Gerard Butler GALS

Butler Loves the 12 Days of Christmas

Rendita

BUTLER LOVES THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

Christmas Day has always been a huge anti-climax for Scottish movie hunk GERARD BUTLER - he has always preferred the build up.

The 300 star admits the holidays are very different now than they were when he was a poor kid growing up in Glasgow.

He recalls, "It was almost impossible to contain my excitement. I didn't come from a particularly wealthy family so anything that we got was so much more appreciated.

"My mum was a single mother and, with dad living in Canada, we really didn't get anything from him, but all the rest of the family was very close. I had a lot of aunts and uncles, great grand uncles and they would always make sure that we were alright.

"My uncle would build us a sled or we'd get these weird wonderful gifts, and I would always be thinking I would catch Santa coming down the chimney.

"Coming from a country where it gets cold and it snows, there's a real Christmassy feeling in Scotland. Then comes the day where you have to start getting the presents and it loses that magic suddenly and Christmas becomes a huge pain in the a**."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story...ristmas_1126812

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then comes the day where you have to start getting the presents and it loses that magic suddenly and Christmas becomes a huge pain in the a**."

Oh, baby, wait until you're a parent. :lmao: You have NO IDEA what a pain in the a** Christmas is until then!

Nooooooooo,don't say that,you'll discourage the man from creating offspring :lol:.... really it's not that bad as long as you plan ahead.Like months ahead,I actually accomplished that this year and December was so really,magical and awesome this year.Another thing that makes it easier,one of my friends told me this,you only get your kids 3 presents,because baby Jesus only got 3 presents. Cuts down on the mile long list "You can only have 3 things,so choose wisely" ;)

I so agree with the snow thing making it more Christmasey.I must confess..I'm not originally from TN,I'm from Missouri and it snows in Missouri and it rarely snows here and I so,so miss it. I have threatened to drive the kids back home next time it snows.

Gerry, I love it when you read my mind. I was just saying a few weeks ago that Scotland strikes me as a very Christmas-y place.

I traditionally enjoy the Christmas season itself more than the actual day, but for the past 8 or 9 years, it hasn't been the same. I think it may be because I'm always so busy right up until a week before Christmas, that I never get a chance to really pause and realize that it's the holiday season. It could also be because my Grandfather died of cancer on Christmas morning in 2001. Truthfully, I don't think it's ever felt the same after that.

I've been told that you once again get that magical feeling when you have little kids, who are discovering the magic for the first time. Not your experience, Lisa? :lol:

Thanks for this one, Ren!

Steph

Nah, I was just kidding. Honestly, Christmas is the BEST when you have little kids because you get to see it through their eyes and remember what it was like for you. I miss that. I'll have it again when I have grandchildren (long time from now).

I would LOVE to go to Scotland for Christmas one day. I can imagine that it must be one of the most magical, beautiful places on the planet at this time of year - especially in the Highlands.

I have to admit, Christmas is not my favorite holiday and it IS a pain in the arse. I just want it to be done and overwith or I want to be on a caribbean island somewhere. When my house was built, I had the contracter put in outlets under the eves controlled by a switch inside the foyer so I could string up Christmas lights and turn them on and off without a stupid timer and I've lived in this house six years and never put up a single light! How pathetic is that?

BA.....HUMBUG!

Delene

Assuming all of my life plans work out, I hope to be in Scotland for a year sometime soon. If that's the case, I'd love for my parents and brother to come spend Christmas with me there... They really need to get out and see the world. ;)

Delene, that's so funny! It sounds like the lights would be a snap if you ever got around to it. So, what is your favorite holiday then?

Steph

BUTLER LOVES THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

Christmas Day has always been a huge anti-climax for Scottish movie hunk GERARD BUTLER - he has always preferred the build up.

The 300 star admits the holidays are very different now than they were when he was a poor kid growing up in Glasgow.

He recalls, "It was almost impossible to contain my excitement. I didn't come from a particularly wealthy family so anything that we got was so much more appreciated.

"My mum was a single mother and, with dad living in Canada, we really didn't get anything from him, but all the rest of the family was very close. I had a lot of aunts and uncles, great grand uncles and they would always make sure that we were alright.

