pace of the storytelling during the dramatic scenes, and in fact this relationship tends to amplify their potency. Beautifully choreographed and shot, wonderfully acted by both the supporting cast and the main 2 stars, Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes, and extremely sly modernization techniques to the dialogue. All the elizabethan dialogue remains intact, yet it all seems coherent in the modern atmosphere. mostly due to good imagery and double meaning in the phrases (ex: their swords being a gun model, or the flash of money while quoting gold.). One of the best shakespeare adaptations in the multitude of which have entered the cinemas in the past few years.

I have not seen this movie and frankly the cast list would not inspire great expectations on first glance. I can't watch Titanic because I feel like Leonardo DiCaprio is talking in modern language/cadence in a film that takes place in a different era, Winslet is almost but not quite as bad, in my opinion. However clearly the cast already of Coriolanus are all heavy hitters.

ETA I will take Catwoman's word that it was well done! Have to put that on the list for winter viewing.

But I am more excited now, I didn't think Ralph would mess with the words of the Bard.

Edited by lavender1960

Delene

~HUGS~ Kathy

You know, that crossed my mind. I thought maybe he meant muffins. I would think a good bran muffin wouldn't do him any harm now and then! I was concerned it was along the line of the HO HO, Ding Dong variety. Cupcakes are a broad spectrum of pastry!

Delene

P.S. Oh, Kathy, I'd love to see that picture! I love it that Gerry has a sweet tooth.

Here's the picture but if you have the DVD "Wrath of Gods" or "Beowulf" you will see him eating the muffin on the ship waiting for the shoot to start. I've seen him eating muffins on other movie sets as well.

Click to enlarge...

Posted Image

~HUGS~ Kathy

Here's the picture but if you have the DVD "Wrath of Gods" or "Beowulf" you will see him eating the muffin on the ship waiting for the shoot to start. I've seen him eating muffins on other movie sets as well.

Click to enlarge...

~HUGS~ Kathy

Gives the term Stud Muffin new meaning eh?

Though frankly I cannot tell what Beowulf has in his paws, it looks like neither cupcake or muffin.

Edited by Songbird
to remove quoted image. Please refer to posting guidelines. Thanks.

Delene

~HUGS~ Kathy

Well, from what we've seen in the past, Gerry loves the bakery cupcakes, either Crumbs or Magnolia Bakery. And they are cupcakes...

:wuv:

I've seen Gerry eating said cupcakes and he loves his doughnuts too...haha I think he's developed more of a sweet tooth since stopping smoking.

Edited by Dragon Slayer

Actually, to me it looks like a cupcake wrapper he's holding. A white cake cupcake. Do they call muffins cupcakes in Scotland?

Marg, are those bakeries in NYC? I've been to the one in Chelsea and those cupcakes are HUGE!!! Holy shite! I have a pic of them somewhere. They're like two regular sized ones. :lol:

Wow, we really do need some new Gerry pictures or something to drool over ...

Back to Coriolanus (which is now easy for me to write) ... I had to get a book of Shakespeare's tragedies to read it. I started this morning. It takes me a while because I have to think about each paragraph and make sure I'm "interpreting" it correctly. But Fiennes is right - we understand it more than we think we do.

Icon did Shattered? Blech.

I hope we hear more and more about this and that Gerry is actually 100% confirmed attached. I get the feeling they're still ironing things out. It's not listed on Gerry's IMDB thing, and in the interview Gerry said "maybe". I hope we're not getting all excited for nothing.

Edited by phoenixgirl

Delene

~HUGS~ Kathy

Delene

~HUGS~ Kathy

I'm reminded of the Bonnie Hunt interview and the hiding of sweets etc..

Wonder if that muffin was one that someone hid for him ;):music:

He's such a stud muffin anyway! Cupcakes or muffins, I'll bet he's had both.

Going back to Shakespeare and movies, I'm trying to get my mind around a modern day Shakespearean adaptation using the dialect. I did not see the modern R and J with Leo D. Maybe I should rent it. However, I believe the integrity of the story line does not have to be changed with just some adjustments in the dialogue and modernizing it to a more current time, like the 1930's. Here's the last line of the play which would be Gerry's part. I believe this is after Aufidius kills Coriolanus. It would loose some of it's poetic beauty however in "translation".

AUFIDIUS

My rage is gone;

And I am struck with sorrow. Take him up.

Help, three o' the chiefest soldiers; I'll be one.

Beat thou the drum, that it speak mournfully:

Trail your steel pikes. Though in this city he

Hath widow'd and unchilded many a one,

Which to this hour bewail the injury,

Yet he shall have a noble memory. Assist.

Exeunt, bearing the body of CORIOLANUS. A dead march sounded

I am no longer angry but I am struck with sorrow.

Three of the top ranking soldiers, including myself, shall carry him.

Beat the drums mournfully and lower your weapons.

Though somewhere in this city, there are the widows and mothers of the husbands and sons,

That still suffer at this hour in their pain, yet he shall have a noble memory.

Now, let's get him out of here before he starts stinking up the place.

:funnyup:

Delene

Shivers, hearing and seeing GB delivering that Shakespearean text in my mind.....

The Shakespearean purists would be up in arms though tinkering with the text. I'd be one of them.

It sounds like and this is part of the key - they are going to edit out large parts of the play - esp the one with lesser characters and ones that do not drive the plot line and keep the best parts.

I find that if the lines are delivered by a superior actor and spoken slowly in a natural cadence just about everyone can get the gist. A well trained actor can make the dialogue sounds as if it is coming off his tongue naturally as if it is everyday speech.

Now I saw MacBeth at Stratford. Besides the fact I did not like their modern context, the actors were speaking far too quickly because MacBeth is a long play and I think they had to in order to get it done in 2 1/2 hours including intermission. Colm Feore was good as MacBeth but overall the play was very disappointing. But I think at Stratford it would be sacrilege to cut any of the play out. So seeing a good stage version of MacBeth remains on my Bucket List.

Hamlet the year before was not only very well done, also put into a modern context, but got some huge laughs, the Bard would have been pleased. Those actors had the comedic timing on top of everything else.

In terms of film I loved Franco Zeffirelli's Hamlet with Mel Gibson [did you know that one of Mel's middle names is Gerard - sorry I found that out] and for a Shakespearian film, it didn't do too badly at all commercially given the limited screen run - $20 million total gross in 1990 - that as good as Gamer in 2009. Romeo + Juliet did 46 million US + 100 million foreign - but they went wide screen release - well you can never go wrong with the classic story of star crossed lovers it appears....

Ralph Fiennes is certainly talking on a big task, directing and starring.

Did I catch that right, did Gerry play the same role when he did Coriolanus on the stage?

Edited by lavender1960

Cupcake vs muffin, I am getting confused.

In Canada a cupcake is just a smaller version of a piece of cake, sugar sugar sugar, usually with icing.

Posted Image

Most muffins have far less sugar than a cupcake and some muffins are practically healthy - low fat bran or oatmeal muffins though chocolate chip muffins are great. You got cake on one side of the scale and bread on the other and most muffins fall in between, some are more cakey some are more grainy.

And both cupcakes and muffins are verboden on most healthy eating regimes, even low fat muffins. One would be encouraged to go with whole grain bread instead if you must. Sigh.

So is Gerard a muffin eater [heh heh] or a cupcake eater. Inquiring minds need to know. The cupcakes work better in my fantasy.

Edited by lavender1960