Gerard Butler GALS

12/21 - Susan Boyle and Gerard Butler fight it out for Scot of the Year

becozy

from: http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Susan-Bo...tler.5926898.jp

Susan Boyle and Gerard Butler fight it out for Scot of the Year

SINGING sensation Susan Boyle and Hollywood film star Gerard Butler are set to battle it out to win the crown of 2009 Scot of the Year.

The annual search for the best public figure who has boosted Scotland's profile was launched today, with some less likely figures also making the shortlist.

read the entire article here

This link seems to work (go to the bottom of the page):

http://www.scotscare.com/2009-scot-of-the-year-survey.php.

If not, go to the Scotscare homepage and look for the appropriate box for the voting a little after the beginning of the page.

http://www.scotscare.com/index.php

Theresa

Edited by terezoulini

Gerry or Susan Boyle...? That is tough. Personally, I mean, I just feel in love with Susan Boyle...She has captivated the world over with that voice. I admire her so much and she is living proof that achieving your dreams has no age limit. I could listen to her sing "I Dreamed A Dream" a thousand times and never get sick of it. She is just incredible.

While of course most of us are biased and hope Gerry wins the race, it will be a squeaker......Gerry has put Scotland on the map over a long career which has reached new popular heights in 2009 - bringing a film premiere to Glasgow etc.

But I am just gobsmacked at how many albums Susan has sold already - I am sure this year's crop of American Idols are quite green with envy.

Even my mother knows who Susan Boyle is and she's not quite with it these days.

While of course most of us are biased and hope Gerry wins the race, it will be a squeaker......Gerry has put Scotland on the map over a long career which has reached new popular heights in 2009 - bringing a film premiere to Glasgow etc.

But I am just gobsmacked at how many albums Susan has sold already - I am sure this year's crop of American Idols are quite green with envy.

Even my mother knows who Susan Boyle is and she's not quite with it these days.

But how many people realise she's Scottish (outside the UK) and think more of Scotland or want to visit Scotland because of her? Does she advertise Scotland? Gerry praises Scotland's glory every chance he gets and definitely makes a lot of people more interested in Scotland because of him. He has committed himself to try and promote Scotland in the film industry, bringing money in. He is good for the local economy (think of the fans who went to Glasgow for the premiere, they booked hotels, trains and planes, they went to restaurants etc.). That's why he deserves to win. Although I believe that Susan is promoted, her picture is the first one you see on the site and her name comes first in the voting drop down menu.

Still, even if he doesn't win, being considered is a victory in itself.

Theresa

I do hope Gerry wins because he deserves it for working so hard for so long to get where he is and Susan has just come on the scene lately and still hasn't really paid her dues yet. I think she's a great singer and recording artist but she's limited in what she will be able to do. I don't think she'll ever be able to write songs or act. I believe I read somewhere that she has some sort of learning disability and when she's pushed or given a hectic schedule to maintain, she can't do it. Piers Morgan keeps a pretty close watch over her, I've noticed. I can tell he feels very protective of her. But I like her and think she's just adorable the way she is.

Delene

Susan Boyle is a fantastic ugly duckling story, no doubt. She has a beautiful voice, etc., but I don't see her as a voice for Scotland. Not like Gerry has been lately, and obviously intends to be in the future. I don't think she has brought attention to Scotland as a country to the rest of the world.

But like Lavender said, we're biased. :)

I agree with Theresa - Susan Boyle is seen more as "British" than "Scottish" whereas Gerry is very vocal about being very proudly and specifically Scottish. One cannot deny the incredible story Susan has had this year, but she also seems to be quite overwhelmed about it at times - adding another layer to that of being the face of Scotland in a public way may be more than she could deal with. I personally was very touched by her rendition of I Dreamed a Dream (partly because I adore most of the music from Les Miz), but unfortunately I didn't find myself impressed with her album. I'm amazed (and thrilled for her) that it has done way, WAY more than anyone even anticipated it to do, but after listening to it, I didn't buy it.

