Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
lavender1960

Gerard Butler Hangs Baby Outside Window À La Michael Jackson

Don't you wonder how the whole thing came about? I mean, did he look down at the razzi camped out below his balcony with their zoom lenses pointing up at his window? Did he see them just waiting and hoping to catch him in his hotel room with a scantily clad young woman....and then he thought to himself, "How can I get these ****ers to leave me alone?" So he sees this potted plant sitting off to the side (hey, it looks dried out, how come nobody watered the poor thing?)...and then he sees the towel and a light bulb switches on. Next thing ya know, he's standing at the balcony with that goofy grin on his face, "Lets give them something to talk about."

Poor Gerry. He just can't help that a 15 year old boy is still alive and well in that, ahem...40 year old bod.

Swannie

I was thinking since hotels don't usually have live plants in the rooms, perhaps this is from his own "flat", that he seldoms occupies. That would explain the condition of the poor plant! Gerry then further rubs his neglect in the faces of the razzis below! Just my take.

Delene

Who cares what the press writes about Gerry? I don't. It was a funny thing to do and that's all there is to it. If anyone wants to make a big deal out of it, who cares! It is a free country. I get so tired of people picking apart everything Gerry does. He is human and loves to fool around. He has been working hard and this was his way of having fun. He deserves it!!

Kathy

I realize some will be offended, but many won’t. Here’s the thing it doesn’t matter what Gerry says or does in this overheated media environment we are now living in. He could say nothing, do nothing and still attract attention. And that is often the case.

Gerry is not the only person who made jokes about Jackson, MJ jokes were a staple of late night comedians before Jacksons death and Gerry is certainly not the only one who made jokes on that subject. And I’m willing to bet he was genuinely upset to hear about his death too. There were also many of us that questioned what seemed to be inappropriate media coverage in the aftermath of Jackson’s death, the same media that excoriated Jackson was rushing to make him an airbrushed saint. Jackson was indeed a wonderful musician but he was also a tragic figure. And exploited by many around him. Jackson’s tragedy is not Gerry’s fault.

Gerry’s gag is more at the expense of the paps hanging around and poking fun at himself then it is a dig at Jackson. And yes jokes are beginning to emerge again about Jackson but also about ourselves and our own tendency to go overboard when ever a destructive celebrity dies. Let me put it this way Michael Jackson's death was very sad but it was no 9/11.

This will have a short shelf life and no doubt Gerry will be fending off rumors about another starlet he hardly knows.

Edited by Rubee815

I grew up on The Jacksons music and TV shows, and still consider myself a big MJ fan. I think what Gerry did was a goof with no malice whatsoever. I think Michael has (sadly) been gone long enough for this to have been done in good taste.

What does upset me about the loss of MJ is the capitalization on his death. THAT is offensive, not this silly little joke played by someone who, like Rubee said, probably admired him as much as the rest of us. MJ chose a life that most people found odd and when you do that you leave yourself open to be the brunt of late night jokes. Since his death I'm pretty sure there haven't been any, or very few.

I say good for Gerry for not being afraid to show his silly side and poke fun at a ridiculous moment in pop culture. Let the shock be directed at the right event. It was a plant, for goodness sake. I still say this is one of the funniest things I've seen Gerry do.

I realize some will be offended, but many won’t. Here’s the thing it doesn’t matter what Gerry says or does in this overheated media environment we are now living in. He could say nothing, do nothing and still attract attention. And that is often the case.

Gerry is not the only person who made jokes about Jackson, MJ jokes were a staple of late night comedians before Jacksons death and Gerry is certainly not the only one who made jokes on that subject. And I’m willing to bet he was genuinely upset to hear about his death too. There were also many of us that questioned what seemed to be inappropriate media coverage in the aftermath of Jackson’s death, the same media that excoriated Jackson was rushing to make him an airbrushed saint. Jackson was indeed a wonderful musician but he was also a tragic figure. And exploited by many around him. Jackson’s tragedy is not Gerry’s fault.

