Gerard Butler GALS

Let’s give The Shade Tree a TREAT!

Thanks for posting Marlene!

It breaks my heart to hear how some woman and children are treated. There is absolutely no right for one human being to cause harm to another.

I'm so glad GALS supports such worthy causes. Makes me very proud to be a GAL :hearts:

Cheryl

:wuv: To All The GALS,

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and what a poignant way to end the month! Thank you for standing with the women and children that made it out. It has been particularly difficult to see the injuries the women endured recently. I have been working with abused women and children for many years and so don't usually respond with tears but there have been some victims whose injuries and stories have been so profound, it took my breath away. One of the sweetest women with us went to court this week and faced her attacker. When she returned, I gently touched her still healing shoulder and cheered for her victory over her greatest fear.

As the week and month come to a close, I am in awe of the network of support woven around these shattered lives from all of you. Tonight the women and children are safe and tomorrow they will awaken and continue to overcome their fears and injuries. I know that each of you will be supporting every step they make and cheering for all the victims to survive and heal.

Gratefully Yours,

Marlene

Marlene ~

It is OUR privilege to assist you in your truly amazing work. Nobody should ever live in abuse, neglect, or hate.

:thankyou: for all your efforts. In my eyes, YOU are truly an angel!

Come on GALS and PALS, one FINAL push! It's 6:42 PM Mountain time, so we have just over five hours to go!

:hugs:

Dayna

I donated again. My sister lost her life when she was 33 years old to an abusive husband. It is so very important that these women and children be supported in their quest to get away and gain strength both mentally and physically. Kudos to all of you for helping them and knowing the importance of your donations. Because of your donations and caring there is some place and people that they can turn to when all else fails. Very glad to be a member of GB Gals and what they represent.

I missed this earlier, patsueb, so I apologize for not acknowledging your post. I'm so sorry you lost your sister in such a violent and senseless manner. No one should have to endure that kind of pain of losing a loved one that way...no one.

Thank you so much for donating again to this very worthwhile cause and your personal story truly touched my heart. Someday (I hope sooner rather than later), I would love to establish a means of going to Jr. High School aged girls and teach them the "warning signs" of abusive men and also how important it is for them to KNOW that NO ONE "deserves" to be abused! Many times the abuse starts small (insert the frog in the boiling pot story here), but can quickly turn deadly violent, as you, patsueb, know all too well. We MUST teach our children, to treat others with respect, but equally important, love and respect themselves!

Sorry, off soapbox now. This cause just touches me very deeply.

Dayna

:hearts: Thank you to everyone who made donations to this Treat for The Shade Tree drive!

GB GALS members raised $820!!!

Add the winning bid of $685 by Ginnywhit for the autographed photo, and we have raised

$1,505

for the benefit of The Shade Tree!!!

You all never cease to amaze me by your generosity and kindness. I am so proud to be a member of Gerard Butler GALS, and I am doubly proud and humbled to be an officer of GALS Charitable Foundation.

Sincerely,

"Songbird"

Katie Steuart

Secretary/Treasurer

GALS Charitable Foundation

Envision. Encourage. Empower.

' I'm sitting here with a tear in my eye as I am both happy for the amount raised but also saddened because something like this cause has to be in the first place. I've been there and I know many more that have...In my day we were not lucky enough to have the help and support that is out there today like this wonderful foundation! I was lucky .... I walked away and never looked back...but unfortunately there are so many women and children and yes even some men out there that are in need of help and have no other alternative so we give thanks to these wonderful organizations such as The Shade Tree Shelter! I am putting this on my donation list ... I don't give a lot but I give what I can.

:wave: Frannie

It's all rather overwhelming isn't it?

I've been kinda weepy with warn fuzzies all day. I know we don't ALL always agree or express our fan-ship for Gerry the same ways, BUT like all families, we come together when and where it really counts.

KB

This is fantastic.

Great job everyone. It makes you proud to be part of a group of people that in many cases have little in common, but Gerard Butler. Something about him pulls us all together and makes things like this possible.

I donated again. My sister lost her life when she was 33 years old to an abusive husband. It is so very important that these women and children be supported in their quest to get away and gain strength both mentally and physically. Kudos to all of you for helping them and knowing the importance of your donations. Because of your donations and caring there is some place and people that they can turn to when all else fails. Very glad to be a member of GB Gals and what they represent.

I missed this earlier, patsueb, so I apologize for not acknowledging your post. I'm so sorry you lost your sister in such a violent and senseless manner. No one should have to endure that kind of pain of losing a loved one that way...no one.

Thank you so much for donating again to this very worthwhile cause and your personal story truly touched my heart. Someday (I hope sooner rather than later), I would love to establish a means of going to Jr. High School aged girls and teach them the "warning signs" of abusive men and also how important it is for them to KNOW that NO ONE "deserves" to be abused! Many times the abuse starts small (insert the frog in the boiling pot story here), but can quickly turn deadly violent, as you, patsueb, know all too well. We MUST teach our children, to treat others with respect, but equally important, love and respect themselves!

