Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
lavender1960

Gerard Butler Hangs Baby Outside Window À La Michael Jackson

While I admit, this might not have been the wisest choice of parody for Gerry to choose, if he even gave it a thought before he made the motion, but such is the way of things. One thing this man has in common with Micheal Jackson was that he too, is a perpetual peter pan. Even Michael Jackson found the move amusing, toying with the razzi when he held his son out the balcony window in jest, and look at the backlash that poor man received. Did it mean he didn't love his son to the depths and breadths of his soul? Of course not, but the razzi jumped on it and became the piranha that they are and crucified the man for his actions.

Gerry is human and therefore is fallible. His sense of humor is bawdy, he is the perpetual bad boy. Does this make him errant, straying from the proper standards of what many people consider to be good form? Perhaps so, but it also makes him a very real person, vulnerable to the fact that because of his fame that anyone will take advantage of a situation and put such a spin on it that it seems nefarious.

The man has been going non stop now on this press junket for months, at times traveling to three different locations in the same day. While it's exciting, it's also very taxing on the body and when fatigue sets in, the mind has a tendency to wander. It is no secret that Gerry walks to the beat of his own drummer, not everybody is going to get his sense of humor, just as not everyone understood Micheal Jackson's idiosyncrasies. Both men live in a world that is very different from the one most of us live in, subject to ridicule and conjecture about the smallest of actions.

What's next? Will Greenpeace now come out and say that Gerry endangered a plant and must therefore be boycotted? Will someone take his comments from when he introduced LAC in Glasgow, calling Alan to his side and saying he was his lover make it into the headlines? Never mind that Alan saw the potential in Gerry and did all the amazing things he's done. Will that be twisted and taken out of context? Of course it will. It's tabloid fodder. It's what these people thrive on. Pinpointing and picking out the most inopportune moments and twisting them into what, to me, seems like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Was the incident with Micheal's jest what exemplified the man? Did it define who he was at his core? Did it point out all the many other things that the man did for the good of society as a whole? In my opinion, No. Was it blown way out of proportion and made out to be an otherwise unmemorable moment to glorify the negative aspects of his personality? In my opinion, yes. The same applies here with Gerry. I'd like to see if any of the rest of us could deal so well with the constant intrusion into our everyday lives as well as this man usually does.

Keep being you Gerry, don't ever let them take that from you.

:2cents:

It was a joke of an iconic celebrity moment with the paps. It was a dumb thing for MJ to do at the time. It is a parody of that moment. That's it.

I don't see any 'lack of judgement' on Gerry's part. Just a joke. Not everybody will be amused but many are. That's how jokes work.

There's always a hue and cry to regard Gerry as 'human' but God forbid that he actually be human and real and genuine because then the judgement starts. Part of being human is making jokes and staying up too late and having fun when others think you should be serious and managing your own career as you see fit and not meeting the expectations of people who have nothing to lose one way or another.

Gerry had a great weekend, a personal triumph. Nobody actually involved in that weekend, no professionals, are going to blow things out of proportion half as much as his fanbase will. The world has already moved on.

MY GOD! DON'T YOU KNOW "NEW MOON" PREMIERED? Anybody who's anybody is talking about RPat's hair and who wore what on the red carpet. Get with the program!

jane

(Oh, and Gerry doesn't read the paps? I hope he doesn't read his fanbases either.)

Edited by Jeb

Tanya, I apologize if I made you feel that your opinion wasn't valid. Of course it is, and I'm sorry. I was simply trying to point out that Gerry didn't reenact Michael's death.

I'm not going to say anymore. EVERYONE has said everything a million times better than I ever could have, and I agree with everything.

Well said, GALS.

Edited by phoenixgirl

Swannie,sweetie I know you mean well,but I'm very level headed.I'm not one given to histrionics.I feel how I feel.Period.Maybe perhaps we all need a break...Perusing this board is not my only interest nor is Gerard.My affinity for him won't change.I own my actions,thoughts etc.If my take on this incident has perturbed others, that's sad,I can't change that, nor do I wish to.I will continue to post etc.I know how to reign in my emotions very well.For the record though,I've been around him.Yes he is spontaneous and high spirited...I just feel this was in poor taste.I don't condone it.A myriad of feelings flooded me as soon as I saw it and they were not good.My" fandom" is intact.No one has license to censure what I feel,I take great umbrage at that...

