Gerard Butler GALS

11/1 - Scottish Screen confirms Butler not filming Burns

becozy

source:

http://deadlinescotland.wordpress.com/2009...-scotland-2074/

article about Gerry bringing LAC to Glasgow continues with:

But the news comes in the same week that it is revealed the Hollywood star has snubbed a film about Robert Burns that was due to be made this year.

“Huge blow”

And there are now worries that it won’t go ahead at all due to the big name lead dropping out.

A source close to the movie said: “Gerry was up for playing the part a couple of years back – but it’s not on his radar now.

“He has much bigger projects in the pipeline and has pulled out. It’s a huge blow. To be honest, there’s little chance of it being made at all without Butler involved. He was the key.”

A spokesman from Scottish Screen confirmed that the film, which was due to be co-produced by London-based Mob Films, had been postponed.

They added: “Burns will not be made this year. We haven’t heard from the production company for a while and there is no chance of Gerard Butler now becoming involved.”

It’s a blow for the Scottish film industry, which has had a number of high-profile films cancelled thanks to the credit crunch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of us take exception to the wording that Gerry 'snubbed' the project.

We all know that this project has been very near and dear to Gerry and if he has had to give up on that dream project, then I think we can all trust Gerry's judgment and be assured that there was good reason involved in the decision. It must have been a very difficult decision for him to make.

Still, sad to hear the news, and I'm sorry for Gerry, too.

source:

http://deadlinescotland.wordpress.com/2009...-scotland-2074/

article about Gerry bringing LAC to Glasgow continues with:

But the news comes in the same week that it is revealed the Hollywood star has snubbed a film about Robert Burns that was due to be made this year.

“Huge blow”

And there are now worries that it won’t go ahead at all due to the big name lead dropping out.

A source close to the movie said: “Gerry was up for playing the part a couple of years back – but it’s not on his radar now.

“He has much bigger projects in the pipeline and has pulled out. It’s a huge blow. To be honest, there’s little chance of it being made at all without Butler involved. He was the key.”

A spokesman from Scottish Screen confirmed that the film, which was due to be co-produced by London-based Mob Films, had been postponed.

They added: “Burns will not be made this year. We haven’t heard from the production company for a while and there is no chance of Gerard Butler now becoming involved.”

It’s a blow for the Scottish film industry, which has had a number of high-profile films cancelled thanks to the credit crunch.

:lalala:I hate to think what this will do over there to his career. Although the Scottish press have in the past been not too nice about him; Gerry will wind up "seeming" like he is snubbing his heritige. Notice I said "seeming" because those of us who are his AVID fans will know better...However; there are "those" others who could and would do him an injustice about it.

I am personally very sad that he will not do this movie since I think it would be "right up" his alley and so in character....I fear he is going to do the same for the sequel to POTO; now that his own production company is up and running....Gerry; remember the rungs on the ladder honey; it was those little steps that got you to where you can now refuse some films...I hope that if and when the sequel comes to the big screen; he will think about it long and hard for all his fans sakes...No other love will do for me than the REAL Phantom.... :kiss:

IF this is true, it is a huge blow and a sad loss. Gerard would have made a great success of Burns and I personally believe it would have been a brilliant role for him, taking him even further down the road of stardom, adding a very important feather to his cap.

Until the man says it himself, I'll still hope..

The continuing saga of BURNS. :tissues:

I guess we will have to see what eventually washes from all of the conflicting reports.

BURNS was dear to him... I hope he has not abandoned it, unless he has artistic concerns.

Oh well... :fook:

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Awww, that's such a bummer. I think I moaned "awwwwww!" about 4 times while reading through that article. I trust Gerry, and I think if he's pulled out it's for a good reason, but it's still a bummer... I think he would have been able to do great things in this role. Plus, I was also thinking about how this would be perceived by the less knowledgeable... Scottish megastar drops his accent, forgets his roots, and snubs his native country? Eeek.

Steph

I´m disappointed that Gerard is not doing "Burns". Maybe the matter just got postponed for too many years? Actually I was getting the feeling that Gerard was starting to look a bit old to play the role of a person who died at 37 years old.

I'm not sure why someone even within three to five years of playing someone of 37, particularly back in those days, would be an issue.

I don't like the word, "snubbed" either. If this is a project postponed, that is different. I don't trust the information given by anyone who would use the word "snubbed". Why would Gerry do this to something that had been his dream?

It seems already the Scottish Press is trying to give him some negative publicity just before he gets home to Scotland. Talk about low!

Like has been said, I won't believe it's over until Gerry says it is himself.

Delene

Apparently .net has received confirmation from "TPTB" that this article is NOT reporting the truth. Lets hope this means that BURNS is still very much on Gerry's radar.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Apparently .net has received confirmation from "TPTB" that this article is NOT reporting the truth. Lets hope this means that BURNS is still very much on Gerry's radar.

