Gerard Butler GALS

1/28 - Variety - The Movies We Love

Rendita

I think this is a great little article and so true. Critically acclaimed are not necessarily the movies we love to see.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=aw...s=1&ref=ssp

2 excerpts.

Equally remarkable is Gerard Butler in "Law Abiding Citizen" as he evolves from Mr. Nice Guy to smarter-than-anyone revenge killer, targeting his family's murderers and the overly lenient justice system. You've seen this plot before, but Butler is totally original. His character is so multidimensional that the audience is simultaneously horrified and rooting for him. It's another facet from the actor after his work in romantic comedies, musicals, small-scale dramas and actioners like "300" (which, come to think of it, was another terrific film ignored in awards-land).

And one of these days, I will be flipping around my hundreds of TV stations and will happily rewatch Paul Rudd playing air-guitar as he attempts a reggae accent ("Slap-a da bass, mon!") or Gerard Butler slyly gain the upper hand in a verbal smackdown with a female judge -- two of the year's most enjoyable scenes.

So, take that to your dinner party.

That was definitely one of my favorite scenes. ".....and I bet you take it up the fooking a$$"

Loved it. Such a great movie

That was definitely one of my favorite scenes. ".....and I bet you take it up the fooking a$$"

Egads, I don't remember that scene! Can someone refresh me? Some parts of the movie I unfortunately lost concentration. Of course, it might also be that I don't know who Paul Rudd is, nor remember anyone playing air-guitar. Lol.

They're talking about 2 different movies. Law Abiding Citizen & I Love You Man. Paul Rudd was in I Love You Man. The line & scene I was referring to was the scene in Law Abiding Citizen when Clyde is before the judge who nearly lets him out on bail. He yells the line I quoted as he is taken from the court room. It's really a great scene.

I love that scene in LAC, and that was actually my favorite line in the movie. I really like what these articles had to say, both were very accurate descriptions.

"I Love You, Man" was the other movie they were referring too. I recommend it, its very funny. Both Paul Rudd and Jason Segel are a riot in it. :D Jason Segel, hehe. lol

You've seen this plot before, but Butler is totally original.

What a great review! Thanks, Ren. I hope eventually EVERYONE sees this about Gerry. I also like the reference to 300 and it being ignored at award time.

That line was great, and I can't wait to see the commentary and hopefully find out if that was ad-libbed by Gerry or scripted. LOL

I'm still pisssed that I won't get to see the Blu Ray version, hence I won't get to see the extra scenes. :tantrum: Hopefully they'll end up on You Tube or something.

ETA: "I Love You Man" was hilarious! If you haven't seen it, I recommend renting it.

Edited by phoenixgirl

I love any article that gives LAC the attention and acclaim that it sorely deserves. I could go on and on about how much I loved this movie, but I think I've done that enough on previous threads. ;) Just suffice to say, I can't wait for the DVD.

Thanks for finding this Ren!

Steph

I could go on and on about how much I loved this movie,

I know what you mean. It's such a shame that the reviews and critics have almost ripped it to pieces. A few places had some good reviews when it opened here yesterday, but then it had some bad. I don't understand why, it's a brilliant, thrilling chase of wits and it really deserves more credit that it receives. Granted, I wasn't at my best when I saw it, however I loved it regardless so when it comes to DVD and my head is a little clearer, I know I'll be able to love it more the next, and of course the next 93809480586 times. :wuv:

I sent an email to the author of the article thanking him and mentioned a few other GB movies.....ie Dear Frankie, One More Kiss.

He sent a lovely little reply and stated he enjoyed Dear Frankie, had recommended it to some of his friends and they liked it as well. He said, once again, that Gerard's performance in LAC was one of the best of the year!! Finally a critic who sees what we all see.........TALENT.... (not to mention lips, eyes, stature, and that "chivalrous and infectiously prickly" personality..)

I think this is a great little article and so true. Critically acclaimed are not necessarily the movies we love to see.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=aw...s=1&ref=ssp

2 excerpts.

