Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry Interview In Norway

FOOKIN FINALLY! I changed my browser to Safari and was able to view both videos!

I've really never heard him speak so frankly and seriously in an interview. I'll have lots to say about this later, for now, I'm just sort of overwhelmed by how much I care for this man.

Swannie

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how some obscure gossipy articles from India can make it viral on the web within a day or 2 of showing up on-line. But here we have a thoughtful interview, showing us the REAL Gerard. Not some peace of trash made up by P.H. or others like him...but an intelligent discourse. How come these videos aren't going viral through Twitter and the gossip sites?

Because people like the BS. They would rather think the worst of Gerry than know the real man.

Swannie

I had a problem because of the buffering so I think I might have missed a little of the longer one...I hope we manage to get it in MM....

Absolute best and so layed back interview that I think I've ever seen... I honestly think he was smitten with her...She was a natural beauty and I think once a long time ago he mentioned preferring someone like that! Too bad she's married cause I think he was dying to give her one of his famous Gerry hugs and snog!! :cunning: Loved it! Thank you Sue and EM! :kiss:

:wave: Frannie

No matter what I do I can't get this to play. I want to see it so

badly.

PLEASE someone with the know how put it on YouTube. I can always

get them there. I can never get anything out of MM because everything

is zipped and my computer won't unzip.

Please, put it in YouTube and provide an address.

Love him absolutely, and anyone who will do this for me also.

Sandy

Aside from it being one of the best, if not THE best interview he has been able to give, I think the whole thing was cathartic for him. I think it was necessary that he address these issues (it should not be necessary for him to have to defend himself or explain himself to anyone, but unfortunately it had come to that), and I think he was relaxed enough with this interviewer to be able to be so candid and forthright in his feelings and how all of this has affected him. You know all of this gossip and untruths have been taxing on him, as in the last few interviews he has given, whenever anyone brings up his personal life, you can almost see the blood drain from his face and his whole demeanor change.

Gerry is a seroius actor and producer and expects to go into interviews to be asked about his movies or his next project, especially when he's on a press junket for a particular movie. But instead, the US press is only interested in his private/personal life, and could care less about his career. That has to be frutstrating for him. You don't see so much of that across the pond, the European press seems to be more respectful of him than the US press is.

What I appreciated with this interview is the interviewer never pushed an issue, she just let him talk and say what he felt and wanted to say, and you could tell he was more relaxed with her than with most, and was able to give the best interview ever, candid, with depth, and extremely serious - not much joking around in this one.

All of us who love him and have followed him for so long and have gotten to "know" the man, who and what he is...fortunately don't believe all the garbage that is written about him, are able to separate the wheat from the chaffe, but still, it's hard on us to have to be subjected to all the gargage that we see on a daily basis. You can imagine how hard it is on him to constantly read out and out rubbish all the time, with 99% of it not being true.

Bravo to Gerry for using this platform/interview to set records straight. I only hope that a big chunk of the US population has the opportunity to see/hear this interview. It needs to be on YouTube and more widely accessible. I was not able to save it to my RP, I do have it saved to my desktop, but it can't stay there indefinitely. It would be so nice to have this one to keep, and if someone can convert it to a downloadable mode or get it to YouTube so it can be downloaded from there, I'm sure many of us, including me, would appreciate it. This is definitely one to keep.

Thanks,

PAR

That's the thing that blows me away. People believe it. Even some very loyal fans believe it. It must be very disturbing to have lies printed about you, and yet no matter how many times you deny those lies, people will believe the lie and not what comes out of your own mouth.

The downside of celebrity. Following Gerry has made me rethink EVERYTHING I hear about other celebs too.

Swannie

Very true Swansong. I thought I was already cynical and seen it all, I have been a fan of other artists who have suffered to a degree but they were also fortunate enough that they hit the zenith of their fame pre-internet and before the explosion of media and TV channels, all hungry for content. Once you are no longer the IT band or the IT actor the attention generally falls away unless you do something that catches their attention again and of course we have those people who continue to try to keep themselves in the media even if they make fools of themselves in the process. See Kardashians.

