Gerard Butler GALS

11/5 - Hottest Male Vampires of All Time

Dr. Em

Its really remarkable that actors like Gerry and Gary Oldman have the power to do that. Its like, when their gaze meets yours and for an instant, there is this complete and total raw, genuiene connection and everything just freezes, time freezes and all there is, is this moment. And what you feel, at least in my experience, is this glorious surreality, youre totally entranced....its truly a rush.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really remarkable that actors like Gerry and Gary Oldman have the power to do that. Its like, when their gaze meets yours and for an instant, there is this complete and total raw, genuiene connection and everything just freezes, time freezes and all there is, is this moment. And what you feel, at least in my experience, is this glorious surreality, youre totally entranced....its truly a rush.

First of all I totally agree that the best line in Bram Stroker's Dracula is "I have crossed oceans of time to find you." I mean if that isn't a line to make a girl melt, I don't know what is.

I have this film of course along with the behind the scenes documentary - there is a great part where they are rehearsing that very scene, trying it different ways, different intonations, oh that was hot. The screenwriters and Coppola agreed that they wanted to make Vlad aka Dracula a tragic and romantic figure and the movie succeeded for the most part. I thought Sadie Frost was fantastic as well if I might add.

Gerry and Gary are true actors - first of all they live the character, Gary might be more obsessive about that but they inhibit the character. Anyone can play themselves which is what some actors do, they just rely on their charisma. Boring. Gerry is more a leading man with a character actor's commitment. More amazing given that he never had the training that even Gary Oldman had from drama school.

And another key is the eyes. It is so cliche but it is all in the eyes. On such a large screen, it is the actors and actresses who draw you with with their eyes, with their face, eyes that show all the emotions and vulnerabilty. It is what makes the characters believable. I also know that Gerry and Gary have some common demons and issues [both having fathers that abandoned the family at young ages for example ] and when you know their history and you look at their body of work you can see where they were drawing the emotions from. They are not afraid to go there, to put a little bit of themselves into the character but still playing a character. They are fearless.

Edited by lavender1960

The Butler is definitely the hottest Dracula and should have been ranked higher, for sure! He can bite my neck any day!!! :drac:

To change the subject from deep, dark brooding Drac's to a funny one, did any of you see Love At First Bite with George Hamilton???? He was so funny! My favorite line is when Susan St. James asks if he can stay for a "quickie" before sunrise. He says, "With you, my Darling, nevvvvvvvver a quickie, only a lonnnnnnnnnngie!" :lol:

The Butler is definitely the hottest Dracula and should have been ranked higher, for sure! He can bite my neck any day!!! :drac:

To change the subject from deep, dark brooding Drac's to a funny one, did any of you see Love At First Bite with George Hamilton???? He was so funny! My favorite line is when Susan St. James asks if he can stay for a "quickie" before sunrise. He says, "With you, my Darling, nevvvvvvvver a quickie, only a lonnnnnnnnnngie!" :lol:

Bwah eternity no less.

I have been a vampire fan since I was a kid so my definition of a HOT Dracula was Christopher Lee. Well, after seeing Gerry in Dracula 2000 I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Heck, the film itself was nothing to write home about but who cares? Yeah, when he made that luxuriously sensual walk through Virgin records and every female head turned around in unison, every ounce of moisture in my mouth went south. Owwwww! :drac2::gerrygasm::naughty:

Okay, back to the clean world... Besides Gerry, I was impressed by the comparison between Dracula and Judas Escariot (sp?). I never thought about that before but it makes sense, doesn't it?

I love Gerry as Dracula/Judas. I particularly love the scene on the roof and I thought the play on the Judas story line was clever. The problem w/ Dracula 2000 was............not enough Dracula. To me this movie really shows the chameleon quality that Gerry has. It's often been said that people don't recognize him from role to role. I think you can see that by just watching Dracula 2000. I believe to most people Dracula & Judas would look like 2 different people. I think it's partly due to the beard vs. clean-shaven look. Of course, he's got those beautiful curls and I agree about the walk into the Virgin Records, espcially when he walks by the young girls. Patrick Lussier (director) remarked during the DVD commentary "These 3 girls...I was waiting for Gerry to go to jail.....but he didn't. Gerry's very well-behaved."

