Gerard Butler GALS

Sometimes it takes someone else's failure...

terezoulini

Sometimes it takes someone else's "failure" to realise how well you are doing and how far you've come. We often take things for granted and don't realise how hard it is to achieve the success that we have.

What I am trying to say is that there has been a lot of talk since summer about the box office success of Gerry's three latest films. Well, here's an article about Hugh Grant's and Sarah Jessica Parker's latest film and how it did both with the critics and at the box office. Here we have two extremely talented and popular actors, with Hugh Grant considered the King of Rom Com and quite a worthy one IMO. Still their collaboration did not seem to fare so well with audiences ($7m for the first weekend). It certainly put certain things into perspective for me, it proved how difficult it is to have movies that not only meet their budget but turn out a profit and reminded me how proud we should be of Gerry and how well his films have done.

Theresa

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2009/12/2...ps-few-noticed/

Edited by terezoulini

I've not seen this movie yet but the trailer looked funny. I love HG's dead pan type of humor but I think it may have suffered because everyone was out seeing Avatar. A romcom is going to appeal to a llimited audience while a movie like Avatar has a wide range of viewers, of course.

I believe Gerry's movies did quite well and I'm happy about it. You'd always like to see the figures higher but they weren't so bad, especially LAC. I just hope Gerry had enough money left over after paying Jamie.

Delene

There are just so many factors involved. One is timing and I am not sure if pairing Hugh with SJP works for a lot of people.

I love Hugh Grant but the first trailer I saw for that movie, I was like yikes that looks like it is going to suck. [i compare that to the folks not us whining about the trailer for The Bounty Hunter. But Bounty Hunter looks funnier to me comparing the trailers Yet I see a lot of people on Twitter, the common folk saying they love the BH trailer and can't wait to see the movie]

The second trailer/commercial for Hugh's movie was more compellingly funny. I'll watch it when it comes on The Movie Network, ie. free on cable.

Bottomline is that it takes a lot to get my butt into a theatre and few movies make the grade for me and most of my peer group is the same. When I was younger, a teenager and then a university student, we probably saw a movie almost once a week, esp since we had an awesome and cheap theatre that showed older classic movies and we also had cheap film nights on campus. We all went to movies on Boxing Day since that's a holiday in Canada.

I read somewhere that LAC was originally going to be released in April 2010 but it got moved up and I have to say I think the timing on the release was a very important part of its success in North America on SO many levels. Also Gerry and Jamie were hot stars/names in 2009. Gerry with TUT for sure and Jamie with his singing Blame it On the Alcohol.

Hugh has been rather low profile of late, I was wondering where he was hiding, and SJP, much as I loved her in the TV show Sex in the City and she has done some really good turns in the movies, usually in supporting roles, I am not feeling her lately as a lead in a movie - can't put my finger on it. I have not even seen the Sex in the City movie esp since all my friends blabbed the ending anyway.

I would argue that first half of December is not a good time to release a romcom unless you do it on Xmas day but then the competition is stiff. You are going to have the kiddy movies that the parents are going to be compelled to take the kids to, the Xmas themed movies and then a few non Xmas adult movies for the rest of the population. If I were inclined to go to a movie this Xmas, it would be Sherlock Holmes. What is the rating on that I wonder - could end up being a family movie if the kids are a bit older and fans of RDJ from Ironman.

I don't think many people have time for movies in the few weeks leading up to Xmas. Once the kids are on break and Xmas is done, then there is plenty of time to go to the movies and I remember our parents sending us to the movies to get us out of the house over holiday breaks for their own sanity, bwah.

Edited by lavender1960

Well a lot I agree with but There is a Romcom coming out X-mas day that is getting a lot of big time nods...with Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep...pair those two together and you have what probably will do very good! Myself, since I've seen AB many times and a lot of the time when he was being not so nice during his divorce in our local paper...he lives or lived in my old hometown ....anyway I honestly thought he lost a lot of credibility but apparently his TV series is a hit and he's won a couple of statues!! I've seen the coming attractions for the HG comedy and I concur...looks funny but TBH looks funnier! We'll see...I do have to add one thing that I think is going to hurt TBH and that's the fact that even right here on this site, there has been a lot of remarks about JA...mostly that she is not well liked. I find that if someone is not well liked one will not pay the price of a movie this person happens to be starring in! In our case ....although I like JA and think she is funny, I know those that mentioned their dislike for her will go because of Gerry....but unfortunately their are a lot more out there that probably have the same disdain for her and don't really care who is starring in it with her! This could hurt....And I'm sorry folks but Avatar ....YUCK!

:wave: Frannie

A movie like The Morgan’s does get lost in the holiday shuffle; it might have been smarter to release that movie in January when there is less competition. It well fare even worse next week, when It’s Complicated is released. Right now Meryl Streep of all people is hot, this movie is getting great buzz and has a terrific cast. It’s pretty much going to drain away what ever audience there was for The Morgan’s. It’s interesting there is less eye rolling over a RomCom type movie with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin then there is with SJP and Grant. But Streep is so well respected that there is little second guessing about her choices. And seeing a RomCom built around a successful 60 year old actress is very compelling and fresh.