I will say and duck on my way out, because he has perhaps mistakenly been flirty and flip with question of women in the past, trying to be funny, trying to be himself, that to some extent he has helped cultivate the image of the ladies man so then the media defines you in a certain way and the reality is that helps you promote your movies or your records or ratings for your TV show. McDreamy and McSteamy are part of the reasons for the success of Grey's Anatomy. Sex and sex appeal sells. It's cliche but the advertising and entertainment industry know it very well. And the reality too is sometimes this kind of stuff is purposely put out there by the PR people of the actors and studios themselves, again something Hollywood has been doing since Day 1 but then you can create a monster you can't control.

I still remember when Simon Cowell said to Kris Allen the fellow that won American Idol this year that he should not have told everyone he was happily married because he will sell less records - I couldn't believe Simon's cheek in saying that on air. In the older days, artists were told to hide their wives and girlfriends. Tom Jones, Welsh ladies man, hide his marriage for as long as he could and kept his wife out of the public eye on advice of management. However what happens is now in the age of the internet and instant communication that image of a ladies man/heartthrob does and can spin out of control. I think some actors and musicians think it's great at the beginning but then all that attention is not so great and the focus does tend to move away from what is important, your work.

I think that Rob Pattison kid is having real trouble handling the barrage he is facing and he hasn't even proven himself as an actor yet, not in my view. And he really did nothing to encourage it. But the Twilight PR machine certainly has. He did not expect that Twilight was going to blow up like it did. At least someone like Gerry had time to prove his acting chops and has built his career gradually, learning how to deal with the media, though still learning and only now it has exploded.

I think it really shows that if you are a young actor starting your career you really do have think carefully about what kind of image you want to project because once you get boxed into a certain label, it is awfully hard to shake though the reality is there may be nothing you can do, like Rob Pattison, but that which you can control one can only try. And you also may be able to change perceptions over time as well not that is easy.

And I think from that interview it was clear Gerry now feels he has to be more careful than ever what he says in interviews all the time now, reluctantly, sadly. And of course the interviewer is saying Don't change, please. I agree, it would be nice if this interview was all over YouTube for a change, I suspect a Norwegian site won't be too concerned about copyright issues or might in fact be pleased at the interest. Maybe shoot a copy over to Just Jared not that the snarkers will change.

Edited by lavender1960

That's the thing that blows me away. People believe it. Even some very loyal fans believe it. It must be very disturbing to have lies printed about you, and yet no matter how many times you deny those lies, people will believe the lie and not what comes out of your own mouth.

The downside of celebrity. Following Gerry has made me rethink EVERYTHING I hear about other celebs too.

Swannie

And that's where I see the sadness in this interview, or better said, the resignation. He loves acting and if this is the price you have to pay to do what you love, what you were meant to do, then so be it. But I think Gerry believed that if you dealt honestly with people, with the press, then they would deal honestly with you. Not sugar-coat things or give you a pass when you actually screwed up or misbehaved but that at least they'd be fair about it. He's learned that isn't the way it works.

No matter how honest you are there are those who will continue to lie and use you for the sport of it. Gossip mongers, 'haters' on blogs, people who choose to look for things to take offense at, they love to ridicule and harass celebrities and it doesn't matter if you're a nice guy who works hard or a real jerk, the lies still come. And the worst part, Swannie, is that then people who read this steady flow of trash form opinions about you, your life, your character, and choose to believe the liers and skanks who perpetrate the garbage. And there's no way to stop it. The cowards keep spewing it out and a large part of 'the public' buys it all.

I have never understood why people believe anything Perez or Ted say whether it's about Gerry or anybody else. But they do even when there is proof something never happened or was totally different than they report it. And it IS a sad commentary on human nature.

jane

I think the more legitimate mainstream media is not the ones twisting all the gossip around, they usually try to follow the rules of Journalism 101.

