Gerard Butler GALS

IS TERRY THE STRANGER????

Guest Aislinn

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

I'm older than Gerry too so the poor man doesn't stand a chance!! :licky: :cunning:

I was happy that Terry found something especially after Lara. He saw how close he came to seeing the end of his life dealing with MI6 and Croft. He was getting past his adventuraos life and being a "Bad arse". He figured I'm thirty four now and still in one piece, there has to be more to this life than what I just went through. So Scotland was calling him, Terry, Terry come back to Glencoe and he answered the call. But back to what? Even though he still had a wondering soul he knew something was missing but in the mean time just keep moving become a merchant marine. It wasn't until he accepted the deception of being Frankie's father that he got close enough to the bonding that a human really needs. That female male intimasy that is so important and needed. It is just the two of you and the rest of the world. It gives you that time to peel away the mask and just relax with the one that loves you. This was the first encounter the stranger had in a very long time, the first encounter he recognized , he needed. Some times circumstances lead you on a path. When his sister Marie asked if he would be Frankie's father for a day, he was mellowing. He found Lizzie and Frankie flesh and blood human beings and it soafened him, he needed them as much as they needed him. It really is very basic you don't have to be a brain surgeon.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

He won't know what hit him. (or licked him. Oops, not Over 18) I'll stop now. :whip:

*runs off dreaming of Gerry begging for mercy. trips over own feet)

*me, frantically scanning up and down the list, looking for the "SLURP!" icon!!!*

Is this it, she asks? :tasty: Nope, but close enough! :gerrylicious:

Well, I think I have worked myself up into such a state, I need to go watch a movie of some sort to calm down. Perhaps something with...oh, I dunno....someone doing upside down push ups, maybe? (Would that be Push DOWNS?) or perhaps something involving a long black cape? And maybe a mask? I've got it...a movie with a man in a long black cape and a mask doing PUSH DOWNS from the ceiling, whilst biting someone's neck?

Must...go...watch...GERRY! Neeeeeeed....GERRYFIX!

:baby:

Marcia

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

I'm older than Gerry too so the poor man doesn't stand a chance!! :licky: :cunning:

I was happy that Terry found something especially after Lara. He saw how close he came to seeing the end of his life dealing with MI6 and Croft. He was getting past his adventuraos life and being a "Bad arse". He figured I'm thirty four now and still in one piece, there has to be more to this life than what I just went through. So Scotland was calling him, Terry, Terry come back to Glencoe and he answered the call. But back to what? Even though he still had a wondering soul he knew something was missing but in the mean time just keep moving become a merchant marine. It wasn't until he accepted the deception of being Frankie's father that he got close enough to the bonding that a human really needs. That female male intimasy that is so important and needed. It is just the two of you and the rest of the world. It gives you that time to peel away the mask and just relax with the one that loves you. This was the first encounter the stranger had in a very long time, the first encounter he recognized , he needed. Some times circumstances lead you on a path. When his sister Marie asked if he would be Frankie's father for a day, he was mellowing. He found Lizzie and Frankie flesh and blood human beings and it soafened him, he needed them as much as they needed him. It really is very basic you don't have to be a brain surgeon.

Sorry, NYGal...not buyin' it, here. Terry is a rotter to the core. He was going to KILL Lara. (He was going to kill HALF THE WORLD, in fact). For money. The Stranger is gentle and good and kind to the core. If it makes you happy to think they are the same person, by all means. It's YOUR fantasy. But for me, they are as different as night and day...as different as Frankie's REAL Da and The Stranger...and I can't see it any other way. And to me, it feels demeaning to The Stranger (that lovely, hurting, but kind man) to link him to Terry Sheridan in any way. He's honest and loyal and rock solid. Terry is slippery as an eel, dishonest, disloyal, and totally mercenary. Had he recovered from the bullet he took, he would have been even worse, looking for any chance to "one up" Lara and the rest of the world. Charming? Yeah. Sexy? You BET! But kind, gentle, honest, and loyal? No way. And why would we WANT him that way? It's his very BAD self that we love, in spite of ourselves. Why would we turn that sexy rogue into a housecat?