Sweetie, you don't go anywhere. We all love you. There are things we have to agree to disagree upon, but you do not need to leave. My advice would be to just go into threads that do not hurt your feelings. I am not big on a lot of the gossip threads myself, Tanya. So sometimes I avoid them altogether. I have almost had a panic attack before from watching a Paparazzi video when so many were surrounding Gerry that I felt claustrophobic. I have also been that way about premiere videos with all the lights flashing, the people and the noise.

I had wrote my first response to the pictures before I realized they hurt your feelings so I went back and edited my post o explain in my P.S.

You are my friend and it is O.K. to feel as you do. Just like I think It is O.K. for me to think it is hysterical.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

I wish Gerry wouldn't have done this. I just think it was in poor taste. He's got too much class for this. It makes him appear callous - and he isn't. JMHO

BlueJean

I know what it feels like to be disappointed in Gerry. I have been before and I will be again, but after all, I am only a fan. Not a family member or friend. I have no influence on how he lives his life. Sure I will express my honest opinion if I don't approve of something he's done, but I just don't feel it's my place to chastise him. He's got family and friends to do that.

I just hope he gets some rest and some real sleep. He's been promoting LAC non-stop since it was released in the US.

Swannie

Well said, Swan. I've been feeling some disappointment myself lately.

No matter how individualized we feel we are, I believe that we are all looked upon collectively, as Gerry's fans, and with that 'title' comes the good, the bad, and the ugly.

By being Gerry's 'fans' we disqualify ourselves from being anything else to him, although I hope that our 'role' continues to be truly appreciated.

There's always a hue and cry to regard Gerry as 'human' but God forbid that he actually be human and real and genuine because then the judgement starts. Part of being human is making jokes and staying up too late and having fun when others think you should be serious and managing your own career as you see fit and not meeting the expectations of people who have nothing to lose one way or another.

Because that quote is worth seeing again! Something we should all think on for a bit.

I’m well into my 50’s and I not going to sit in judgment on the antics of a 40 year old adult male who I have no relationship with other then being a fan and following his career. If Gerry were running for public office I would certainly evaluate and judge his behavior, but he’s an actor.

God forbid if Gerry were gone, his legacy would be that of a well loved actor and beloved son and friend. I doubt that a minor joke holding some sort of plant over a balcony would even be mentioned.

Michael Jackson has left a legacy of enduring music and a tragic history of dysfunctional & delusional behavior. It’s up to Jackson’s fans to figure out to deal with the complexities of that. That has nothing to do with Gerard Butler or his actions at all.

I'm curious, Katie. Disappointed in what way? Disappointed in Gerry's off screen antics? Disappointed in his career choices...or disappointed in the backlash against his fans?

I'll be honest. I AM disappointed in some of his career choices, and, I do wish he would be less of a target for tabloid fodder and haters. As for fandom...I'm very passionate in my opinions about how we as Gerry's fans are judged by others. I hate it. I hate that the positive side of fandom is overlooked by the media, and that at times, even Gerry himself makes light of us.

But...after being part of fandom for nearly 5 years now, I think I am FINALLY developing a thicker skin, and despite my personal disappointments, this fandom and Gerry himself have been over all, a positive experience for me. And where he is concerned, I still love the guy.

I just hope he goes under the radar for a while and gives us all a break from the drama! LOL

Swannie

That is one boo boo this Mama wouldn't kiss.

Love,

Tracy

Really, why not? It's not a bad place to kiss. :-) I would kiss any boo boo on Gerry. :-)

Theresa

I guess I'll add my thoughts too. LMAO! Turning 40 isn't going to change Gerry at all. He is like a tornado. He stirs things up. I don't always appreciate some of his shannanagans, but he is human and needs a hit upside the back of his head once in a while, like everyone else. This was hilarious to me. No harm done.