So in the long run being honest and frank has been actually good for GB because I think it goes without saying that he is one of their favourite people to interview. Add the fact he is articulate and passionate about his craft which you can't say about all actors, ehem, and that is good for his long term career. Many actors behave like any interview is like having a root canal or beyond them. Though again he has noted his own words have come back to haunt him because either the interviewer didn't appreciate his sarcasm [let's face it not all so called journalists are quick witted] or as he has said sarcasm often doesn work in print and the other reality is some journalists go into an interview with a pre-formed image of someone and edit their interview to match their pre-formed opinion. Even so called legitimate mainstream journalists. I always love it when a journalist admits to it and that they were charmed and won over. He shoots he scores.

But gossip and journalists with agendas and misquotes have always been and will always be a part of the business since it began. Look at the power of Walter Winchell in 1940's Hollywood who ruled the radio and entertainment print media. He could make and break careers. The question is how do you handle it all in the best possible way. Not an easy answer because you need the media to promote your work. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edited by lavender1960

In the past there was no internet. And you could ultimately bring Winchell and Parsons and Hopper down or reveal their biases. Now, even a totally discredited story still circulates on the internet idefinitely. In his obituary it will still list all the women he was 'linked' to and, whether fact or fiction, it will stick forever. It is frustrating.

They'll probably even mention how he carried mum's jam with him wherever he went. :D

jane

I just want to add that big gal Dorthe ( 6 feet, 47 years old )
is VERRA happily married with two grown daughters and they will soon be grandparents!

Posted Image
Clickable

Hugs from me :wuv:

PS: Loved that you are using that siggy, Delene!

Edited by NordicGirl

Funny how some obscure gossipy articles from India can make it viral on the web within a day or 2 of showing up on-line. But here we have a thoughtful interview, showing us the REAL Gerard. Not some peace of trash made up by P.H. or others like him...but an intelligent discourse. How come these videos aren't going viral through Twitter and the gossip sites?

Because people like the BS. They would rather think the worst of Gerry than know the real man.

Swannie

Wow, it never occured to me but you are so right.

Theresa

The last and most recent egregious item about Gerry did indeed come from the British tabloid the Daily Mirror and it went viral in an instant and was everywhere for the next 48 hours. It did get debunked and denied by Gerry’s reps in GossipCop, that same day, but it took a couple of days for that denial to gain traction, and I still see that item floating around the sites. So it’s not just the US that’s manufacturing and interested in this stuff. It’s a global market fed by the internet.

The big difference between Walter Winchell, Hedda Hooper and Louella Parsons is, unlike today, they actually worked the phones and verified information in a timely manner. If they got any dirt at all it was a real and confirmed. They didn’t make things up. None of this phony paying for fabricated info stuff that The Star and National Enquire have been caught doing. Winchell was capable of blackmail and you can bet he had the goods. It was never small time stuff, like Gerry greeting a female acquaintance at a party that gets blown up into an epic one night stand by the likes of the Daily Mirror or Page Six.

Gerry is clearly very happy with his career and success, he’s worked hard to get where he is. But I also sensed a lot of frustration and concern from him about the impact of this stuff. Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson were no less flirtatious then Gerry, but that never stopped ether actor from being taken seriously, they didn’t have the 24 hour media monster to contend with that Gerry and other actors today have to deal with. And even a good solid interview with Gerry published by reputable newspapers will include the inevitable linked to items of female celebrities that Gerry never dated.

I find it all very discouraging and frustrating. I hate to see Gerry so misunderstood. His behavior is no different then that of any other successful, good looking, single man. Why this is worthy of a bunch of adolescent sniggering by the gossip industry is beyond me.

Edited by Rubee815

I find it all very discouraging and frustrating. I hate to see Gerry so misunderstood. His behavior is no different then that of any other successful, good looking, single man. Why this is worthy of a bunch of adolescent sniggering by the gossip industry is beyond me.

I think Gerry hit the nail on the head (and I've said it as well) ... when someone's star is on the rise these piranhas (another great word usage, G) immediately think about ways to take them down. I have never understood the desire and pleasure gained from that sort of thing. But I suppose that as long as there are those people who will read and provide hits to their sites, PH and the like will continue doing what they do.

