Gerard Butler GALS

Charity Presentation

The following is an e-mail I just received from Susan about the Charity. I am so very touched and again applaud each and every one of you GALS!

Hi Dayna

I only have a few minutes to send a message before running back to the room to get ready for our Burns Night celebration.

The trip to SYT was wonderful. We got a tour of the entire facility - all of it videotaped by Muse, on my new camera. We took photos, the SYT people took photos. Mark got a quote from Gerry just this morning which he was going to email to you. In case you haven't received it yet here is what he said:

"Scottish Youth Theatre provides a unique opportunity for young people across Scotland and is a stepping stone to the unimaginable. It all begins by taking part.

Besides having the time of my life as a fifteen year old participant in Scottish Youth Theatre's Summer Festival in 1985, I would never have guessed that 21 years later I would be in Canada playing the role of the Spartan King Leonidas in Zach Snyder's film 300!

It is amazing that as the result of what I do I am in a position, through the generosity and support of fansites like the GALS, to benefit Scottish Youth Theatre and the work it has done with young Scots for 30 years."

We met 6 of the kids who are coming to NYC as part of the Tartan Week celebrations to premiere their newest production. We got a big packet of information which I will scan for the site. The facility is amazing - many professional theatre companies would be envious. There are still many things for them to do so the money is well invested. The kids were excited to get GALS buttons, and I gave Mark a GBU cap from our GALS Cafe Press too. I told them the story of what Gerry did for Bethy, as an example of why we fans are so devoted to him. One of the boys asked if guys could be GALS too and I told him the guys are called PALS and he thought that was cool. Some of the kids will probably be checking out the site (the youngest we met was 17, the oldest around Jen's age, so not real young'uns, though most had been involved in SYT since around age 5).

We got to meet the widow of Gene Kelly and tell her we had just visited the real Brigadoon yesterday. She is young, beautiful, and very nice.

I can't wait to get home and download all of the video. It is probably huge, I'm thinking we have at least an hour videotaped including the presentation of the check. When asked who was going to take the check the 17 year old girl piped up loud and clear that she would, so she is the one actually holding the presentation check, though Mark took the real check. I gave them a page I had printed with our site banner and the siggy I used for the charity drive.

I can't wait to have internet access for longer than a few minutes at a time!

Hugs

Susan

:thankyou: Susan for that most excellent report!

:hugs:

Dr. Em

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the email. Sounds like Susan is having a fabulous time! Jennifer

Edited by jph

Oh Susan, what an awesome update. I have been starving for some posting from you. Gerry's comment, in keeping with his all-around amazing self, is just a blessing. The youth sound like great kids. I'd love to meet them at Tartan Week. Kids have such infectious enthusiasm for the treats in life that bring them joy.

Lisa

Oh Susan, what an awesome update. I have been starving for some posting from you. Gerry's comment, in keeping with his all-around amazing self, is just a blessing. The youth sound like great kids. I'd love to meet them at Tartan Week. Kids have such infectious enthusiasm for the treats in life that bring them joy.

Lisa

That is absolutely so WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you Barb for keeping me up to date even though I haven't been able to visit my favorite Gerry sites lately I really do appreciate the emails! I cannot WAIT to see the pictures and video from this trip!! :)

Hugs to you all,

Lisa

That is absolutely so WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you Barb for keeping me up to date even though I haven't been able to visit my favorite Gerry sites lately I really do appreciate the emails! I cannot WAIT to see the pictures and video from this trip!! :)

Hugs to you all,

Lisa

Lisa, how are you????? I am missing my CT GALS & Tarts verra much. We need a day of fun and lovin on Gerry. I did a ton more pages in our Gerry Scrapbook thanks to Barb's donation of photos. How is your family?

Lisa

Edited by Adoring

HEY from another CT tart!

This update absolutely made my day! Thanks to Susan for the news and to Dr. Em for posting it! I am so happy...*doing jig of joy* I also can't wait for Tartan Week in NYC; it will be a veritable blast. And if the rest of you CT GALS want to set aside a special day of Gerry-esque fun and love, count me in!

Much love,

Christine

HEY from another CT tart!

This update absolutely made my day! Thanks to Susan for the news and to Dr. Em for posting it! I am so happy...*doing jig of joy* I also can't wait for Tartan Week in NYC; it will be a veritable blast. And if the rest of you CT GALS want to set aside a special day of Gerry-esque fun and love, count me in!

Much love,

Christine

Christine - we can't wait to meet you. You are going to love all of us because we have such a good time, at Gerry's expense of course. Our gatherings are momentous occasions to be sure. I suppose I should post something over on the "other" board. Any suggestions?

LisaV

I am so thrilled with this, and what a wonderful presentation by our own Susan, who seems quite adept at networking. It would be lovely if GALS could continue our support of this school, perhaps even fund a scholarship in Gerry's name for kids who cannot afford to attend. I am so glad that he is aware that we did this out of our love and respect for him, and that he has acknowledged our little site (little... hummmph, growing like crazy!)

Again thank you to Dayna, Susan and everyone who made this possible. I am so proud!

Swan

Wow this is so great!! I can only sneak in a couple of minutes at a time... but every time I do it seems as if there is more good news. It sounds like Susan is having a good time there, and I am so glad that she took the time to do this, she is such an awesome ambassator for Gals! ( yes Dawn I probably spelled that wrong hehe, but sure hope she knows what I mean) ::D: And the cherry on my little cake today is that Gerry seems to be proud of us too!!!