Lets face it, Whenever people think about MJ, this is one of those memories. What MJ did was in poor taste, what Gerry did was "being a bad boy." It has nothing to do with MJ's death. I could see Gerry doing this even if MJ was alive. I think Gerry must be a little slap-happy by now. We don't have to agree with everything he does and he is bound to ruffle a few feathers, but he isn't going to start being politically correct and stop his spontaneity. I think he likes ruffling a few feathers...

Gerry, you bad boy.

Sally

.....and, the exact qualities that cause him to act like a doofas in R/L sometimes, are the SAME qualities we love about him in his film roles. That "devil may care" charm ...that bad boy smirk mixed with a certain Gerry innocence. It's all part of who he is, and like you said, Sally...he ain't gonna change.

Swannie

It's all much ado about nothing. I think anyone who is livid over a silly joke about Michael Jackson needs some rest, not Gerry.

With all due respect to the various opinions being expressed here, Tanya (dairyqueen) was, in fact, being told she shouldn't be so upset about this particular incident. Like every other fan, she has every right to express her personal disappointment at this incident. She wasn't being disrespectful nor was she trying to tell others how THEY should feel. She was expressing her personal thoughts which she has every right to along with other members.

What folks say and do with their disappointment is up to them.

Some folks are finding this particular incident funny, others don't care and others have felt it was done in poor taste. The opinions are all valid however, attacking or admonishing a member for expressing their opnion is NOT valid.

Edited by discoveringme

I just saw the picture. Was a little bit worried to see what it was all about. And... well... I found it funny! :D The look on Gerry's face just cracks me up. lol

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But... as far as I'm concerned, the guy has a weird sense of humour sometimes, and I think that's why I love him. :funnyup:

Since you quoted something I said, Jill...I feel the need to respond. In my earlier post, my intention was not to attack or admonish someone for a different opinion. I was in fact trying to offer Tanya my support because I know how it can hurt when Gerry does something we don't like. My suggestion that she take a breather was just that, a suggestion. If it came off as an attack, that is NOT how I intended it.

My apologies,

Swannie

OK, now that my comment is totally out of the loop of the last few posts, I still feel like it needs to be addressed.

Theresa said

Think about parenting: if you have a child who's naughty, yeah at times you might find some of the things they do adorable and secretly laugh inside. But you know you need to protect them by teaching them where they need to draw the line and you know it is for their own benefit to tell them off at times.

And IMHO if you parent properly; you parent away from prying eyes (this is not saying it is ok to beat your child <lets stop that before it ever starts>). And how does this apply to Gerry? If you are truly that offended by what he did, then write him a letter. It may save some of the unnecessary drama.

AGAIN ONLY MY OPINION

:wuv:

Gerry did not mock MJ's death, his drug addiction, his alleged pedophilia, his fantasy life or anything else that is regularly mocked by any number of people. He poked fun at celebrity excess and the paps. I'm just not seeing a monumental sin here.

jane

Okay, I'll chime in because I already did on Twitter. I think it was a brainless and immature stunt on G's part and, as he often does, I just don't think he engaged his brain before doing this. He's a little boy in a man's body... My first reaction was to roll my eyes and say, "What a dumb a@@..." That's the truth. Was I terribly offended? No. I just thought it was stupid.

Whatever the reasoning (being over-tired, etc.), he'll be the one to live with the consequences and perhaps he'll think twice next time. Some people *coughmecough* have to learn the hard way by screwing up, sometimes in a really big way.

I do NOT however, feel that it was a DELIBERATE slight to MJ in any way, shape or form. I just don't think he thought it through. Does that give him a pass? Nope, he'll have to deal with the backlash (and there WILL be backlash from MJ fans) and maybe he'll learn.

I just wish he didn't make Joy and Rupert have to work so hard. :kiss:

Throw vegi's, fruit, whatever...but I've never been one to sugarcoat things and I don't think I'll start now.

:hugs:

Dayna

Gerry did not mock MJ's death, his drug addiction, his alleged pedophilia, his fantasy life or anything else that is regularly mocked by any number of people. He poked fun at celebrity excess and the paps. I'm just not seeing a monumental sin here.

jane

I thought this too, Jane. It was more a jab at his own celebrity (and celebrity in general) and the paps than it was mocking MJ.

