Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Ski Bum

When to have romantic scenes in a movie

I read somewhere that love scenes in a movie are usually filmed at the beginning of the movie since the co-stars might not be speaking to each other by the end of the movie - but according to the director and producer of TUT they waited until the very end of the movie to film the romantic scenes and the final bedroom scene.

After watching and listening to the special features on the DVD for TUT it is apparent that everyone loved filming the movie and the chemistry between GB and KH survived the rigors of movie film making. It shows in the movie.

:wave:

Since it has done so well is a sequel in the future?

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

I would say no to a sequel. What could they do? There's nothing left undone. Besides that, Gerry has said he really doesn't want to do sequels. I think Rob learned his sequel lesson with the second Legally Blonde. :lol:

So my opinion would be no. :)

I'm also in the no sequel camp. I think sequels can be good when done right, but TUT is definitely not amenable to a sequel.

I am, however, strongly in favor of the RocknRolla sequel. :D

Steph

Why??? Just wondering why you would want a sequel to RNR which really didn't do that well at the box office compared to TUT?? This is just my curiosity asking...

:wave: Frannie

If Gerry ever agreed to a sequel I would hope it would be for Dear Frankie!

Let's see...

#1- RocknRolla already has two sequels written!

#2- I think there's the opportunity for some more silly antics involving Johnny, Archie, and the Wild Bunch.

#3- TUT was a story that revolved around a short, defined, and specific series of events... the clash of Mike's and Abby's shows and the ensuing battle of the sexes. Now that they're together and the battle is over... it'd just be, what, a story about their life together? Even if they could do it, they'd have to come up with another (very different) hook to hang the story on, and at that point, there's no reason for them to be the same characters... it'd just be a different movie.

:2cents:

Steph

I would loooove to see the RNR gang in another caper. That would be fall-out-of-the-seat-beyond-hilarious!

("Where's reverse?") :lmao:

I think it would be fun to see The Wild Bunch in another caper. :D

Sooooo many possibilities for them. RocknRolla was character-driven as much as anything... they can be plopped down into another crime-related situation and come out famously. TUT was situation-driven.

Steph

RocknRolla is supposed to be a trilogy anyway according to Guy Ritchie. Also at the end of RocknRolla it said that certain characters would be returning for the next film, including The Wild Bunch. Gerry traditionally does not do sequels, the only one Gerry has ever done is TR2. And if I`m being honest, I really wouldn`t be interested in seeing a sequel, unless its suppossed to be a series of movies, like Twilight or Harry Potter...thats not the same thing. However, I would make an exception for a RocknRolla sequel b/c I enjoyed RocknRolla a lot; and I see a lot of potential for the characters.

Most of the time sequels, especially in the case of romantic comedies, never work. Most romantic comedies, their story line is designed to go to a certain point,a certain place and then thats it. I could never see The Ugly Truth story taken any further than it was.

Edited by AngelofMusic

Oh I don't want a sequel to Tut....it wouldn't make a bit of sense and I guess if I put this option to more of us older "chicks" they will surly agree that a sequel to DF would be on top of their list as well... I could not for the life of me get into RNR...It was too dark and hard to understand what they were saying to me. Of course Gerry was the only entertainment in that one for me.. I had a hard enough time watching it the one time so if there is a sequel I really hope Gerry sticks to his word and doesn't do it! I know you guys that liked this movie will all want to throw things at me so I'll get out of here before the Shite starts flying!! :p

:flee: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Dear Frankie needs a sequel.

There could be a a million POTO sequels as long as Gerry was in them all. LOL I am kidding I just love Gerry as Erik.

I think TUT had a happy ending. I don't need a sequel when there is a happy ending.

Only when there is a sad ending or I feel like I am left hanging do I want a sequel.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

I agree, I don't think TUT needs a sequel. There isn't really anywhere else to go with that story.

I really love Dear Frankie and am a bit undecided if I would like sequel for that one. I'm not sure if, for me, the magic could be captured again... JMO :wave:

Gerry did TR2 as a stand alone movie. He wasn't in the original so really you can't count that as Gerry doing a sequel. IMHO.

I don't want to see a Dear Frankie sequel. I like that it ended with you not really knowing what happened, and that we each get to make up our own romantic story of what happened after. Besides a reunion scene, what could they possibly make an entire movie about anyway? There really isn't a story there that wouldn't be contrived.

I agree, Lisa. DF doesn't need a sequel. It's very clear to me what will happen.

With TUT, I think you could do a sequel very easily (but I dont' see any reason to and I don't think they will :p). It's five years later, and Mike and Abby have three children and a hefty mortgage and their marital relationship has dwindled down to a hearty handshake. Mike's a great father but is frutrated by Appy's lack of interest and Abby, stressed out with childcare and yearing for her old job, is frustrated that 'that's (sex) all he thinks about!' On the verge of divorce, amusing circumstances prevail, love is rekindled, true emotions expressed and as we leave them once again,love and passion re-blooming, Abby discovers that number four is on the way.

That's Life!