Having seen a lot of movies lately I have to say the LAC was far, far superior to 2012, which I thought was awful. The Ugly Truth was much better then Four Christmas’s and Couples Retreat which were both very disappointing. I don’t think Vince Vaughn has been in a good movie since Wedding Crashers, but no one seems to be criticizing him for his choices ether, he gets a pass, and Gerry does not, even from some of us fans.

Meryl Streep is hot right now because she's one of those enduring actors who didn't allow herself to become either a sex symbol or be typecast only in to certain roles. She's one of the best actors out there really and always has been. Alec Baldwin can be a bit of a jerk but he's funny as an actor and of course Steve Martin is one of my all time favorites so there ya go.

I think what people like in comedies, whether they are romantic, black or what, are pratfalls and people doing stupid stuff that gets them hurt or in to trouble. Eddy Murphy used to do such great comedies like Trading Places with Dan Akroyd, another favorite of mine. Chevy Chase's movies were always among my favorites, especially the Vacation movies. I always loved John Candy too and I miss him.

I wanted to see "Old Dogs" with John Travolta and Robin Williams and it looked very funny but I heard it wasn't all that good. But I'd rather make that determination for myself. Robin's best movie for me was "The Bird Cage".

The Bounty looks like it will be very funny and fun and I'm looking forward to it. Gerry does funny so well and when he gets tazered in that scene, it looked hilarious. I think JA is in her element in comedies.

Delene

I don’t think Vince Vaughn has been in a good movie since Wedding Crashers, but no one seems to be criticizing him for his choices ether, he gets a pass, and Gerry does not, even from some of us fans.

I agree, but you know why I think this is? Because not just us fans but also even bitter critics deep down believe that Gerry is very talented and capable of so much more. They expect a lot more from him, they expect to be blown away, constantly. I don't think they expect this from other actors such as Vince Vaughn. He's not A list, Gerry can top that.

Theresa

Well a lot I agree with but There is a Romcom coming out X-mas day that is getting a lot of big time nods...with Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep...pair those two together and you have what probably will do very good! Myself, since I've seen AB many times and a lot of the time when he was being not so nice during his divorce in our local paper...he lives or lived in my old hometown ....anyway I honestly thought he lost a lot of credibility but apparently his TV series is a hit and he's won a couple of statues!! I've seen the coming attractions for the HG comedy and I concur...looks funny but TBH looks funnier! We'll see...I do have to add one thing that I think is going to hurt TBH and that's the fact that even right here on this site, there has been a lot of remarks about JA...mostly that she is not well liked. I find that if someone is not well liked one will not pay the price of a movie this person happens to be starring in! In our case ....although I like JA and think she is funny, I know those that mentioned their dislike for her will go because of Gerry....but unfortunately their are a lot more out there that probably have the same disdain for her and don't really care who is starring in it with her! This could hurt....And I'm sorry folks but Avatar ....YUCK!

:wave: Frannie

Well I think I was trying to say that if you are going to release a rom com do it on Xmas day not before which is the mistake of the Hugh Grant movie and with Meryl Streep you can't lose. It's going to be the adult non Xmas movie non action movie that will haul people in - in fact I could even be enticed to see that one.

I think as well the stress is more on COMEDY than ROM bwah and you can tell by the trailer that the writing is going to be sharp and witty. And what also makes this movie stand out is we finally get another movie about the love lives of people over 40 years old. We don't all die and shrivel up after 40. That is why I loved the movie with Emma Thomspon and Dustin Hoffman, Last Chance Harvey.

You are correct that unfortunately JA has attracted a lot of negative perception from fans, from movie goers in general and more importantly critics. And what happens is and I can see it already that the critics will not give the movie a chance, they will go in thinking they will hate it. They will probably have the review written before they go in. I truly believe this happens. I have seen fill in the blank cookie cutter reviews on a number of movies and concerts. I wonder if some of the critics even attended.

It would take some pretty positive critical reviews coming from respected critics for JA's performance or the movie overall to overcome some of that. I suspect they got Gerry because they knew his fanbase will come out and Jennifer still has a loyal fanbase but given she's not been able to have a hit in her last few outings that fanbase is not enough to carry a movie. Will the two fanbases together be enough?

I mean this happens to Gerry to some degree. There are some people out there that have decided they don't like him no matter what he does. But if the more respected critics laud one of his performances and/or there is just so much positive buzz it can't be ignored and/or the box office is great then they either jump on the bandwagon or begrudgingly have to concur with the tide of sentiment or look like fools.

ETA Hmmm terezoulini raises a good point - for some people it is because they do think he is capable of better. But I still think some people have decided they don't like him and it doesn't matter what he does.

Edited by lavender1960