Dayna

That is such an admirable goal and as you know, it is sorely needed. I am appalled by the newscast showing High School girls accepting the abuse. I am even more appalled by the young men that think it is their right!! I am so old that this type of thing didn't go on in high school. If it had the other boys would have protected the girl. Could you start at one Jr. High and see where it goes from there? You might get much more support and financial help than you dream of. Worth a try. Go for it. (I doubledog dare you :) ) Pat

Dayna

That is such an admirable goal and as you know, it is sorely needed. I am appalled by the newscast showing High School girls accepting the abuse. I am even more appalled by the young men that think it is their right!! I am so old that this type of thing didn't go on in high school. If it had the other boys would have protected the girl. Could you start at one Jr. High and see where it goes from there? You might get much more support and financial help than you dream of. Worth a try. Go for it. (I doubledog dare you :) ) Pat

A dare?! Oh man....I RARELY say "no" to a dare! Since my daughter's former Junior High School is within walking distance of me, I shall get a program together (perhaps Marlene can assist me with facts and figures) and then make a presentation to the school. It will take me a few weeks because I want everything to be as perfect as I can get it before presenting.

It used to be that High School-aged girls would be the target audience, but unfortunately, abuse has already begun in high school and we have to get these girls early on!

After meeting with some of my church's woman's group today and telling them all about TST and the cause, they have asked me to see if any local shelters are in need and set up a visit and pull together a plan to assist them. Should the help NOT be needed locally (which I seriously doubt is the case), they have vowed that they will join us in our endeavors with TST! How cool is that?!

:thankyou: everyone for your contributions! I can't EVEN begin to tell you all how proud I am of you and how much I love and respect you.

Dayna

To all the GALS:

I feel so blessed to have your support for the women and children in shelter right now. I read all the posts and it is just so incredible to feel this compassion pouring toward our guests. I humbly thank you for your kindness and will tell everyone at The Shade Tree tomorrow morning about your generosity that is woven into a hug reaching out to each of them.

The domestic violence prevention message is a perfect match for your compassion. Whenever a young person is empowered to build confidence, they will be equipped with a voice to protect themselves and their friends. I'll gather the information and post it so that all the parents of teens as well as inspired men and women can take the message to your communities. There are many resources available and ready to be presented to the young women and young men in schools and community settings everywhere. During Spring Break and again in Summer Break 2009, the teen daughters of our victims at that time participated in a domestic violence prevention program and they created paintings of their message. Their art work is posted on our web site's home page if you would like to see how they created their voice!

Thank you all for helping. You have reached those who are healing and can help keep this tragedy from touching other families. What a miraculous event!

Hugs Back to all of you!

Marlene

Dayna

A dare?! Oh man....I RARELY say "no" to a dare! Since my daughter's former Junior High School is within walking distance of me, I shall get a program together (perhaps Marlene can assist me with facts and figures) and then make a presentation to the school. It will take me a few weeks because I want everything to be as perfect as I can get it before presenting.

It used to be that High School-aged girls would be the target audience, but unfortunately, abuse has already begun in high school and we have to get these girls early on!

After meeting with some of my church's woman's group today and telling them all about TST and the cause, they have asked me to see if any local shelters are in need and set up a visit and pull together a plan to assist them. Should the help NOT be needed locally (which I seriously doubt is the case), they have vowed that they will join us in our endeavors with TST! How cool is that?!

:thankyou: everyone for your contributions! I can't EVEN begin to tell you all how proud I am of you and how much I love and respect you.

Dayna

Wellllll! Teach me to doubledog dare anyone, let alone a woman of action!!! I think it's so great you are going to speak to them. I just know (after all these years) that if you have a goal for the future, take a step toward it and the results can be amazing. Bet it will be a great speech and will touch and save. Bye, Pat

(patsueb) PAT!!

YOU are the lucky gal who will receive a very nice "Thank You" gift from GB GALS!!

:woo::throw:

Please PM me with your mailing address!

:cheer2:

Katie

(patsueb) PAT!!

YOU are the lucky gal who will receive a very nice "Thank You" gift from GB GALS!!

:woo::throw:

Please PM me with your mailing address!

:cheer2:

Katie

My gosh, thank you! I've never won anything. It must be a sign. :)

Patsueb,

:woohoo: Your thank you gift is going in the mail today! :woohoo:

Be sure and 'report' back in when you receive it!!

We'll wait and let you tell everyone what it is. ;)

Patsueb,

:woohoo: Your thank you gift is going in the mail today! :woohoo:

Be sure and 'report' back in when you receive it!!

We'll wait and let you tell everyone what it is. ;)

My thank you gift or I should say gifts arrived today! It was a lovely framed picture of Gerry. I think the frame is about 11x13". A GB key chain with the 2 different pictures, a bookmark with 2 lovely pictures and one of the GB postcard. What a surprise. Thank you, thank you.

I guess you know that my family will be discussing all this among themselves. I already have my GB movie collection, a mousepad with his various movie roles, One set of 13 magnets of his movie roles and one set of 9 magnets from the Ugly Truth Truth. At my age, they'll be talking about committing me!! :)

Seriously thank you every so much. It was a very welcome surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

I received two separate lovely emails from two of the teachers and they informed me the funds are about met and the project will happen for the kids. It's a nice way to start the day knowing some kids out there are made happy :)

Just wanted to share this...