Swannie

YAY! I'm all for hoping. And what is TPTB? That's one abbreviation I can't figure out at the moment...

Steph

Neither one of these sites says a thing about it being postponed or otherwise shelved. Mob Films only has the statement from back in January of this year stating that it was to start filming this year. I would think if it had been postponed or whatever, they would have announced it. I would say that it's probably just up in the air at this point.

I'm sure that there is a good reason why Gerry has put it on the back burner for now. I've heard that it sometimes takes years to get a big project like this to come to fruition. I trust Gerry and his decisions and of course all this is just to over shadow his big showing for the LAC premier but I just don't understand why they have to make things up.

The bigger Gerry becomes now, the more attention a movie like Burns will get a little further down the road. I think that Gerry's popularity in the US is important for a movie about one of Scotland's own to make it as big as he wants it to be. Timing is sometimes everything!

Delene

Until Gerry says he's not doing it, then I will ignore the reports. He isn't one to do these kinds of things. It looks like he has a lot of damage control to do when he gets to Scotland. I think that some press like to turn up the heat on the pot and hope it burns. (opps! No pun intended.)

Swannie

As Swannie already mentioned, .net is reporting that this rumor is NOT TRUE. I'm sure they would not do that, if it had not been verified.

I can't believe that Gerry would let the Burns project go on without him. In fact, before I read about him leaving the project I was thinking it was brilliant to have the opening of LAC in Glasgow. What a way to get the Scottish people ready to receive him as Burns. It is such a gracious thing for him to do for his country (his family has to be so so proud) that I can't believe the Burns story. I support Gerry's decisions 100% because he certainly knows what he is doing or he would not be so successful, but I do hope he does Burns. I love period pieces and Gerry would be fantastic as Burns.

Connie

I've been gone all day, so I've really got a lot of catching up to do tonight. However, dot net has a little blub on their home page that the Scottish article about Gerry dropping out of Burns is not true. How they came by this information, it doesn't say. Just that the report is NOT TRUE, so they won't reprint the article. I hope they are correct. Only time will tell.

I think this is the third thread on this I've seen today. I think it's not true, as I don't see Gerry "snubbing" a project that has been so near and dear to him for so many years.

Me thinks the Scottish press does not like our Mr. Butler, which is unfathomable to me. So, time will tell. For now, I still believe this is something that Gerry would like to do and until he/his team confirm otherwise, I'm sticking with that belief.

Those of us who have been Gerryfied practically since Dear Frankie know how near and dear the Burns project is to his heart. I suspect that at worst, the project has been delayed because of financing issues. Companies with perfect track records are being denied funding right now for any reason the banks can dream up. Financing wasn't this bad even back in the 70s and early 80s during the last recession. I would bet the farm this project is still very much in the pipeline. I'm with those above - until I hear/read about it directly from The Man himself, I will remain patient.

Also, along with TPTB (Gerry's Staff) confirming that the rumors of Burns being scrapped are totally false, Team Burns/RT Burns - headed by Alexandria and Rose, have not noted any kind of cancellation of the film, and they are the ones that are very well associated with this, and according to my latest email from RT Burns (yesterday) it is still very much a go. In preproduction (as ist is listed on IMDb), but still very much an active project. I think we can all rest easy about the Burns project for now. It has not been cancelled as of this time, and I expect will go on with Gerry eventually. As near and dear as this project has been to him for so long, I don't think he would ever "snub" the project or back out of it if there were any possible opportunity for him to make the film.

Cheers...

Phantom's AngelRose

I think this is the third thread on this I've seen today. I think it's not true, as I don't see Gerry "snubbing" a project that has been so near and dear to him for so many years.

Me thinks the Scottish press does not like our Mr. Butler, which is unfathomable to me. So, time will tell. For now, I still believe this is something that Gerry would like to do and until he/his team confirm otherwise, I'm sticking with that belief.

Does anyone remember his visit to Craig's at the beginning; when he scowled and openly admitted the he "Hated the Scottish Press". That was back in the day when they wrote about him supposedly "touting" about perhaps being the next 007 man? He said that it was all just rumours and even his mom phoned him saying 'You shouldn't go around touting to be the next Bond!" When he asked her where she got the idea from; she told him there were photos; made up of course; of him posing like bond....The press like the infamous Paparazzi can make you believe anything ; just to sell their rags! :tantrum:

:funnyup: Thanks for remembering that, May.

Poor Gerry! Having to defend himself even to his own beloved mum!! :lol:

Bless his sweet heart. :wuv:

:wave:I bet if you look at youtube for his visit to Craig's it might still be up there? It was so cute the way he growled "I hate the Scottish Press!"... How can you not love the guy?