Equally remarkable is Gerard Butler in "Law Abiding Citizen" as he evolves from Mr. Nice Guy to smarter-than-anyone revenge killer, targeting his family's murderers and the overly lenient justice system. You've seen this plot before, but Butler is totally original. His character is so multidimensional that the audience is simultaneously horrified and rooting for him. It's another facet from the actor after his work in romantic comedies, musicals, small-scale dramas and actioners like "300" (which, come to think of it, was another terrific film ignored in awards-land).

And one of these days, I will be flipping around my hundreds of TV stations and will happily rewatch Paul Rudd playing air-guitar as he attempts a reggae accent ("Slap-a da bass, mon!") or Gerard Butler slyly gain the upper hand in a verbal smackdown with a female judge -- two of the year's most enjoyable scenes.

So, take that to your dinner party.

This is a great article, isn't it? And I agree it's so true. I finally got to see LAC (it opened here in Oz on Thursday). I loved it and thought Gerry was wonderful.

Cheers,

Vicki

Edited by Vicki

Hi... :wave:

I'm new to this board and therefore don't have an advanced degree in Butlerology, but my take on the Hollywood disrespect for him is this: Even though GB has been working professionally for what - 12-15 years? - he didn't go to Julliard or cut his teeth on the Shakespearean stage over in the UK, and he doesn't have a celebrity "pedigree" (see Drew Barrymore, Kate Hudson, George Clooney), so therefore they don't take him seriously, or worse, feel like he's infringing on territory. Hollywood critics consider themselves exceptionally elite and if someone just comes out of nowhere--no matter how talented--they still stick their noses in the air.

It's pretty cool that someone--especially over at Variety--is seeing what the Butler can bring. After all, he's worked with some amazingly talented people (Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes, etc.). You can't stand on a stage with people like that unless you can hold your own.

I'm new to this board and therefore don't have an advanced degree in Butlerology, but my take on the Hollywood disrespect for him is this: Even though GB has been working professionally for what - 12-15 years? - he didn't go to Julliard or cut his teeth on the Shakespearean stage over in the UK, and he doesn't have a celebrity "pedigree" (see Drew Barrymore, Kate Hudson, George Clooney), so therefore they don't take him seriously, or worse, feel like he's infringing on territory. Hollywood critics consider themselves exceptionally elite and if someone just comes out of nowhere--no matter how talented--they still stick their noses in the air.

It's pretty cool that someone--especially over at Variety--is seeing what the Butler can bring. After all, he's worked with some amazingly talented people (Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes, etc.). You can't stand on a stage with people like that unless you can hold your own.

an advanced degree in Butlerology...I like that!!! :D

Does GALS offer classes in Butlerology? If so, SIGN ME UP... ;)

Welcome, Kalliope, and I honestly believe you have a great point. My best friend (a huge GB fan who doesn't post) and I have said this for a while now. That Hollywood feels like Gerry is an outsider infringing on their territory. Let's face it, Brad Pitt didn't get taken seriously until he married Jen and then made a movie with Clooney, and then really when he was with Angelina (another pedigree). Even after his GG for 12 Monkeys years ago, Brad was still another pretty face.

I hope more and more there will be reviews like this. Gerry deserves it and more.

I love any article that gives LAC the attention and acclaim that it sorely deserves. I could go on and on about how much I loved this movie, but I think I've done that enough on previous threads. ;) Just suffice to say, I can't wait for the DVD.

Thanks for finding this Ren!

Steph

I agree with you completely,I loved LAC,I saw it twice.(yes only twice) With the complexity of the character,I think it was one of his best performances ever.

Advanced degree in Butlerology, that is so cute! I want a title like that. Lol. Welcome to GALS. No need to be experienced or otherwise, just join in the fun. A friend of mine is a member, but so far is only just delving into the Gerantsy, so you're certainly not alone!

I completely understand where you're coming from. A lot of friends and family really don't understand my "obsession" I guess you could call it (although I prefer the term 'admiration') for Gerry, because they don't believe he is "Hollywood" enough. It's not the status that concerns me, though. Gerry himself to me is star quality. not just because of his work (although that is a factor) but his personality, his charm, etc. To me, that's a star. One that can balance a "normalcy" within society and just be a brilliant person when working. A manager at KFC would get the same title from me if they held the same attributes.

