Gerard Butler GALS

3/2 Oscars Adds Slew of Leading Men

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see Gerry of course but I'm not sure if I'm going to be watching the awards show this year. I don't know, something is just not peaking my interest for some reason. Maybe because one film will take all the big honors who knows but it's just not getting me excited to watch it this year. I will be in tune w/the stuff I want to see especially the memorium but other than that, nope, not that interested this year. But, I will give a shout out for "The Hurt Locker". EXCELLENT movie and IMO deserves to win over a certain other film that probably will. ;) Oops, does that mean i'm banned now from watching it w/that comment? Just referencing the producer who banned now.

Cassie

I want to see Gerry of course but I'm not sure if I'm going to be watching the awards show this year. I don't know, something is just not peaking my interest for some reason. Maybe because one film will take all the big honors who knows but it's just not getting me excited to watch it this year. I will be in tune w/the stuff I want to see especially the memorium but other than that, nope, not that interested this year. But, I will give a shout out for "The Hurt Locker". EXCELLENT movie and IMO deserves to win over a certain other film that probably will. ;) Oops, does that mean i'm banned now from watching it w/that comment? Just referencing the producer who banned now.

Cassie

I usually never watch, Cass. I watched Hugh Jackman's opening shtick last year and that was it. Didn't watch the rest of the show. The whole thing rubs me the wrong way, and don't get me started on the swag bags. :wall:

That being said, you bet your bippie I'm watching Gerry present, and if sometime in the future he's nominated I'll be throwing a party and dancing on the rooftops with everyone else.

But, I will give a shout out for "The Hurt Locker". EXCELLENT movie and IMO deserves to win over a certain other film that probably will. ;)

Not sure. I assume you're referring to "Avatar"?

I'm an "Avatar" fan and I hope it will win. But I think "The Hurt Locker" will win. On the "Avatar" message boards, a lot of fans doubt "Avatar" will win. It's not the kind of movie the Academy likes.

I would be so happy if Gerry was at the Oscars because of a nomination, not just to present -- even if I'm very happy he's presenting. Hopefully someday he'll be nominated. He deserves it.

Edited by Novelistgirl

You know, I very much doubt if Avatar will win Best Picture. I was actually kind of surprised it got a Best Picture nomination, and that is more than likely because of the fact that the Best Picture category has expanded to 10 films versus the traditional 5. I still greatly dislike that re-arrangement. I don`t think it really fair to all of a sudden double the size of a category. I have yet to see Avatar though, and I really do not see myself viewing it anytime soon either. It just is not the kind of film I myself would consider to be enjoyable. I have always been very much so a traditionalist when it comes to film and I cannot foresee supporting this sudden surge of 3-D movies.

I'm so glad! :dancer: There is only one thing: I wanna see him winning one (oh... at least one!) of the Oscars :)

He should have for 300...but then again, maybe it would have been too soon, I don't know, he may get the chance with some of the up and coming roles. The directors/producers for his future projects are well respected people.......mind you, he seems the patient type.

I have no doubt that, eventually a Oscar nomination for Gerry will be on the horizon. It really is all a question of how long it takes The Academy to give him one. One of my all time favorite actors, Gary Oldman, has yet to receive a single Oscar nomination, and that right there is injustice IMO. And, the great Christopher Plummer is just receiving his 1st nomination this year, after dedicating over 50 years of service to the film industry.

Edited by AngelofMusic

I have no doubt that, eventually a Oscar nomination for Gerry will be on the horizon. It really is all a question of how long it takes The Academy to give him one. One of my all time favorite actors, Gary Oldman, has yet to receive a single Oscar nomination, and that right there is injustice IMO. And, the great Christopher Plummer is just receiving his 1st nomination this year, after dedicating over 50 years of service to the film industry.

mmmmm...Gary,

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/en...f-leading-men/1

The producers of the Academy Awards have upped the hunk factor with the addition of eight handsome men who will serve as presenters during the show Sunday night. They are Hangover star Bradley Cooper, A Single Man director/fashion designer Tom Ford, Jake Gyllenhaal, Star Trek's Chris Pine, Keanu Reeves, Avatar actor Sam Worthington, Ryan Reynolds and Gerard Butler. — Arienne Thompson

Finally the Academy realizes that people want to watch handsome leading men at awards shows.

I'm so glad! :dancer: There is only one thing: I wanna see him winning one (oh... at least one!) of the Oscars :)

He should have for 300...but then again, maybe it would have been too soon, I don't know, he may get the chance with some of the up and coming roles. The directors/producers for his future projects are well respected people.......mind you, he seems the patient type.

Well, he really seems to be patient and happy. What is the use to be nervous about such things? Further more here we are to worry about it :D

The producers of the Academy Awards have upped the hunk factor with the addition of eight handsome men who will serve as presenters during the show Sunday night. They are Hangover star Bradley Cooper, A Single Man director/fashion designer Tom Ford, Jake Gyllenhaal, Star Trek's Chris Pine, Keanu Reeves, Avatar actor Sam Worthington, Ryan Reynolds and Gerard Butler. — Arienne Thompson

Finally the Academy realizes that people want to watch handsome leading men at awards shows.

