Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Phantom's AngelRose

Problems downloading You Tube Clips to Real Player

I got an email from YouTube today that video clips could no longer be downloaded from You Tube via Real Player or Real Player SP. Has anyone else received this notice or had problems downloading clips from You Tube onto Real Player?

Apparently, from what they sent out, they are blocking all Real Player downloads due to illegal downloads being done in the past. As I understand it, it's illegal to download from You Tube.

If anyone else knows anything of this, please post.

Thanks,

Tense

That all sounds a bit strange to me. I thought once that something was out on the internet it became a part of the public domain for anyone's use unless otherwise specified or watermarked, etc. I sometimes get a message while I'm viewing a youtube that tells me that I may not be able to view any longer if I don't upgrade but I've never gotten an email from youtube and if I did, I'd be suspicious how they got my email address in the first place.

I had a bad experience a few weeks ago with hackers and a crashed computer. I'd be careful of any emails that sound weird.

Delene

I got an email from YouTube today that video clips could no longer be downloaded from You Tube via Real Player or Real Player SP. Has anyone else received this notice or had problems downloading clips from You Tube onto Real Player?

Apparently, from what they sent out, they are blocking all Real Player downloads due to illegal downloads being done in the past. As I understand it, it's illegal to download from You Tube.

If anyone else knows anything of this, please post.

Thanks,

Tense

I didn't get any messages of that sort and I just downloaded a couple of things with RealPlayer. Who knows?

Theresa

The reply that I got was from the Help Desk at YouTube after I wrote them inquiring why I all of a sudden could not download clips from You Tube. I had emailed them, and the Help Desk emailed me an answer back. In fact, I got two of them, one said that it was not allowed anymore and the other one said that due to illegal downloading to You Tube via Real Player, that they had blocked Real Player downloads. I do know that this is something that has been discussed before and there have been articles about You Tube and the number of illegal downloads and that eventually all downloads would be stopped. Maybe they are just starting with Real Player and will continue on with other formats as well. I have Quick Time and Flash Player 10, so I'm covered with all that. Another friend of mine was not able to download to Real Player from his computer either, so apparently they are doing this in stages.

It's all very confusing....

Tense

I've never tried to download a youtube but I've emailed links, etc. I'm confused too. Actually, I would think BMI would be all over people using artists' music in videos etc. on youtube but I guess as long as it's not for profit. I don't know how that works. Is there an attorney in the house?

Delene