Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
saralittrell

clueless

I didnt get a chance to see this movie in theater but I bought it as soon as it came out on dvd (like all of gerry's movies!). I had no idea what it was about though and even after watching it I still didnt have a clue lol but it had some pretty funny moments which i didnt expect from that kind of film. I loved the whole cast as well! i didnt know idris elba had an accent in real life. soo good at hiding it! gerry was awesome in it. didnt expect the thing with bob but it was very well done!

I didnt get a chance to see this movie in theater but I bought it as soon as it came out on dvd (like all of gerry's movies!). I had no idea what it was about though and even after watching it I still didnt have a clue lol but it had some pretty funny moments which i didnt expect from that kind of film. I loved the whole cast as well! i didnt know idris elba had an accent in real life. soo good at hiding it! gerry was awesome in it. didnt expect the thing with bob but it was very well done!

I had to reverse it several times to catch what they were saying. It is one of my favorites for several reasons. The cast is outstanding. I love Idris Elba and Mark Strong...both very nice to look at as well. I love that so many character actors are in several of Gerry's movies...bet they are all great friends. How did you like the "I'll make it worth your while.." part?

Enjoy!

Leslie

One of my favorite movies.Superb cast,great soundtrack,good plot!I really hope there is a sequel

I heard that because the first one didn't do as well as they hoped, there will probably not be a sequel. Sad!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

Here's my attempt at a simplified plot summary:

(I tried to organize the information so that the related issues were together, so it's not exactly in chronological order).

One Two and Mumbles seek to invest money via the (legal) purchase of industrial property. Because they're criminals, they can't get a loan from the bank to make the purchase, so they borrow from Lenny Cole. However, they still need to get "planning permission" to do any construction or renovation of the purchased building.

Lenny Cole is a criminal who has many contacts within the municipal government for the purpose of pushing through property deals that would be otherwise stuck in litigation. After loaning One Two and Mumbles the money, he calls up his contact, the "Councillor," and sees that One Two and Mumbles are denied the planning permission. As such, the building that they purchased is essentially useless and they have no money to pay back the loan to Lenny. As a result, Lenny confiscates the property from him and informs them that they still owe him the balance of the loan.

Meanwhile, Lenny makes a deal with the Russian Juri to use his property contacts to get permission for Juri to build a stadium. Juri also loans Lenny his "lucky painting" as a sign of faith in their business deal.

Unbeknownst to Juri, Lenny's junkie stepson Johnny steals the painting. Lenny attempts to locate Johnny through his former managers, Roman and Micky. To muscle them into finding Johnny, Lenny uses his property contacts to shut down their concert venues. However, Johnny maintains possession of Juri's lucky painting until it is stolen by two junkies, sold to Cookie, given to One Two, and subsequently given to Stella.

Juri needs to obtain 7 million Euros to pay Lenny to get him to use his contacts, so he has his accountant, Stella, withdraw the money in cash from his accounts and use her skills to illegally hide the transaction in the accounting books.

Stella meanwhile has been spending time with One Two as a way to get some excitement in her mundane life. She informs him of the transaction, and gives him details as to when and where he can steal the 7 million Euros if he agrees to give her 20%.

One Two and Mumbles steal the 7 million Euros from Stella's accountants, and subsequently pay the 2 million that they owe Lenny with money that he would have been getting anyway from Juri. Due to the robbery, Juri doesn't have the money to pay Lenny, and Lenny begins to get impatient.

Meanwhile, Handsome Bob seems to be facing a 5 year prison sentence due to evidence provided to the police from a confidential informant about some of his criminal activities. The informant has supposedly been around for years and has resulted in prison time for everyone in the film, including Mumbles, One Two, and Lenny's faithful servant Archie. As a thank-you for paying him back the money on time (with a little extra thrown in) Lenny uses his extensive contacts to get the prosecution of Handsome Bob's case to "lose the paperwork," so that the case is withdrawn.

With Lenny getting impatient and the payment still outstanding, Juri asks Stella to withdraw another 7 million so that he can pay Lenny, but Stella once again tells One Two about the deal, and One Two, Mumbles, and Handsome Bob again rob Juri. Juri begins to get suspicious, and believes that it is LENNY who is orchestrating the robberies. As a result, he contacts the Councillor himself (who is impatient awaiting Lenny's payment regarding Juri's deal) to make the deal directly and has his associate Victor break Lenny's leg as a show of dominance.

The Wild Bunch's second robbery, although a mess, seems successful. However, in making the 20% payment to Stella, the Russians who they had robbed were surveilling Stella, as per orders from Victor.

Recognizing One Two, the Russians follow him back to his place and ambush him, intending to torture and kill him. However, serendipitously, Archie goes to One Two's flat to bring him to Lenny after learning that it was One Two and the Wild Bunch who had been stealing the money that Juri had intended to pay Lenny. Archie and gang kill the Russians and take One Two (as well as Mumbles and Handsome Bob who show up just then) to face Lenny.

Meanwhile, despite the strange circumstances surrounding the two robberies of his 7 million Euros, Juri goes to Stella's flat, amorously interested in her, and seeking to make her his wife. There, he sees his "lucky painting," and takes this to mean that she was involved with Lenny and the robberies of his money. Juri calls to Victor to "join them" (insinuating that Stella is likely to be killed for her betrayal).

Shortly before this, One Two, Mumbles, and Handsome Bob were invited to a party thrown by Stella's husband--a criminal defense attorney named Bertie--in exchange for bringing a drug connection (Cookie). There, Bertie told the Wild Bunch that he knew who the informant was and agreed to provide them with paperwork naming the informant if Handsome Bob would go on a date with him.

When the guys do get the paperwork, the informant is named using the pseudonym of "Sydney Shaw," which doesn't mean anything to them, until Lenny's son Johnny insists in their presence that Lenny was the one who had informed on Archie. Thinking that this could get them off the hook, Handsome Bob suggests that Archie look at the paperwork. Archie does so, and realizes that Lenny is in fact the informant who had sent them all to prison (and Lenny's using his contacts to get people off was all a farce), as he had seen similar paperwork with the name "Sydney Shaw" come across Lenny's desk in the past.

Justifiably angered by the betrayal, Archie and Lenny's former gang kill Lenny and let One Two, Mumbles, and Handsome Bob go free. Some of Lenny's men had already been ordered to kill Johnny, but Johnny, Roman, and Micky are able to overpower them and survive (with a little help from One Two).

Some time passes, and Johnny goes to a rehabilitation clinic to end his drug addiction. Upon his release, Archie greets him with the very painting that he had stolen from Lenny, insinuating that he had killed Juri to obtain it.

THE END

Steph

p.s.- wow. I can't tell you how long that took. And I probably missed some stuff... crazy complicated movie. I have new respect for Guy Richie. :D