Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry and Jen presenting at GG

becozy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think either of them cared one way or the other about how they were introduced. Both are now making the movies that they want to, producing some of them and receiving a sizable salary for the others. And if they are as smart as I think they are they realize that award shows mean absolutely nothing, just another party, and there are always parties going on in Hollywood. Making movies people enjoy watching is what it is all about, I believe, and both Gerry and Jen are extremely popular with their fans.

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

Thanks Cara, i hadnt seen it. It was a lame joke (as you can tel by the lackluster response to it) but it wasnt that bad. Went with the joke he was telling about writers. i guess I didnt see a really big deal to get so upset about. They presented, got publicity for their new movie. And Im sure they make more than RG does. Laugh all the way to the bank Jen and Gerry. :lol:

Here's the link to watch RG's introduction of Gerry and Jen. I hope this is how one does this in the forum! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgK_1tZa3sc

This stupid computer has no sound. :tissues:

I still enjoyed the silent version however. :p

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

Zoe Saldana, also has a boyfriend, they`ve been together for a while now, as I understand. He`s an actor, named Keith Britton. So I hope that flirting was just all in good fun. lol

It was. Supposedly it was in line waiting for their limos. Harmless flirting is no big deal. :)

Edited by phoenixgirl

Oh my gosh! I get the joke now! You're right, introducing Gerry and Jen that way went right along with RG's joke! Duh! I guess no matter who had been presenting this particular award, Ricky would have done the same thing to them! I feel better now! :pointy:

Oh he so would have. No one got off easy with that man.

Sorry.....That Bloke from 300 has got a name!!!!!! It's Gerry Butler Mr! I think he was a little ticked just by the way he looked away and sucked in his breath! I like humor just like the rest of you but I know for a fact most actors don't like to be stereotyped into one role forever! It's okay for a while but after a while it's time to wrap it up in newspaper and throw it out with the trash! Having your name out there when you're a celeb is an important part of the business... It's bad enough I still hear ...not as often as I used to...who's Gerard Butler?!! I seem to recall Gerry mentioning once too that he was a little tired of "that 300 guy" remarks all the time! I also think JA is sick to death of Rachael from friends...she's moved on to the big screen and I'm sure she would like the respect that AJ gets in Hollywood...I know I would.. To me there is a big difference in what may be to some funny and to others just ignorance! Okay, I'm down off my soapbox now...Let the arrows fly!

:inshade: Frannie

:nanana:

Frannie hun, you said exactly what I felt. I don`t care if Ricky Gervais`s presenting of Gerry and Ms. Aniston was "all in good fun" and because he is a comedian and that abrasiveness is just "part of his comedic style"...it was just plain disrespectful. I would think for a big awards ceremony like that, the host especially would show a little more class than that. Apparently not.

300 came out in 2007...it is now 2010, Gerry has done some great work since then,and I myself jsut as a fan get annoyed enough with people whom still refer to him as the "bloke in 300", imagine how Gerry feels. And poor Jen Aniston, will the ghost of Rachel Green from Friends haunt her career forever? I hope not because she is very talented, and yet that character that she hasn`t played since 2004 is all she is seen as.

and Frannie you made an excellent point about Angelina Jolie, and how people will bend over backwards to make her look good and stress how versatile an actress she is, and yet will they do the same for Jennifer Ansiton? Nope.

Edited by AngelofMusic

Sorry.....That Bloke from 300 has got a name!!!!!! It's Gerry Butler Mr! I think he was a little ticked just by the way he looked away and sucked in his breath! I like humor just like the rest of you but I know for a fact most actors don't like to be stereotyped into one role forever! It's okay for a while but after a while it's time to wrap it up in newspaper and throw it out with the trash! Having your name out there when you're a celeb is an important part of the business... It's bad enough I still hear ...not as often as I used to...who's Gerard Butler?!! I seem to recall Gerry mentioning once too that he was a little tired of "that 300 guy" remarks all the time! I also think JA is sick to death of Rachael from friends...she's moved on to the big screen and I'm sure she would like the respect that AJ gets in Hollywood...I know I would.. To me there is a big difference in what may be to some funny and to others just ignorance! Okay, I'm down off my soapbox now...Let the arrows fly!

:inshade: Frannie

:nanana:

Frannie, I got a throw one at you, love. By AJ I guess you mean Angelina. Why would you think she gets more respect then JA? All I hear lately is jokes about her adopting more kids, etc. and how hen pecked Brad is.