:D jane

Here’s the reality: In order for RocknRolla to have a sequel, Guy Ritchie is going to need to have a huge box office success with Sherlock Holmes which is due out next month. If that happens studio executives might be kindly disposed to green light other Ritchie projects. Operative word on “might” since RocknRolla was not profitable at all and in this economic environment even Ritchie having success with Sherlock Holmes might not be enough to get RnR a sequel.

I don’t see the point for a TUT sequel at all. Perhaps a reteaming of KH and Gerry in some other movie might be a better idea; I liked Gerry and Katherine in this movie. Nice chemistry.

I think under the right circumstances Gerry might consider any sequel if he liked the script. I don’t think he’s said no outright to any sequel idea he has simply expressed a certain degree of caution. Kind of a get the script written and convince me why will it work attitude.

Here's the reality: In order for RocknRolla to have a sequel, Guy Ritchie is going to need to have a huge box office success with Sherlock Holmes which is due out next month. If that happens studio executives might be kindly disposed to green light other Ritchie projects. Operative word on "might" since RocknRolla was not profitable at all and in this economic environment even Ritchie having success with Sherlock Holmes might not be enough to get RnR a sequel.

I don't see the point for a TUT sequel at all. Perhaps a reteaming of KH and Gerry in some other movie might be a better idea; I liked Gerry and Katherine in this movie. Nice chemistry.

I think under the right circumstances Gerry might consider any sequel if he liked the script. I don't think he's said no outright to any sequel idea he has simply expressed a certain degree of caution. Kind of a get the script written and convince me why will it work attitude.

He did say it would have to be a great script so yes, we should never say never. But good luck with that. :lol:

I agree totally that Gerry and Katherine had great chemistry. I can see them being like Bogie & Becall and making more than one movie together (even though Hollywood doesn't really do that anymore). I would like to see them do something a bit more serious, though. We know they can both do drama so I think it would be really great to see them bring us to tears in a different way.

I see The Ugly Truth as something that could be made in to a sitcom for TV. The continuing saga of the struggles between the relationship challenged Abby and the ever present male chauvenist pig, Mike telling her what she's doing wrong over her shoulder.

I agree, Lisa. DF doesn't need a sequel. It's very clear to me what will happen.

With TUT, I think you could do a sequel very easily (but I dont' see any reason to and I don't think they will :p). It's five years later, and Mike and Abby have three children and a hefty mortgage and their marital relationship has dwindled down to a hearty handshake. Mike's a great father but is frutrated by Appy's lack of interest and Abby, stressed out with childcare and yearing for her old job, is frustrated that 'that's (sex) all he thinks about!' On the verge of divorce, amusing circumstances prevail, love is rekindled, true emotions expressed and as we leave them once again,love and passion re-blooming, Abby discovers that number four is on the way.

That's Life!

:D jane

Also, I could see Mike's character becoming the "house husband" for the kids so Abby can climb her career ladder. Seeing a character like him, wallowing in diapers and vacuuming and taking kids to soccer practice and becoming one of the soccer moms (ala Mister Mom) might be amusing twist for a sequel. He is the one then yearning for his old job back, but with a new perspective on what women actually do. In fact, that theme could be the basis of his new come back show, which of course, Abby happily produces. Nothing changes the viewpoint of a man like Mike until they've walked a few miles in a woman's shoes.

Delene

Did I read somewhere that her husband was jealous on the sidelines when GB and KH had some of the love scenes? The kissing scenes were NOT like those in "Tomb Raider"....rather on the conservative side for Gerry.

I don't think a Dear Frankie sequel would work, for the same reason I don't think a TUT sequel would work. Sure, DF left you hanging and wondering if there could be more for the two characters, but the movie revolved around Lizzie's relationship with her son, and keeping the secret of his father from him. If there was a DF sequel to give us more about the Stranger/Lizzie story, then it would just be about them... again, a totally different type of movie.

Although I agree that Gerry and Katherine worked well together, I wouldn't really advocate them doing another romcom together. I think Hollywood doesn't do that much anymore because the expectations are just too high... Anyone remember when Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan got together again for "You've Got Mail"? It ended up being an adorable movie, but was not well received because everyone wanted it to be just like Sleepless in Seattle.

Those're my thoughts.

Steph

Did I read somewhere that her husband was jealous on the sidelines when GB and KH had some of the love scenes? The kissing scenes were NOT like those in "Tomb Raider"....rather on the conservative side for Gerry.

I don't know that that elevator bit was conservative. :lol:

But that dancing scene???????? If I was her husband I'd be jealous, too. That's one of the sexiest two minutes in all of moviedom, that bit.

I don't know that that elevator bit was conservative. :lol:

But that dancing scene???????? If I was her husband I'd be jealous, too. That's one of the sexiest two minutes in all of moviedom, that bit.

Okay, so rewatched this last night. Yeah, the elevator bit *was* conservative. For all that energy they put into the kissing, their mouths were closed. Didn't see a bit of tongue anywhere.

Had to rewind/rewatch quite a few times to come to this conclusion.

Heh.