He was a good boy. :lol:

I have been a vampire fan since I was a kid so my definition of a HOT Dracula was Christopher Lee. Well, after seeing Gerry in Dracula 2000 I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Heck, the film itself was nothing to write home about but who cares? Yeah, when he made that luxuriously sensual walk through Virgin records and every female head turned around in unison, every ounce of moisture in my mouth went south. Owwwww! :drac2::gerrygasm::naughty:

Okay, back to the clean world... Besides Gerry, I was impressed by the comparison between Dracula and Judas Escariot (sp?). I never thought about that before but it makes sense, doesn't it?

It made perfect sense to me after all was said and done.The ultimate betrayal...Even Heaven didn't want him.Now that was profound....

You are right about that; and this movie made me think more than any other film of Dracula. Of course he was Judas who betrayed Jesus for a hand full of silver! But I also noted that the Producers and Directors got a LOT of flack because of this portrayal. But when one thinks about it; yes it made perfect sense and Gerry played the part exceptionally well; with such depth and passion; much like his Phantom role. The story should never have ended so abruptly; but screamed for a sequel; unfortunately they did not use the same actors and it missed the mark completely. I say when you find a winning character with the caliber of actor like Gerry; you don't replace it to do a sequel....If it ain't broken; don't fix it!

You are right about that; and this movie made me think more than any other film of Dracula. Of course he was Judas who betrayed Jesus for a hand full of silver! But I also noted that the Producers and Directors got a LOT of flack because of this portrayal. But when one thinks about it; yes it made perfect sense and Gerry played the part exceptionally well; with such depth and passion; much like his Phantom role. The story should never have ended so abruptly; but screamed for a sequel; unfortunately they did not use the same actors and it missed the mark completely. I say when you find a winning character with the caliber of actor like Gerry; you don't replace it to do a sequel....If it ain't broken; don't fix it!

Wha-wha-what? What sequel? They didn't do a sequel to Dracula 2000, did they?? I'm lost...

Steph

There was a subsequent "sequel" to Dracula 2000, but Gerry wasn`t in it.

Just from my observation though, Dracula 2000 is one of those films, that either you love or hate. I enjoy it, mostly due to Gerry. Its an okay film over all, with some plot holes here and there. Gerry is fantastic and so is Christopher Plummer, but the supporting cast like Mary and Lucy...blech. I like the soundtrack and I love that they filmed in my city New Orleans. The religious aspect of it was unique you know, and I`m not about to diss that, I found it to be very cool, very different. What bugged me about it was, that it was so abrubt, so many things left up in the air.

It wasnt this amazing, epic journey the way Francis Ford Coppola`s was, which I love the most. Its my favorite rendition b/c it really did Bram Stoker`s novel proud, it really sunk its teeth into the material head on and so fearless in nature.

Yeah, D2K perplexes me. I thought I would love it because I love horror movies, I've always liked Wes Craven movies, I love New Orleans, and I love Gerry... But the movie was never able to come together. Gerry was fabulous, and I thought the Judas angle was really creative and thought-provoking, but the finished product was just blah. I really thought they over-sexualized the female vampires. I understand that's a typical aspect of the story, but I guess I just feel like they did it in a cheap way. Dracula gets to be sexy with an air of dignity, whereas the female vamps were just trashy drooling whores. A feminist critique of this movie might turn out to be quite intriguing. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on it. I still watch D2K on occasion to get my Gerry time, but it's one I watch more infrequently.

Steph

I had never been one for vampire movies so when it came out & someone asked me to go I told them no. I don't want to be scared. I never knew Gerry was in it nor did I know who he was at that time.

When I finally did see DK2 it's so not about being scared but more like seduced. Have mercy!

mhm, but you know, Gerry reminds me a lot of Gary Oldman in certain ways. I can`t quite figure out what it is, but he definetely reminds me of Gary Oldman.

Gary Oldman made Dracula this deep,tragic, beautiful being....it makes my heart swell every time. And, when he says as Dracula to Mina, " I have crossed oceans of time to find you...". Well, those are words that have been seared into my soul forever.

The words that seared my soul was when he saw Mina and said "See me, see me now" That shook me.It had a subtle intensity.The power of persuasion is something else.When Gerry is looking at you and he focuses on you intently,it mesmerizes you.He is a master at sucking you in with those peepers of his.I know this is gonna seem a little bizarre,but that fascinated me so much that I have said it to myself to see what kind of reaction I would get,don't remember if it worked or not,but it always stuck with me for some reason....

I love that line! I was also moved when he said, "I am nothing." when he was telling her who he really was in the grand scheme of things.

You know, this is another very "phantomish" story here too! The tragic, troubled, dark soul searching for his beloved while be hated and pursued by those who want to destroy him!

