Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
framolamdu

12/2 - Gerard Butler to Receive Variety's International Star of The Year

http://www.examiner.com/x-30536-Gerard-But...-the-Year-Award

It's been a banner year for Gerard Butler and the hits just keep on coming. The Dubai Film Festival unveiled their line-up for this year's event and revealed that Butler will receive Variety's International Star of the Year award at the 2009 event. The festival runs from December 9 - 16.

Past recipients of the award include British actors Jude Law and Hugh Grant.

The Scottish-born actor saw three films in cinemas this year with Sony's The Ugly Truth, Lionsgate's Gamer and Overture Films' Law Abiding Citizen, the first film from Butler's production company Evil Twins.

In 2010, his new releases include the Dreamworks animated film How To Train Your Dragon and The Bounty, co-starring Jennifer Aniston.

Butler is also scheduled to begin work on the film adaptation of Shakespeare's Coriolanus in March 2010. The movie is Ralph Fiennes' directorial debut and is also predicted to star Vanessa Redgrave and William Hurt. Fiennes will portray the title character and Butler will star opposite as Tullus Aufidius.

He was also just recently named the first ambassador for the Glasgow Film Office.

The Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) is the leading film festival in the Middle East, Asia and Africa. Since its inception in 2004, the festival has served as an influential platform for Arab filmmakers and talent at an international level, by spearheading the cinema movement in the region.

:wow2::fans::woohoo:

YAHOO! HEAPS of well-earned and way-overdue CONGRATULATIONS to OUR MAN!!! The world is finally recognizing you for the talented, and lovable genius that you are.

:yo:

I just hope someday America will get their heads out of their butts and honor him for all his hard work and of course his giving of himself so selflessly to his fans all over the world!

:wave: Frannie

Now THAT we agree on! I have my opinions, but this isn't the place for it.

Gerry only deserves good things and accolades for his career and talent. This is only the beginning ...

:pointy:

Congratulations to Gerard!!!!!

I'm very happy for him, his versatility and brilliant talent always shine on the screen!!!!!!

It's well-deserved!!!!!!

Josée

I just hope someday America will get their heads out of their butts and honor him for all his hard work and of course his giving of himself so selflessly to his fans all over the world!

:wave: Frannie

Now THAT we agree on! I have my opinions, but this isn't the place for it.

Gerry only deserves good things and accolades for his career and talent. This is only the beginning ...

Congratulations, Gerry! With the latest award Gerry has gotten, I am still wrestling with mentioning the thought of a Star on the Walk of Fame for our Ger. I guess I just lost the match. I decided to mention it again. Some stars I have read about have bought their own. Knowing how Gerry is, I think he would rather die than do this for himself. It would be like buying yourself your own birthday present. Besides, it would not mean much if it didn't come from his fans. For gosh sakes, he has nearly run himself ragged and has been injured many times trying to make the movies we all expect of him. Finally, he is getting his just rewards. Aren't we glad we backed a winner? Remember when not many even knew his name but still thought he was the most beautiful man to come along in a long time. Still is. I call him beautiful because beauty comes from not only the outside but, more important, the inside. He appreciates his fans and his blessings.

Just something to think about. I mentioned it before and was told he was not ready, yet. Don't mean to start anything, just my opinion that he certainly deserves one if anyone does. I know these are really hard times and money is hard to come by but, he has kept a lot of us going through many rough times. I know he has been there to take my mind off of my troubles when I really needed something to help me through the really hard and lonely times. I still need the Phantom and he is still there.

I don't write as much with all that has been going on in my life, but that doesn't mean I care for him or GALS any less. I keep you all in my prayers. Honestly, I do! This is something that does not have to be the No. 1 priority but, I think, we should start thinking about it. Would be nice to see it one day. It would probably be the closest to him I would ever get besides getting to put on his Phantom cape while I was in Vegas. That was a real thrill for me.

Thank you GALS for all of your hard work and to my sister GALS, Love to All.

God Bless, Grace and Peace,

Lady Yvonne <><

Hi Yvonne

It would be nice to think he is on his way to getting one. Is it still $25,000 for a star or has it gone up?.

Noticed Gerry is on Dubai Film Festival schedule on 15 Dec @ 1700hrs in First Group Theatre for a 45 min "In Conversation" with Variety. For anyone able to attend tickets are on sale for 25dhs. Enjoy and get plenty of pics for us.

http://www.dubaifilmfest.com/schedule_2009.php?day=15

Moira

Hi Yvonne

It would be nice to think he is on his way to getting one. Is it still $25,000 for a star or has it gone up?.

Noticed Gerry is on Dubai Film Festival schedule on 15 Dec @ 1700hrs in First Group Theatre for a 45 min "In Conversation" with Variety. For anyone able to attend tickets are on sale for 25dhs. Enjoy and get plenty of pics for us.

Moira

This is a combined reply to Moira and Lady Yvonne:

Can you please explain how this star thing works? I thought that some film industry assciation gave it to an actor in appreciation of his / her work and contribution. The fact that you can actually buy it yourself is news to me and frankly it sounds pathetic, buying your own star. I agree that Gerry would rather die than do that. Are you suggesting that a large group of fans can also collect the money and buy it for him? I think Gerry would rather have the fans give the money to one of his favourite charities instead. JMHO.

I do agree that it would be a nice recognition to have his own star, but he really needs a couple more good films before that. But he is getting there. And there would be a point to that if the industry gave it to him, I think.

As for Dubai, I know a lot of people in Greece go to Dubai for a holiday this time of year. It's not too far or too expensive. This broken leg of mine is determined to keep me away from Gerry. Another missed opportunity. Ah well, one can hope and dream on... :-)

Theresa

"The Industry" doesn't award stars. The 'star association' (:p I don't remember the official name) authorizes whether someone is eligible to have a star placed. It costs $25000 for installation and maintenance. Anybody can then offer the funds - the star, the fans, relatives, co-workers, etc. The star has to accept the honor before it can happen. It is basically a publicity event for the star and Hollywood business owners.

Until Gerry gives some indication that he's dying for a star on Hollywood Blvd. (and there are dozens, many commemorating careers nobody remembers today), I agree that any money would be better spent going to one of his charities. I just think it's an empty gesture until his films generate awards themselves. (And I think they are often arranged by studios to garner publicity for an upcoming film release in which the 'star' is appearing.)

jane

Edited by Jeb

Hi Yvonne

Moira

Hi Moira,

It is wonderful news about the Variety International Man of the Year award for Gerry and the other recognition and attention he has been given this year. However did you by any chance read an article in Sunday's Herald by a Brian Pendreigh saying a lot of acerbic critics were trying to promote him for the Razzie's Award for bad performances,movies in 2009? Does anyone in our group know anything about the Razzies - are they tongue in cheek or can they be taken seriously? A lot of the critics who gave bad reviews seemed annoyed that the public went along anyway to see the films for themselves and they did good box office in spite of them - perhaps 'Gamer' was not so popular but then it was for a certain adience.

Any thoughts on this development?

Mirin

Mirin, things like the Razzis are just someone else's opinions and really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. They won't affect Gerry's career, nor our love and support of him. I think some people just can't handle that it seems like Gerry came out of nowhere and is now wildly popular. I liken them to Mr. Blackwell's Worst Dressed List - nothing to be taken seriously.

But that's just me.

"The Industry" doesn't award stars. The 'star association' (:p I don't remember the official name) authorizes whether someone is eligible to have a star placed. It costs $25000 for installation and maintenance. Anybody can then offer the funds - the star, the fans, relatives, co-workers, etc. The star has to accept the honor before it can happen. It is basically a publicity event for the star and Hollywood business owners.

