Gerard Butler GALS

Gerard Butler: Socks Symbol

sav8821

Just read the article in the Paisley newspaper. They are so proud of him.

I was puzzled though by this comment: "Gerard, who grew up in the posh Ralston area of Paisley..."

I thought his neighborhood was a bit on the more "humble" side...

I noticed that immediately. It's the second time now I've heard Paisley people refer to it as the 'posh' part of town. Makes me wonder who has the skewed vision of 'poor'. Gerry or the townfolk?

According to Wikipedia "Ralston's current status, however, is that of a middle-class Paisley suburb. Not what I'd call posh. And maybe when Gerry was growing up it was lower down the socio-economic scale??

Cheers,

Vicki

Just read the article in the Paisley newspaper. They are so proud of him.

I was puzzled though by this comment: "Gerard, who grew up in the posh Ralston area of Paisley..."

I thought his neighborhood was a bit on the more "humble" side...

I noticed that immediately. It's the second time now I've heard Paisley people refer to it as the 'posh' part of town. Makes me wonder who has the skewed vision of 'poor'. Gerry or the townfolk?

According to Wikipedia "Ralston's current status, however, is that of a middle-class Paisley suburb. Not what I'd call posh. And maybe when Gerry was growing up it was lower down the socio-economic scale??

Cheers,

Vicki

Thanks Vicki. Makes sense. Middle class can actually be quite poor sometimes. And from the sounds of it there are some real dives in Paisley, like REALLY rough areas, so the Paisley folks would probably consider Ralston 'posh'.

Bonnie

I often wonder at what an amazing feat it was for Gerry to rise up from such humble beginnings. He attended one of the most prestigious universities in the world and that must have taken something special coming from such a background such as his, not to mention all the traveling he did while he was attending school. I can't fathom how he afforded it all.

It seems classes in the UK are determined more by either your birthright and/or the level of education. Gerry now would be considered, "Nouveau Riche" which means he has achieved his wealth and celebrity but still retains his class level. In this country, you'd be instantly elevated in class. We have a friend in Britain who would be classified as a "Mondeo Man" which believe it or not he actually drove one before he retired. He was in upper management at the Ford plant where they built the Ford Mondeo. Your class is also distinguished by your accent in the UK. That may be why some of the Scottish celebrities are treated differently after their accents change.

I think it's amusing that maybe even though Paul McCartney is a successful billionaire, he might have been recognized as retaining his "working class" status, becoming the nouveau riche all the way, that is, up until he was "knighted", Sir Paul.

I think maybe Gerry may have started out in very humble beginnings, but his class status never changed. Even though he is a millionaire now and a celebrity, he's probably still only viewed in the same class rank in the UK, that is of course, up until the Queen sees fit to dub him with his knighthood of "Sir Gerry" then he can :funnyface: to all of them!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

I often wonder at what an amazing feat it was for Gerry to rise up from such humble beginnings. He attended one of the most prestigeous universities in the world and that must have taken something special coming from such a background such as his, not to mention all the traveling he did while he was attending school. I can't fathom how he afforded it all.

It seems classes in the UK are determined more by either your birthright and/or the level of education. Gerry now would be considered, "Nouveau Riche" which means he has achieved his wealth and celebrity but still retains his class level. In this country, you'd be instantly elevated in class. We have a friend in Britain who would be classified as a "Mondeo Man" which believe it or not he actually drove one before he retired. He was in upper management at the Ford plant where they built the Ford Mondeo. Your class is also distinguished by your accent in the UK. That may be why some of the Scottish celebrities are treated differently after their accents change.

I think it's amusing that maybe even though Paul McCartney is a successful billionaire, he might have been recognized as retaining his "working class" status, becoming the nouveau riche all the way, that is, up until he was "knighted", Sir Paul.

I think maybe Gerry may have started out in very humble beginnings, but his class status never changed. Even though he is a millionaire now and a celebrity, he's probably still only viewed in the same class rank in the UK, that is of course, up until the Queen sees fit to dub him with his knighthood of "Sir Gerry" then he can :funnyface: to all of them!

Delene

Very Interesting Delene! Thanks! :wave:

I often wonder at what an amazing feat it was for Gerry to rise up from such humble beginnings. He attended one of the most prestigeous universities in the world and that must have taken something special coming from such a background such as his, not to mention all the traveling he did while he was attending school. I can't fathom how he afforded it all.

Delene

Very Interesting Delene! Thanks! :wave:

Delene you're so right about class being distinguished by accents in the UK. Particulary of us Scots. We like to see our local lads and lassies do well and I think some Scots can feel that if 'their' star loses their accent then they are losing a little bit of their identity. Obviously if you move away somewhere you are bound to pick up some of the accent of your new home, but never will poor Sheena Easton live it down turning up to Glasgow with her trans atlantic accent.

Heather xx

I often wonder at what an amazing feat it was for Gerry to rise up from such humble beginnings. He attended one of the most prestigious universities in the world and that must have taken something special coming from such a background such as his, not to mention all the traveling he did while he was attending school. I can't fathom how he afforded it all.

