Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry on Cover of April 2010 Men's Journal & Feature Article!

Thank you for posting the article and pictures! I have to say though, I'm not quite sure what to think about it. It makes me sad that he is more anxious and not as happy as we might think. It does sound like he has not totally made peace with himself. I would have hoped that all of the self-destructive tendencies had gone away by now and it worries me that he he still not settled in himself and his life. I think he needs to take a break! The last few years have been so busy.

It worries me that this article could be misunderstood and misquoted and come back to bite him on the arse. He is so vulnerable and a little too candid. The interviewer seems a bit critical to me and is not showing Gerry in the best light. Is this honesty, or just picking someone and their career (thus far) apart? (and, boy, I'd really like to sit Gerry down for a few hours and talk about life, the universe and everything. I'd like to see what's really going on in there. I have issues too, so maybe I just want to compare notes...)

I read another very recent interview by that mag at their website on Mel Gibson, and it was more of the same attitude - picking him apart and showing a very gritty sort of view. A lot of negative emotions and suppositions. I have to wonder, is this a new trend? Is this what people want to see now? And how much of that negativity is being created by the writer and how much reflects what's really there?

I understand how you can view this as being honest, down to earth and almost endearing, but... (shaking head)

Bothered in Virginia

(Dawn D)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never believed for one minute that Gerry was happy or satisfied. He always strikes me as someone who is hiding a lot of hurt behind that infectious smile and silly giggle. Nothing he said in this interview surprised me, but like you all have said...it makes me sad for him.

He's running around constantly, trying to fill up every spare moment with actions and activities so that he can't hear his own thoughts. He needs the noise and chaos...he needs the parties and the crowds, because if it gets too quiet in his head, his thoughts turn against him.

He's an amazing man who has overcome so many weaknesses and vices, and I am so proud of him for all he has achieved in his career...but my fear is that he may never come to that place where he can just sit still and be happy with who he is.

I love this man, but he is broken.

Swannie

I have never believed for one minute that Gerry was happy or satisfied. He always strikes me as someone who is hiding a lot of hurt behind that infectious smile and silly giggle. Nothing he said in this interview surprised me, but like you all have said...it makes me sad for him.

He's running around constantly, trying to fill up every spare moment with actions and activities so that he can't hear his own thoughts. He needs the noise and chaos...he needs the parties and the crowds, because if it gets too quiet in his head, his thoughts turn against him.

He's an amazing man who has overcome so many weaknesses and vices, and I am so proud of him for all he has achieved in his career...but my fear is that he may never come to that place where he can just sit still and be happy with who he is.

I love this man, but he is broken.

Swannie

WOW, Swannie......I really think you've nailed it here, with your insights into Gerry. I agree 100%, and couldn't have said any of it better than you just have!

I concur with Swannie. It is a great article but so sad that it comes across loud and clear that he feels he is not worthy of his success.

I know he is no where near ready for settling down but when or if he finds the right person he will realise at times he was leading a very shallow empty existence when he was not working.

Moira

What a great article! Though it has a bitter tingle (don't know why I feel it) I like it very much! And all that funny stuff about different Gerrys =) But what I like the most is to read such stories about people that had enough courage and self-confidence to start a new life, even though not knowing where to go and what to do. It is inspiring.

Thanks a lot! =)

I haven't had a chance to pick up the magazine yet, but judging from all the comments here it sounds like quite a soul-searching article. Gerry at his most vulnerable. I've always known there was a darkness in Gerry's soul and it appears it hasn't gone away, but makes him more real to those of us who have had issues in the past. It is just that that attracted me to him in the first place. It seems though that part of the article is self-deprecating as we know Gerry can be. Now I'm really anxious to get my hands on this magazine.

:wuv::kiss:

This interview is very real and truthful and captures a part of Gerry, but only a part. In much the same way the author's nutshell reviews of his work only capture part of the truth. I do not consider Gerry 'broken'. Yes, he has 'issues', as do we all, he has anxieties and uncertainties, perhaps more than some, but he is also a strong and capable, hard-working, high achieving man. Stronger than he may even realize at times. If he was 'broken' he'd be in rehab for the umpteenth time and relating to the interviewer how it all slipped away.

I have enormous empathy for him but he has learned to cope with the unique demands of his particular personality and managed to use all his quirks and challenges to achieve great success - repeatedly. He may have come close to crashing and burning but he was able to pull himself up and channel all that energy and angst in a very positive direction. I don't see his life as empty or shallow but focused and goal oriented.