The "see me, see me now" line was very powerful because he wanted her to see him WHEN he wanted, rather than as he truly was in his dark world. In the end, she accepted who he was and that kiss she gave him, as he lay dying in his horrid, ugly fascade, was very moving.

did any of you see Love At First Bite with George Hamilton????

Yes, and I loved, loved it! His first meeting with her, "I can give you eternal liiife!" "Sh*t, I knew it. I've already got life insurance."

Yeah, D2K perplexes me. I thought I would love it because I love horror movies, I've always liked Wes Craven movies, I love New Orleans, and I love Gerry... But the movie was never able to come together. Gerry was fabulous, and I thought the Judas angle was really creative and thought-provoking, but the finished product was just blah. I really thought they over-sexualized the female vampires. I understand that's a typical aspect of the story, but I guess I just feel like they did it in a cheap way. Dracula gets to be sexy with an air of dignity, whereas the female vamps were just trashy drooling whores. A feminist critique of this movie might turn out to be quite intriguing. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on it. I still watch D2K on occasion to get my Gerry time, but it's one I watch more infrequently.

Steph

Well, I must have missed this one. I agree with the females in that movie. However, Draculas "concubines", I think you call them, were very sexual, especially when they got a hold of Jonathan Harker.

When you have a limited amount of time to tell a story, as you do in a movie, sometimes it better to use a narration behind it I think and that is what added to the telling of Dracula in GO's version. In Drac 2000, it was modernized and if someone didn't understand the premise or the story behind Dracula, they might not get it.

Delene

I mean in Dracula 2000, they made subtle references to the book, but they were very subtle and if you aren`t a big enthusiast of the novel like me, you may not pick it up. A few subtle references being: Van Helsing`s antiques shop was called Carfax, based off Carfax Abbey, Dracula`s only place of safety when he is in London. The doctor evaluating Solina was named Dr. Seward, one of Lucy Westenra`s three suitors on the novel. The wolf and the bats obviously as Dracula is a shape shifter. There was a Van Helsing, not Abraham like the character in the book, but Matthew in the movie. Things like that you know, I tend to notice.... b/c me I`m such a huge fan of the book, its one of my favorites. And some who have portrayed the character, its either been a home-run like Gerry or Gary Oldman, really capturing the essence of who Dracula is, and then there are others...who, miss it completely like Richard Roxborough in "Van Helsing" IMO.

I mean in Dracula 2000, they made subtle references to the book, but they were very subtle and if you aren`t a big enthusiast of the novel like me, you may not pick it up. A few subtle references being: Van Helsing`s antiques shop was called Carfax, based off Carfax Abbey, Dracula`s only place of safety when he is in London. The doctor evaluating Solina was named Dr. Seward, one of Lucy Westenra`s three suitors on the novel. The wolf and the bats obviously as Dracula is a shape shifter. There was a Van Helsing, not Abraham like the character in the book, but Matthew in the movie. Things like that you know, I tend to notice.... b/c me I`m such a huge fan of the book, its one of my favorites. And some who have portrayed the character, its either been a home-run like Gerry or Gary Oldman, really capturing the essence of who Dracula is, and then there are others...who, miss it completely like Richard Roxborough in "Van Helsing" IMO.

The Van Helsing in D2K actually was Abraham. He went by Matthew in modern times to disguise the fact that he'd been cheating death, and try to pass himself off as his own grandson. But, once that little bit comes out, they refer to him intermittently by both names. Like, in the scene when they're leaving the converted morgue and the kid (can't even remember the character's name) is like "Abraham, or Matthew, or whatever your name is!"

I haven't yet gotten around to reading the book, but I s'pose I should. I know my Mom has a copy. I'll throw it on top of my "To Read" pile. Eeek... The pile is now a tower; I'd better not stand under it too long lest it topple and bury me alive! ;)

Steph

Bram Stoker's Dracula was the first novel I ever bought as a kid, before that it had been library books or books my mother had bought - we had a paperback book club at school so that was always a special novel because it was my first independent purchase of a book but also because the book blew me away and started my own fascination with the Dracula and vampire legend. [i had also read my mother's copy of The Godfather even though it had been forbidden and that started my fascination with the Mafia and gangsters - hence why I love the Guy Ritchie films including RocknRolla but I digress.]

I heard an interview on the radio recently with a descendant of Bram Stoker who has just written a sequel, Dracula UnDead, supposedly based on Bram Stoker's own notes. Apparently came out in October. Not sure the critical reaction to it but apparently two studios were chasing after the movie rights.