Yes, I think they've finally figured out women go to the movies too and enjoy a little "eye candy" now and then.

Delene

Yes, I think they've finally figured out women go to the movies too and enjoy a little "eye candy" now and then.

Delene

It is a shame that the article calls them eye candy and hunks and neglects the fact that their movies have brought in a total of roughly $4 Billion into the studio coffers in the last year. I would say there is is little more substance to these guys then just being eye candy and hunks. I tallied Gerry's movies total gross at $355 Million give or take. Avatar was an anomaly at $2.5 Billion but aside from Mr. Worthington the rest of the guys saw movies rake in $1.5 Billion.

Hmmmmmm....I was just having my morning coffee and had a thought....

Can you just imagine what this board is gonna be like WHEN our Gerry wins his first Oscar?

My husband swears when that happens I will permanently shoot into orbit never to be seen again.... Know what? He's probably right!

This board!!??? Imagine what Mr G is gonna be like when he wins!!! If nominated, I predict he'll pull an Adrian Brody & have his Mum be his date. Not sure who's gonna be more choked up over the win...mother or son. Also, the red carpet crowd will be swelled to overflowing with Mr G's fans, all there to cheer him on his way into the event. Fingers crossed when his category is announced, cheering & screaming loudly after his name is announced & going totally wild with joy when announced the winner of the Oscar.

The Divine Miss S :rose:

It's very late here in Colorado, and I'm not sleepy so I thought I'd take a look and see what was new here.

Hmmm...the Oscars. I know we'll all enjoy seeing G. as a presenter as well as the others. All the comments made me begin thinking about "winning" an Academy Award. It's an interesting concept and sort of the "It" party of the year for the film industry in general. And, of course everyone loves to be recognized and admired for what they do, especially by their peers.

The unfortunate thing about the process is that even if three nominees have the best film of their entire career in the same year, only one of them can win. So it can be a bit skewed. And look at the performers, like Paul Newman, one of the greatest actors of all time. He didn't win an Oscar until very late in his career. And was overlooked for many brilliant performances along the way. I can't even begin to believe this is only Christopher Plummer's first nomination. It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I am sure "winning" would be an honor to Gerry just as it would to most actors. He is human. And an artist. And as an artist (not in acting) I can tell you artists love to be stroked. But I have a feeling Gerry just loves being a part of all of it...the whole cinema world. So if it takes awhile for him to get his own Oscar, I'm sure he'll just be enjoying the ride along the way. He appears to be that kind of person.

And he's a naturally gifted performer...and genuinely humble soul. He also already has several brilliant performances under his belt. So I'll watch the show. After all, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin are the hosts so it will be like a slightly more glamorous episode of Saturday Night Live! It wil be looovely to see the Scottish lad we admire polished and poised as he always is. And enjoying yet another "first" of his career!

Well done, Gerard! Enjoy!

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin don't really do it for me....I read this somewhere and I totally agree - if the Academy wants to raise the viewership how about Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson as co-hosts? The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea - I might even watch.

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin don't really do it for me....I read this somewhere and I totally agree - if the Academy wants to raise the viewership how about Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson as co-hosts? The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea - I might even watch.

I agree. I know a ton of people who won't watch just based on Alec Baldwin's politics alone. Not to mention all that nastiness with his daughter... he just seems like a real jerk. But they'll get the 30 Rock crowd, which is the crowd they would have gotten anyway. I miss the days of Billy Crystal. He was a class act, outdone only by the incomparable Johnny Carson.

I agree. I know a ton of people who won't watch just based on Alec Baldwin's politics alone. Not to mention all that nastiness with his daughter... he just seems like a real jerk. But they'll get the 30 Rock crowd, which is the crowd they would have gotten anyway. I miss the days of Billy Crystal. He was a class act, outdone only by the incomparable Johnny Carson.

Okay, well. The "host" part was only one line of my entire post. So maybe I should have just left that out since the whole point of my post really was just that I hope Gerry enjoys the moment and the evening and the life he's worked so hard for.

And just for the record...

...if someone doesn't watch the Oscars just because Alec Baldwin is a host, then they probably have missed the whole point of the awards anyway and don't really care about those nominated or their films.

And don't forget. Actors, like Baldwin and Butler, et.al., live their lives today under an intrusive, invasive, manipulative and primarily unethical microscope. So unless someone who criticizes and judges Baldwin for what the THINK they know happened with his family was actually THERE, they have no accurate basis on which to judge him. Do they?

Finally, I am fairly confident as many viewers will watch with Martin and Baldwin as hosts because they are talented performers who've been recognized and supported for decades. But, again, they aren't the reason the Oscars will be on tonight, are they?