I say we should let Terry and The Stranger remain polar opposites, as written by their creators, and as
played by Gerry
. After all, he gave each of those characters a completely different personality, right down to the way they walk. I'm for lovin' each one of them for his OWN sake, and not trying to combine them into one amorphous person. And to me, THAT seems very basic. Brain surgery aside.

Just my opinion, of course, but that's the way I see it, even if I'm a lone voice in the wilderness, here.

Marcia

It really is very basic you don't have to be a brain surgeon.
Just my opinion, of course, but that's the way I see it, even if I'm a lone voice in the wilderness, here.

Marcia

I have been reading the posts in this thread and felt compelled to put my 2 cents worth in.

First of all, Marcia, you are not a lone voice in the wilderness. I agree with practically everything you have posted on this subject.

While it is probably fun to imagine different scenarios regarding the characters of Terry and The Stranger for some of you, the fun stops at the mere suggestion for me. It is a total compliment to Gerry that he can successfully create each character as perfectly as he does. Terry is charming, cute, funny and sexy but we can not forget that he was a very BAD boy. His greed totally overpowered him and he was going to kill Lara so there is no doubt that she should have killed him. I can not believe that his character could have turned into the kind and gentle person that The Stranger is.

There is no brain surgery needed to see that Terry would not be able to become the kind of guy that The Stranger is. He took on the challenge of becoming Frankie's Da for a day at first because his sister asked him to and then after hearing Lizzie's story he agreed. Yes, he took money but remember what he used it for and then he gave it back. He was the one that wanted to be with them the second day after he and Frankie had such a wonderful day. Whatever pain he had experienced in his past is probably what helped him be the kind of person needed to become Frankie's Da and react the way he did after Lizzie explained how Frankie became deaf. As far as him being mysterious, we need to remember that Lizzie requestd, no past, no present and no future and he was following her wishes.

I personally can not imagine that Terry would have ever been rehabilitated to the point of feeling the compassion that The Stranger feels. It was not evident to me that Terry had any deep feelings except the greed that led to him being killed in the end.

In my opinion Gerry did a masterful job of playing both of these characters as they should have been, totallly separate guys.

Here's me climbing down from my soapbox!! This is probably the longest post I have ever sent as I am TOTALLY CRAZY FOR THE STRANGER!!!!

:inlove:

Barb L
Edited by barbl

In my opinion Gerry did a masterful job of playing both of these characters as they should have been, totallly separate guys.

Here's me climbing down from my soapbox!! This is probably the longest post I have ever sent as I am TOTALLY CRAZY FOR THE STRANGER!!!!

:inlove:

Barb L

Hi, Barb! It's amazing, isn't it, the PASSION Gerry inspires in us over each of his characters. Some of us don't want to see them die and will resurrect them by any means possible, and others, like you and I, are so impressed by Gerry's ability to create completely different, distinct and unique people that we don't want anyone messing with the perfection he has given us.

I agree with you absolutely that Gerry did a masterful job with these two, especially . It is easier to make a different LOOKING character, like the Phantom or a VAMPIRE, stand out as a unique creation. It takes much more skill to take two men who resemble each other superficially, like Terry & The Stranger, and give each of them a one of a kind personality. There is NO DOUBT when you look at images of Terry vs The Stranger which one you are looking at, even with the similar hair styles and clothes. When you watch them move...when you hear them speak...each is a separate entity. Not even having the same Scottish accent makes them more alike. Every fiber of Terry's body, bearing, manner and voice says he's a cool, cocky, sexy, swaggering, ne'er do well and selfish, though charming, cad.

