Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
beacon1

Gerry's Law Aspirations

Has anyone ever asked/heard what type of law Gerry was hoping to practice?

Trial Law?--he would have been a formidable opponent in a courtroom. And, I'm sure he would have had a powerful effect on any jury.

Corporate?

Family?

Wills/Estates?

Tax?

I'm not familiar with Scottish Law (except for what I read on Wikipedia). It seems like he would have had a lot of interesting choices. I've always wondered what his goal when he was studying and then working with a firm.

There is an interview of a few years ago whilst promoting Dear Frankie. Link below to where it can be downloaded from multimedia:

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...mp;showfile=144

Towards the end of this interview Gerard mentions the various aspects of law that he studied. Tax, trusts, executries, corporate law ... it's a good interview.

There is an interview of a few years ago whilst promoting Dear Frankie. Link below to where it can be downloaded from multimedia:

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...mp;showfile=144

Towards the end of this interview Gerard mentions the various aspects of law that he studied. Tax, trusts, executries, corporate law ... it's a good interview.

Omigosh, THANKS! And, I'll bet he's really good at reading his contracts and keeping an eye on things. Not all performers have background in law or business which help them protect themselves. I know you can hire good people...but not everyone is good.

Well, I suppose that as a student, he had to study all areas of law, at least to a certain extend. In several interviews he mentioned the law firm he practised (and was fired from) - among others, the intervirew in Esquire last year, the interview with Bonnie about Dear Frankie - it looked like he went to this position (although a very prestigious one), because he was late and had not much other choices. I can imagine that a civil law area was not too challenging for him (althought by itself it is), I think he would be wonderful in a court room - a DA for criminal cases for example, especially in your system, when an attorney has to be an actor in a way (much more so than in our system). :wave::wave::wave:

Edited by Donnie

My understanding of Scottish law is that there are two types of practicing attorneys-- "solicitors" and "barristers." The barristers are the attorneys who do actual trial practice. Solicitors, in contrast, deal with out of court legal matters. Gerry was a trainee solicitor.

:wave:

Steph

That is obvious (more precisely, solicitors and advocates - in Scotland). But my understanding is you specialize/practise... after the law school, depending on the fact where you get the trainee position (which is very competitive - and when he passed his exams, not many choices were left, as the interview for Esquire mentions)... :pointy::pointy::pointy:

Edited by Donnie

Gerry was training to be a corporate lawyer dealing with corporations, contracts, (in American terms) etc. Nothing exciting like being a trial lawyer.

Well, this is what we all know already (I think it was Morton Fraser office in Edinburgh). My point was that it might not have been the career he chose (his favourite/preferrable), but the one he had the opportunity to start. As I understood it, they were supposed to do some legal practise and "looking around" careerwise between graduating from law school and finishing the Diploma (in his case 1992/1993, or one year earlier?), but it was probably the year he was in the States (was supposed to have an internship, but was two weeks later, then did "wacky wire" thing, it might have been even the year when his father died...). So, finally, he was lucky enough to get a very prestigious placement, but probably not in a legal area that he would have actually preferred...

:pointy::pointy::pointy:

Edited by Donnie

I don't think there was an area he 'preferred'. As happens with a lot of people, school is one thing but actually having to do 'it' day after day, you soon discover what you trained for is not how you want to spend your life. He always wanted to be an actor so his heart wasn't in it. Getting fired, devastating though it may have been in the moment, was the best thing that ever happened to him - and us. :p It freed him for any possibility. Some of us wish it HAD happened to us - the firing part. Life might have taken a different direction if we weren't intent on meeting the expectations of others.

jane

Hi gals

http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/schooloflaw/

this is the link to the law school at the university of Glasgow where Gerry studied. It may or may not be of interest to you :) xx

Thanks Heather. We had a thread a year or so ago about the school and Gerry's DLitt.

Here it is ... starting on Post #54 http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...26013&st=45

Edited by phoenixgirl

Hi gals

this is the link to the law school at the university of Glasgow where Gerry studied. It may or may not be of interest to you :) xx

Thanks Heather. We had a thread a year or so ago about the school and Gerry's DLitt.

Here it is ... starting on Post #54 http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...26013&st=45

Thank you so much for reposting that link. I think I'm officially in awe of Gerry now. Fantastic acting abilities aside, he is a well-educated, bright man. I wonder how many talk show hosts and reporters understand what he has accomplished beside looking extremely hot and being able to yell "This is SPARTA!"

