Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Sapphyre

Happy Veterans Day!

I'm not quite sure where to begin as I sat up for awhile thinking about this. It's not easy to write as it may be easy to toss around ideas in my head.

First of all Happy Veterans Day to all the Vets out there & a HUGE thank you.

I do know of one Veteran on here; Bellawolfe.

I got to know Bellawolfe (or Bella) through doing the GerryUSA tour. I was completely lost & clueless but we PM'ed each other back & forth over & over until I got the idea of it all. I quickly signed up. Of course being the curious GALS that I am I would peek into other topics. I saw one Bella was working on for care packages for our troops. At the time I found it I was unemployed & wanting to participate very much. The moment I PM'ed Bella asking if there was another option, a solider popped up on her end that didn't mind having a pen pal.

Not long after Bella & I exchanged numbers & we'd talk & talk until both our phones died or we were both too tired. Heck we'd play online games together while on the phone & if our phones were dying we'd let them charge & play our games.

One evening Bella sent me this video she was working on for Vegas Con. She wanted me to take a peek at it & tell her what I thought (or something along that line). I sat there in silence as Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" played with all these photos & a few words. As it continued on, tears were streaming down my face. When it was over we were both quiet & she asked what I thought. I managed to get out something along the lines of "Thank you. Thank you for all you have done. Thank you for serving our country & keeping people like me safe & sound each night when I go to bed."

When I told my dad about Bella & GerryUSA and other GALS stuff (it took dad quite awhile to process what exactly GALS was & why I loved it so much), he was emailing me back & forth asking me questions about Bella. My dad is a Vet & served in the USN like Bella did. Bells however served 20 years & well dad did his four years & that was the end. I actually talked to my dad last night about one form I learned & how it would help him in the "far off future". I was finally able to grasp something & explain it to him. Dad told me he was in the USN for four years during war-time in the Vietnam era but never went overseas. He was thrilled when I met Bella & was asking me to ask her questions that made no sense to me whatsoever. They have their own USN/military language and to me it was "huh?"

Fast forward many months later after Bella & I initially met on here & our emails & phone calls. Bella retired from the USN in July. I was SO HAPPY for her!

Now it's November 11th & well I work for Bella, my dad & many people like them. Whether active or retired, discharged due to service connection issues or they left us in the line of combat.

Normally a day like today is just another day. I had a contract Federal Gov't job so when this day came around, it was a day to sleep in & chill all day.

Now just about all my co-workers, the coaches, and the big head honcho in the office are all Vets. I'm learning a LOT of medical, legal, & military jargon & a TON of acronyms. Thankful they don't expect us to really have a clue as to what we're doing for two years. There are people who've been there for 6 months who when you listen to them as you walk by you're like "wow". They still ask questions. My mentor who will be coming up on two years still asks questions.

I am an employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

I have a photo up in my small cubicle of my dad when he was 22 years old in his uniform. I've had loads of people come by & ask who that was. Of course I have a pic of Gerry up there but when asked who my hero is, I'll smile & say "my daddy".

*Ahem* Still waiting on Bells to send me her picture in uniform so I can add it to my cubicle of those I know & look up to & admire for what they have done for our country & our freedom.

Nope not politics here, just loads of thanks.

So if you are a Veteran, you know someone who is, are related to one, take them out to Applebees tonight if you have one. Today Applebees is honoring Veterans. On Monday the 16th, The Golden Corral, all Veterans are honored with a free thank you dinner.

My hats off to Bella & millions of others like her on this day. I can lay my head down peacefully & knowing I'm a free person to do & think as I please.

I love you loads Bellawolfe.

I am very proud of my military heritage and the tradition continues. My husband, my father and my uncle all retired from the Air Force and later died from Service connected problems. All three were proud to give their lives to this county. (Gene served in Vietnam, and both dad and Uncle Henry served in WW2 and Korea). My sons, Ken and David both had careers in the Air Force, and my grandaughter and grandson both served in the Gulf, Erich as a Marine helicopter pilot and Gretchen flew on Air Force C130s. Even my grandfather served in the Calvary during World War One. Cut me and I bleed red, white and blue!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Suzie

Happy Veterans' Day to all our men and women, past and present, who have served our great country!

Yes, Bella, and our own RandomLanda, Yolanda Beatty, too. ;) If there are others here, I hope you'll let us know!

I miss my dad (WWII veteran) more today than on his birthday last month. He was so proud of his military service, and rightly so! LOVE YOU, POP!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICE. FREEDOM ISN'T FREE. And special remembrances to those who died last week at Ft. Hood, TX. God bless!

Katie

My older brother's dad was killed in Vietnam. He stepped on a land mine. When I went to Washington a few years ago I etched his name on two pieces of paper and gave one to my mom and one to my brother. For those of you who have never been to the Vietnam Wall I cannot begin to describe to you how emotional of a place it is. This was followed by the Korean Memorial then a trip to Arlington Cemetary. That was a really hard day for me to put it mildly.

My dad is a retired Senior Master Sergeant of the Air Force. I didn't really know him growing up and I don't know him now. But one thing I do know is he served his country and he was proud of what he did.