And with The Stranger, every movement, every gesture, every expression, every spoken line tells you this is a naturally quiet, reserved, gentle, GENEROUS and GOOD man, who has been hurt by someone in his life, and who is afraid to trust anyone else again. A simple man, with no obvious desire for more than what life has dealt him. A man who is comfortable spending an afternoon with a nine year old boy, teaching him to skip rocks across the water. A man who recognizes hurt and loneliness in someone else. AND...and this impresses me most of all about The Stranger...a man who is comfortable letting LIZZIE decide if she wants to see him again, and who walks away, hoping she'll contact him, but not knowing if she will. He is a man who is okay giving HER the right to make that decision. Terry Sheridan? I think not.

It seems to me that if we could easily interchange the two men, it would imply Gerry failed at his job of creating two distinctly different characters. I don't think he DID fail. I think these two men are polar opposites and never even come close to being the same person. Gerry did too good a job for that idea to work for me.

But what amazes me MOST is that we are even having this discussion. Our shared love of this actor and his work is astounding. Our Gerry DOES make us think and ponder these people he creates, does he not?

Hugs,

Marcia

Let me add this. I think it is apparent that probably Gerry enjoyed playing The Stranger. It shows in his performance. In a lengthy discussion we had recently we concluded that the differences bwt TS and TS ( how's that for confusion) was the length of the leather jackets!

That fairly much supports what barbi posted.

Perfect descriptions of both men. Amazing that such diversity can be created by an actor. So many actors we seem to have these days just keep recreating the same roles but only with different names. I think it's part of the reason why people have a hard time remembering that Gerry is the same person. I've heard the comment more than once, "That can't be the same person." And yet it is.

All right. Firmly on the side now that those two characters cannot ever be one in the same.

Ma Nature. I am :swoon: over your two descriptions of Terry and The Stranger. So different and yet, I still want to jump them both. Oops, sorry did I say that out loud? I'm not in Over 18.

Let me rephrase. I would love to sit down with both men and enjoy a caffinated beverage and have a respectable conversation with them.

:rotflmao::rotflmao: Even I don't believe that load.

Let me add this. I think it is apparent that probably Gerry enjoyed playing The Stranger. It shows in his performance. In a lengthy discussion we had recently we concluded that the differences bwt TS and TS ( how's that for confusion) was the length of the leather jackets!

Marianne, I agree that Gerry seems to have enjoyed playing The Stranger. I also get the impression he's more proud of Dear Frankie than anything else he's done...well, at that point in his career, anyway. However, I don't think Barb L meant that the only difference between the TS's is the length of their leather jackets. Far from it...I think she is agreeing with me that the two men could not possibly BE more different.

Barb? What say you? Anything more to add to this interesting discussion?

Marcia

:mopboystranger:

Perfect descriptions of both men. Amazing that such diversity can be created by an actor. So many actors we seem to have these days just keep recreating the same roles but only with different names. I think it's part of the reason why people have a hard time remembering that Gerry is the same person. I've heard the comment more than once, "That can't be the same person." And yet it is.

All right. Firmly on the side now that those two characters cannot ever be one in the same.

Ma Nature. I am :swoon: over your two descriptions of Terry and The Stranger. So different and yet, I still want to jump them both. Oops, sorry did I say that out loud? I'm not in Over 18.

Let me rephrase. I would love to sit down with both men and enjoy a caffinated beverage and have a respectable conversation with them.

Hiya, Discoveringme...I'm happy you think I described the two men well. I love both of the characters, and really feel a connection to the way Gerry portrayed them.

You are so right about many actors playing the same role over and over again. And even when they do a halfway DECENT job of taking on a new part, you are often STILL aware of who you are watching. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, etc. (Not that I will any longer PAY to see him be ANYONE, but that's another topic). Gerry is much more like a Daniel Day-Lewis, who is possibly the best actor in the world and certainly the biggest chameleon in film. When I watch Gerry in a movie, within five minutes, I have lost the sense that it IS Gerry...he has BECOME the character to me, and they are ALL separate from who he really is. It isn't even so much that he looks different, though he can certainly do that. It's that he IS different. He becomes the role, down to each and every mannerism. And he's getting better and better at keeping "Gerry" in check, and letting the "character" run free.

