Gerard Butler GALS

11/26 - Talk sport interview with Gerry - LAC junket/supporting Celtic

becozy

Thank you DISTGB!

What a gentleman! Did you notice his answer in regards to his beautiful leading ladies? He underlines the fact that they are intelligent first and foremost. Does he know how to charm a woman or not? :-)

I also have a question for the Scottish Gals: how do you pronounce "Celtic"? I know in the US it's "Seltic" but in Glasgow I've heard everyone say "Keltic". I could swear Gerry used to say "Keltic" in the past. Now he says "Seltic". Which is the correct name of the particular Glasgow team? I need to know because I have a bet with Stelios and Gerry is not helping me here. :-)

Theresa

Hey Theresa,

this is a common question ! If Scots are talking about the football team its pronounced "Seltic" but on any other ocassion it would be "Keltic". However lets see what everyone else says.

Stuart

Thank you DISTGB!

What a gentleman! Did you notice his answer in regards to his beautiful leading ladies? He underlines the fact that they are intelligent first and foremost. Does he know how to charm a woman or not? :-)

I also have a question for the Scottish Gals: how do you pronounce "Celtic"? I know in the US it's "Seltic" but in Glasgow I've heard everyone say "Keltic". I could swear Gerry used to say "Keltic" in the past. Now he says "Seltic". Which is the correct name of the particular Glasgow team? I need to know because I have a bet with Stelios and Gerry is not helping me here. :-)

Theresa

Thank you DISTGB!

Theresa

I think when you are talking about the football team its pronounced 'Seltic'. But the word 'Celtic' can also be pronounced 'Keltic' when saying something like 'Celtic traditions'. I probably haven't explained that very well but ye get what I mean!

Jo

Thank you DISTGB!

Theresa

I think when you are talking about the football team its pronounced 'Seltic'. But the word 'Celtic' can also be pronounced 'Keltic' when saying something like 'Celtic traditions'. I probably haven't explained that very well but ye get what I mean!

Jo

There goes my bet. I am to go without Gerry for an entire weekned! No way I can do that! I'll just go with the "Celtic traditions" theory. :-)

Thanks,

Theresa

I live in the US, and the only time I ever say 'Seltic' is when I'm talking about the Boston Celtics, the US basketball team. Any other time I say 'Keltic'. It's funny because Americans often correct me when I say 'keltic' instead of 'seltic'.

I live in the midwest, and as much as I hate to say it....it's not the most culturally diverse place in the US.

With that being said I rarely have a reason to say 'keltic' or 'seltic', LOL. :pointy:

D

Funny in Canada we do the same thing I think because we are used to hearing about the Boston Celtics [seltics] on sports TV. Keltic just sounds more Gaelic than Seltic. There is a large Celtic music tradition in Eastern Canada and I love a lot of that music. It is also very popular at all these Renaissance Festivals they have every summer around these parts.

Yes so much better to be a Dutch "football" fan right now, needling GB, hee hee. Orange and proud. I got my Hup Holland scarf just waiting for the right occasion. That's on my bucket list - to attend one World Cup soccer game with Holland in it or one Premier League championship. Or see David Beckham play in Toronto once but he keeps getting injured.

Go Orange

Edited by lavender1960

I have been wondering about this for awhile, but hadn't bothered to check. I know I would say Celtic Cross, for instance w/ a hard C, but the sports teams seem to be w/ a soft C (S).

The only thing I've been able to find was the thought that it's pronounced w/ a soft C when it's used as a noun, but I don't think that;s 100% true, either.

Edited by Rendita

I'm surprised the the football team pronounced it wth the S sound. There is a basketball team here in the US, the Boston Celtics, and it's also prounounced Seltics.

I would venture to guess that Keltics (spelled phonetically on purpose) is only used when talking about the culture, religion, etc., and pronouned Seltics when used any other way, especially in sports.

Go figure ... awww, a man and his sports. It's nice to hear Gerry talking about sports. I wish we would read/hear more about things like that. I'm dying to know if he supports any baseball or basketball teams at all here in the US.

Thanks for this.

Edited by phoenixgirl

wow i did not know he supported celtic!

i have actually fell in love with him all over again!

i have grew up with a celtic mad family, and my brother even plays in the celtic boys acadamy!

so he might be a wee star of the future lol

yes its pronounced 'seltic'

but we all call them ''sellic' in a right glasgow accent lol !

some legends have came from that team!

rip tommy burns !

natalie

xoxo

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought he was referring to the Celtics Basketball team in his past interviews...oh well now I know :bonk:

I thought that I saw a photo of him at the Celtics Basketball Game somewhere...