Gerard Butler GALS

Which movie do you think stretched Gerry's acting skills the most?

phoenixgirl

Which movie do you think stretched Gerry's acting skills the most?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie do you think stretched Gerry's acting skills the most?

• The Jury
    • Phantom of the Opera
    • Law Abiding Citizen
    • PS I Love You
    • He hasn't done it yet
    • Attila
    • Mrs. Brown

I have seen every one of these films, and I think for me, I would say his performance in Phantom of the Opera . I say Phantom because it was the first role he had that required him to sing. Not only that, but to sing some of the most beloved songs of all time and having that expectation needing to be lived up to. When you play such a iconic character as the Phantom in a screen version of one of the greatest musicals there is, you take unto yourself immense shoes to fill. and I will be honest, I never saw the movie in theaters, I waited till the dvd came out that following April...and I really was scared to death to watch the movie because I`ve loved the musical that much for as long as I can remember. I really didn't expect to be so blown away by Gerry, especially because before I saw him in the movie, I had no clue who Gerard Butler was...all I know is, is that when I saw the movie I was not only impressed with his performance...I was right down gob-smacked. I thought, who is this guy?? I never thought I would be able to see anybody capture the sheer, raw essence that was this being The Phantom. I never expected anyone to show such vulnerability and pain so honestly as Gerry did. I never expected to have my heart be shattered into a thousand little pieces by the yearning and desperation this man felt. I never expected to fall so in love with the Phantom and to see the world through his eyes. I never expected any of it....and yet, I was even at 17 years old. Even now at 22, I still am every single time I watch that movie. Every single time.

Edited by AngelofMusic

While Gerry has done a phenomenal job in movies like The Jury, the part that will showcase just how great he is hasn't happened yet. I'm pairsonally hoping that that part will be Rabbie Burns. Thanks Lis for giving us that option! :pointy:

I liked LAC the most so far. Am looking forward to his flick with Aniston to see how he does with a superstar co-star.

I was not a huge fan of Nim's Island or TUT. I liked Rock-N-Rolla but it was difficult to understand.

JMO! Hugs!

:whoa::whiteflag:

I'm still waiting for that role. Of all his existing roles, I would vote POTO....but I am anticipating a role that will test him to his core and bring forth the true depths of his talent. I don't think we've seen that one yet. I was hoping the role of Clyde in LAC was THAT role, but at least IMO, it wasn't.

I am excited to see what comes after Bounty Hunter, because even though that might be a fun movie for some people, it's not one I'm counting on.

Swannie

Unfortunately it appears he's being stereotyped into the alpha male, bada$$ role. I do hope this changes. He has so much more to give. But, maybe like Sean Connery (*sigh!*) he'll just get better with age!!

:grrr:

I would have to say he hasn't done it yet. Phantom would come the closest for me then Clyde. Gerry's like a fine and spirited race horse that's not being given his head. The reins need to be let out on that boy so he may go full tilt! There will be a story out there that will show all he's capable of someday.

Delene

I haven't seen half these movies, so I can't vote. :(

I was all ready with my explanation for why I chose LAC, but it all went out the window when I saw this Kira. You haven't seen half of these?! Hunny, we need to get together and have a movie day! You're missing out! :hug1:

Steph

I chose "The Jury" because it was a very emotional role for Gerry and he nailed it perfectly. I loved the farewell scene in "POTO" at the end of the movie but in "The Jury" Gerry had to show so much emotion throughout that series. I have yet to see such intensity in Gerry's acting since. He needs a good script like that one again. I agree when Gerry said he feels he has shown only 10% of what he can do as an actor. It all boils down to what he has to work with as far as a good script.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Where is King Leonidas? Am I out here alone feeling this was a tough one for Gerry to tackle?

Sometimes I wonder if the "fantastic" presentation and film style of 300 overshadow Gerry's acting (as well as the acting of the other Spartan warriors). Beyond the grueling physical training they had to endure, they had to be strong yet vulnerable in a unique way, especially Leonidas. How beautifully Gerry uses his expressions to convey such competing emotions...fierce love for his family while at the same time fierce love for his people and freedom. Let's face it, the script while entirely appropriate, left a whole lot that had to be conveyed without words...and Gerry did an amazing job.

BUT...if I have to pick exclusively from this list...my vote goes to "The Jury," then the "Phantom."

Leslie

Oh I went right to The Jury...I still say even though he was much younger and newer at the game his emotional turmoil in that movie grabbed you and drew you in...When he cried I cried and when he relapsed I sobbed like a baby! No contest for me...also I think Shattered should have been a contender!

:kisswink: Frannie

Yes, yes! The portrayal of Johnnie Donne is truly a heartwrenching performance. I wish that someone would cut all of the scenes with Gerry in them and paste them together so we can see just the Johnnie/Rose subplot, without having to watch all 6 hours of the series (even though it's an amazing series!).

Steph

• 5 months later...

I was blown away by his work in "The Jury". I think it is one of his best. I am surprised that "Dear Frankie" is not on this list. It is my second favorite. "Phantom" show cased how multi-talented He was.

I had a really tough choice between Phantom of the Opera and Law Abiding Citizen. The role of the Phantom was certainly a stretch since it was a musical with songs so different than his normal rock songs. His voice in the movie blew me away and I never tire of listening to him sing. My mom who isn't a Gerry fan thinks he's got a great voice.

I went with Law Abiding Citizen because of he has some unfathomable ability to become this psychotic sick puppy and make people want to root for him to get away with killing people for the sake of vengeance. That evil look in his eyes along with that smirk sends a chill down my spine. I wanted to see this movie before I knew who Gerry was based on the trailer and tv ads. Law Abiding Citizen is my fave Gerry movie. http://www.gbgalsgallery.com/v/roles/lac/OfTrCap/Untitled-11048.jpg.html