I do have to say, though, that through this fandom I have learned a LOT about how the gossip crap world works and that even when it comes to other celebrities I have learned to not believe a thing I see on the covers of magazines. What's sad is that young girls DO believe what is written about RPatz, Lautner, etc. I'm lucky to be in a position to try to teach them not to listen.

. The big difference between Walter Winchell, Hedda Hooper and Louella Parsons is, unlike today, they actually worked the phones and verified information in a timely manner. If they got any dirt at all it was a real and confirmed. They didn’t make things up. None of this phony paying for fabricated info stuff that The Star and National Enquire have been caught doing. Winchell was capable of blackmail and you can bet he had the goods. It was never small time stuff, like Gerry greeting a female acquaintance at a party that gets blown up into an epic one night stand by the likes of the Daily Mirror or Page Six. . . .

Thanks for bringing that up. I thought of it after I answered last. They were dispicable, cowards and bullies, working out their own thwarted ambitions, but they generally used the hiden truth, in a slimey way, against their targets. They didn't just invent things out of whole cloth.

You see celebs in the UK sue the tabloids now and then (Kate Winslet just won a decision) because the libel laws are different. Over here 'free speech' protects truth-tellers and liars. Once you attach the ubiquitous 'a source said', they're immune. And the internet has proven itself almost impossible to govern. Constant monitoring and reposting the correct version over and over is the only, inadequate, remedy.

There was a purported interview with Gerry that was proven to be pure fabrication that periodically is resurrected as 'truth' on internet sites. After a few ''whoas" and "ahs" and "I didn't know thats" by the unwary somebody usually comes on to reiterate that it's all lies and it dies down again. But its been years and it still pops up now and then. You can't get rid of it.

I applaud you Lisa, but it's an uphill climb. When even mature adults take it in like it's gospel, we can understand why kids might think everything they see in print is true as well. Good luck!

jane

Edited by Jeb

Well even the interviewer admitted she read the trashy tabloids but didn't take it too seriously. Just buying the taboid feeds into the machine. We all probably feed the machine in one way or the other. I mean Gerry said it himself he will read goss on other celebs and think oh my.

I believe that gossip is a part of human nature and in certain societies at a certain level it played a part in the social structure. For example in a very religious community, even the hint or suspicion of adulterous behaviour could ruin someone and that would keep everyone else in line. Reference the Scarlet Letter. The problem is what was whispered over the fence [though could have been just as damaging in those contexts] is indeed now blasted over the globe in seconds.

It is not just the internet it has been the cult of celebrity because we don't seem to have or value real heroes anymore. Maybe Andy Warhol should have never spoken those words about everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. And frankly I don't think Warhol was that brilliant an artist, a promoter yes not an artist and that's a whole other tangent. Now the problem is you have people famous for being famous without any skill or talent attached except attention whoring. Reality TV is cheap to make so the networks continue to churn it out so now you have reality "star" standing next to someone like GB at a premiere. That just diminishes the people who deserve to be celebrated.

So if no one bought the magazines or visited the gossip sites or demanded higher standards from journalists maybe we the people could force change. The reality is even once legitimate respected mainstream media has lowered their standards for two main reasons - more competition so they have to get the stories out sooner if they want the scoop which means not fact checking or sourcing properly and money, almost all news outlets have laid off staff and are barely surviving so they don't have fact checkers or enough editors. And other outlets don't care so long as they don't cross the legal line and some even cross that line because they know some celebs cannot sue EVERYONE.

Look at the various scandals over the past decade at the NY Times including the guy who was writing fake stories and didn't get caught for almost a year or two. Okay time to get off my high horse.

Edited by lavender1960

Just a note about the powerful gossip columnists from back in the day - that is the only good thing with the decentralization of the media, no one really has that kind of power anymore.

I have some issue with whether everything they printed was true per se. I would guess that all of those columnists were publishing items in cahoots with the publicists of certain studios and actors to make their clients look better than they actually were - like Joan Crawford, isn't she just the most wonderful mother and reporting on Rock Hudson and his various lovely actress dates when they all knew he was gay. And that really has not changed, that still goes on. I find fake puff pieces almost as offensive as the untrue negative items.

