Gerard Butler GALS

11/20 - Gerard Butler's tough times on film

becozy

from: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...cYoM4U7bLG8tV9g

Gerard Butler's tough times on film (UKPA) – 4 hours ago

Gerard Butler has revealed he didn't have an easy time filming Law Abiding Citizen.

The Scottish actor admitted making the revenge film, which focuses on a man taking on his family's killers and the criminal justice system, was immensely stressful.

Gerard, who stars and makes his producing debut in the thriller, said: "I noticed a lot of the time while I was filming, I wasn't in a great space or my stomach would be churning because of the other issues that would be going on."

The actor took a break once shooting ended.

"But when I finished, that was tough. That was literally about three weeks or a month, I spent in a very funky place," he said.

"I came back to Scotland after that, went away, went and climbed a couple of hills and got a tent out and went off to India."

The 40-year-old was once a law student but said that wasn't the only reason he was drawn to the movie.

"It's just first of all a great story. It's as much about climbing into the mind of a person who's been so wrong, everything in his life has changed in one moment. What must that be like and what lengths would you go to as a person to take revenge, to hit out and answer back. I thought that was a far more compelling reason for me anyway, to do the movie, because that's what would fascinate me as an audience member and as an actor," he said.

:: Law Abiding Citizen is released in cinemas on November 27.

Thank you for the update! It was in the second part of the London press conference, wasn't it? I was listening to it just now. I can imagine he didn't feel well even "now" when speaking about his emotions while filming. I think it was at least one of the reasons why he seemed to be so tired and exhausted (also, the lighting was not too favourable). I hope he is better now. :wave::wave: :wave:

BTW, they released LAC in our country yesterday!!! Of course, I saw it already, and I will go to see it more times!!! But it is really not very cheerful even if you just watch it, so I can imagine the pressure for such a sensitive person to play the role!!!

:pointy::pointy::pointy:

Edited by Donnie

This article brings up a thought-provoking point. Whenever we see Gerry, he appears to be having a great time, totally enjoying life. It's almost hard to believe he still gets into a funk, which we all can relate to big time, yes? With all that he does, it seems that every moment of his life is taken up with working, modeling, doing interviews or attending parties. I'm sure that even though he has an abundance of friends, and can date pretty much anyone he wants, he has an empty spot that hasn't been filled. He's also a perfectionist, which means he's constantly pushing himself to do better, which means he probably criticizes everything he does. What may be so-so to him may be phenomenal to us. I can't relate to him but I can empathize, as we all can. One of the things I love about him is that he knows how to take care of himself, and taking trips to get away from everything is his way of distancing from the demands of his life. With that said, does anyone know why he takes so many trips to India as opposed to anywhere else in the world (like the Scottish Highlands, for instance)? I know he's friends with Deepak Chopra and he meditates, plus he made friends with the cast of Slumdog Millionaire. I know there are many ashrams in India so in that respect, it may be the perfect retreat. Any thoughts, ladies?

:bow2::hmm:

Wow, you summed up GB quite well. He has admitted to most all the things just said.

I think he is extremely sensative--but he has learned to deal with that and other issues

concerning his perfectionism. I believe Gerry is genius in many areas, and then he can't

get it together in some other ways--very typical. I think he relies on the opinions and

praise from others and if that is negative it is very hurtful. I agree that the fairly new

found meditation and spiritual techniques has really helped him deal with his anxieties.

Sure hope so. Alan recently said in an interview--Gerry has a big heart, and he has

shown that to his fans SO many times. He really CARES and isn't just "acting." If one

is ever fortunate enough to look into his eyes, you can see he is being genuine. Just

love this man for all these things.

Judy

interesting article/interview as well as posted comments. the one thing in particular that jumps out for me is how gerry has explained these last few films had their difficulties (namely 'gamer' and now 'LAC'). there is SO much infront as well as behind the camera going on...it must be tremendous. given that, i wonder down the road perhaps if gerry would be doing more writing and producing as oppossed to leading man characters? the second thing....love the idea of camping with this fella....whoot! it is so awesome to pull away from the flashbulbs and just relax, unwind, commune with nature...the best remedy!

I think anyone would be incredibly anxious producing their first film along with actually acting in it as well, in an emotionally draining role. So he was being emotionally drained on two diferent levels as an actor and as a producer. I am sure all the fans were anxious until it was clear the movie was going to be successful. So imagine for Gerry that anxiety is multipled by 1000. You can make a brilliant film but a variety of circumstances will mitigate vs it, many factors being out of your control.