I appreciate ALL military be it retired or active. Thank you for protecting me and my family. With the way the world is now is one day really enough to honor such brave men and women. I think not.

Cassie

I'm not quite sure where to begin as I sat up for awhile thinking about this. It's not easy to write as it may be easy to toss around ideas in my head.

First of all Happy Veterans Day to all the Vets out there & a HUGE thank you.

I do know of one Veteran on here; Bellawolfe.

I got to know Bellawolfe (or Bella) through doing the GerryUSA tour. I was completely lost & clueless but we PM'ed each other back & forth over & over until I got the idea of it all. I quickly signed up. Of course being the curious GALS that I am I would peek into other topics. I saw one Bella was working on for care packages for our troops. At the time I found it I was unemployed & wanting to participate very much. The moment I PM'ed Bella asking if there was another option, a solider popped up on her end that didn't mind having a pen pal.

Not long after Bella & I exchanged numbers & we'd talk & talk until both our phones died or we were both too tired. Heck we'd play online games together while on the phone & if our phones were dying we'd let them charge & play our games.

One evening Bella sent me this video she was working on for Vegas Con. She wanted me to take a peek at it & tell her what I thought (or something along that line). I sat there in silence as Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" played with all these photos & a few words. As it continued on, tears were streaming down my face. When it was over we were both quiet & she asked what I thought. I managed to get out something along the lines of "Thank you. Thank you for all you have done. Thank you for serving our country & keeping people like me safe & sound each night when I go to bed."

When I told my dad about Bella & GerryUSA and other GALS stuff (it took dad quite awhile to process what exactly GALS was & why I loved it so much), he was emailing me back & forth asking me questions about Bella. My dad is a Vet & served in the USN like Bella did. Bells however served 20 years & well dad did his four years & that was the end. I actually talked to my dad last night about one form I learned & how it would help him in the "far off future". I was finally able to grasp something & explain it to him. Dad told me he was in the USN for four years during war-time in the Vietnam era but never went overseas. He was thrilled when I met Bella & was asking me to ask her questions that made no sense to me whatsoever. They have their own USN/military language and to me it was "huh?"

Fast forward many months later after Bella & I initially met on here & our emails & phone calls. Bella retired from the USN in July. I was SO HAPPY for her!

Now it's November 11th & well I work for Bella, my dad & many people like them. Whether active or retired, discharged due to service connection issues or they left us in the line of combat.

Normally a day like today is just another day. I had a contract Federal Gov't job so when this day came around, it was a day to sleep in & chill all day.

Now just about all my co-workers, the coaches, and the big head honcho in the office are all Vets. I'm learning a LOT of medical, legal, & military jargon & a TON of acronyms. Thankful they don't expect us to really have a clue as to what we're doing for two years. There are people who've been there for 6 months who when you listen to them as you walk by you're like "wow". They still ask questions. My mentor who will be coming up on two years still asks questions.

I am an employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

I have a photo up in my small cubicle of my dad when he was 22 years old in his uniform. I've had loads of people come by & ask who that was. Of course I have a pic of Gerry up there but when asked who my hero is, I'll smile & say "my daddy".

*Ahem* Still waiting on Bells to send me her picture in uniform so I can add it to my cubicle of those I know & look up to & admire for what they have done for our country & our freedom.

Nope not politics here, just loads of thanks.

So if you are a Veteran, you know someone who is, are related to one, take them out to Applebees tonight if you have one. Today Applebees is honoring Veterans. On Monday the 16th, The Golden Corral, all Veterans are honored with a free thank you dinner.

My hats off to Bella & millions of others like her on this day. I can lay my head down peacefully & knowing I'm a free person to do & think as I please.

I love you loads Bellawolfe.

Anne, you beat me to it because I was just coming to start a thread

What you said was really heartfelt and sweet :) thanks for taking the time to do so.

I also wanted to wish Bella and any member on this board or their respective family members who are Veterans past and present.

Their service is and has always been selfless and courageous. I just wanted to add a little prayer for the soldiers who died and were injured in that horrific incident in Texas. My heart goes out to them xoxo

My Godfather served in Vietnam and was awarded the Purple Heart and I'm thinking of him most of all today.

I also heard about that Applebee's promo on the radio and think it's a nice gesture if anything and I hope you Veterans go out and enjoy your day and I pray for the quick and safe return of all of members of the Armed Forces :wuv:

Anne I'm glad your settling well in your new job and learning new things :kiss:

God bless all our brave service men and women!

Thank you for your continued fight for our freedom!

Posted Image

Just want to add my thought and prayers for those courageous souls who are currently fighting and those who have fought for the freedom we enjoy today.

God Bless You All!

Amanda

Edited by MissAmanda

Posted Image My prayers continue to go out to our Brave men and women who are fighting for our freedom.

Posted Image Peggy

Edited by chachababy

Remembrance Day - 11th of the 11th at 11am Australia has a minutes silence to remember those who served for our country. LEST WE FORGET.

One my Nanna's brothers served in WWII but never returned and my Poppa Charlie was a prison guard in Corowa which held Japanese prisoners. One of the prisoners craved wooden jewellery boxes for him and he gave one to my mum and it was passed onto me when she passed away when I was a little girl. The work craved in this box is truely amazing.

Sally