"All right. Firmly on the side now that those two characters cannot ever be one in the same. "

Hahahahaha...I won a CONVERT!!! Hey, Barb...looky! Discovering me is now a THIRD voice in the wilderness, alongside you and I!!! So glad you see what Barb and I mean. We aren't trying to be argumentative at all...just truly feeling that Terry & The Stranger are East & West, and never the twain shall meet. And I think Barb and I both agree that's how GERRY meant it to be. And dang it...he did a superb job of it, too, so why mess with it, eh?

So glad my descriptions made you want to swooooon.....I sometimes do that to my OWN self! Hahahaha! I DO love to expound and you may find you have to slap me down once in awhile to keep me under control!! Words! I just LOVE 'em!

As for jumping their bones...if you could have heard what I was rambling about all last weekend during my two-day Phantom Phest Chick Flick Movie-a-thon, you would REEEALLY be headed for the Over 18 forum. :lalala: I was IN A MOOD, let me tell ya! The fantasies were running rampant! (Nothing involving weird stuff, like say, a gorilla suit and container of cream cheese, but still...for a matron of my age, pretty wild!)

:bouncydrool:

As for having a caffeinated beverage with either of these hotties, just be sure to make it "an Americain...strong."

Oh, ain't Life better with GERRY in it???

Hugs,

Marcia (a decidedly WICKED lady in Matron Mode)

Hiya, Discoveringme...I'm happy you think I described the two men well. I love both of the characters, and really feel a connection to the way Gerry portrayed them.

You are so right about many actors playing the same role over and over again. And even when they do a halfway DECENT job of taking on a new part, you are often STILL aware of who you are watching. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise, etc. (Not that I will any longer PAY to see him be ANYONE, but that's another topic). Gerry is much more like a Daniel Day-Lewis, who is possibly the best actor in the world and certainly the biggest chameleon in film. When I watch Gerry in a movie, within five minutes, I have lost the sense that it IS Gerry...he has BECOME the character to me, and they are ALL separate from who he really is. It isn't even so much that he looks different, though he can certainly do that. It's that he IS different. He becomes the role, down to each and every mannerism. And he's getting better and better at keeping "Gerry" in check, and letting the "character" run free.

"All right. Firmly on the side now that those two characters cannot ever be one in the same. "

Hahahahaha...I won a CONVERT!!! Hey, Barb...looky! Discovering me is now a THIRD voice in the wilderness, alongside you and I!!! So glad you see what Barb and I mean. We aren't trying to be argumentative at all...just truly feeling that Terry & The Stranger are East & West, and never the twain shall meet. And I think Barb and I both agree that's how GERRY meant it to be. And dang it...he did a superb job of it, too, so why mess with it, eh?

So glad my descriptions made you want to swooooon.....I sometimes do that to my OWN self! Hahahaha! I DO love to expound and you may find you have to slap me down once in awhile to keep me under control!! Words! I just LOVE 'em!

As for jumping their bones...if you could have heard what I was rambling about all last weekend during my two-day Phantom Phest Chick Flick Movie-a-thon, you would REEEALLY be headed for the Over 18 forum. :lalala: I was IN A MOOD, let me tell ya! The fantasies were running rampant! (Nothing involving weird stuff, like say, a gorilla suit and container of cream cheese, but still...for a matron of my age, pretty wild!)

:bouncydrool:

As for having a caffeinated beverage with either of these hotties, just be sure to make it "an Americain...strong."

Oh, ain't Life better with GERRY in it???