Delene

I kind of went blank after the ending of 'Sir Gerry' there. :wuv:

I think mainly in Australia, status is regarded just by what you actually DO for a living. For instance, someone working at the check-out at the local supermarket would be considered more "successful" if they were working stacking the shelves or bringing the trolleys in. Same location, pretty much the same pay, but the actual job pretty much "defines" you. Which is quite unfortunate really.

I have a friend of around 16 who works at the check-out, and my step-dad who is in his late 40's who's employed to round out stray trolleys (shopping carts for those US people.) My step-dad is probably one of the most intelligent people I know, but he also has the stigma that he can only do this job because he also has bi-polar and too much of a more "stressful" job can make him ill enough to breaking point and put him in hospital. The MHS system here is pretty much a stamp of a drain on the economy to a lot of "working class" and thieves of taxes. My step-father's job, isn't even regarded as working class to most people. It's pocket money to add onto their pension. So there's the "poverty" class.

My 16-year-old friend however, is regarded as responsible, intelligent and cause for praise by most people. The comparison happens when you observe the two reactions of "aww" (poverty class) and "ohh" (working class). Despite the fact that the two people work the same hours and one is older.

As far as the higher classes go, you're pretty much working class here if you don't own a two-storey home, a car post-1990, and live in an area where your kids can (or do) still play out in the street. Of course, they may just be regional from my area, I think it varies state-to-state, but from what I've seen that's pretty much how it is.

I'm not familiar with British classes, but us GALS here -knighted or not- still think Gerry is a prince in any case. :wuv: I'm not going to let society class waiver that.

Delene

I kind of went blank after the ending of 'Sir Gerry' there. :wuv:

I think mainly in Australia, status is regarded just by what you actually DO for a living. For instance, someone working at the check-out at the local supermarket would be considered more "successful" if they were working stacking the shelves or bringing the trolleys in. Same location, pretty much the same pay, but the actual job pretty much "defines" you. Which is quite unfortunate really.

I have a friend of around 16 who works at the check-out, and my step-dad who is in his late 40's who's employed to round out stray trolleys (shopping carts for those US people.) My step-dad is probably one of the most intelligent people I know, but he also has the stigma that he can only do this job because he also has bi-polar and too much of a more "stressful" job can make him ill enough to breaking point and put him in hospital. The MHS system here is pretty much a stamp of a drain on the economy to a lot of "working class" and thieves of taxes. My step-father's job, isn't even regarded as working class to most people. It's pocket money to add onto their pension. So there's the "poverty" class.

My 16-year-old friend however, is regarded as responsible, intelligent and cause for praise by most people. The comparison happens when you observe the two reactions of "aww" (poverty class) and "ohh" (working class). Despite the fact that the two people work the same hours and one is older.

As far as the higher classes go, you're pretty much working class here if you don't own a two-storey home, a car post-1990, and live in an area where your kids can (or do) still play out in the street. Of course, they may just be regional from my area, I think it varies state-to-state, but from what I've seen that's pretty much how it is.

I'm not familiar with British classes, but us GALS here -knighted or not- still think Gerry is a prince in any case. :wuv: I'm not going to let society class waiver that.

I could see him next in line but I'm thinking they may dub McGregor first, unless they have already. If this fine man keeps it up with his charitable, compassionate side his day will certainly be soon....it's enough to make any mum proud.

...and lest we forget as far as humble beginnings, well, he's a man like any other and he knows it.... just with an extra ordinary talent and he handles the spotlight like gentlemen.

Edited by Scotchy's Admirer

OMG!

You guys have no idea what this picture does to me.

I have such a HUGE THING for crazy socks.

And to see Gerry in them is just :thud: And I love his feet :lol:

That picture is amazing. I may have to get a pair of those socks.

Am I the only one who noticed how you can see a slice of his back?

Aww, Bailey! I went to the sight to get us some, and they don't deliver outside the UK!! Wonder if they will sell somewhere here, or if we can find black market socks, LOL!
WHAT :tantrum:

NO! I was going to buy some with my next paycheck :(

That is horrible.

I know some people in the UK who would get them and then deliver them to us.

Here's another photo from the campaign:

Even his feet look pairfect, mercy! :-)

Theresa

Uhm :bow2: I LOVE YOU!

What is it with me and men in socks.

But especially with Gerry in SOCKS :gah:

OMG!

You guys have no idea what this picture does to me.

I have such a HUGE THING for crazy socks.

And to see Gerry in them is just :thud: And I love his feet :lol:

That picture is amazing. I may have to get a pair of those socks.

Am I the only one who noticed how you can see a slice of his back?

Aww, Bailey! I went to the sight to get us some, and they don't deliver outside the UK!! Wonder if they will sell somewhere here, or if we can find black market socks, LOL!
WHAT :tantrum:

NO! I was going to buy some with my next paycheck :(

That is horrible.

I know some people in the UK who would get them and then deliver them to us.

Bailey, if you can get someone over there to get some for us, I will buy some!!!!! So far, they won't ship out of the UK though :tantrum:

Here's another photo from the campaign:

Even his feet look pairfect, mercy! :-)

Theresa

Uhm :bow2: I LOVE YOU!

What is it with me and men in socks.

But especially with Gerry in SOCKS :gah: