Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry walking Lolita

terezoulini

Yes, he could and no matter how well trained a dog is, in a split second they can become distracted by another dog, squirrels, cats and dart or run out infront of traffic or someone riding a bike. The only time I think leashless is OK is in an open park that allows it or out in the country. A big problem in Colorado as well as LA, is coyotes in urban areas. They are braisen and anything around the size of a cat or under is fair game, literally, and they are quick and I've had them walk right up and look me in the face. They keep their distance out here in the country because they have plenty to eat. The more encroached their habitat gets in the city, the shorter supply their food and they'll do just about anything for a meal and they're real desensitized by humans. I feel bad for them but I'd feel worse if something happened to precious little Lolita. Scotland has no preditory animals so Gerry may not be taking that possibility as serious as he should. Wasn't it Jessica Simpson who's dog went missing out of her yard not too long ago? I wouldn't leave a small dog unattended in a yard anywhere where preditors are, even an owl can swipe down and pick up a small dog before you can blink an eye.

Lolita is looking a bit ... zaftig ... I doubt an owl can swoop her anywhere. :lol: She is very well taken care of.

That message brought to you by "Wild Kingdom" and the National Geographic network, now back to our regularly scheduled program.

:lmao:

If you look at the pictures, Lolita is never more than a few steps away from Gerry. Misguided or not, I think his thought process is that if any danger should arise, he can lean down and scoop her up in no time. Plus, she's obviously very well trained, so if her getting distracted by a squirrel or cat doesn't concern Gerry, it's probably not an issue.

And come on... who expects that puppy to get distracted when she's got the love of her life there beside her? :wuv:

Steph

We don't know the situation. Gerry may have taken the leash off for just a minute for the pictures. Remember one of the pictures was shown in an article. It might have been a photo shoot so-to-speak. He did have his leash. I've seen pictures in the past with her on a leash. Even the video where Gerry bent down to pet and kiss another dog...their leashes got tangled up. Lolita was on a leash.

I think Gerry probably watches out for his little sweetheart closely. I don't think we can make any judgment calls on him when we don't really know what was taking place. Pictures never tell the whole story.

I have coyotes in my neck of the woods. At three in the morning, I heard them get one of my neighbor's little dogs right out of their backyard. I couldn't do anything because I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. It echoed off the houses and walls and hills. Believe me when I say, I couldn't sleep after that. All I could do was cry. It was an awful sound.

No one wants Lolita to get hurt. This site tries to keep light hearted. I was laughing at "rebel without a leash" the play on words, not the idea of being careless.

Sally

:funnyup:

For those who think Gerry should have a leash, if you look at his right pocket, there is something purple sticking out. I bet he has one to use if he should need it. Lolita is so good at staying by him, he probably doesn't feel the need for her to be on it all the time. (Just my thoughts)

Sally

How is having a leash in his pocket supposed to help if a situation occurs? An unfriendly dog can come up to her, she could walk into the road and get hit by a car, etc. Dogs are supposed to be on leash in public unfenced areas at all times! For the dog's safety as well as the owner's well-being. If any kind of incident did occur, he's the one who would be held legally accountable. Plus he's on the phone and she's behind him, so she's not even being watched.

I have to say I agree. I'm not trying to criticize but I think this when I see ANYONE walking a dog not on a leash. I don't know the law in La but around here all dogs off of your private property have to be on a leash, as protection to the dog, the owner and anyone else. My concern isnt that Lolita isnt trained, but any OTHER animal may not be so well behaved. And dogs are QUICK! I was walking my dog and another that wasnt on a leash came up and started biting him. I kept pulling mine away but he fought back and you do NOT want to get between two fighting dogs. Okay I digress, sorry bout that.

And I thought what was in his pocket was more likely a bag to pick up any presents Lolita may leave behind. At least I HOPE thats what it is. :lol:

Here’s my rule of thumb on these sorts of things. I don’t know Gerry. I am not among his circle of friends. I have no influence whatsoever, so I can’t judge, or advise based on a handful of paparazzi photos. Not knowing the situation at his home in LA, what sort of backyard, does Lolita have an enclosed run? Is she let loose, supervised, who knows? If Lolita lived with me I would no doubt do things differently but Lolita would find life very different instead of an overgrown goofy male companion she would have an overgrown goofy cat companion and one cranky aging human companion who would use a leash for walks. But she would get visits to my local coffee house, which offers doggy treats, fresh water and outdoor seating for people and their dogs.

All leash-issues aside from me, those photos are absolutely darling. I can't help but love the second one with Lolita sniffing the curb. It's nice to see celebs actually walking their own dog. Although I do normally regard paps as annoying stalkers, it's not every day that you see someone like Gerry doing everyday things. However, I did expect it from Gerry, but others in his status usually have hired people, or no pets, etc.

Also, Lolita somehow reminds me of the sort of pug who would be reluctant to go for a walk. I have a friend who had a pug like that, and the mention of a walk from her would just send him into the if-looks-could-kill mode of "You want to go for a walk? Be my guest. I'm staying here." Lol.

I am perfectly content to let Gerry live his own life, go where he wants to, with whom he wants to, in any manner he chooses. I don't worry. I don't critique. I don't know enough about what he does or how he does it or why to offer advice or correction. I trust that he has gotten this far with out my wisdom and he will get even farther without me as his anchor. :D

And, yes, any picture with Lolita is sweet and I don't know how or why the paps were there other than it doesn't have to be an actual pap these days. It can be a neighbor, a passer-by, a service person. Anybody can have a camera in dozens of styles (some very tiny and compact) and anybody can sell it or phone it in or transfer it on their computer to a waiting outlet. I'm just happy to see he and Lolita with a little together time. :p

jane

Ooohhh!when i see those pictures of Lolita I want to pick her up and cuddle her. She is so adorable.