"My uncle would build us a sled or we'd get these weird wonderful gifts, and I would always be thinking I would catch Santa coming down the chimney.

"Coming from a country where it gets cold and it snows, there's a real Christmassy feeling in Scotland. Then comes the day where you have to start getting the presents and it loses that magic suddenly and Christmas becomes a huge pain in the a**."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story...ristmas_1126812

Thanks for this insite on Gerry's childhood....but the is one thing I would really like to know Rendita; what is Gerry saying on your avatar? It looks like he is saying the "F" bomb but I'm not sure.....I do notice though that he winks with his right eye on one and with his left eye on the other....strange eh?

Christmas is great...I remember when I was a kid it was kind of more stressful then it is now. Then again, I did grow with three other siblings, all of whom are within 2 years of each other. But, my older sister and I would always help out my my mom though so that made it less hectic, we still do, I decorated the house this year. I always look back and think about my poor mom, she really had her hands full, especially at Christmas. She had four young kids and she was raising us all by herself b/c our dad was never around and I remember us not having a lot of money at points and she worked so hard to give us a great Christmas, which she always did. Plus we used to live in Connecticut where I`m from and it would snow like crazy....snow is great...until you have to dig your way out of it to get to the bus stop that brings you to school. I actually prefer living in Louisiana when winter comes around.

Thanks for this insite on Gerry's childhood....but the is one thing I would really like to know Rendita; what is Gerry saying on your avatar? It looks like he is saying the "F" bomb but I'm not sure.....I do notice though that he winks with his right eye on one and with his left eye on the other....strange eh?

:lol: Not that he's unlikely to say it, but in this case he's actually saying "Toys for bigger boys" in the avatar. The actual clip is slightly longer and is in Multimedia.

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...mp;showfile=128

I have to admit, Christmas is not my favorite holiday and it IS a pain in the arse. I just want it to be done and overwith or I want to be on a caribbean island somewhere. When my house was built, I had the contracter put in outlets under the eves controlled by a switch inside the foyer so I could string up Christmas lights and turn them on and off without a stupid timer and I've lived in this house six years and never put up a single light! How pathetic is that?

BA.....HUMBUG!

Delene

I will not say it is my absolute favorite...I like Halloween and St.Patty's day alot too.

Not pathetic,cause you'd probably have to hire someone to put them up and to take them down,unless you want to go all redneck and just leave them up all year round(not saying that's bad).

Last year,was not very magical at all,even though I have little kids..I re-found the "magic" when I decided that I was just not going to rush or have the pressure of shopping at the last minute,any more.Or the pressure of having to buy an expensive gift for someone who only talks to me once a year etc...I just could not enjoy the holidays with that kind of stress. And that is not what the season is about and we lose focus of that alot of times I think,by getting all caught up in the materialism of it.

May-I never noticed that,very cool.

Assuming all of my life plans work out, I hope to be in Scotland for a year sometime soon. If that's the case, I'd love for my parents and brother to come spend Christmas with me there... They really need to get out and see the world. ;)

Delene, that's so funny! It sounds like the lights would be a snap if you ever got around to it. So, what is your favorite holiday then?

Steph

Well it used to be the Forth of July until I got hit in the side of the head with a bottle rocket and a my t shirt caught on fire, not to mention the powder burn I sustained on my jaw! It's true! Now I hate that.

As far as Christmas goes, I have all the lights for the house and there's our big tractor with a bucket on the front that will lift you right up like a cherry picker to the roof without having to use a ladder! I even used to string lights around the doghouses but they don't use them anymore because they sleep in the house now. I have a seven foot tree with three kinds of lights you can operate with a remote control and I've had it up once! I've got about ten Rubbermaid containers filled with decorations, animated moving stuffed animals for under the tree, lighted wreaths for every exterior door including the ones on the barns and gates, a battery powered lighted wreath, red nose and antlers for my Jeep, animated deer for the yard and a blow up Santa, a rotating projector lighted "thingy" for the wall of the barn down by the road, and running lights that go around the wheels on the old Conestoga wagon making it look like it's moving with two animated lighted horses pulling it. Yes, I used to be Clark Griswald but I'm a "less is more" kind of gal now and if all of that sounds like work, well it is but it's even more work taking it down in June! :funnyup:

Delene

Well it used to be the Forth of July until I got hit in the side of the head with a bottle rocket and a my t shirt caught on fire, not to mention the powder burn I sustained on my jaw! It's true! Now I hate that.