None of us want Gerry to be typecast to any particular roll or genre but how many of us were encouraged and voted REPEATEDLY for Gerry to take the People's Choice award for "Favorite Action" star when we know he's more than that? So it's OK for us to promote him in that specific genre but not OK for one of his peers to make a reference to one of his action characters? And isn't that what "300" was basically? An action movie?

I gotta tell ya, I think too big a deal is being made of this and I saw no expression on either of their faces, Gerry's or Jen's, that suggest they were po'd about how they were announced. I could see Jen being disturbed more about a broken finger nail then that and Gerry, I don't think he'd feel he had the right to be upset with anything like that after being recognized and honored just to be up there on stage presenting at a prestigious event such as that. The fact that he's being asked to do that is a big deal and a huge acknowledgement. It's a bit like looking a gift horse in the mouth to be RESPECTED enough to be asked to present and expect to be introduced a certain way. He's not the "diva" type.

I was more concerned with why RG didn't say something about their new movie coming up but I think it might have been mentioned when they were preannounced a bit earlier and they were shown sitting at the table. Things happen so fast at those things sometimes you don't have time to let it all sink in but I'm sure if I'm leaving anything out or saying something out of context, I'm sure somebody will dig up the transcript to that particular segment and correct me on it. It's inivitable.

Knowing how RG might be, he might have discussed his intro to both of them earlier and they both said, "don't introduce me as such and such" and then, of course, he naturally did. That's show business. If Don Rickles had been hosting you can just imagine what would of come out of his mouth! Everyone would have been laughing about it because it's expected. I could imagine Rickles calling Gerry a Sean Connery wannabe who couldn't cut it as James Bond and Jennifer Aniston as the former Mrs. Pitt or something. How upset would you all have been with something like that? He's no holds barred and rudeness was his trademark and I think it's Gervais' as well! I'm just trying to make a point, but I digress. I think t's all in good fun for celebrities to "roast" each other in Hollywood. It's more terms of endearment then disrespect.

I think you guys are making too much of it but it's your opinion and you feel strongly about it and I respect your right to feel strongly about it but it just didn't matter in the grand scheme.

I'm ticked right now because I watched Inside Edition tonight and they made like Gerry and Jennifer were a couple. HERE WE GO AGAIN! Just when it seemed the rumors and silly stuff had faded away, now it's coming back but as their movie draws closer, I guess that's going to happen.! Again, the nature of the beast.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Hugs to all,

Delene

I am so glad that finally, after 5 years of fandom, I no longer feel the need to analyze every picture, video or event Gerry is involved with. I figure comedians are hired for gigs like the GG's because they keep things moving, and nowadays, people generally like Ricky's brand of sarcasm. I actually think he's kind of sweet.

I didn't really notice anything odd about his introduction of of Gerry and Jen, and then I read the discussions here and watched it a few times on video, and I still don't really see anything unusual. Just part of the Hollywood game. I didn't pick up on Gerry or Jen being insulted, and I really don't think Gerry minds being called, "that guy from 300" It was 300 that really gave him the recognition he needed to get his name out there. I am confident that although 300 will always be a catch phrase in his career, there will be other movies in the future that will give him instant recognition with the masses and his peers.

(To be honest, I really didn't get too far past Gerry's eyes and most of the show is a blur to me!)

Swannie

You're right. We're all entitled to our opinions and for some of us it is a big deal. I think it shows a huge lack of respect, including not even mentioning Bounty Hunter. And YES, Angelina gets way more respect than Jennifer. I think a lot of it has to do with being on TV for so long. Very few can make the transition like Clooney did (who I still remember from Facts of Life, Sisters, Roseanne, etc.). But jokes about adoption aside, Angelina is seen as a real movie star and is shown much respect - deservedly so.

And the big deal is only being made on the boards so who really cares? It's not like we're running out and writing letters or beating up Ricky Gervais. :lol: As for the Don Rickles thing, totally different in my book. First, this was Gervais' FIRST outing as a host. Second, Rickles was way more well known for his shtick and it would be expected. And see, I just don't think that way I guess is what my problem is. Those comments you think Rickles would have made would never even enter my mind to say or think were funny, even coming from Rickles.

We're all different; we all react differently and what's a big deal to one isn't to another and it should be okay. And I'm not going to talk about analyzing facial expressions, body language or anything cause that'll just lead to more debate. We're all allowed our own opinions and interpretations.

For me, the main issue isn't typecasting so much as it is simple respect and I really don't care if Gerry is upset or not. It offended me for him. This wasn't a roast; it was an award show. There should be an aire of class, and Gervais showed none to someone I care deeply about, and someone who I have liked for many years.