Edited by lavender1960

I heard an interview on the radio recently with a descendant of Bram Stoker who has just written a sequel, Dracula UnDead, supposedly based on Bram Stoker's own notes. Apparently came out in October. Not sure the critical reaction to it but apparently two studios were chasing after the movie rights.

yes, Dacre Stoker, is the great-grand nephew of Bram Stoker and yes, he recently published a novel this last month. The book is called Dracula:The Un-Dead. I was actually looking forward to purchasing the book myself, I haven`t yet. It suppossed to be an entirely different "beast" than the original, even though Dacre Stoker uses his great grand uncle`s notes. The character of Dracula plays a much larger role in this version suppossedly and actually gets the opportunity to tell his side of the story which is not the case in the original novel.

I just went back and watched Gerry's scene at the cross on the rooftop. It is really a shame this scene was deleted, because he did such a great job w/ it.

ETA: I should have said shortened, not deleted.

Edited by Rendita

For me there is no contest as to who is the sexiest Dracula, heck, who is the sexiest man in this universe!! Our incredible Gerry!! Gerry's portrayal was so awesome and his head movements, ie: on the plane when he seems confused by the bullets and then when he sees the big screen with the partially nekkid girls and the screaming band, I love his look! But I think Gerry is awesome as Dracula and I still vote him #1!!

Joanna

Why 11? That's the only quesion I have and may be another: who was number 1 then?

Gerry was incredible as Dracula, he had that power and irresistible appeal and charm about him. :drool1:

I loved the final scenes where he tells his story. Gerry actually is the first actor who made me love villains, not sure if it's good or bad but I always felt for his characters as only he can show that shadow of humanity even in the most evil of souls. :wuv:

Something a bit different: the vampire that surprised me was Tom Cruise, I still don't know if I liked him as Lestat or not.

Edited by Matreshka

I remember that Anne Rice was not happy with Tom Cruise being chosen as Lestat, she was jonesing for Gary Oldman apparently however I could see that Gary would not want to repeat himself for one thing, especially since Interview was just right after Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Cruise would be a bigger box office draw, BY FAR. However I have to say and Anne Rice also conceded later that Cruise was pleasantly surprising in that role, though I had not read the book when I saw the movie, it is still on to-read pile. But I did read another book with Lestat, Memnoch the Devil, loved that book, wouldn't work cinematically, too cerebral, but now I am not sure who really could have do full justice to Lestat, not even sure, don't hate me, if Gerry would have been though he'd have been much closer. I see Lestat as possessing far more salacious charm than Cruise can ever portray.

Edited by lavender1960

Oh Yeah!!!

I can't remember who #1 was either and that's how un-forgetable he was to me in compaison to Gerry!! I agree with Matreshka as well. Gerry made me feel for the villain. If he had put his hand out to me that way, I would have run as fast as I could into his arms!! And I can't run!!!! LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!

The man is incredible! Absolutely everything about Gerry is entrancingly wonderful!! He has that ability to make you not only feel his characters, but BE the character. The man is the ultimate actor, bar none in my book!!

Oh and by the way, Welcome Matreshka to GALS. The most fun to be had on the computer. Awesome ladies here and very caring and kind!! I love it here.

Joanna

Oh I could never picture Gerry playing Lestat, the way Anne Rice describes the character, Lestat has almost a slightly feminine, foppish quality. He`s almost pretty but in a dark, twisted kind of way. Both actors that have played Lestat, Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend, respectively have much much smaller built men than Gerry.

Gerry is built so big, his frame and all, plus Gerry with the blond hair, no...mmm mmm no way.....I also feel that same way about Gary Oldman though, he wouldn`t have been right as Lestat either. His Dracula always leaves me at a loss for words, so larger than life a pressence.

Oh I could never picture Gerry playing Lestat, the way Anne Rice describes the character, Lestat has almost a slightly feminine, foppish quality. He`s almost pretty but in a dark, twisted kind of way. Both actors that have played Lestat, Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend, respectively have much much smaller built men than Gerry.

Gerry is built so big, his frame and all, plus Gerry with the blond hair, no...mmm mmm no way.....I also feel that same way about Gary Oldman though, he wouldn`t have been right as Lestat either. His Dracula always leaves me at a loss for words, so larger than life a pressence.

Wasn´t Lestat a 16th century French peasant wolf-killer when he was made undead? I always thought he was both a force of nature and a consumate sensualist. Armand was the dainty, romantic one. If the movie been made earlier I´d have cast Rutger Hauer.