Until Gerry gives some indication that he's dying for a star on Hollywood Blvd. (and there are dozens, many commemorating careers nobody remembers today), I agree that any money would be better spent going to one of his charities. I just think it's an empty gesture until his films generate awards themselves. (And I think they are often arranged by studios to garner publicity for an upcoming film release in which the 'star' is appearing.)

jane

I had no idea. Thanks for the info. If this is how it is, it sounds rather stupid to me. Let's focus our energy to some decent awards. :-)

Theresa

The Raspberries are meant to be tongue in cheek for the most part. Hallie Berry actually showed up to accept her award. There have been a lot of good actors who have gotten a Raspberry.

When bothers me is that there is a perception that Gerry’s has been in flops when that is not the case at all. PS I Love You, The Ugly Truth and Law Abiding Citizen have all been profitable. The critics adore Clive Owen (I like him too!) but the man can’t buy a hit. They used to have a box office poison list and a lot of well known actors would definitely be on that list but Gerry would not. It’s usually the smart industry media insiders, folks that work for The Hollywood Reporter and Variety that understand Gerry is successful, which is why Variety is giving him an award.

Film critics by and large are an insular group who watch films together in screening rooms and read old Pauline Kael reviews; they don’t have a clue how to evaluate a movie’s entertainment value to general movie audiences.

The Raspberries are meant to be tongue in cheek for the most part. Hallie Berry actually showed up to accept her award. There have been a lot of good actors who have gotten a Raspberry.

When bothers me is that there is a perception that Gerry’s has been in flops when that is not the case at all. PS I Love You, The Ugly Truth and Law Abiding Citizen have all been profitable. The critics adore Clive Owen (I like him too!) but the man can’t buy a hit. They used to have a box office poison list and a lot of well known actors would definitely be on that list but Gerry would not. It’s usually the smart industry media insiders, folks that work for The Hollywood Reporter and Variety that understand Gerry is successful, which is why Variety is giving him an award.

Film critics by and large are an insular group who watch films together in screening rooms and read old Pauline Kael reviews; they don’t have a clue how to evaluate a movie’s entertainment value to general movie audiences.

Right on, Rubee!!!

I especially loved, Film critics by and large are an insular group who watch films together in screening rooms and read old Pauline Kael reviews; they don’t have a clue how to evaluate a movie’s entertainment value to general movie audiences.

Fansites of the world unite and offer CRITICS our own version of a Razzi since they can't seem to identify films that people go to see and which ones they won't. :D

jane

Mirin

The Razzies were formed to counteract the Oscars and I think are held around about the same time. Like Rubee said Halle Berry did show up for hers with her Oscar in tow and said her mum taught her in order to accept praise she had to be able to accept criticism. It was a hilarious speech and i believe not many winners show for obvious reasons but good on her. While actors would prefer not to be nominated its not like it will end a career. If anything they may be trying to tell Gerry he was overexposed this year.

I'm sure Gerry will take it in good stride and know that at least the kind people at Variety appreciate his talent by giving him International Star of The Year Award at DIFF :yay:

Moira

Wow you guys are way more knowledgeable than I am. :lol: I still pay them no attention whatsoever, but how awesome for Halle Berry to show up for hers!

I guess I've never been the type to listen nor care what critics say about movies or my favorite actors. I don't respect their opinions. And honestly, winning an Oscar means nothing to me either. Someone can win an Oscar for a particular performance and then do absolute crap afterwards.

I'm happy with Gerry's success so far. I've said before that I think it's better for him to take things slow, work his way up, which he's doing. I'm just along for the ride.

I've been meaning to post this ... in my google alerts I've noticed that the jockey Gerard Butler is also racing in Dubai this week. :lmao: I just think that's so ironic!

Let's just hope the right one turns up for the Variety award! :D

jane

Guest Kyriem

Fansites of the world unite and offer CRITICS our own version of a Razzi since they can't seem to identify films that people go to see and which ones they won't. :D

jane

I'm in!!! ;)

Guest Kyriem

This broken leg of mine is determined to keep me away from Gerry. Another missed opportunity. Ah well, one can hope and dream on... :-)

Theresa

OT, I'm sorry for your leg Theresa!! I hope you will recover soon!! :wave:

I have been so busy! I need to catch up on my Gerry news! WOW! Another honor for Gerry! He deserves all the recognition!