ETA: When you think about it ... the only reason these conversations drag on for days is because we can't sit in a room and discuss them in a few minutes time. LOL

Edited by phoenixgirl

Just to chime in quickly, I did see an expression on their faces! I thought they both looked a little less than pleased. But, that being said, I don't think they're sitting around reflecting on it after the fact... they've both just got too much going on to be worried about what happened two days ago.

Steph

I am so glad that finally, after 5 years of fandom, I no longer feel the need to analyze every picture, video or event Gerry is involved with.

Swannie

I don't necessarily think we're overanalyzing Swannie... just commenting on something that some of us happened to notice. And if we keep commenting, well, that's just because it's a discussion, now isn't it? And the difference of opinion leads to revisiting and additional analysis, which I believe you just took part in! :lol:

:hugs:

Steph

Ricky Gervais keeps being referred to as a comedian. The man is not funny...ever. I have watched him, not by choice, a number of times. I have a great sense of humor, and he's never made me laugh, ever.

What I did notice was that very few of the people in the room were laughing much at what he said. Gervais even mentioned something to that effect fairly early in the telecast. I've watched a wide variety of hosts over the years that truly were "hip" and "clever" and "funny" as hosts. And it wasn't necessary for them to disrespect or disregard other performers. There is a line between clever and crass.

Whether Gerry, Jen, Sir Paul, or Mel, or any of the other Gervais "targets" let his comments roll off of them is a moot point... how else COULD they react? They were there to do a job. To make a scene during or after the inconsiderate and unprofessional comments would serve absolutely no purpose.

As a viewer, for me, Gervais was tedious and boring, and the program would have gone more quickly without him at all. But no one asked me so that's that.

As for our man, Gerard... I have never seen him present himself poorly, and he did a fine job Sunday as well. Don't know if he gets his finesse naturally, from his legal training, or from his mum. I suspect it's simply a lovely combination. And aren't we lucky for that?

Isn't it nice to know that the man we admire truly is a man of class, humor, and modesty?

I think JA will always carry that "Rachel" stigma, due to being in that role for so long. Angelina has not had a tv career, thus will most probably not be stereotyped nor carry one role with her always. I'm not a JA fan. Never watched friends, and don't like most of the movies she makes. I did think she did a great job in "Derailed". I think she needs to get away from the Rom-Com type, and focus on more serious roles. How many ways can another rom-com be made? She is stereotyping herself by doing all these typical JA films. I think it's time for her to break away from whomever is getting her these crap roles.

One thing for sure, her stylist usully gets her just right, except this year. You'd think the person reading scripts for her would do the same. Maybe it's time to start doing some firing and time to start living outside the box a little Jen...!

Edited by Jennifer10

Ricky Gervais keeps being referred to as a comedian. The man is not funny...ever. I have watched him, not by choice, a number of times. I have a great sense of humor, and he's never made me laugh, ever.

Oh, I have a great sense of humor too and you don't have to be a comedian to make me laugh either! In fact, some of the funniest people I know on the planet aren't comedians.

I think JA will always carry that "Rachel" stigma, due to being in that role for so long. Angelina has not had a tv career, thus will most probably not be stereotyped nor carry one role with her always. I'm not a JA fan. Never watched friends, and don't like most of the movies she makes. I did think she did a great job in "Derailed". I think she needs to get away from the Rom-Com type, and focus on more serious roles. How many ways can another rom-com be made? She is stereotyping herself by doing all these typical JA films. I think it's time for her to break away from whomever is getting her these crap roles.

One thing for sure, her stylist always gets her just right. You'd think the person reading scripts for her would do the same. Maybe it's time to start doing some firing and time to start living outside the box a little Jen...!

There are some actors who should be typecast. I'm not saying this is the situation with JA but there are roles I just can't see her in. She's kind of a Doris Day without the singing and doing a serious drama or thriller might not suit her and it may be best to stick with what works for her. JMO.

Isn't it nice to know that the man we admire truly is a man of class, humor, and modesty?

Absolutely. That's one of the reasons we love him so much.

Yes it is and his media training didn't hurt him none either! :funnyup:

Delene

There are some actors who should be typecast. I'm not saying this is the situation with JA but there are roles I just can't see her in. She's kind of a Doris Day without the singing and doing a serious drama or thriller might not suit her and it may be best to stick with what works for her. JMO.

Delene

True, but after seeing "Derailed" I think she needs to extend herself more. I personally don't take her seriously as an actress, and do not see her movies. If she branched out a little more, it might win me and others more, by distancing/removing herself from "Rachel". Edited by Jennifer10