Gerry as the ambassador of Scottish film, bringing LAC to Glasgow, and never trying to distance himself from Scotland even though he lives and works in the US most of the time, is a great representative of his country. How many have traveled to Scotland (repeatedly) because of the interest he helped spark in us to actually see the country with our own eyes? :wave::wave::wave:

How many have traveled to Scotland (repeatedly) because of the interest he helped spark in us to actually see the country with our own eyes?[/color] :wave::wave::wave:

I will admit to being one of them. I have family there who invite me every year but I had only been there once and didn't bother much with getting to know the country outside Glasgow. But post GB, I couldn't wait to get back there, I couldn't wait to go to the countryside and the mountains to see for myself what G has been raving about. And guess what, I did discover a fascinating country with wonderful people, very Greek in the warm way they welcome a stranger, and I cannot stop dreaming about it and longing to go back regardless of Gerry. So if this does not prove what he's done for his country, I don't know what does.

Theresa

How many have traveled to Scotland (repeatedly) because of the interest he helped spark in us to actually see the country with our own eyes?[/color] :wave::wave::wave:

I will admit to being one of them. I have family there who invite me every year but I had only been there once and didn't bother much with getting to know the country outside Glasgow. But post GB, I couldn't wait to get back there, I couldn't wait to go to the countryside and the mountains to see for myself what G has been raving about. And guess what, I did discover a fascinating country with wonderful people, very Greek in the warm way they welcome a stranger, and I cannot stop dreaming about it and longing to go back regardless of Gerry. So if this does not prove what he's done for his country, I don't know what does.

Theresa

See there! This is a perfect example of the kind of things the person who receives this title should be doing and I would think a huge one would be promoting tourism. I hope to make it there soon myself and many other places in Europe.

Delene

Scotland is the first place I've ever traveled that far away, and I have been there 3 times now. I certainly agree about the hospitality of the people. I don't think I've ever been anywhere that was so welcoming and where the people would do anything for you. Encountering someone who is less than friendly is the exception to the rule and really stands out on those rare occasions it happens. I worried about traveling abroad because I know a lot of people are anti-American, but that isn't something I ever experienced in Scotland.

A Scot is clearly born in Scotland but what other people should be allowed to claim Scottish as their nationality? Vote for as many as you think should be able to claim Scottishness.

Someone born elsewhere but had lived in Scotland 20 years or more

Someone born elsewhere but living in Scotland and married to a Scot

Someone who has fought in a Scottish regiment

Someone who has Scottish parents

Someone who has Scottish Grandparents

Someone who supports a Scottish football team

Someone investing heavily in Scotland eg Donald Trump

No one other than those born in Scotland

:hmm: I have to wonder if this poll is really about who is the best SCOT OF 2009; or who should be considered a "Real" Scot? I voted for Gerry of course but there seems to be an underlying agenda here...or is it just me?

A Scot is clearly born in Scotland but what other people should be allowed to claim Scottish as their nationality? Vote for as many as you think should be able to claim Scottishness.

:hmm: I have to wonder if this poll is really about who is the best SCOT OF 2009; or who should be considered a "Real" Scot? I voted for Gerry of course but there seems to be an underlying agenda here...or is it just me?

I thought the same really. I'm a lot of things in my family background, Scottish is one of them, however I still tell people that I have Scottish roots, proudly. (Well, until I get dirty looks when I tell them who my ancestors are. Lol.) But I did find that list to be a little strange. I just did what I thought was right and ticked all of them. that way they can't say anything against one or the other.

I thought the same really. I'm a lot of things in my family background, Scottish is one of them, however I still tell people that I have Scottish roots, proudly. (Well, until I get dirty looks when I tell them who my ancestors are. Lol.) But I did find that list to be a little strange. I just did what I thought was right and ticked all of them. that way they can't say anything against one or the other.

Posted ImageI was born in Canada but my grandmother was a Mac Donald and grandfather a Barclay so feel that should be enough Scottish blood to suffice? I marked (having grandparents or parents) but again; does this have anything to do with the vote for best Scot for 2009?