Swannie

I'm curious, Katie. Disappointed in what way? Disappointed in Gerry's off screen antics? Disappointed in his career choices...or disappointed in the backlash against his fans?

I'll be honest. I AM disappointed in some of his career choices, and, I do wish he would be less of a target for tabloid fodder and haters. As for fandom...I'm very passionate in my opinions about how we as Gerry's fans are judged by others. I hate it. I hate that the positive side of fandom is overlooked by the media, and that at times, even Gerry himself makes light of us.

But...after being part of fandom for nearly 5 years now, I think I am FINALLY developing a thicker skin, and despite my personal disappointments, this fandom and Gerry himself have been over all, a positive experience for me. And where he is concerned, I still love the guy.

I just hope he goes under the radar for a while and gives us all a break from the drama! LOL

Swannie

Gerry's off-screen antics are his business.

I feel a lot of them are misconstrued and outright lied about in the tabloids and online blogs, etc.

I take them with a grain of salt and always strive to give Gerry the benefit of the doubt.

His career choices are his to make. That doesn't mean I LOVE every film he makes, but I attend and/or purchase every one.

Gerry himself said "You keep supporting me and I'll keep supporting you."

I suppose I'm just not feeling that this has been very equally balanced of late. Those people who waited for hours in line at the Glasgow premiere were not all local Glaswegians or Scots. They were fans from all over the planet. Fans who have conventions and 'global celebrations' should not be mocked (but we are, and I accept that to an extent). Not necessarily mocked by Gerry, but when mocked by others, a kind word in our defense would be quite pleasant to hear from him.

DQ is entitled to her opinion. I didn't think it was funny. That's my opinion. Life is moving on.

What's more distrubing to me is if someone states a differing opinion they are told they're opinion is wrong, or they need a break? Why? Because they don't agree with you? People have disagreements everyday and continue to thrive. Bullying is not a good look on anyone.

Just because someone doesn't like what he's done or said doesn't mean that they hate him, or think ill of him. They're just offereing a different view point.

There are some really great and nice posters on here, and I really don't feel they should be silenced because they have a different opinion.

JMO

D :)

Swannie

Gerry's off-screen antics are his business.

I feel a lot of them are misconstrued and outright lied about in the tabloids and online blogs, etc.

I take them with a grain of salt and always strive to give Gerry the benefit of the doubt.

I agree, but I still do roll my eyes and cringe sometimes.

His career choices are his to make. That doesn't mean I LOVE every film he makes, but I attend and/or purchase every one.

Me too. I saw GAMER and LAC each one time. Not my faves.

Gerry himself said "You keep supporting me and I'll keep supporting you."

I suppose I'm just not feeling that this has been very equally balanced of late. Those people who waited for hours in line at the Glasgow premiere were not all local Glaswegians or Scots. They were fans from all over the planet. Fans who have conventions and 'global celebrations' should not be mocked (but we are, and I accept that to an extent). Not necessarily mocked by Gerry, but when mocked by others, a kind word in our defense would be quite pleasant to hear from him.

I can see this. It would be nice if when we are publicly mocked, G would try to correct the misconceptions out there.

DQ is entitled to her opinion. I didn't think it was funny. That's my opinion. Life is moving on.

What's more distrubing to me is if someone states a differing opinion they are told they're opinion is wrong, or they need a break? Why? Because they don't agree with you? People have disagreements everyday and continue to thrive. Bullying is not a good look on anyone.

Just because someone doesn't like what he's done or said doesn't mean that they hate him, or think ill of him. They're just offereing a different view point.

There are some really great and nice posters on here, and I really don't feel they should be silenced because they have a different opinion.

JMO

I don't see ANYONE being silenced. No one is being bullied. It is a discussion with both view points being offered.

JMO

OK, I get we are all entitled to our OPINIONS! How the hell ever... you DIDNOT just call a fellow GAL a fooking BULLY!!??

MODS~ I think this has gone far enough. There will be nothing else gained by this thread. Slap me if I need it, but as a victim of bulling, my hackles are waaaaayyy up.

Edited by Knight Phantom

Yall should really learn to chill out sometimes. Its not that damned serious.