In the old days, TV shows and movies were allowed to build up an audience. I seem to recall that many of the best grossing films did not have big opening weekends, it was word of mouth that got people in theatres not trailers or ads, this was before the days of Entertainment Tonight etc. and certainly some of the best TV shows did not have great ratings the first season. Now if you don't have a good opening weekend, they write the movie off as a failure. Which I have to wonder contributes to people then no longer being interested or theatres pulling the plug on movies too soon. Who knows. We live in the world of instant gratification.

Gerry and Alan were smart though because they managed to combine a thriller/action element and a thought provoking element into one movie so it appealed to a very wide base of movie goers and their timing turned out to be impeccable on the release date.

Tough being a Gary Oldman fan when the first film he produced and directed, Nil by Mouth, was critically acclaimed and won awards at Cannes but never got a distribution deal and put him several million dollars in the hole because he couldn't get outside financing. This is what Gerry was having nightmares about, no doubt. [i still scratch my head though at how that film didn't get some kind of distribution deal, something wrong there, it was certainly a movie in the line of Ken Loach and Mike Leigh, two major influences on Oldman, and their movies get distribution. I love it - one of his movies that I watch regularly] But I don't think Gary had any regrets because he is very proud of the film, he got to do it his way. And it was very emotionally draining for him as it was partly autobiographical. Ray Winstone was brilliant in it as well as Cathy Burke and Gary's sister Laila Morse. I love Ray. But sorry Ray, Gerry's Beowulf is sooooo much better, IMO.

Now Gerry has done it once and succeeded I am sure he'll have far more confidence but the movie business is still very fickle, even Spielberg miscalculates from time to time, doesn't he? You are still going to be on the verge of an ulcer until those opening numbers come out the first weekend.

Edited by lavender1960

I so get why he gets away and travels to clear his head from all the stress. I know if I were in his shoes, I'd do the same. Anyone can get caught in a dark place and out of kilter. It is nice to back away and get a new perspective which hopefully, gets you centered and back to normal. It won't be long and I figure he might disappear again, after all the premieres and press tour is completely over. It's been a long tour...

Sally

Edited by cybrsal

Doing a character like Clyde is such an intense role with strong, human emotions that I can see where Gerry had to so emmerse himself mentally, physically and emotionally to convey Clyde's state of mind. I often wonder how in the course of doing a movie, an actor can pull themselves in and out of a character like that just to go to lunch! I've heard some actors stay in character and I've heard that Gerry went from Clyde to Gerry pretty easily. Maybe all he had to do was tap in more to that dark side of himself.

I've heard a lot of celebrities go to India. The Beatles started the trend back in the seventies and George Harrison started playing the sitar with Ravi Shankar and incorporated it in many of his later recordings and had quite an Indian influence in his music.

I'd like to go there someday.

Delene

I wonder where he'll trek off to this time when all the press for LAC is out of the way?

Between his comments here and his comments at the press conference where he was so tired, does anyone think he is hinting at problems with LAC in terms of production team conflicts? Maybe I am mistaken, but that's what I am hearing. I know he is also referring to accessing a dark place within his own head in order to play Clyde, but given this film's directorial change in midstream, it does sound like those conflicts may have affected him too. Just a thought.

Swannie

. . . Between his comments here and his comments at the press conference where he was so tired, does anyone think he is hinting at problems with LAC in terms of production team conflicts? Maybe I am mistaken, but that's what I am hearing. I know he is also referring to accessing a dark place within his own head in order to play Clyde, but given this film's directorial change in midstream, it does sound like those conflicts may have affected him too. Just a thought.

Swannie

Yes, Swannie, I definitely think that's part of it. He has alluded elsewhere to difficulties with early hirings of writers and directors (including Darabont) and it causing delays and cost overruns and almost sinking the film before they got rolling. I think his struggle NOT to talk about certain things publicly added to the disjointed answers on some of the questions in the UK Press Conference.

jane

Yes, Swannie, I definitely think that's part of it. He has alluded elsewhere to difficulties with early hirings of writers and directors (including Darabont) and it causing delays and cost overruns and almost sinking the film before they got rolling. I think his struggle NOT to talk about certain things publicly added to the disjointed answers on some of the questions in the UK Press Conference.

jane

OK, Jane. This makes sense to me. :) Thanks for pointing it out.