Again, perfect prize for a contest: An evening of conversation with Gerard Butler. (I would probably have to cram!) ;)

Hi gals

Thank you so much for reposting that link. I think I'm officially in awe of Gerry now. Fantastic acting abilities aside, he is a well-educated, bright man. I wonder how many talk show hosts and reporters understand what he has accomplished beside looking extremely hot and being able to yell "This is SPARTA!"

Again, perfect prize for a contest: An evening of conversation with Gerard Butler. (I would probably have to cram!) ;)

WOW! This is BIG! I had not even heard of d.litt before but it sounds very impressive! It's just that now I am confused. On one hand it is stated on the site of the University that Gerry received his d.litt degree in 1992. But on the other hand he himself has said that he did a Law Honours degree which (based on this link http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/schoolofl...aduatedegrees/) lasts for 4 years and leads to an LLB and then a diploma in legal practice (here's the link for that, takes a year and sounds very interesting: http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/schooloflaw/diploma/). Then he did the 2 years of qualification. All that adds to the seven years he has often referred to as the years he devoted to law. I also read somewhere in the site of the University (can't find it now) that you can apply for a d.litt seven years after your initial graduation. ???

Trust me, I am very impressed and I would love for Gerry to be a Doctor of Letters, I just don't see how this could have been, maybe there's a mistake on the site. An LLB seems more like it, although I am sure that if Gerry had stuck with the law he could easily have a d.litt by now. I wish someone could shed some light. Here's a thought, the next time anyone of us meets him, that's a juicy unusual question to ask.

Theresa

Maybe they've changed the process slightly Theresa.

Some of the courses offered now will be different to those offered at the time that he studied.

I went to Glasgow uni...that's why i'm thinking the course could have changed slightly. I know that my department has changed and the courses offered have changed since I was there.

Heather xx

Some of the courses offered now will be different to those offered at the time that he studied.

I went to Glasgow uni...that's why i'm thinking the course could have changed slightly. I know that my department has changed and the courses offered have changed since I was there.

Heather xx

This is soooo intriguing! I wish there was a way we could find out for sure, I mean Doctor of Letters in such a short time, wow, the man must be a genious, not that I doubted it, but this would be actual proof.

BTW, I noticed you have a photo of an invitation to what I believe to be the after party to LAC's UK premiere. Am I right? Did you get to go? Do share! :-)

Theresa

Heather xx

This is soooo intriguing! I wish there was a way we could find out for sure, I mean Doctor of Letters in such a short time, wow, the man must be a genious, not that I doubted it, but this would be actual proof.

BTW, I noticed you have a photo of an invitation to what I believe to be the after party to LAC's UK premiere. Am I right? Did you get to go? Do share! :-)

Theresa

A DLitt isn't the same as earning a Doctorate degree. We had this discussion in the thread I posted the link to. It means he wrote something really awesome that was published.

NOW ... whoever finds THAT gets a whole box of cookies!!!! :lol:

I don't think there was an area he 'preferred'. As happens with a lot of people, school is one thing but actually having to do 'it' day after day, you soon discover what you trained for is not how you want to spend your life. He always wanted to be an actor so his heart wasn't in it. Getting fired, devastating though it may have been in the moment, was the best thing that ever happened to him - and us. :p It freed him for any possibility. Some of us wish it HAD happened to us - the firing part. Life might have taken a different direction if we weren't intent on meeting the expectations of others.

jane

Well, luckilly for us. I think that if he really tried hard (which he possibly did not at that time, for many different reasons) he could have had a job in an area of law where he would be able to be an actor as well - and might have become the best deffence attorney in Scotland, which might have been even fulfilling for him, but not so many people would have known him!!!

BTW, I really wonder for last at least two years (there were some threads about it on other sites as well), if the DLitt is not a missprint, I know that our ex-president has this degree as well (from the University of Glasgow), but he is a distinguished playwright and got it as a honour degree. I still miss the LLB degree in GB' career record, but he had to have gotten it, if he ever started a legal career (and, apparently, got a Diploma in Legal Practice)!!! And he studied in a very nice campus. Have you seen it in reality? :pointy::pointy::pointy:

Edited by Donnie