Dr. Em and all you Mods have a good thing here, bringing all us crazy women together!! My hats off to all of you! ( well you know it would be if I really wore hats) :lol:

LUVS Toni

Thank you Dr. Em for posting Susan's wonderful email about her trip to the children's theatre and their obvious delight in our interest in their growth and progress. Just think, there may be a future Gerry in there somewhere, acting his socks off! This is a good thing the GALS did, yes indeed. And to think that Gerry knew the GALS did it too, is even better. :cheer2:

DebbyD

Wow! How exciting. Thank you Susan and Dr. Em for the updates. I am anxious to see the pictures.

:clap::clap: Thanks for quickly sharing the message from Susan! Gerry's message was so classy. :inlove:

He's so fine!

Thanks again to Susan for representing us GALS!

Songbird

:clap: Dr. Em, thank you so much for keeping us posted on everything and also for the opportunity to participate in such an awesome charity. :clap:

I would do anything for Gerry. And the message he sent along, that is so.....

him!! Can't wait for the pictures. ::D:

Hi! I am a new GALS member and am planning to go the Tartan Day Parade in NYC. It kicks off at 2:00 in the afternoon. I believe it starts at W. 44th at 6th Avenue and goes up to 58th. I've checked the official Tartan Week website and it only lists a few events.No mention of SYT coming over or anything--does anyone know where else to go to on the web to get info? I know about the Scottish exhibit inn Vanderbilt Hall at Grand Central but that's about it/ Thank for your help.

madsewer1

WOW! Susan! This is great news! :yippee:

Thank you for being there and representing the entire GALS web site! :clap:

I can't wait to see all the footage you captured!

This is so exciting! Wish I was there, too! :cheer:

Gerry even got in contact with Mark this Wednesday morning.....WOW! WOW!

A little birdie must have told him about the presentation today!

He even mentioned GALS......I am on cloud 9 I tell you! :headspin:

By the way, is Mark the director or owner of the Scottish Youth Theater?

Thank you, thank you GALS one and all for making this happen!!! :clap:

Edited by zanyzombie

Here is the e-mail and pic I got from Mark of SYT (he is a cheeky wee monkey!):

Hi Dayna,

It all went extremely well! The GALS were great and I hope had a lot of fun, I know we did. The young people involved had a fantastic time throughout!

I have attached a Gerry’s quote which is very nice indeed and I have also attached a photo of us all. You have a treat in store with the video footage taking so enjoy!

The crazy thing is the GALS went to the Chinese restaurant the other night that just so happens to be below my flat in Glasgow. I hope they don’t go too mad at the Burns Supper – actually I hope they do and have a whale of a time! I reminded them that when they take pictures of men in kilts to make sure they remember to take the picture from underneath!

The GALS also got to meet Mrs Gene Kelly which was funny. She is a wonderful and energetic woman and was extremely interested in the Gals and what they were doing so far from home!

I will email tomorrow with more details as I am about to leave for the day!

Cheers

Mark

Posted Image

Wow, Susan! Thank you for the wonderful report and for being our GALS ambassador. Gerry's message is purrrfect. He is such a caring person that you can't help but love him.

Susan, I'm so glad you and everyone had such fun at SYT. The kids are marvelous, and I envy the CT Tarts and GALS who will be able to attend the Tartan celebrations in NYC and meet these young people.

Dr. Em thanks for update.

Beachie

P.S. Mark is indeed a cheeky monkey! Loved his letter and the picture is outstanding, right click, saved. Hope Susan and the GALs and Tarts have a wonderful 'whale' of a time a Burns tonight.

Edited by givemeabeach

All of this just makes me so happy - see? I'm glowing! :inlove:

It's so great to finally hear about the presentation and the fun the ladies over there are having. Can't wait to see the video and hear more.

Thanks to all the gals who made this charity drive such a happy and humbling experience - your generosity was truly inspiring and heart warming.

Hugs to all!

Beanie

also meant to tell you what a fabulous site this in my first post to the forum. ( I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. ) Everyone sounds so friendly and seems to enjoy hearing from everyone. I hope I get a chance to meet some east GALS tarts at the Tartan day Parade. Is there a meeting place where everyone agrees to meet? I will be bringing a large contingent from Long Island of Gerry fans to help celebrate evreything Scottish!

Madeleine

also meant to tell you what a fabulous site this in my first post to the forum. ( I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. ) Everyone sounds so friendly and seems to enjoy hearing from everyone. I hope I get a chance to meet some east GALS tarts at the Tartan day Parade. Is there a meeting place where everyone agrees to meet? I will be bringing a large contingent from Long Island of Gerry fans to help celebrate evreything Scottish!

Madeleine

Madeleine, glad to have you here GAL!!!! Welcome to this crazy Gerry love site. Join in on all the randy fun.

Lisa

Hi! I am a new GALS member and am planning to go the Tartan Day Parade in NYC. It kicks off at 2:00 in the afternoon. I believe it starts at W. 44th at 6th Avenue and goes up to 58th. I've checked the official Tartan Week website and it only lists a few events.No mention of SYT coming over or anything--does anyone know where else to go to on the web to get info? I know about the Scottish exhibit inn Vanderbilt Hall at Grand Central but that's about it/ Thank for your help.

madsewer1

Madeleine, I want to go to this.