He is an amazing man. I am constantly impressed by his resiliance, courage, tolerance and open, caring nature. I believe every word in the interview but it is not all there is to Gerry Butler, just what this interviewer, and Gerry, chose to share at this time. Gerry's commitment to improving his own life and understanding what he's 'all about' is a lifelong commitment that no matter how many anxieties and insecurities clutter his path, he has entered into with enthusiasm and intelligence. It's what life is about.

And quit telling him to go off somewhere for rest, inactivity and quiet reflexion. It would kill him! :D

jane

Trust me, coming from someone who suffers with the same anxiety he does, it can rule your life, but I also think he is strong enough to not let it take complete control.

He may have this darkness, but he is a happy man.

Everyone is always searching, every single day.

I think he just does it more.

Again, I do the same exact searching every day.

Sometimes the only solace is immersing yourself in chaos, but he'll be okay.

He has a strong mind, a strong family, and a few great close friends.

I agree with Jeb and Bailey. I think Gerry knows who he is even with all his anxieties. We all have issues, but ours aren't asked about in interviews, possibly misquoted or put in the wrong order, for all the world to see. Lord knows my head isn't screwed on straight so where would I ever get off thinking anything negative about Gerry opening up like that?

We're ALL a bit broken, aren't we? We all have demons we're fighting. It's what makes us human! I don't care who thinks I'm nuts, I love Gerry exactly the way he is. I want people to love and accept me the way I am so how could I think Gerry should be something other than who he is? Gerry "should" do what he wants with his life, and he does. I envy and admire that.

Edited by phoenixgirl

I don't consider him broken at all. He is open and real. Let's face it, we all have issues, every single one of us. No one gets out of it. To me, that is human and he is letting us peek in and see a little of his issues. That is what I love about Gerry. I don't feel sad for him, I embrace who he is. Most people try to hide from the world, wear masks, but Gerry doesn't wear a mask, go figure... He faces his demons and isn't afraid to share it. Wow! I find that strong not weak. I am so inspired by this man to try to be a better person.

Sally

I don't consider him broken at all. He is open and real. Let's face it, we all have issues, every single one of us. No one gets out of it. To me, that is human and he is letting us peek in and see a little of his issues. That is what I love about Gerry. I don't feel sad for him, I embrace who he is. Most people try to hide from the world, wear masks, but Gerry doesn't wear a mask, go figure... He faces his demons and isn't afraid to share it. Wow! I find that strong not weak. I am so inspired by this man to try to be a better person.

Sally

Amen, Sally. He makes me realize that regardless of my demons, anxieties and issues, I can better my life and just keep going and getting better.

This article has spurred a lot of interesting views and reactions.

I must admit that, at first, I wondered if any of those responses were actually Gerry toying with the interviewer. It's a way of controllling things. Feed them what you think they want to hear.

Not the obvious jokes...but some of the meatier quotes. He's not a stupid man and this is not his first interview. (I have a degree in Journalism so sometimes I'm a bit skeptical.)

However, if the interviewer got him to let his guard down, that's something else (and quite an accomplishment with experienced celebrities). And, I've read other interviews and heard about other interactions where he does seem to quite easily open up and express himself (often with a quickly following reaction of "should I have said that???" )

I was interested about the hearing loss and side of his face. My mother had surgery when she was young that caused problems with facial muscles and a partial hearing loss in her ear.

And, the inner-turmoil--I recognize it. As the interview went on, all I could think is. I KNOW this guy. I know this part of Gerry. Things in myself and many things in others close to me. And, it made me want to hug him all the more...and just look deep into those eyes to let him know: "I get it."

I remember in article last summer (around TUT???) where he talked about going into deep analysis, meeting with Deepak Chopra, and also reading "The Secret". He seems to be on a spiritual quest. I was on my own many years ago and every day I am grateful for where it led me. I wish Gerry well as he makes his own journey. He's an intrepid seeker of answers and understanding. I know he will be successful.

SIDE NOTE TO GERRY: And, darlin', those new spiritual vistas you discover will provide you with even deeper and more refined feelings to utilize both personally as well as professionally.

It was interesting to me that he talked about feeling so much. Even when he was little. That he feels so intensely. How overwhelming that must be at times. I can understand the need to self-medicate to quiet those feelings. Also the on-going need to feel new things. New sensations. Have new experiences.

Acting must be a catharsis for him. He delves into all his feelings and, as he has termed it, his "imaginings" to produce such vivid portrayals. How draining it must be to do that so intensely for a compressed period of times for a film. It so makes sense that after a film he likes to go off on a trip and just getaway. Clear the jumble and make room for more.

Hmm...I wonder if he falls to sleep with music or a white noise machine to help quiet his mind. (I used a fan year-round partly because my room is so warm and partly because, for me, sometimes silence can be so deafening.