As far as Christmas goes, I have all the lights for the house and there's our big tractor with a bucket on the front that will lift you right up like a cherry picker to the roof without having to use a ladder! I even used to string lights around the doghouses but they don't use them anymore because they sleep in the house now. I have a seven foot tree with three kinds of lights you can operate with a remote control and I've had it up once! I've got about ten Rubbermaid containers filled with decorations, animated moving stuffed animals for under the tree, lighted wreaths for every exterior door including the ones on the barns and gates, a battery powered lighted wreath, red nose and antlers for my Jeep, animated deer for the yard and a blow up Santa, a rotating projector lighted "thingy" for the wall of the barn down by the road, and running lights that go around the wheels on the old Conestoga wagon making it look like it's moving with two animated lighted horses pulling it. Yes, I used to be Clark Griswald but I'm a "less is more" kind of gal now and if all of that sounds like work, well it is but it's even more work taking it down in June! :funnyup:

Delene

OW!...you can still enjoy the 4th,just stay far,far,far away from the actual shooting of the fireworks.:) Like...watch it on tv.lol They used to have bottle rocket fights out on the farm until my Grandma outlawed it because she was afraid someone would get badly hurt.

That does sound like alot of work....more so the taking it down and packing it all back up etc...my biggest thing that I hated about decorating was always stringing lights on an 8ft tree that we had(i'm 5'2'' so I was up and down a ladder constantly)....so when my divorce happened,I let him keep the tree and I bought the boys and I a 6' tree that is pre-lit.No more stringing lights!! :pointy:

Christmas in Scotland is great! It technically wasn't a white Christmas until the very late hours of Dec 25th..It has been snowing today on Boxing Day.

One of the best bits I like about Christmas in Glasgow is the big ice rink on George Square. There is a German market comes over and mulled wine and roasted chestnuts for sale.

The downside now is all the people going mad for the boxing day sales.

I now have a cold though, so it's staying indoors for me :(

xx

Then comes the day where you have to start getting the presents and it loses that magic suddenly and Christmas becomes a huge pain in the a**."

Oh, baby, wait until you're a parent. :lmao: You have NO IDEA what a pain in the a** Christmas is until then!

You are soooo right Phoenixgirl. Our house is like Clark Griswald's in 'National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.' Everything turns out allright but there are some sledding downhill incidents every year. Early on I actually cooked a Christmas turkey upside down in the pan with mother and mother-in-law in attendance And let's not even talk about my mother-in-law's gifts that I couldn't figure out what they were when I opened the packages - with her sitting right there - I especially remember a rock garden fountain that the kids dismantled and spread around outside - in the neighbor's yard, in the snow. Oh, and the chidren's blender that was given to our daughter and she put a container of baby power in it and turned it on with the lid off and filled the house with a white fog that settled on everything including people. Oh, and the potters wheel given to our son - he put a mound of really wet clay on it and turned it on to watch the walls get covered.

But in the end it is great fun - I say that now on the 26th of December...

A happy, healthy new year to you all.

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

Andrea wrote:

"I so agree with the snow thing making it more Christmasey.I must confess..I'm not originally from TN,I'm from Missouri and it snows in Missouri and it rarely snows here and I so,so miss it. I have threatened to drive the kids back home next time it snows."

Well, I'm in Missouri ( near the airport ). It was a VERY WHITE CHRISTMAS!!! Between the snow & the wind...I have to shovel an area for my dog to get out to relieve herself!!! It was GORGEOUS in the morning!! Spoke to family & they decided to hold off till the roads were better for traveling. We'll get together in a few days. I just snuggled up with a big hot cocoa topped with marshmallows, the tree lights on, doggie on my lap, under a fluffy throw watching a few movies. ( yes, slipped in one or two of "what's-his-face" movies. Ya know I still like ya, Mr. G!! kiss kiss hee hee hee ) Now Delene probably had a picturesque view from her home. Wide open fields of untouched snow. SIGH!!!! I could see a cattle ranch from my back deck. She likely has 10 times the view I enjoy.

If Mr G's Mum is still in the house from the pics on GB.net, then he woke up on Boxing Day to an equally gorgeous view. Double sigh!! Cup of coffee in hand. Standing at the door, just AMAZED! that anything could be so beautiful & breathtaking. Happy to home again. America is wonderful, but the mans heart has to miss Scotland, at times.

The Divine Miss S :rose:

So is Gerry saying it is better to receive than give? LOL.

He could always hire a professional shopper or get a wife, that's what a lot of men do, leave it all up to the wife. Bwah. Come on you know its true. Or your daughters once they are old enough. I remember my dad had me buy my mom's gifts starting when I was like 11 until I left for school.

There are some interesting ways to make Xmas more meaningful and I probably need to explore them. I left it too late for this year but I like the one idea of adopting animals for family in places like Africa or India instead of buying things for people here who really don't need anything - you could get one goat for a family for x amount of money and adopt them in someone's name. I am just always dubious and need to check it out to make sure this charity does what it says it does.

My brother and his wife and my nieces adopted a needy family in town through a program in their high school and so they explained to others they spent less money on our own family, as we are a very blessed family financially and really can buy anything we need for ourselves and they provided for that family. My sister in law took the time to meet the family and ask what they might need and the mother said winter coats which really took her aback - we live in Canada, that's an essential. She got snow suits for the smaller kids - we lived in snow suits when we were kids, between skating and tobaganning and snowmobiling and just plain playing in the snow, making snow angels or snowman or snowforts. They have an older child with a learning disability and the school uses Netbooks which her family could not afford, both parents are working but struggling, and had been saving up for 2 years but not quite enough yet, so my brother and sister inlaw bought them a Netbook for their daughter, even confirmed with the school the proper version of the book and the parents cried when they received all their gifts.

Now that's the kind of Christmas that I enjoy Lavender! It's the whole true meaning of Christmas...

I saw on the news this morning where a young boy had a schoolmate who's Dad had just had his hours at work cut in half and they already lost their home and were living in a motel, the boy it seemed was being teased at school for wearing the same clothes ...well we all know how cruel some kids can be... and to get to the point they had NOTHING for Christmas! Although they could have gone to a soup kitchen to have dinner instead when the young boy told his parents about this families hardship they opened their home and their hearts to them. The special part about this whole thing is that the Angles that invited them into their home were a struggling family themselves but they made it work and shared what they did have... This is the meaning of Christmas to me.

I also appreciate meaningful gifts like pretty baskets of homemade goodies, homemade and personal cards, and my best gift of all is when I get a phone call from my kids and loved ones...just to say Merry Christmas MA! :)

:wave: Frannie

Now Delene probably had a picturesque view from her home. Wide open fields of untouched snow. SIGH!!!! I could see a cattle ranch from my back deck. She likely has 10 times the view I enjoy.

Well, most of it's "untouched" and some is very touched! However, my views now are nothing compared to the ones I had when I lived up in the mountains in Evergreen, Colorado. Nothing will ever come close to that, but as beautiful and breathtaking as they were the conditions and treachery of the landscape was equally as drastic! At least everything here in Missouri, for the most part, is on level ground.

Hope Gerry's somewhere warm and safe and enjoyed his Holiday. I think he's a very "giving" person actually and probably doesn't need Christmas to give someone an unexpected gift. I just see him that way. He see's something he thinks you might like and gets it for you type of thing and I bet he's the kind of guy who would rather receive gifts with some meaning and emotion behind then rather just get a bunch of stuff he doesn't need or he can get for himself.

When I was a kid, no matter how many presents I got under the tree to tear open and cast aside after a few hours, I always looked forward to getting the little plastic snowglobe from one of my Granny's, a box of chocolate covered cherries from the other one and my gingerbread man from one of my Aunties.

Delene

Hope Gerry's somewhere warm and safe and enjoyed his Holiday. I think he's a very "giving" person actually and probably doesn't need Christmas to give someone an unexpected gift. I just see him that way. He see's something he thinks you might like and gets it for you type of thing and I bet he's the kind of guy who would rather receive gifts with some meaning and emotion behind then rather just get a bunch of stuff he doesn't need or he can get for himself.