Hugs,

Marcia (a decidedly WICKED lady in Matron Mode)

You know I didn't find Terry Sheridan that difficult to understand as a Scotsman. Yeah he was a trained marine but something went wrong. I have to view the movie again to see what turned him into a mercinary. It happened these men have the skills the courage the zest for adventure but Terry for some reason wanted to win and he was going to do what ever it took to for once in his life not be pushed or ordered around he was too much of a man for that. He threatened, he was in a game with Lara only the out come was the human race. Lets say he does survive (by now Lara has found Brad Pitt) and she is temporially distracted. He makes his get away and finally gets to Scotland and the breezes off the River Clyde pull him in, give him a feeling of coming home to his people, Scots. He likes the feeling and would like it to continue. Stage right Lizzie Morrison and family. People can change, I don't think Terry was a physcopath, just disalusioned on the road of life. Jumping them both crossed my mind also because I was looking at more than his a-- Do you have spell check on here??? I'm not a techie

You know I didn't find Terry Sheridan that difficult to understand as a Scotsman. Yeah he was a trained marine but something went wrong. I have to view the movie again to see what turned him into a mercinary. It happened these men have the skills the courage the zest for adventure but Terry for some reason wanted to win and he was going to do what ever it took to for once in his life not be pushed or ordered around he was too much of a man for that. He threatened, he was in a game with Lara only the out come was the human race. Lets say he does survive (by now Lara has found Brad Pitt) and she is temporially distracted. He makes his get away and finally gets to Scotland and the breezes off the River Clyde pull him in, give him a feeling of coming home to his people, Scots. He likes the feeling and would like it to continue. Stage right Lizzie Morrison and family. People can change, I don't think Terry was a physcopath, just disalusioned on the road of life. Jumping them both crossed my mind also because I was looking at more than his a-- Do you have spell check on here??? I'm not a techie

Well, as I said in my first response to you, NYGal, I don't buy it. Yep, people can change to a degree, but you don't go from a completely selfish mercenary to a kind, gentle man in the blink of an eye, or even because you got shot. Terry had many chances to change, and as Lara pointed out, he always made the wrong choices. And the whole point of my thoughts on this is just what you said...he was willing to sacrifice the entire human race. A man who is willing to do that doesn't suddenly become Mr. Nice Guy. He was willing to KILL LARA, too, for Pete's sake. Terry's a BAD BOY. Sexy but BAD. Through and through.

Besides, The Stranger has his OWN back story. You can see it written all over him.

I reckon we all have our fantasies, and it's all good. But for me, (and at least TWO others posting here, yay!) Terry is the perfect scoundrel and the Stranger is the perfect gentleman, and Gerry worked hard to portray them as two unique individuals. I think he succeeded. To lump them together would mean Gerry failed at what he was trying to do, and I don't buy that, either.

Again, just my thoughts,

Marcia

You know I didn't find Terry Sheridan that difficult to understand as a Scotsman.

Maybe I missed something in my very addled Gerry brain. Verra easy to do these days. :pant: I have no problem with somehow believing that Terry Sheridan could have somehow survived and made his way back to Scotland. I just don't think given his mercinary nature he could have become The Stranger.

But, let's face it. In the world of Hollyweird, stranger things have been known to happen. Maybe Lara was having a dream and Terry ended up being in her shower. :lol::lol: (You know how old you are if you know what I'm referring to!!)

I just keep thinking that being that the characters seem to have a different soul, you know, their very core, I don't see them crossing. BTW - Did we ever hear what actually happened with Terry ending up in prison there other than he somehow betrayed his men? I lose track of everything when the "boat scene" happens so I'm never completely sure...

Hey, ain't it fun that we can debate something that we will never know the answer too? I love it!! :inlove:

Another "chameleon" type of actor that I just love is Jim Cavieziel. (sp) I just think he is amazing but he doesn't make my hormones jump off the scale like Gerry does!!

Edited by discoveringme

You know I didn't find Terry Sheridan that difficult to understand as a Scotsman.

Maybe I missed something in my very addled Gerry brain. Verra easy to do these days. :pant: I have no problem with somehow believing that Terry Sheridan could have somehow survived and made his way back to Scotland. I just don't think given his mercinary nature he could have become The Stranger.

But, let's face it. In the world of Hollyweird, stranger things have been known to happen. Maybe Lara was having a dream and Terry ended up being in her shower. :lol::lol: (You know how old you are if you know what I'm referring to!!)

I just keep thinking that being that the characters seem to have a different soul, you know, their very core, I don't see them crossing. BTW - Did we ever hear what actually happened with Terry ending up in prison there other than he somehow betrayed his men? I lose track of everything when the "boat scene" happens so I'm never completely sure...

Hey, ain't it fun that we can debate something that we will never know the answer too? I love it!! :inlove:

Another "chameleon" type of actor that I just love is Jim Cavieziel. (sp) I just think he is amazing but he doesn't make my hormones jump off the scale like Gerry does!!

Discovering Me, you are MY kinda gal!! You hit the nail on the head that The Stranger and Terry Sheridan do not share the same soul. Not even close. And I'm with you that I could see resurrecting Terry...would LOVE to see him in action once again! But let him be HIMSELF. That Bad Boy we all know we should stay away from but absolutely can't resist! He's perfect in his own right as the most charming scoundrel to grace the screen in a long, long time.

And let our beloved, kind and gentle, rock-skipping, slouchy-walkin', longshoreman of a Stranger stay just as HE is...a man with sad eyes and a kind heart. I love him like that SO much!

I like your plan for bringing Terry back, btw...Lara wakes up in the shower :coldshower: (or maybe it was the tub :prescription: ) and there he is...AAAALLLLLL of him!

:bouncydrool3:

The whole cave scene was a really BAD dream, and OH, happy day! They still have boat-lovin' and upside down rope slidin' times ahead of them! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!! Maybe this time, Terry will be smarter...more than just another pretty face!

:terrymuscles:

One can only hope!!

BTW, Terry is in prison for "betraying his country" in addition to his men. He was apparently in a position to sell something to The Enemy and the government has prosecuted him. Again, what always does him in...GREED with a capital G. Pure and simple.

I vote for bringing Terry back, but keeping him TERRY! I like his BAD self! (But I LOOOOOOVE the Stranger, second only to my soulmate, The Phantom).

Hugs,

Marcia

PS...I definitely remember the waking up in the shower thing! I've only seen Jim Caviezal once, though, so can't judge his chameleon ability yet.

Discovering Me, you are MY kinda gal!! You hit the nail on the head that The Stranger and Terry Sheridan do not share the same soul. Not even close. And I'm with you that I could see resurrecting Terry...would LOVE to see him in action once again! But let him be HIMSELF. That Bad Boy we all know we should stay away from but absolutely can't resist! He's perfect in his own right as the most charming scoundrel to grace the screen in a long, long time.

And such a lovely bad boy. :swoon:

The whole cave scene was a really BAD dream, and OH, happy day! They still have boat-lovin' and upside down rope slidin' times ahead of them! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!! Maybe this time, Terry will be smarter...more than just another pretty face!

:terrymuscles:

See, now you're talkin'!!

BTW, Terry is in prison for "betraying his country" in addition to his men. He was apparently in a position to sell something to The Enemy and the government has prosecuted him. Again, what always does him in...GREED with a capital G. Pure and simple.

:doh: I knew that. I think I need to go watch it again to refresh my bad memory......

Marianneevans,

I just want to go on record that I think the characters of Terry Sheridan and The Stranger are FAR more different than the length of the leather jackets!!! Not sure how you got a different impression from my previous post.

These two men are so very different from the soul right on out. While Terry is very sexy and charming, he most assuredly does not have any of the wonderful compassion and other attributes that The Stranger has.

Barb L