Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry Interview In Norway

It sounded to me that she was aware that the playful, spontaneous man she had met before wasn't as playful or as spontaneous as he had been and she was trying to discover why. There is a kind of sadness in that, that it has become inconvenient to just be yourself as you once were, that care must be taken or people will invent tales and spin stories out of nothing, out of stray remarks or harmless flirtations.

jane

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the BEST interview! It was "real" Gerry, being himself as best he can under the

circumstances he is given. He has and does sacrifice a lot to be who he is, but at least

he has a very good perspective on the situation and seems to be handling it as well as

anyone can! He certainly stays down to earth, appreciates the good aspects of his

stardom, and shows us he is still the man who we fell in love with in the first place. I love

him even more-and I didn't think that was possible.

Judy

How do you people get these videos? I tired Internet Explorer and Firefox and I even downloaded the plug-in and nothing..... :tantrum: Is there a place you have to click on and since I don't know the language I also can't read the instructions.

Kathy

Kathy,

When you get the "silverlight" box, go down to about the middle where there's a phrase that's underlined...it contains the word "installe" which I guessed (correctly) was the download for Silverlight. After I installed it, the interview worked for me (you may have to hit refresh first).

Keep trying, it is DEFINITELY worth the trouble. It was great hearing such insight from Gerry and I hope that more "fans" will take to heart some of the things he said.

ETA: THANK YOU EM and Sue!!

It worked because it was a conversation between two adults, grown up flirting, as opposed to the somewhat deflective flirting Gerry does to misdirect intrusive questions. She asked probing questions, but posed them as hypothetical’s which allowed him to open up and reveal a bit more then he usually does.

You do need to download the Silverlight plug in, then when it’s loaded hit refresh/reload and everything should play just fine.

Absolutely the best interview ever!!! For me it struck a deep chord because I will never forget asking Gerry at WonderCon just before the release of "300" what he thought would be the best and worst aspects of suddenly achieiving international fame and recognition (which I expected would happen with that film). At the time he just joked that it would all be good, but I suspected strongly that he would find a downside to such fame. In this interview he finally addressed that in a very down-to-earth way and made me feel like I was sitting across the table from him, asking the same questions.

While I was a recent and reluctant convert to Twitter (which I still only check on very occasionally) I understand how things like iPhones and cameras and internet connections in cell phones make it so no matter where he is out in public or what he is doing it can and probably will be broadcast to the world. I understand that he doesn't want to exchange the career he loves for the anonymity he once had, but I do feel for him that he is finally expressing the price he pays for that fame.

Gerry seems to be more introspective and even more interesting in recent interviews. Maybe it is because of where he is right now in his life or maybe he is encountering a level of interviewer who is able to bring those things out in him.

HUGE thanks to EM and Irish for bringing this gem to our attention.

For those of you who have found this interview to be one of Gerry's best...I'm so glad. And for those of you who can't for some reason get it...like Bonnie and Lisa...I am so sorry...HOPEFULLY Mel or one of the mods will be able to work their magic and everyone will get to see this fantastic interview. I have a version of it that I can email to you guys if you want...but the quality is NOTHING like what you get when you go directly to the site unfortunatly....

This interview made me really sad. Nearly made me cry, in fact. Gerry just seemed so beaten down, so physically and emotionally drained. I've never seen him like that before. It was good to hear all of his thoughts, but all I could think about the whole time was taking him into my arms, rubbing his back, and telling him it'll all be okay!

Steph

I googled it and was able to watch it without downloading Silverlight.

Try this everyone. Paste Sue's (Irish) link in your Google search window and it will give you the link to the site. It worked for me.

It was the 2nd one down.

Cheryl

Edited by Paisleyscot

I googled it and was able to watch it without downloading Silverlight.

Try this everyone. Go to this link and click on the 2nd search down and it will take you to the site.

http://www.google.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%...amp;startPage=1

Cheryl

I love you, Cheryl!! :hug1:

If anyone is still having trouble watching this interview you might want to try what I did. When the box comes on in Norwegian obviously trying to get people to download some exotic program, look toward the bottom of that box and you'll see a sentence that contains the word "standard." I figured that meant, if you want to see the video in a standard (read, old-fashioned) format, click here. So I clicked on that line, and the video played just fine.

What hit me about this great interview was when he used the word "hurtful" when he was talking about all the junk and gossip stuff on the internet. He only said "hurtful" once, but I think that revealed that this nonsense really does get to him at times. That was sad. He doesn't deserve any of it. He's worked hard to get where he is today. It is horrible that the gossip people outright lie about things, and some people actually believe it and pass it on and on and on. I know it comes with the territory, but it still makes me angry when it involves Gerry. But, to fight it is like spitting into the wind.

I really enjoyed the interview.

I didn't find it sad really. It gave a lot of insight into what he thinks of the press.

The woman did keep most of the interview on that subject so Gerry was able to talk at length about it.

Yes he did say hurtful once but he also said he wouldn't change a thing. He loves his career too much to stop doing it.

He's a very smart man and has had to change the way he answers questions a bit, but he still speaks what's on his mind.

You notice he still played around and said he was already a father LOL! Then said the press will probably miss quote that!

All in all or, "at the end of the day" as Gerry would say, I think he loves the life he's made for himself.

Like he said, who would have thought a boy from a middle class family in Scotland would ever end up where he is now.

Cheryl

That was sweet. :wuv: I love how they started it with an interview from RNR between them (which I'd never seen). Gerry was so open with her; it was great to see that he genuinely has affection for her.

It was good to hear him address the tabloid stuff without being flip about it. :) I just wish they would all stop asking him about it. They didn't show her ask anything about LAC. Oh well - what could we hear that we haven't already heard?

I didn't hear anything about the jam or the father thing! :lol: Did I miss something? Do I really NOT pay attention THAT much?? I guess I have to watch it again.

Edited by phoenixgirl

Does everyone realize there are 2 versions of this interview? There is a 3:37 minute version and a 16:23 minute version. The RNR clip and the hug at the end are part of the short version only.

Edited by Rendita

I do now, Ren! :lol:

I just finished watching the longer version. Wow. I agree - definitely the best interview I've seen. He's so open and honest and funny and serious. I loved how he mentions that he understands what it's like for us fans, and there are many of us who do treat him like a regular person - maybe not the first time you meet him, but he really makes you feel so comfortable that you can't help it.

I'm kinda bummed the preserves thing isn't real. Ah, well ... I hope she interviews him over and over again. I can't wait until this is in the MM so I can save it. It's very much worth watching over and over again.

Thanks again, Cheryl!

Lisa