All that should matter is that it's a done deal, a fabulous movie and raking in the dough. I bet he's pretty done (in his mind) with all this PR BS ....

Thanks, Jane. That's what I was picking up on. I cannot imagine the conflicts that must come up in producing a film. I am fascinated that the producers wanted to go an entirely different direction than Darabont, and perhaps that was at the heart of Gerry's difficulty.

I am not entirely happy with LAC, but I do think Gerry and the other producers were wise in creating a film that would appeal to a broader audience, thus the whole "popcorn flick" angle. It seems that Darabont was more interested in making the story as a drama, without all the chills and thrills.

It must have been an incredible growing experience for Gerry to stick to his guns when making decisions, even if others around him thought it was mistake to go for more of an action thriller.

I am very happy for LAC's success.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

All that should matter is that it's a done deal, a fabulous movie and raking in the dough. I bet he's pretty done (in his mind) with all this PR BS ....

:D I know I would be!

Yeah, I think the "popcorn" element makes the film a financial success and is not to be sneezed at. Go for the artier dramas (which often sink-like-a-stone commercially) when your company is sound and stable and can afford to take risks. But even then, work has to be done on a reasonable time table. Darabont has had troubles on other films as well (George Lucas fired him for one) so he's not trouble free even in the best of situations. And when you're hired to do one kind of film but insist on doing another, and taking longer than expected to even do that, well, it's not a happy time.

I'm just glad it has all worked out so well. Gerry and Evil Twins have a nice success under their belts and can go forward a little easier now to the next one, hopefully. :p

jane

I think that is what makes him the great actor he is, he really gets into his parts. I'm so glad the movie is so successful and he's able to take a breather. It was great that he had his premiere in Scotland so he could be with friends and family.

Waiting for his next.....

I think some of the disjointed answers came because he was trying not to burn bridges with the people who dropped out of the project for whatever reason. They used elements of Frank Darabont's script so they must have parted without too much acrimony. And I think its written into contracts -- and is just good business practice -- not to disclose the details behind such partings.

Gerry looked like he needed a coffee and a couple of aspirins during that press conference, poor boy. He was too exhausted to be charming or even think straight. But he was back on form for the Paul O'Grady Show, so he recovered quickly. And hopefully he's catching up on sleep now. :)

:D I know I would be!

Yeah, I think the "popcorn" element makes the film a financial success and is not to be sneezed at. Go for the artier dramas (which often sink-like-a-stone commercially) when your company is sound and stable and can afford to take risks. But even then, work has to be done on a reasonable time table. Darabont has had troubles on other films as well (George Lucas fired him for one) so he's not trouble free even in the best of situations. And when you're hired to do one kind of film but insist on doing another, and taking longer than expected to even do that, well, it's not a happy time.

I'm just glad it has all worked out so well. Gerry and Evil Twins have a nice success under their belts and can go forward a little easier now to the next one, hopefully. :p

jane

i agree phoenix and jeb....it's a done deal and a successful one at that. now, in the 'afterglow' it seems to be the best time to reflect and expound upon all that went into it...in other words for future reference as 'history repeats itself' or better put...how not to make the same mistakes again? just food for thought (shrugs). making films in the 20th century has become a weighty mammoth attached to a dauntingly long term 'affair' (with the making of at least 2 years). it really is a labor of love ultimately. these people have got to be passionate first...then technical...then business...it's a culmination of science & art. nice! anyhoo - really enjoyed the interview equally the comments. take care all

From my observations of the movie industry over the past 20 years or so, every movie project hits snags, even ones by experienced heavy hitters like Spielberg/Dreamworks.

I think if anyone told you everything ran smoothly from conception to completion to distribution they are liars. And even then you are still subject to the whims of the public and factors not in your control.

The successful producers and directors just seem to know how to tap dance better or deal with the curve balls they will get thrown. And yes learning from past mistakes is a big part of it but have no doubt, there will be new curve balls the next project out. There is always unexpected situations that arise because there are always elements out of your control. Just watch Wrath of God documentary.

As well a 50 million budget is pretty ambitious for a first project for any production company. That's pretty ballsy. That's a lot of money to lose if you don't succeed. But sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Or there was a sign in a pub in my hometown, that said Go Hard or Go Home- [one could interpret that on many different levels, bwah] The gamble worked this time out.

Making movies is not for the weak of heart.

Edited by lavender1960