Again, I would LOVE to just sit with him and talk-and listen. A pizza, some cans of Coke, and music playing in the back ground as comforting white noise. I think it would be amazing.

My two cents,

Sharon :)

Edited by beacon1

My daughter lost the hearing in her right ear due to a childhood ear infection and has a similar crooked smile and speaks out of the corner of her mouth. She also mentions feeling as if she's had a stroke. I suspected that might be the cause of his smile but I must admit I sat back in shock when he confirmed it in the article.

She's very sensitive about her "flaw" because people have pointed it out to her often. Gerry has to see his "imperfection" on the big screen and read criticism about how he talks. Remember when he joked about preferring the mask side of his face to the other side? I admit I cried a little when I read the scans last night.

Yes, he's a mass of contradictions and "imperfect" in all sorts of ways. He lets us into his head a lot, which can be downright scary sometimes! But then again, whose insecurities and issues aren't? I'm just glad he isn't so worried about his image that he can't be his weird but special self. :)

It is possible for a person to be 'broken" and still fully functional. I should know...because I'm broken too, only in a different way.

Sally, I have to disagree. I think Gerry often wears a mask. Sure, in this interview he really opens up and makes some revealing statements about himself, but often he masks his insecurities, fears and anxiety behind his humor and all that charming and disarming bluster. It's an act. There is more going on underneath.

These are just my own perceptions.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Gerry's honesty about his hearing and smile answers questions I have always had. I had so many ear infections as a child that my hearing is diminished.I noticed that Gerry asks people to repeat more often than normal as he leans forward, like he can't hear very well. I do the same thing. His smile and mouth move in a way that I always wondered about. At first I thought it was because he was trying tp pronounce words in an American accent. Then I saw him in England speaking as he normally does and his mouth still moved in the same way. I have a feeling that when he had that operation on his ear a nerve may have been cut or he had a slight stroke leaving him with a unique smile and way of talking. I applaude his total honesty about his ear protruding. Not many actors would be so open as Gerry. If nothing else, he is honest. But we know he is much more than that. I still want to hug him and shake him as well.

~HUGS~ Kathy

It is possible for a person to be 'broken" and still fully functional. I should know...because I'm broken too, only in a different way.

Swannie

It's a matter of defining your terms, then, I guess. But 'a broken man' implies someone who is not functioning. If you mean something else by the term it helps to clarify. We all have issues and hurts, damage we'd like to undo, things we'd like to change, but that doesn't make us 'broken'. When something is 'broken' it no longer works.

jane

I see it differently. A broken heart still beats. A broken clock still ticks, but it can no longer keep accurate time. Lots of broken things still operate in their individual parts and pieces, but they don't function cohesively.

Swannie

Gerry's just like the rest of us, he struggles with his inner demons. But more then that I think he has two very conflicting sides to him, a good Gerry and a not so good (evil) Gerry that struggle against each other. I can see Gerry as this sweet, vulnerable man, kind and lovable by his mannerisms, his smile and facial expression, his good deeds, the things he says, you just want to scoop him up and take him home. Then once in a while I see the other Gerry. Evil Gerry will even interrupt good Gerry in an interview. That's the one I want to knock up side the head sometimes (but doesn't mean I won't be laughing)! He uses it like a weapon to protect the good and vulnerable Gerry. I'll bet taking a walk in his head would be scary and you'd come away wanting to just make it all better for him somehow.

I don't think Gerry is so much broken as he's had a broken heart more than once. Like Swannie says, a broken heart will keep on beating. I have the feeling that because Gerry's emotions can run deep, he hurts deeper so he tries to keep everything on the surface and light hearted. He seeks out spiritual meaning behind it all because he doesn't understand why he does it. He wants to "purge" himself of those thoughts and feelings with spirtual enlightenment. He can't do that unless he understands and accepts what they are first.

He's extraordinary or he wouldn't be who he is so his emotions and feelings are extraordinary as well. He doesn't get it that his evil side or wild side is a defense mechanism. All that drinking and going crazy was out of hurt and anger more then anything else and when he feels the urge maybe to indulge in it again, it's because he's feeling vulnerable again.

He probably carried a lot of bitterness for his Dad not being in his life during his childhood, might even blame himself a little. Kids have a way of internalizing things like that they are to blame for adult problems. Then he re-establishes a relationship for a few years and he dies, leaving him fatherless again. He feels betrayed. When Gerry loves someone and they leave him or break his trust, I think it really cuts him deeply, then out pops evil Gerry.

