Gerard Butler GALS

GQ article

terezoulini

This is an article posted on the GQ site on January 6th 2010. I have edited out one bit because it was on the "adult" side and not fit for the above the beltline section (basically Gerry being a regular straight guy :-) ).

Enjoy!

Theresa

Gerard Butler's Just Desserts

In late 2007, I interviewed actor Gerard Butler—who memorably defended Sparta in 300, and who is now defending himself from a tabloid attack against the size of his waist. ("From Spartan to softie," says the New York Daily News. "Gerard Butler packs on the holiday pounds and shows off his new beach body.")

While I am on the record as being a fan of Butler and his work, I must admit that I'm taking some joy in the revelation that he's been skipping the gym. Because back in 2007, for research purposes, we spent a morning together lifting weights. It did not end well.

Flashback to that day in 2007 after the jump...

On the morning I am to meet Gerard Butler, my cell phone buzzes. A text message from the actor arrives. Brutal, concise, it reads: Tim and I have decided that if you don't vomit we're gonna take you out the back and personally beat the s**t out of you just so you'll feel something.

By way of explanation, Tim is Tim Connolly, Gerard Butler's personal trainer and stunt double (also previously a world champion in Tae Kwon Do). Butler is the star of 300--a surprise hit of Grecian formula that made $72 million dollars in three days thanks to a marketing campaign built entirely around an image of Butler's cobble-stone abs. When Butler invited me to train at Manhattan's Chelsea Piers for the day, it was impossible to refuse. Essentially, it was an invitation to watch the actor hone his craft. Best case scenario: This guy was Russell Crowe with table manners. Worst case: He'd be signing autographs at Comic-Con for the next 50 years. This! Is! Sparta!

Tim, the trainer, arrives at the gym first--all sawed-off biceps and bronzed skin--and he is hard to miss, what with that sleeveless 300 T-shirt he's wearing. I tell him about the text message Gerry sent me. Don't worry, he laughs: "Gerry got fat."

By fat, of course, he means Hollywood fat, which isn't fat at all. Butler, 38, shows up in track pants and one of those shirts that wicks. He lifts up the form-fitting nylon body armor and surveys his stomach. "The abs are coming back," he says, pleased with himself. He has been lifting again for a mere two weeks. I look down at my own stomach: paunchy, white, Jewish.

"Gerry has good genetics," Tim says, by way of apology.

We make small talk about the importance of stretching. Gerry stops mid-sentence, again and again, logging the appearance of every woman walking by (even the elderly). Lately, he says, it's nice to talk to pretty girls, but anything more than that tends to get complicated. The travel. The work. He denies reports he was dating supermodel Naomi Campbell, but allows there may have been something with a 5' 11" former Miss Iceland, now a very good friend. "I'm not saying I'm some angel," he says. "I've abused many privileges in the past. But it starts to feel a little cheap."

Tim asks if we've eaten. I thought you weren't supposed to eat before a work out, I say. Tim corrects me, ushering us towards the juice bar. "You should have a bit of carbohydrates," he says.

Butler turns to me, smiles, and offers up his own suggested breakfast of champions. (edited out)

I laugh. While the next two hours pass, they do not pass quickly.

Butler mounts the incline bench at Chelsea Piers, with 45 pounds of metal in his meaty hands. Tim stands above him, an encouraging tutor. The training, for Gerry anyway, has been a bit easier since he quit smoking last year, a two-pack-a-day Marlboro Reds habit dating back to the Iran Contra affair. (It was the tag team efforts of the Chopra Center in California and hypnosis that weaned him off the smokes—succeeding where laser-light therapy, acupuncture, and electrolysis all failed.) "There's nothing more mindless than lifting weights," Gerry says, invoking a program called Power of Intention. This morning is not about one training session, he says. It's about visualizing your taut body on screen after many mindless sessions.

Butler is training for a new movie, GAME, a futuristic action thriller he'll shoot in New Mexico. I am training, I realize, for no reason.

In the end, Gerry wouldn't need to take me "out the back" and "beat the s**t out of me." I did it myself.