Once again, it's wondeful to see you around!

I've often wondered if I was just paranoid to think there was almost a conspiracy to deny GB the admiration and credit he deserves. I've thought that maybe part of it was the apparent dislike of the hughly successful Andrew Lloyd Webber - an ALW production can't be good, or anyone in it Hollywood says. How else to explain the bad reviews for a stupendous movie and the sexiest Phantom ever? Plus, I get the impression GB doesn't play the Hollywood game. Whatever the answer, I also am SO glad he's finally getting some credit (and Stephen King's tribute to LAC was also worth noting).God! I can't wait for the next Gerry movie! I'm wearing out my DVDs!

I've often wondered if I was just paranoid to think there was almost a conspiracy to deny GB the admiration and credit he deserves. I've thought that maybe part of it was the apparent dislike of the hughly successful Andrew Lloyd Webber - an ALW production can't be good, or anyone in it Hollywood says. How else to explain the bad reviews for a stupendous movie and the sexiest Phantom ever? Plus, I get the impression GB doesn't play the Hollywood game. Whatever the answer, I also am SO glad he's finally getting some credit (and Stephen King's tribute to LAC was also worth noting).God! I can't wait for the next Gerry movie! I'm wearing out my DVDs!

I agree whole heartedly with all the other comments starting with the newest member Kalliope,thank you,I have felt this way about Hollywood too ,they just seem to pick and choose their favorites, my belief is give credit where its due,its only FAIR,I Will always support Gerard in all that he do 100%,and If and when Hollywood opens their eyes to see how Great an ACTOR Gerard is ,In my book he will always be a WINNER,OSCAR or Not.

Politics can drive me crazy sometimes! There should be no IN because of pedigree in acting, only the talent of the person doing the work. Gerry was awesome in LAC and he didn't even get a nod. Well, some of his movies will be around long after many Hollywood favorites are long forgotten. Look at POTO. That one isn't going away. Critics be ******! Gerry is so much better than Hollywood anyway. He is universal. So there! I get uppity every time I think of 'Dear Frankie' being ignored the way it was. Ok, I said what I wanted. I appreciate Stephen King for coming forward. Maybe in time...

Sally

P.S. Hi to all the newbies! Good comments!

Edited by cybrsal

I really hoped that Hollywood would have recognized Gerry for his appraisal of Clyde Shelton in LAC. He managed to make that guy human. You really felt for him and understood his motivation. Instead of everyone automatically siding with the prosector, the audience found themselves pulling for Clyde to wake-up the judicial system.

It was brilliant work and he deserved recognition for it. Here's hoping Corialanos has enough of a "pedigree" (Ralph Fienes, etc) to get noticed. Or "Preacher Man" to be a sleeper hit, come out of nowhere and blow everyone away. Gerry is due for some major recognition.

There's "politics" in most everything. It seems that Hollywood has of late a rash of "talent" that they're turning out that are, quite frankly, not so talented. It's like doctors in a way. Most doctors go in to the profession for the right reasons, to practice medicine and the art of healing. Many, unfortunately, go in for the money and prestige. I think acting is that way too.

I'm sick of all the reality "stars" who get their fame and fortune by voyerism rather than raw talent. I'm so sick of the Kardasians I could scream and I don't even watch the show! It's not interesting. Where are all the Clark Gables, Spencer Tracys, Montgomery Cliffs, Liz Taylors, Bette Davis', Joan Crawfords? I could go on and on. I have not seen the Book of Eli yet. I opted for The Tooth Fairy and T saw it. He said Gary Oldman was fantastic. Has he ever won anything? I adore GO.

There are many good actors in Hollywood and few great ones. Then there are a slew of no talent hacks, as far as I'm concerned, just in it for the fame and money and just because some come from a celebrity family, does not mean they dipped in the talent gene pool, not even with their big toe.

But I think a lot of it is a popularity contest, not just with their acting peers, but with the Hollywood powers that be. It seems to be a tight knit bunch.

Delene