Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
MoAnamCara

Story Line Musings

I was just sitting here tonight thinking how much I love, "Dear Frankie." I also love how much Gerry loves that movie and how proud he is of it, even though it never got much attention and hardly anyone in his interviews, of late, mentions it.

It got me to thinking how loverly it would be to see him in more films like that....movies that stand on their own two feet simply because of their honest simplicity, and by focusing on the actors themselves and the characters they bring to life when the director lets them develop them so subtly through more than just words. All the actors in that film were so exquisite in their roles. I find that to be true in so many independent, small films. Small films with simple but beautiful and believable stories run right up my alley and I have a funny feeling, Gerry, with his sensitivity also would love to do more of them.

Perhaps, after a couple more "attention-getting" films (needed at this time, and I'm so proud of him because he seems to have made a few good choices lately, and doing well) make it onto the screens for Gerry, and his box office pull is more solid, I think it would then be an opportune time for him to return to a few of these types of films. They may not make as much money as the blockbuster thrillers/comedies but they would really give him the chance to show his artistry and versatility by playing everyday "Joes" in everyday situations ~ sounds simple, but I think it's actually the most difficult stuff to play convincingly, because the stories rely so heavily on its characters to make the story work.

After that, well, then I see the road just getting sweeter for Gerry to really be considered as first an artist at his craft, and second one that has potential to carry a movie to success.

Well......with all that being said, I was wondering what kind of small movie I would develop for Gerry if I were to write one. I'm still thinking. Then I thought it might be fun to share this thought with other gals here and see if anyone else would want to let their imagination go with me on this little venture.

Is there anyone out there willing to share your idea of a story line you'd like to develop for Gerry? Maybe this is boring, I don't know....I thought I'd try though. It certainly doesn't have to be limited to what I've already described. It could be any kind of genre. It's limitless! What kind of movie would you like to see Gerry in most?

Hugs!

Mo

Ruggedly handsome, rough-around-the-edges, homicide detective with a torturous past that's left him broken and bitter. Sprinkle in an ex-wife whose suddely thrown back into his life when getting caught up with a gangland murder and it has all the intrigue, suspense and vehement passion one could ask for. He's prideful, relentless and honor bound; but yet extremely flawed, alcohol addiction brought on by trying to cope with the devestation of his failed marriage. She's breathtaking, willfull and innately compassionate; but weighed down with guilt and remorse at the cruel way she systematically destroyed the man he once was. Gradually she realizes the mistake she made all those years ago and finds herelf falling in love all over again; question is, will he be able to look past all that pain and bitterness to allow himself to forgive her?

It should be a story, it really should. Oh wait....... :wuv:

(edit: I should mention that this is already a written story, and not really an idea being tossed out there for use, persay. For those of you not aware, this is the basic Brodie storyline we play over in Bainte Amach.)

Edited by TopazVonZ

Wow, Mo. I'm impressed with this idea. I appreciate that you wrote this; all about his talent and dreams.

I don't have any story ideas; my novel/screenplay isn't good enough for him. I just wanted to share that I really am glad you started this thread.

Well, I can't be very detailed at the moment, but over the summer I did some research into the ancient Celtic civilization, and they were really amazing! For example, the "turtle" formation that the Spartans use at the end of 300 (once they're surrounded, just before they're slaughtered) was actually developed by the Celts.

Anyway, it got me thinking... movies about ancient Greeks, ancient Romans, and movies like Braveheart about the war of Scottish independence are so popular... why has nobody done a movie about the ancient Celts?

So, someday when I have time I'm going to write a screenplay about the ancient Celts. I can see Gerry being interested in a project like this, if done well, since he's always spoken so proudly about his Celtic heritage! Plus, there are lots of interesting Celtic stories to choose from.

Steph

btw- did you know that the Celts sacked Rome?? :D

Ruggedly handsome, rough-around-the-edges, homicide detective with a torturous past that's left him broken and bitter. Sprinkle in an ex-wife whose suddely thrown back into his life when getting caught up with a gangland murder and it has all the intrigue, suspense and vehement passion one could ask for. He's prideful, relentless and honor bound; but yet extremely flawed, alcohol addiction brought on by trying to cope with the devestation of his failed marriage. She's breathtaking, willfull and innately compassionate; but weighed down with guilt and remorse at the cruel way she systematically destroyed the man he once was. Gradually she realizes the mistake she made all those years ago and finds herelf falling in love all over again; question is, will he be able to look past all that pain and bitterness to allow himself to forgive her?

It should be a story, it really should. Oh wait....... :wuv:

(edit: I should mention that this is already a written story, and not really an idea being tossed out there for use, persay. For those of you not aware, this is the basic Brodie storyline we play over in Bainte Amach.)

Well, I don't know what a "Brodie storyline" is, and I don't know about it already being a written story ~ but for what it's worth, Topaz, I really like it, and I can see Gerry doing magnificent art with it! Thanks for your post!

Mo

Wow, Mo. I'm impressed with this idea. I appreciate that you wrote this; all about his talent and dreams.

I don't have any story ideas; my novel/screenplay isn't good enough for him. I just wanted to share that I really am glad you started this thread.

Thanks, sweet Lisa!

Well, I can't be very detailed at the moment, but over the summer I did some research into the ancient Celtic civilization, and they were really amazing! For example, the "turtle" formation that the Spartans use at the end of 300 (once they're surrounded, just before they're slaughtered) was actually developed by the Celts.

Anyway, it got me thinking... movies about ancient Greeks, ancient Romans, and movies like Braveheart about the war of Scottish independence are so popular... why has nobody done a movie about the ancient Celts?

So, someday when I have time I'm going to write a screenplay about the ancient Celts. I can see Gerry being interested in a project like this, if done well, since he's always spoken so proudly about his Celtic heritage! Plus, there are lots of interesting Celtic stories to choose from.

Steph

btw- did you know that the Celts sacked Rome?? :D

I definitely give you my heartfelt, "GO FOR IT!" Steph! I think your idea sounds BRILLIANT!

I was thinking that Gerry's new announced "maybe" movie, "Slide," could possibly qualify as a film in the genre I'm talking about......a character movie. A movie more about people and less about plot. Yes, the plot is important, but it's the development of character and the relationships between the characters that carry the film....i.e. "Dear Frankie." I would so love to see Slide become another Dear Frankie! A movie to sneak up and grab your heart!

I'm still thinking about my movie for Gerry......more to come soon. (I'm toying with something revolving around the little hero stories we hear about these days during the economic crisis we're being hit by in so many ways.)

All are still welcome to join me with more ideas!

Hugs,

Mo

Although my idea above is not one, I agree with you that Gerry should do another character driven film. You're right; Dear Frankie was so refreshing and unique for that reason. And, it really let him demonstrate his depth as an actor, because all we really had to pay attention to in that movie was the character interaction!

I'll try to come up with a little idea to that effect sometime soon... :)

Steph

Personally, I would also love to see Gerry do a deep drama. I would like to see him do some sort of Munich or Michael Clayton or something like that. I want him to get away from rom coms and action flicks. He was so fantastic in LAC and I know there's even more inside him.