After bicycle sprints and a super set of bicep curls, I am light headed and excuse myself to the bathroom to dry heave. (When you're lifting weights with the Spartan king, you tend to push yourself beyond reason.) When I return, perhaps to lift my spirits, Gerry tells me a story about 300. Some of the actors, he says, though they trained like Spartans for months—lifting tractor tires and performing other G.I. Joe maneuvers—they dipped into some Hollywood black magic to get that now-famous eight-pack physique. No, Butler is not talking about steroids. He's talking about spray-on abs.

"I had spray-on abs as well," Butler says, "but I could also stick my finger up to almost the second knuckle—that's how deep in my hands could go. You use make-up on your face. That doesn't mean you're an ugly f***er."

I return to the circuit, temporarily emboldened by the news. Until I look inside my spiral notepad. While I was in the bathroom, Gerry wrote a note. It reads: "Help. I am a p****. Get me out of here."

— Mickey Rapkin

Thanks so much for posting this.

Dang it, but he has the most delicious sense of humor. It would be great to spend an evening talking with him and just hearing him tell stories.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Edited by beacon1

Great find, T! The writer captured the essence of Gerry so accurately! "logging the appearance of every woman walking by (even the elderly)". That is so "Gerry"! With Gerry, though, you wonder what it would be exactly that he is "logging"! I can imagine that this guy's definition of elderly, however, might be anyone over fifty but his writing made for an amusing read. I'm not surprised though. Gerry has always seemed to me to be the kind of man who is open to all the possibilities.

I knew that Gerry worked out hard for those 300 abs but I had also read somewhere that much of that "look" was created digitally, or something like that. I wasn't aware of the "spray on" variety. Abs in a can? Can that be for real?

Delene

The spray on is to highlight it for the camera, so it shows up. The camera will flatten the look and you'll lose it. There was, according to all aparticipants, no CGI for the muscles, just the backgrounds. It is like make-up. Without it you lose the details. With it, you highlight what's already there.

jane

Great find, T! The writer captured the essence of Gerry so accurately!

Delene

I'll tell you what captured the essence of Gerry, the little bit I had to edit out, but I suppose you can imagine what it was about. :-) The very thought of picturing him saying that is so hilarious (and sexy, OK, I will admit to that). :-)

T

Thanks so much for posting this.

Dang it, but he has the most delicious sense of humor. It would be great to spend an evening talking with him and just hearing him tell stories.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Yes it would be and I would hope he'd feel as comfortable talking to a woman that way as he is to a man.

Great find, T! The writer captured the essence of Gerry so accurately!

Delene

I'll tell you what captured the essence of Gerry, the little bit I had to edit out, but I suppose you can imagine what it was about. :-) The very thought of picturing him saying that is so hilarious (and sexy, OK, I will admit to that). :-)

T

Oh I'm sure of it! I can imagine and when I do, I imagine the most shocking thing that might come out of his mouth and then multiply it by ten!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Theresa, you already know what I think of this article, but I just wanted to say it again. I love it. This man's sense of humour gets me every time .

Going to read the un-cut version again :escape:

LOL! Thanks! The more I read the uncut version, the more I think it's going to be an all time classic for me. :-) I'm surprised it hadn't surfaced before.

This is the Gerry we love to love. As you said, just when you think you cannot love him anymore, you find out more is always possible with him.

T

"I'm not saying I'm some angel," he says. "I've abused many privileges in the past. But it starts to feel a little cheap."

This is my favorite line. I think it really shows us the Gerry that we love. He's a vibrant man with healthy appetites, but still has such depth of soul and respect. Love it.

Of course, I loved the other parts too, Gerry joking around and being Gerry. :D

Steph

You can find the article at gq.com and do a search for Gerard Butler. It's the first thing that pops up. :)

What a great story. :lol: I adore Gerry's humor, bawdy as it may be. He's so bluntly honest, you have to admire that. We had a thread once about what we would serve Gerry for breakfast ... who knew. :lmao:

Thanks, Theresa. :)

