Gerard Butler GALS
becozy

1/30 - Ordinary Life: Amy Macdonald's song inspired by Gerard Butler

from: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/2010/...86908-22006187/

excerpt from the article:

Exclusive: 80s rockers Foreigner are shock support for Amy Macdonald

Jan 30 2010

Amy also took time out to record a special acoustic version of her new song Ordinary Life for the Daily Record website.

And she revealed Scots film star Gerard Butler inspired the tune. She said: "I was at Gerry Butler's premiere in Glasgow. At party, Gerry told me he loved me and had me on his iPod.

"I stayed in the background but felt bad because so many people were talking to him.

"He had the premiere here because he wanted his family to come and was trying to talk to them while other people were hounding him.

"He must have posed for 100 photos and it made me realise I want to hold on to my ordinary life.

"Gerry doesn't know he inspired the song but maybe one day he might want to use it in a film."

read the entire article here

I always rethink my career choice when I read stuff like this. At some points, I understand that it's wild, crazy, and probably 70% of the time extremely irritating to be constantly hounded and demanded attention from. I think Gerry handles it in the best possible way he can, and he does a fantastic job. However, I suppose when you delve into it, there's a certain level you expect at first until it all becomes this big mass of "oh uh, what have I gotten myself into?"

I must admit though, I have no idea who Amy MacDonald is. If she's a modern artist, that would explain why. I don't listen to much modern music these days passed the 90's apart from the rare pre-00's and pre-90's who've still been going strong. However, I do see her perception. I think if I do end reaching my goal, I would rather be a small-time but a well appreciated member of it all. If that makes sense.

That being said, thank you for posting. :)

Edited by Melodie

I don't think you can have it both ways. Your life is either ordinary or it's extraordinary. I'm not sure Gerry is the kind of person who ever wanted a normal or ordinary life but probably had no idea what he was in for to some degree. I guess you can always try to maintain some kind of normalcy in your life when you reach a level of fame. You have to take the bad with the good, the bitter with the sweet and that's the way it is.

I sometimes think the biggest fear a person has that prevents them from living their dreams and fulfilling their destiny is that fear they will loose that ordinary life forever and once they've crossed over in to that realm, they can't ever go back. I guess the best case scenario then would be to be able to fulfill your dreams and live out your destiny and remain somewhat private or anonymous. In other words, your work, your art and your craft are loved and admired and sought out after, but you, the normal person, nobody really cares about that and you can remain in the background out of the limelight.

Nice song and thanks for the link, Barb.

Delene

I really like the song...She has a nice voice and I hope she makes it big time..guess than we'll see how her life stays ordinary. Poor thing will get a big surprise as a celeb! I'd buy her CD!

Thanks Barb, :kiss:

Frannie

This song is very pretty but it sounds so melancholy. I know it's just this woman's perception, but I hope that if Gerry does feel this way, it's only rarely. :)

What struck me reading this article though, was how she said Gerry told her he loved her and had her on his Ipod. How amazing to hear Gerry say "I love you," even if what he really means is "I love your music." *Sigh*. :wuv:

Steph

Wow ... I'm blown away for so many reasons.

First, what an honor for Gerry to have a song written for him by an artist he admires. He never ceases to amaze me how many people he inspires and influences around the world.

Second, did you hear the words? It broke my heart. I know he chose his career, but he said after Nim's Island/PSILY that he really wasn't expecting THIS to happen.

My dream is that one day Gerry can find the balance between the career success that he so deserves and desires, and as much of a normal settled life as possible. Chosen life or not, I know there's a part of Gerry that sometimes wonders if it's all worth it. Money doesn't always buy you peace of mind or true joy. Gerry deserves that as well as the fame and fortune he's worked hard for.

SIGH. What I wouldn't give to be the person to be that sense of normalcy for him when he comes home at night. :wuv:

Lisa

Loved the song!!! :music:

How wonderful it must be to put your feelings to music. :wuv:

I think Gerry's attempt at "an ordinary life" made him miserable.

I feel like there have been plenty of times when he's thought, "Uh oh" or as he jokingly wrote on the Scottish Youth Theatre t-shirt he autographed, "Where it all started! Be careful what you ask for".

Luckily, he was in his late 20's (as opposed to being a very young person) when he began to live his dream, his extraordinary life as an actor. I believe the age factor, along with a wonderfully down to earth and loving family as a support system, are two things that really help him deal with all the craziness that goes along with pursuing his passion. I think I'm safe in assuming that he loves his extraordinary life, warts and all!

With that said, Amy MacDonald is expressing herself as an artist, too, and I think it's pretty cool that

Gerry inspired her song. I wish her and her band much success! She's a good singer and she was strumming the heck outta that guitar! :lol: And with the capo that high up on the neck I'll bet those strings were tight!

Just my own two cents! I love everyone's thought provoking comments as well.

Katie

I really love hearing stories such as this involving Gerry.

It proves how amazing he is as a human being.

To be able to inspire someone like this.

He's really great and it's a beautiful song.

You know, he'd probably be brought to tears listening to it :swoon:

I also don't think he regrets his life for a minute, if anything he embraces it fully.

ETA: I LOVE hearing what music he listens too.

Edited by BaileyS

I have no doubt he loves his life. None whatsoever. However, Amy obviously saw something that I've seen, and I know others have as well. It's a double edged sword, the life he's chosen. I also don't think he would be happy with an ordinary life. But I do think every person needs that sense of normal. I hope Gerry has that in his daily life. :)

On a lighter note, now that I know Gerry likes her music I will be checking her music out on You Tube.

I agree. I don't think Gerry w/b happy with an ordinary life. I hope he has no regrets about the road he has taken. I've always had the impression that he doesn't live his life that way. That being said, I'm sure at times it is a chore when you're in your 100th interview during a press junket & they've just asked the same question you've been hearing all day long. The event she mentions might be a time when Gerry would enjoy spending time with his friends and family as he has brought his movie home. At the same time it was also an event where that w/b particularly difficult with multitudes of press & fans about that also want his time. I know he has particularly mentioned that he had calculated how much time he would have to speak to each guest & it was very small.

Hopefully he has times when he can feel like a regular man out living his life and not always be stopped when he sets foot outside his home. I have no doubt though that his actions are inhibited by the fact that the internet spreads pictures & words like wildfire. I think that takes a little of the fun out of life and might dampen some of his spontaneity. I'm sorry for that.

Although this song was inspired by Gerry, my viewpoint was that it was Amy MacDonald that wanted to live an ordinary life after witnessing Gerry at the premiere. I don't necessarily think she meant that it was what he wanted.

B

Here is a link to another Amy MacDonald song.

Although this song was inspired by Gerry, my viewpoint was that it was Amy MacDonald that wanted to live an ordinary life after witnessing Gerry at the premiere. I don't necessarily think she meant that it was what he wanted.

B

Oh good point. You're probably right. :) It's a very good song, regardless.

Edited by phoenixgirl

Many or most of the things Gerry is afforded in his life now and not just monitarily, are because of this life he lives and if he was living an ordinary life, he would not have these advantages, the perks that come with being a celebrity. I guess one of the downsides of that would be finding true love and wondering if you are loved because of who you are as a person or because of your fame and status.

Delene

I think that, that in this particular industry, the entertainment industry has a lot of disadvantages. I don`t in any way think that Gerry regrets the life he chose, its his life and he should be extremely proud with what he has achieved thus far, and will continue to achieve. I know if it were me, if I were given the opportunity,I would not want a life of fame. The only really desirable thing I can see in that life, is with the power you have, you can make a difference in the world. Now that's really a wonderful thing in itself, and I am extremely proud of Gerry for supporting the various charities he does, and it only makes me more honored to be a fan.

IMO...just IMO, that life, I feel, and its the reason I could never choose that life is, that I feel a person looses part of their humanity when they become famous. When a person becomes famous, forever, are they in the public eye. They take on almost a god like quality, become intangible, untouchable. I find that concept very scary.

Edited by AngelofMusic

How very cool to have a song written for you. :)

Many or most of the things Gerry is afforded in his life now and not just monitarily, are because of this life he lives and if he was living an ordinary life, he would not have these advantages, the perks that come with being a celebrity. I guess one of the downsides of that would be finding true love and wondering if you are loved because of who you are as a person or because of your fame and status.

Delene

I agree with your entire post,especially the last bit.I've read about other celebs voicing that concern when it comes to love and friendships.It's hard to know who are your real friends and who are your friends because of the status.

I hear a lot of fans say that about celebrity... how tough it is, how horrible the invasion of privacy is, and how they wouldn't switch places with Gerry if they were given the chance. Two thoughts spring to mind:

1. "Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane." Okay, I know Gerry doesn't own a plane, but I think the premise still holds. He has so many good things in his life, it just seems a little silly to pick out the undesirable aspects of his career to get mopey about. Of course, I know I'm guilty of it on occasion too... (Btw- this was a quote from the movie "The Edge." Anthony Hopkins plays a billionaire who delivers this line. I just always thought it was thought-provoking. :))

2. Fame may be isolating, but so is loneliness. I think that the types who are often drawn into the creative careers that garner celebrity (acting, music, or other art) are predisposed to a sort of melancholy temperament. Even if it's true that you can feel the most alone when surrounded by people, there's something to be said for the fact that you're not actually alone.

I would live Gerry's life in a heartbeat. I'm constantly in awe of the opportunities that he has, and the amazing journey that he has taken to bring him to where he is today. Even taking it down to the most basic level, he's near the top of his industry, in a position where he can choose the work that makes him the happiest. How many people in the world can claim the same?

I know I got slightly off topic. I'm rambling. Stream of consciousness... Semi-consciousnes... Seeking unconsciousness...

Steph

What good news. Also I really like Amy Macdonald and I'd love to hear this song.

I agree with your entire post,especially the last bit.I've read about other celebs voicing that concern when it comes to love and friendships. It's hard to know who are your real friends and who are your friends because of the status.

I can't even imagine.

The only really desirable thing I can see in that life, is with the power you have, you can make a difference in the world

Yes, that would be an upside if your fame and celebrity was based on the good and positive things you do, then people look up to you and want to follow your lead but if you have a bad reputation or your fame is because of negative or bad deeds, then it holds no power.

"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane."

I laugh about this because I almost owned a plane once, a little Cessna. I've known lots of people who owned light planes and even little choppers and they're neither wealthy or famous. You can feel sorry for anyone no matter how well off they seem, even someone like John Travolta who owns, I think, his own 747. I feel bad for the loss of his son and the way the circumstances around his son's death were treated. Had it been normal, everyday people I doubt it would have dragged out with extortion charges etc. That's the side of fame and wealth I would hate.

Delene

"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane."

I laugh about this because I almost owned a plane once, a little Cessna. I've known lots of people who owned light planes and even little choppers and they're neither wealthy or famous. You can feel sorry for anyone no matter how well off they seem, even someone like John Travolta who owns, I think, his own 747. I feel bad for the loss of his son and the way the circumstances around his son's death were treated. Had it been normal, everyday people I doubt it would have dragged out with extortion charges etc. That's the side of fame and wealth I would hate.

Delene

Exactly. No amount of money or possession makes you truly happy. Even with a plane and a gigantic home, John Travolta and his wife lost their greatest treasure. Nothing material can ever replace Jett or bring him back.

As for loneliness, when you have that amount of money you never know who is your friend for you or what you can do for them. I would rather remain poor the rest of my life and have the few friends I can trust and that love me then have all the money that Oprah has and still be alone and not know who I can and can't trust. Maybe that sounds idealistic but after 43 years of being both poor and having some money at one point, I've come to learn that true friendship and love can't be bought or found in anything material.

I would bet money that there are moments when Gerry feels very alone in his success. I hope those are the moments he connects with his Mum and remembers those who loved him before he became an A-lister in Hollywood.

I have loved Amy McDonald for a few years since she released the song Mr Rock and Roll. That song also reminds me of Gerry when I hear it.

It is a double edge sword the life Gerry leads and it appears to me he is trying his best to live the way he always has when he could fly under the radar simply because nobody knew who he was. Many more celebs who are bigger in stature than Gerry can lead unreported lives because they know the places to go socially where they will not be hounded; likewise they also know where to go to to be seen when they want PR for their projects. You have to take the rough with the smooth and we know when Gerry wants to he can fly under the radar. If Gerry wants to settle down and finds that special someone I expect we will see less of him. It's a shame if the places he genuinely likes are the papz infested places but only he can decide if they are worth going to if it means losing his private life completely.

He is such a giving and caring sort of guy that i expect he really appreciates what the upside of fame can afford him ie helping charities knowing his name can attract alot of interest.

Moira

Disclaimer~ No offense to all those who have chosen the life of a "Trainee Solicitor"

If Gerry wanted to remain in a Life that kept a lock on the window of his soul he would still be executing the profession of Counselor/Lawyer.

Gerry is doing exactly what butters his muffin every day, hour, minute, second of his, unpredictable, exciting mortal journey and what an "extraordinary" Scottish Muffin, indeed!

Add a little of his Mum's Blackberry Conserve and you have one tasty Scotsman!

Ah! The creative avenues of a Writer's imagination, Brilliant!

Breakfast at Tiffany's,

Lise

Edited by Lise

Does anyone have the lyrics? I can't make out what she is singing at many parts. I couldn't find them on Google this morning.

Help is needed for a non-native English speaker.

Thanks,

Theresa

Disclaimer~ No offense to all those who have chosen the life of a "Trainee Solicitor"

If Gerry wanted to remain in a Life that kept a lock on the window of his soul he would still be executing the profession of Counselor/Lawyer.

Gerry is doing exactly what butters his muffin every day, hour, minute, second of his, unpredictable, exciting mortal journey and what an "extraordinary" Scottish Muffin, indeed!

Add a little of his Mum's Blackberry Conserve and you have one tasty Scotsman!

Ah! The creative avenues of a Writer's imagination, Brilliant!

Breakfast at Tiffany's,

Lise

Am suddenly very hungry. :funnyface:

I'd like to know also....the guitar was louder than her voice and I couldn't hear any of the word...just the guitar.

Laurel