I totally agree Delene! And that's how I am too... I sometimes have trouble at Christmas because I want every gift I buy for people to be thoughtful. I don't like buying gifts just because it's the holiday season, it always means the most to me when I see something that I think they would like and just go ahead and get it. I sent my best friend flowers a few months ago for no special occasion; just because she'd been feeling down lately!

Steph

I totally agree Delene! And that's how I am too... I sometimes have trouble at Christmas because I want every gift I buy for people to be thoughtful. I don't like buying gifts just because it's the holiday season, it always means the most to me when I see something that I think they would like and just go ahead and get it. I sent my best friend flowers a few months ago for no special occasion; just because she'd been feeling down lately!

Steph

That's the best way to give a gift, Steph and that makes you a true friend! Although I think Gerry may fall victim to the last minute shopping thing sometimes and I can totally see that, I bet he doesn't like doing it and he only does it because he's just too busy all the time, doesn't like to put the task off on PA's for personal gifts and such and would rather do it himself so hence the "Christmas pain in the arse" thing. Sometimes it seems Gerry "whines" about the things he really cares about the most, you can tell. ;)

Delene

Christmas in Scotland is great! It technically wasn't a white Christmas until the very late hours of Dec 25th..It has been snowing today on Boxing Day.

One of the best bits I like about Christmas in Glasgow is the big ice rink on George Square. There is a German market comes over and mulled wine and roasted chestnuts for sale.

The downside now is all the people going mad for the boxing day sales.

I now have a cold though, so it's staying indoors for me :(

xx

That sounds wonderful.Especially the ice rink,I love to skate.And the German market,I spent my early childhood in Germany and there are just certain smells and sounds that have stuck in my mind all these years. :) I think I'm goin to need to make a Christmas trip one of these days.(long time from now)

If the Boxing day sales or anything like the after Christmas sales here....I'll pass. I am not one to go shopping the day after one of those big holidays because I am not willing to risk bodily harm to get a $5 toaster or some other "thing".If it's there later in the day,it was meant for me to have it lol

Sorry you have a cold,stay warm and get well.

or get a wife, that's what a lot of men do, leave it all up to the wife

Oh please,don't remind me!*shiver* I used to have to do that and it WAS a pain in the butt. Especially if your other half procrastinates.That is what made my last 6 Christmases stressful :lol:(his not giving me an idea of who else we needed to buy for until the week before or springing new ones one me) Now I can shop in March if I so choose. :)

There are some interesting ways to make Xmas more meaningful and I probably need to explore them. I left it too late for this year but I like the one idea of adopting animals for family in places like Africa or India instead of buying things for people here who really don't need anything - you could get one goat for a family for x amount of money and adopt them in someone's name. I am just always dubious and need to check it out to make sure this charity does what it says it does.

My ex-inlaws have done this for years,and it really is legit. There is one called the Heffer project ..I think. And Samaritans Purse does stuff like that well.You can donate in general or for specific items like...a months worth of food,a cow,misquito nets,clean water...seeds and gardening tools...etc... This year I had a tree planted in their honor in a forest somewhere.

Now that's the kind of Christmas that I enjoy Lavender! It's the whole true meaning of Christmas...

I saw on the news this morning where a young boy had a schoolmate who's Dad had just had his hours at work cut in half and they already lost their home and were living in a motel, the boy it seemed was being teased at school for wearing the same clothes ...well we all know how cruel some kids can be... and to get to the point they had NOTHING for Christmas! Although they could have gone to a soup kitchen to have dinner instead when the young boy told his parents about this families hardship they opened their home and their hearts to them. The special part about this whole thing is that the Angles that invited them into their home were a struggling family themselves but they made it work and shared what they did have... This is the meaning of Christmas to me.

I also appreciate meaningful gifts like pretty baskets of homemade goodies, homemade and personal cards, and my best gift of all is when I get a phone call from my kids and loved ones...just to say Merry Christmas MA! :)

:wave: Frannie

That is wonderful that the family would do that for someone else..the Lord will bless them for that.

I like homemade gifts....I made my boys matching hats and scarves this year,but gave them to them early since it has gotten so cold here in TN this year.