Just a note about the powerful gossip columnists from back in the day - that is the only good thing with the decentralization of the media, no one really has that kind of power anymore.

I have some issue with whether everything they printed was true per se. I would guess that all of those columnists were publishing items in cahoots with the publicists of certain studios and actors to make their clients look better than they actually were - like Joan Crawford, isn't she just the most wonderful mother and reporting on Rock Hudson and his various lovely actress dates when they all knew he was gay. And that really has not changed, that still goes on. I find fake puff pieces almost as offensive as the untrue negative items.

I watched an episode of I Love Lucy not too long ago when the "tabloids" of the time printed an article about Ricky and his new dancer. He explained to Lucy how it was all publicity to get more people into the club.

I have a feeling that's how it was back then, and it's evolved into this ugly thing.

EM, you were here...thank you again for sending me this incredible interview. She is a lovely, classy lady...that certainly came through in the interview and I think Gerry really felt that as well, which is why he opened up so much in this interview. Posted Image

hugs,

Sue

Posted Image

Just study the life of Princess Diana. She blatantly used the media to her own advantage once she realized what power she had to vent out against the Palace and Charles and Camilla but she was playing a very dangerous game.

Agreed that interviewer is super, we need to clone her and send them to North America, we have a a few good interviewers but we need more. I bet most of her interviews are just as thoughtful. I shouldn't stereotype but all the Scandanavian people I have met, besides being attractive, it's a good gene pool, are pragmatic, logical, down to earth. They don't understand a lot of what goes on in North America.

Edited by lavender1960

I have to say that as a fan, it bothers me when people continually misjudge Gerry's true character, based on what is printed about him on gossip sites or sites like IMDb. You see it consistently on Twitter. People who are just recently discovering him and who know very little about him, will re tweet an article from PH, and then comment that Gerry is a douche bag.

Fans have a broader view of Gerry than what the tabloids are touting, so when certain things are printed, we just roll our eyes, knowing that the whole truth about a situation is not being told. But other consumers just lap it up.

I read a Tweet once, where a young woman commented about Gerry's acting in POTO. She Tweeted that she was amazed at how good an actor he was, because she only knew about him as a sleeze from TMZ.

I have to say, if that's the only image I saw of him, I would not be a fan.

I think we are fortunate that we do have a more balanced view of this man. Sure, we know about his bad boy reputation, but we also have a backlog of facts that do not support most of the bad behavior reported by the media. We know about how Gerry treats his fans. We know about his charity involvement. We know about his work ethic, his long term friendships, and about how he is respected in the industry by his peers and co-workers. Sadly, the average person out there does not have that information, and they believe what they read.

I do why wonder why Gerry's team has not made more of an effort to correct his public image.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

How do you correct IMDB? Or Twitter? Or TMZ? His PR people put out positive interviews and feature stories and refute factually what they can but you always run the risk of 'protesting too much'. And the people who lap up the gossip aren't going to believe anything put out by his PR people anyway. It's insidious. But if he can learn to live with it, and ignore it for the most part, then we should be able to do it, too. Over time, people who matter will know who he is and the fools will continue to believe the garbage as they do about Tom Cruise or John Travolta or Jennifer Aniston or any of the other people we 'think' we know all about and don't.

jane

Edited by Jeb
I wonder if part of the reason they don't say anything is because if they did that would be giving it credence in some way. Perhaps it's a case of like any bully - just ignore him and he'll eventually stop; the more attention you give it the more you fuel the fire. That's been my guess throughout the year that this has been happening.

Here's a great interview that EM sent me of Gerry in Norway....

http://www.tv2underholdning.no/gkn/her-er-...er-2995353.html

Mel, is there anyway to download this to GALS???...it's a great interview and the buffering :tantrum:

Can anyone tell if there is somewhere on this site a link to contact them to (a) congratulate this lady for what is probably the best Gerard Butler interview ever and (b) to ask them to put it on YouTube so that lots and lots of people can see her great work? She has other stuff on YouTube already.

Theresa

Edited by terezoulini