I think Gerry's had his heart dragged through the dirt and maybe started putting up some walls (humor and fear of commitment). That's why he avoids talking about his love life and his past growing up. He opens up a little bit at a time, like he's testing the water, like in this interview but it dredges up old, painful memories and brings up that side of him that is vulnerable and he doesn't want to revisit it and feel that pain again so out comes evil Gerry to the rescue again.

I think his neglect to be on time to his meeting was that evil side sabotaging the good again because he was feeling vulnerable during the interview.

Hopefully, if he's in some kind of therapy, a good therapist will get him to open up and bring all that stuff to the surface. But he'll only do it if he feels safe and not all therapists are qualified or have their patient's best interest in mind, sadly. The longer they can drag out a patient's problems, the more money they make. Or better yet, write out a prescription and get them hooked on that.

As far as the "smile" I don't see any problem. His smile is beautiful and I see a cute quirk in the uplifting of the left corner but it does not dominate the right side. As far as the talking out of the left side of his mouth, I just always thought that was just one his mannerisms. I see things like that as endearing qualities rather than flaws.

All of these things are what makes up the unique and wonderful, always adorable and sometimes exasperating, ball of confusion who is the real Gerard Butler, both good and evil. :goodevil:

Delene

Gerry's just like the rest of us, he struggles with his inner demons. But more then that I think he has two very conflicting sides to him, a good Gerry and a not so good (evil) Gerry that struggle against each other. I can see Gerry as this sweet, vulnerable man, kind and lovable by his mannerisms, his smile and facial expression, his good deeds, the things he says, you just want to scoop him up and take him home. Then once in a while I see the other Gerry. Evil Gerry will even interrupt good Gerry in an interview. That's the one I want to knock up side the head sometimes (but doesn't mean I won't be laughing)! He uses it like a weapon to protect the good and vulnerable Gerry. I'll bet taking a walk in his head would be scary and you'd come away wanting to just make it all better for him somehow.

I don't think Gerry is so much broken as he's had a broken heart more than once. Like Swannie says, a broken heart will keep on beating. I have the feeling that because Gerry's emotions can run deep, he hurts deeper so he tries to keep everything on the surface and light hearted. He seeks out spiritual meaning behind it all because he doesn't understand why he does it. He wants to "purge" himself of those thoughts and feelings with spirtual enlightenment. He can't do that unless he understands and accepts what they are first.

He's extraordinary or he wouldn't be who he is so his emotions and feelings are extraordinary as well. He doesn't get it that his evil side or wild side is a defense mechanism. All that drinking and going crazy was out of hurt and anger more then anything else and when he feels the urge maybe to indulge in it again, it's because he's feeling vulnerable again.

He probably carried a lot of bitterness for his Dad not being in his life during his childhood, might even blame himself a little. Kids have a way of internalizing things like that they are to blame for adult problems. Then he re-establishes a relationship for a few years and he dies, leaving him fatherless again. He feels betrayed. When Gerry loves someone and they leave him or break his trust, I think it really cuts him deeply, then out pops evil Gerry.

I think Gerry's had his heart dragged through the dirt and maybe started putting up some walls (humor and fear of commitment). That's why he avoids talking about his love life and his past growing up. He opens up a little bit at a time, like he's testing the water, like in this interview but it dredges up old, painful memories and brings up that side of him that is vulnerable and he doesn't want to revisit it and feel that pain again so out comes evil Gerry to the rescue again.

I think his neglect to be on time to his meeting was that evil side sabotaging the good again because he was feeling vulnerable during the interview.

Hopefully, if he's in some kind of therapy, a good therapist will get him to open up and bring all that stuff to the surface. But he'll only do it if he feels safe and not all therapists are qualified or have their patient's best interest in mind, sadly. The longer they can drag out a patient's problems, the more money they make. Or better yet, write out a prescription and get them hooked on that.

As far as the "smile" I don't see any problem. His smile is beautiful and I see a cute quirk in the uplifting of the left corner but it does not dominate the right side. As far as the talking out of the left side of his mouth, I just always thought that was just one his mannerisms. I see things like that as endearing qualities rather than flaws.

All of these things are what makes up the unique and wonderful, always adorable and sometimes exasperating, ball of confusion who is the real Gerard Butler, both good and evil. :goodevil:

Delene

I am here all the time but seldom post.I have to say that I agree with your evaluation of Gerry 100%.Gerry is a very complex man and he is loved and admired partly because of his flaws.Nobody is perfect.We all have our crosses to bear.Gerry exemplifies how people can overcome those crosses and become very successful.Life is a journey and Gerry has found his passion in acting.May we all find what makes us happy.Keep on doing your thing Gerry...you inspire so many of us to follow our dreams