So, again I say..."Gerry, enjoy the moment, the evening, the career. You've earned your moments in the spotlight!"

Leslie, thank you for your post. You always make us think, and I love it.

I'm not a fan of Alec Baldwin, but I do like Steve Martin a lot. I wouldn't not watch the Oscars because of the host. I usually don't watch the Oscars because of other reasons, the main one being the swag bags. It disgusts me that millionaires receive baskets of expensive things that they can afford to buy on their own. When I learned about that a few years ago, I stopped watching - allowing myself to watch when Return of the King was nominated (and ultimately won all it deserved). I finally watched again last year when Hugh Jackman hosted because I like him so much. That's just how I personally feel.

I also remember when Billy Crystal was hosting and it was so much fun. I loved when they made fun of the nominated movies (remember Billy being brought out on a dolly as Hannibal Lechter?) Lately, however, it's just been cheesy and boring.

I hope with two crazies like Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin hosting, it's more fun tonight. And yes, I'm ONLY watching because of Gerry. :lol:

Leslie, thank you for your post. You always make us think, and I love it.

I'm not a fan of Alec Baldwin, but I do like Steve Martin a lot. I wouldn't not watch the Oscars because of the host. I usually don't watch the Oscars because of other reasons, the main one being the swag bags. It disgusts me that millionaires receive baskets of expensive things that they can afford to buy on their own. When I learned about that a few years ago, I stopped watching - allowing myself to watch when Return of the King was nominated (and ultimately won all it deserved). I finally watched again last year when Hugh Jackman hosted because I like him so much. That's just how I personally feel.

I also remember when Billy Crystal was hosting and it was so much fun. I loved when they made fun of the nominated movies (remember Billy being brought out on a dolly as Hannibal Lechter?) Lately, however, it's just been cheesy and boring.

I hope with two crazies like Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin hosting, it's more fun tonight. And yes, I'm ONLY watching because of Gerry. :lol:

Ooohhh, Lisa...great reason TO watch. You have exquisite taste...glad we share that!!!

lovetheeloquence-

I can't even begin to believe this is only Christopher Plummer's first nomination. It just doesn't make sense.

I am with you on this one,I am shocked and disgusted to find this out.Christopher Plummer is a truly gifted actor,he should've won an Oscar decades ago.

As far as the Oscars go...my family usually watches it.We watch it for the fashion.We sit and critique the dresses "Oh I like her dress....that color washes her out....take the ruffle off and that'd be an awesome dress...bow's too big...." :)

I don't like Alec Baldwin,it's nothing to do with his politics because I honestly don't really put much thought into celebrities political leanings.My dislike has more to do with that incident with his daughter and just his overall demeanor. I do like Steve Martin.

As far as the swag bags...yeah they are millionares and can afford to buy all those things.But really,it's no different than when you go to a convention or a bridal show or whatever and there are bags that you get with little things in there and business cards.You can afford to go buy that ink pen,but they gave it to you. It's advertisement. It's "Hey if you like this diamond encrusted watch in white..we also have it in black". "You like our $100 an oz. face cream...ok buy the next jar." Not only that but all the entertainment news sources tell everyone what is in the swag bags,so those who either (1 have the money or (2 are celebrity obssessed and have the desire to max out their credit card to have what their fav. celebrity has,will go out and buy it for themselves.... Advertising.

Oh I know it's advertising, but seriously there is no comparison between the $50 bags schlubs like us get at conferences versus the $1,000,000 ones they get. Again, this is just my liberal mind's opinion. I would hope this year they take the millions of dollars and give to the Haiti relief instead.

There are SOOOO many actors who never get nominated. It's all political (and I know I've posted this before but indulge me). Another reason I don't watch. How long did it take Sean Penn? Let alone an African American? Don Cheadle? He should have been nominated long ago. And even after someone does win a statue, that doesn't mean their career is on the upswing. There have been many disappointing careers post-Oscar wins (Cuba Gooding, Jr. is an example). Russell Crowe didn't win for A Beautiful Mind because he pissed someone off; so he won for Gladiator. He really deserved it for ABM because "oh my god" he was incredible in that!

IF Gerry wants to win the Oscar one day, I will throw a party for him. I support him 100% no matter what; however, winning and Oscar is NOT the end-all and be-all of acting. To some people maybe; but to me making a difference with your gift is what matters in life. I would rather change the life of one child than win Teacher of the Year. I get the impression Gerry feels similar.

Either way, I'm watching. :) Gotta see Gerry in a tux. :wuv:

Edited by phoenixgirl

I would hope this year they take the millions of dollars and give to the Haiti relief instead.

I agree with you on this,Haiti or Chile.Either country desperately needs help right now. They could all auction off their swag bags like they did their outfits from the GG's. :)

Russell Crowe didn't win for A Beautiful Mind because he pissed someone off; so he won for Gladiator. He really deserved it for ABM because "oh my god" he was incredible in that!

He so totally should've won for ABM,he was brilliant in that movie.I love that movie.