Gerry’s gag is more at the expense of the paps hanging around and poking fun at himself then it is a dig at Jackson. And yes jokes are beginning to emerge again about Jackson but also about ourselves and our own tendency to go overboard when ever a destructive celebrity dies. Let me put it this way Michael Jackson's death was very sad but it was no 9/11.

This will have a short shelf life and no doubt Gerry will be fending off rumors about another starlet he hardly knows.

Well said...

Gerard Butler Hangs Baby Outside Window À La Michael Jackson

Read more: http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/11/18/ge.../#ixzz0XF4vwZS2

Crazy boy.

Thanks for the post. I really didn't expect him to have that expression on his face. Couldn't help myself, it was funny. He just likes to cutup. He's 40 and he knows what he wants to do. So far he's been choosing things that he likes and more power to him.

Of course TMZ had this on tonight and they thought it was hilarous. I think most will find it cheeky fun humor. Not a big deal.

Gerry is so completely ADORKABLE!!!!!

When Gerry was on Jonathan Ross, he was presented with a King Leo teddy bear. What do you want to bet the "potted plant" is Gerry's bear? Look at the top of the "plant".

I think Gerry was just putting on the press and he was totally adorable and funny! I doubt he meant anything serious about it.

Suzie

:spit:

I do love a man with a sense of humour!!

When I read the thread topic, I thought "Oh gawd", but as soon as I saw the pic, I couldn't help myself...I giggled! :lol:

You know he's just very over tired and he gets playful... :kisswink: Ask me how I know.....I wish I did!! :p

Someone said it...he's a 14 year old in a mans body sometimes.

:cunning: Frannie

Suzie....I think you are right...that could be the Teddy bear!

Edited by ladyfran

If you joked about MJ before he died, I don't see the difference joking about him after he has died.

Well I am now and always will be a huge Michael Jackson fan and have never said anything negative about him b/c jabbing fun at him like everyone else just feeds into the media frenzy, and I for one refuse to be a part of that. I refuse to fuel such cynicism.

A death to which he was partly responsible for, IMO. Murray may have been incompetent but I suspect Michael was having problems finding good doctors willing to do his bidding. Sometimes money doesn't buy you everything.

as for this statement.....I am not even going to get into this.....because quite frankly I know a great deal about medicine and physician etiquette and it would taken me forever to fully comprehend my feelings.

Michael Jackon is no longer alive and I am appalled that he still continues to be ridiculed and mocked....let the King of Pop rest in peace already.

I AM livid!!! This is in no way funny at all.I am very disappointed in Gerard.There is no rational justification for this!!! Dead or Alive how could anyone say this was funny?We are all entitled to our opinions but in the subsequent aftermath,I see now that Michael was clearly not in his right frame of mind when he did that due to substance abuse! Gerard could have found another way to cause a stir.He stood up in that audience at the VMAS and applauded Janet and then did this! Would he reenact Kurt Cobain's,Heath Ledger's,David Carradine's,DJ AM's tragic endings for a laugh?I think not.If he put on some skis and hit a tree like Natasha Richardson,Sonny Bono or Michael Kennedy would we fall off our collective seats laughing? Maybe he should just fall off the stage at an event a la Steven Tyler for our amusement? He needs to take some serious time off....

Tanya, like you said, we're all entitled to our opinions, including you, but I would like to address one small issue.

Gerry DID NOT REENACT Michael's untimely death. He simply reenacted something Michael did a long time ago. He was in no way making fun of Michael; I think he was more making fun of himself and the paparazzi.

You are entitled to be upset, but be upset about the right thing.

Edited by phoenixgirl

I for one thought it was hilarious. I mean, how random? :lol: I had completely forgotten about that whole incident until that. And I certainly don't think Gerry meant it to be in any way disrespectful. He was just being a silly boy, doing what he always does. He has an audacious idea, and he just goes ahead and does it. And isn't that one of the many reasons that we love him, afterall?

Silly boy. :wuv:

Steph

What would be the right thing to be upset about? The fact that it was juvenile?He is also going to leave a legacy one day.He has done a lot of negative things that have been recorded for all posterity..If he met an untimely demise and someone reenacted one of his antics that didn't shed him in a favorable light would it still be hilarious? Why didn't he do something else random? Throw up a gang sign perhaps.Flip the razzi's the bird? Say something raunchy? Hold up Lolita? Flash the goods with his kilt on? I'm sorry but this is inexcuseable to me.I'm upset alright about a number of things.I'm not feeling this.

Tanya, if you feel that passionately about this, maybe it would be a good thing for you to take a break from the board and Gerry fandom. I get that way sometimes when the knucklehead does something I don't approve of, and it helps me gain perspective.

I have no idea why Gerry pulled this stunt. If he did it deliberately as a premeditated way to get publicity, then I would probably be pissed off as hell at him, but I still think it was a spontaneous action, perhaps brought on by his being too tired. I don't know, and we may never know how the whole incident came about.

I do know that Gerry rarely does things in a mean spirited way, but again, unless he addresses this situation publicly through an interview or something, we fans just have to decide if we'll keep supporting this guy when he does crazy sh*t, or of it's time for us to move on.

I know by your own words how you have felt affection and respect for him, and I am sorry that you are disappointed in him now. *hugs*

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Swannie,sweetie I know you mean well,but I'm very level headed.I'm not one given to histrionics.I feel how I feel.Period.Maybe perhaps we all need a break...Perusing this board is not my only interest nor is Gerard.My affinity for him won't change.I own my actions,thoughts etc.If my take on this incident has perturbed others, that's sad,I can't change that, nor do I wish to.I will continue to post etc.I know how to reign in my emotions very well.For the record though,I've been around him.Yes he is spontaneous and high spirited...I just feel this was in poor taste.I don't condone it.A myriad of feelings flooded me as soon as I saw it and they were not good.My" fandom" is intact.No one has license to censure what I feel,I take great umbrage at that...

Swannie,sweetie I know you mean well,but I'm very level headed.I'm not one given to histrionics.I feel how I feel.Period.Maybe perhaps we all need a break...Perusing this board is not my only interest nor is Gerard.My affinity for him won't change.I own my actions,thoughts etc.If my take on this incident has perturbed others, that's sad,I can't change that, nor do I wish to.I will continue to post etc.I know how to reign in my emotions very well.For the record though,I've been around him.Yes he is spontaneous and high spirited...I just feel this was in poor taste.I don't condone it.A myriad of feelings flooded me as soon as I saw it and they were not good.My" fandom" is intact.No one has license to censure what I feel,I take great umbrage at that...

I think you make a good point about the poor taste. These last 3 or 4 days have not been his forte, sorry MHO.

We have a saying in Greece: the one who loves me makes me cry, the one who doesn't makes me laugh. When you care about someone the way we care for Gerry, it is important to be honest and criticise when criticism is due. Saying how cute and adorable he is all the time doesn't help him much. He knows that, the world knows that. There comes a time when he needs to know that being the class clown is not to his benefit. Think about parenting: if you have a child who's naughty, yeah at times you might find some of the things they do adorable and secretly laugh inside. But you know you need to protect them by teaching them where they need to draw the line and you know it is for their own benefit to tell them off at times. You need to "make them cry". I feel though that when it comes to Gerry, most of us are prepared to let him get away with murder and find it cute. I am not. It doesn't mean I am less of a fan or I will stop supporting him. I believe though that we are doing him a greater good when we are unpleasant if we must than sing his praisers all the time, no matter what.

Theresa

I don't think anyone is trying to tell you how to feel, Tanya. It's just obvious that this has upset you a lot, and going around in circles about it is probably not going to make you any happier.

Some gals found it funny, others found it to be offensive. And that's the beauty of GALS; it's a place where we all can come and say what's in our hearts without worrying about being judged by others.

:grouphug:

Steph

I know what it feels like to be disappointed in Gerry. I have been before and I will be again, but after all, I am only a fan. Not a family member or friend. I have no influence on how he lives his life. Sure I will express my honest opinion if I don't approve of something he's done, but I just don't feel it's my place to chastise him. He's got family and friends to do that.

I just hope he gets some rest and some real sleep. He's been promoting LAC non-stop since it was released in the US.

Swannie

I AM livid!!! This is in no way funny at all.I am very disappointed in Gerard.There is no rational justification for this!!! Dead or Alive how could anyone say this was funny?We are all entitled to our opinions but in the subsequent aftermath,I see now that Michael was clearly not in his right frame of mind when he did that due to substance abuse! Gerard could have found another way to cause a stir.He stood up in that audience at the VMAS and applauded Janet and then did this! Would he reenact Kurt Cobain's,Heath Ledger's,David Carradine's,DJ AM's tragic endings for a laugh?I think not.If he put on some skis and hit a tree like Natasha Richardson,Sonny Bono or Michael Kennedy would we fall off our collective seats laughing? Maybe he should just fall off the stage at an event a la Steven Tyler for our amusement? He needs to take some serious time off....

I must admit, when I first read the headline on this one I my first thought was I wished he hadn't done it - and at that stage I thought Gerry held a doll (I hadn't seen a pic). Be that as it may, there are a few things about what you've said in your post.

1. Michael Jackson was clearly not in his right mind for many years, poor man. However, I had to wonder why he was allowed to keep custody of the children. Well, he's passed now so it's a moot point.

2. I very much doubt Gerry was making fun of Michael anyway (not that many many people didn't over that stunt with his baby).

3. Gerry didn't re-enact anyone's death so I'm not sure why you mentioned the unfortunate deaths of the other celebrities (there were quite a few Sonny jokes by other people, though, by other people, weren't there?)

I just think perhaps you're judgement of Gerry here is a bit harsh.

Cheers,

Vicki

I found this reply from you just before I posted:

No one has license to censure what I feel,I take great umbrage at that...

You're right. You are entitled to your thoughts and feelings. You don't have to approve everything Gerry does. But saying his actions were in poor taste is one thing. I still think your other points were a bit unfair.

I realize MJ fans will be offended regardless. I enjoyed his music in his heyday but was always a bigger Janet fan because she at least seemed grounded in reality and preferred her music because it reflected that. I lost respect for Michael a long ago around the time of his " issues" with little boys and faux marriages so I would be a hypocrite to feel any differently now that he is dead. So fans and non-fans will never agree on this. And I will leave it at that.

TMZ, yes I dare mention that word, actually thought it was one of the best photos of the year and as they gathered, likely correctly, that he was joking with the paps and fans down below. And Gerry has never been one to be precisely Politically Correct, this is not news and frankly Politically Correctness has gone so far people have lost their senses of humour.

I also agree that the UK press could find fault with Mother Theresa or name your saint - it is what they do. They make the North American press and paps look benign so there is almost no point trying to make them like you because it will backfire. They either like you or they don't according to their own whims. Which is odd because I find the people of UK are so warm and friendly but their press is so vicious.

Edited by lavender1960

If the news didn't have such title and didn't put MJ's pics along with Gerry's photos, I doubt how many people will link Gerry's joke to MJ? and how many people will feel offensive only by Gerry's pics? ;)

How people can know what happened and then judge just by those photos?

Edited by Jeanwhale

LOL no reverence for a dead guy's mistakes. How Gerry can you get?

He gets me laughing first thing in the morning. Oh and my eyeball hurts for his boo boo eyeball in the related story. What makes his eyes do that? Riding on planes so much? That is one boo boo this Mama wouldn't kiss.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

P.S. Oh dear now you will be disappointed in me as well, Tanya. I found it hilarious. I am sure Gerry wasn't wanting to offend Micheal Jackson fans. Lots of us have unanswered questions about Micheal Jackson's behavior over the years. The fact that someone dies for some of us does not immediately appoint them to sainthood to never be joked about again. I hate that Micheal was given drugs so liberally by doctors and I hate that he died, but it was so preventable. That is the tragedy not Gerry giving a few paps something to giggle about.

Edited by JustCallMeTracy