She looks like she is well taken care off, she is one lucky little pug

I always put my dog on a leash. I have a Westie and they love to chase squirrels and any other small creature they encounter. Can't trust him off a leash. I have heard that Pugs are not high strung. Lolita looks well trained and she has King Leonidas to protect her so things should be ok. It seems Lolita loves to be free just like her Daddy.

Connie

If you look at the pictures, Lolita is never more than a few steps away from Gerry. Misguided or not, I think his thought process is that if any danger should arise, he can lean down and scoop her up in no time. Plus, she's obviously very well trained, so if her getting distracted by a squirrel or cat doesn't concern Gerry, it's probably not an issue.

And come on... who expects that puppy to get distracted when she's got the love of her life there beside her? :wuv:

Steph

But what if "Rupert the squirrel" comes charging across the street from the near by park , what then?

Edited by planetwalkers

• 4 weeks later...

Although I like the leash on the doggie....not my business.....I have to say if Lolita is like all the rest of us females she's not about to leave her Daddy's side or backside !!! :wuv:

:wave: Frannie

Although I like the leash on the doggie....not my business.....I have to say if Lolita is like all the rest of us females she's not about to leave her Daddy's side or backside !!! :wuv:

:wave: Frannie

Very well said, Frannie, and great point...like you would ever leave his side if he loved you and wanted you right there! What in the world would you have to run after if Gerry was what you would be running away from? Defies ANY kind of logic!!!

:doh:

The likelihood of a predator swooping up little Lolita with Gerry beside her are less than the odds of a dog not trained off-leash to run unto traffic if it finds itself free of the leash.

An owl? Aren't they night time critters?

Gross alert - true story - couple in Boulder, Colorado had a mountain lion come into their house through their bedroom window middle of the day and scoop up their 75 pound lab and jump back out the window. A woman here in town had a bear come into her house through an open window while she was on the phone and she screamed and threw her phone at the bear who ran for the open window it had come in through.

Our rule of thumb is we hike with our dogs off leash and walk with the leash on busy streets - but since we are surrounded by 2.2 million acres of forest that usually isn't a problem. The Forest Service here has a great rule of thumb, including wilderness areas - dogs can be off leash if they will come back when you call them. We are out hiking and climbing mountains and snow shoeing all of the time and we have never had a critter problem with our dogs.

Ziftig - I love that!

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

The likelihood of a predator swooping up little Lolita with Gerry beside her are less than the odds of a dog not trained off-leash to run unto traffic if it finds itself free of the leash.

An owl? Aren't they night time critters?

Gross alert - true story - couple in Boulder, Colorado had a mountain lion come into their house through their bedroom window middle of the day and scoop up their 75 pound lab and jump back out the window. A woman here in town had a bear come into her house through an open window while she was on the phone and she screamed and threw her phone at the bear who ran for the open window it had come in through.

Our rule of thumb is we hike with our dogs off leash and walk with the leash on busy streets - but since we are surrounded by 2.2 million acres of forest that usually isn't a problem. The Forest Service here has a great rule of thumb, including wilderness areas - dogs can be off leash if they will come back when you call them. We are out hiking and climbing mountains and snow shoeing all of the time and we have never had a critter problem with our dogs.

Ziftig - I love that!

Owls will hunt any time of the day, particularly in the early morning hours just as dawn is breaking.

Goes to show you if a predator will boldly come through a window in a populated area and take a dog right out of it, they will and can certainly snatch a loose one in the blink of an eye and one much easier to carry! You've proved my point!

Here's another "gross alert" for you. The guy across the road used to do "farm kills" when he had a steer butchered rather then take it in for processing. I finally had to call the sheriff to get him to stop it because doing that was attracking every coyote, cougar and wild dog pack, in the county when they smelled the blood and whatever else was left on the ground. We had new calves here on our farm that were then put in danger. I fully understand the dangers of predators and then some, even dogs when they smell the sent of blood. Dogs operate on instinct first and it will and may supercede any good training they've encountered.

A friend of mine was hiking in Elk Meadow up in Evergreen near her house with her two goldens and a mountain lion met them on the trail and the dogs went crazy and it ran. Dogs were on leash. She said if she hadn't had them contained, they would have probably chased after it. She also said if she hadn't had the dogs, she might have met with her fate.

I know predators can get desparate during seasons when food supply is short and come in to populated areas, but they usually won't unless it is during the "witching hours". That's why the usual rule is to never let your pets outside or hike, walk or jog during the hours between four and six am and pm., especially when you live in the mountains.

I lived at 9100 feet and never had a problem with loosing any of my animals to predators, however, I did encounter a few on my own when I was walking once in the middle of the day down the fire road and saw a lone wolf and it ran back through the woods, he was awsome! Another time a black bear came up and tried to get in to a trash can that was locked and the dogs ran him up a tree and I had to actually rescue the bear and go out and pull them away so the bear could escape and then another time early in the morning when I was leaving for work a mountain lion crossed infront of my Jeep dragging a buck carcass across the road. That will make a believer out of ya every time seeing them drag something over double their size!

The more we encroach on wildlife habitat, the more they will encroach in to human populations, it's a sad and scary reality.

I did forget one other time, however. A fox came through my window at work in downtown Evergreen and snatched my bag of potato chips off of my desk! He then ran back through the window like the devil himself was on his heels! True story! :funnyup:

Delene