I agree with Jane on the abs being "enhanced" with makeup a bit...and using the word "enhanced" I DO NOT mean that they were altered or "faked" in any way, just made to film better. Having a degree in Theater Arts from UCLA myself, there are a lot of "tricks of the trade" that go on, that the public knows nothing of...Gerry's 12 pack abs were totally real, no fake or CGI involved with those...his nearly killing himself in the process to get them should account for that fact, plus all you have to do is look at them to see that they are totally real...Sometimes makeup (or even spray tan medium) is used to help bring out muscle definition, or to enhance a certain area...like a woman will use blush to bring out her cleavage more, make it more "defined" so to speak, but that was all that was done with Gerry and the others in 300 in that respect. Movie lights tend to wash out skin color as well, and the camera picks up every little flaw, so powder or other makeup mediums are used just to tone the skin to prevent light washout as well. That doesn't ADD muscle or alter muscle in any way, other than skin tone color. The very idea of saying that Gerry's abs were sprayed on or CGI'd on is both ridiculous and preposterous. I know this has been a matter of discussion in many articles and by many interviewers in the past since 300...

Tense

It's all jealousy that makes people accuse his 300 abs of being fake. They can't imagine they'd ever have the discipline to get a body like that, so they assume that no one else can either. It's just petty, and sad.

Gerry is all man. Leonidas was all man.

...well, and a little spray, apparently. ;)

Steph

We had a thread once about what we would serve Gerry for breakfast ... who knew. :lmao:

Thanks, Theresa. :)[/b][/color][/font]

You're killing me sometimes, I just burst into such laughter with that and Stelios who's sitting next to me gave me such a look! :-)

It's so surreal that we are having this conversation for something that hasn't even been actually posted. You have to admit, the guy is so easy to please, you don't even have to slave in the kitchen for his breakfast, at least not for cooking. And he's good under the current financial crisis, you don't have to spend a penny for his breakfast (well, except maybe the cost for making it "safe"). :lmao:

And to think that I hesitated to post this...

T

You can find the article at gq.com and do a search for Gerard Butler. It's the first thing that pops up. :)

What a great story. :lol: I adore Gerry's humor, bawdy as it may be. He's so bluntly honest, you have to admire that. We had a thread once about what we would serve Gerry for breakfast ... who knew. :lmao:

Lisa, I think we should "bump" that thread back up now, don't you?

As far as Gerry's abs being real, fake or partially real, fake, we all know what lengths Hollywood will go to make an actor look ridiculously buff and trim so the masses shall live in a world of chronic inferiority complexes and self consciousness. I think sometimes it's even more difficult on the actor in that regard as they have this false "image" to live up to then just like the comparison of Gerry's abs in 300 with his abs in Barbados. The man was probably afraid to take his shirt off for a long time after that movie!

I'm not saying he doesn't work like hell to get in to shape and I honestly hope he never has to get in to that kind of body again. I just don't think it's healthy or normal, but it's Hollywood and part of his job, however, my point is........gee, I've forgotten my point now! Oh well......Lisa, we should bump up the "what would you serve Gerry for breakfast" thread again!

Delene

Lisa, I think we should "bump" that thread back up now, don't you?

As far as Gerry's abs being real, fake or partially real, fake, we all know what lengths Hollywood will go to make an actor look ridiculously buff and trim so the masses shall live in a world of chronic inferiority complexes and self consciousness. I think sometimes it's even more difficult on the actor in that regard as they have this false "image" to live up to then just like the comparison of Gerry's abs in 300 with his abs in Barbados. The man was probably afraid to take his shirt off for a long time after that movie!

I'm not saying he doesn't work like hell to get in to shape and I honestly hope he never has to get in to that kind of body again. I just don't think it's healthy or normal, but it's Hollywood and part of his job, however, my point is........gee, I've forgotten my point now! Oh well......Lisa, we should bump up the "what would you serve Gerry for breakfast" thread again!

Delene

Hmmm the thought that Gerry is easy to please ... tee hee ... personally, I'd kinda like to work up a sweat a bit. :cunning: I think both Gerry and I would end up with rockin' abs ... you know, making healthy dishes in the kitchen and all ...

As for bringing that thread back up, I see no point. We all know what we would answer NOW. :perverted:

Thanks for editing, Theresa.

I don't know about the "breakfast-specific" thread, but the Over 18 "What Would You Serve Gerry for Supper" (which includes breakfast if you manage to get him to stay over :lmao:) thread is here

Thank you Theresa. I just got a call that my grandfather died tonight. So I needed to smile. I saw this under New Posts. The last line made me laugh so hard that the dogs ran into the room :)

Again thanks. I needed this.

Annette