Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry on Cover of April 2010 Men's Journal & Feature Article!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me 'evil' Gerry sounds like he is nasty. He's anything but. I prefer to call him 'bad boy' Gerry. He's even lovable when he's a bad boy. JMHO.

:wuv::kiss:

When I say "evil" I mean just that, evil, the opposite of good and we all possess both sides. But since you put it that way, "nasty" sounds good too! When I think of a "bad boy" I think of someone who needs :spank::gettowork:

However, everyone could use a little, "nasty" now and then, some wild and abandoned, good old fashioned, down on the floor, sweaty, earth shattering, waking the neighbors, nastiness. Gets all the kinks out of the old pipes, if ya know what I mean! :funnyup:

Delene

It is possible for a person to be 'broken" and still fully functional. I should know...because I'm broken too, only in a different way.

Swannie

It's a matter of defining your terms, then, I guess. But 'a broken man' implies someone who is not functioning. If you mean something else by the term it helps to clarify. We all have issues and hurts, damage we'd like to undo, things we'd like to change, but that doesn't make us 'broken'. When something is 'broken' it no longer works.

jane

I see it differently. A broken heart still beats. A broken clock still ticks, but it can no longer keep accurate time. Lots of broken things still operate in their individual parts and pieces, but they don't function cohesively.

Swannie

To me, broken (while it still may work) implies that it needs to be fixed. IMO Gerry does not need to be fixed. If he was then he wouldn't be Gerry.

Gerry~ Just keep being you! xxx

Edited by Knight Phantom

Totally agree, Deb my friend! Gerry is exactly who he's supposed to be - GERRY. We can't fit him into our own mold of what we thought or think he should be. A broken watch can't tell time; a broken glass can't hold water. Gerry does everything perfectly just the way he's meant to.

I think he was being asked a lot of questions that he thought were frankly idiotic! I am not even going to analyze the guy...He's just Gerry to me. I've noticed many times he likes to give us a jolt now and then...he has that shock em thing going on and I'm willing to bet a lot of what he had to say should have been taken with a grain of salt....some was info we already knew and some was quite revealing but all and all I still didn't find him as a lost soul ....sounds to me like a man that worked hard to get where he is and he is going to do as he Damned well pleases! And he has the Kahonies to do just that! I do know that a lot of people that are always acting the class clown or that are being flippant is just a facade to cover for their insecurities...I also think that this is why Gerry stays so busy and takes on roles ...even questionable ones... just to be able to get into that certain characters head and out of his own... But in the end and as someone already said we all have our demons and we all deal with them in out own ways...Gerrys just Gerry being Gerry! Isn't that what makes him so special to us?

:bigone: Well....the proof is in the pudding!! :p

Frannie

Totally agree, Deb my friend! Gerry is exactly who he's supposed to be - GERRY. We can't fit him into our own mold of what we thought or think he should be. A broken watch can't tell time; a broken glass can't hold water. Gerry does everything perfectly just the way he's meant to.

Thank you, Lisa and Deb. You were both able to say it much more tactfully than I could. While I'm often times left saddened by his self deprecation; I feel Gerry is no way, shape or form a broken man.

Bex

I think he was being asked a lot of questions that he thought were frankly idiotic! I am not even going to analyze the guy...He's just Gerry to me. I've noticed many times he likes to give us a jolt now and then...he has that shock em thing going on and I'm willing to bet a lot of what he had to say should have been taken with a grain of salt....some was info we already knew and some was quite revealing but all and all I still didn't find him as a lost soul ....sounds to me like a man that worked hard to get where he is and he is going to do as he Damned well pleases! And he has the Kahonies to do just that! I do know that a lot of people that are always acting the class clown or that are being flippant is just a facade to cover for their insecurities...I also think that this is why Gerry stays so busy and takes on roles ...even questionable ones... just to be able to get into that certain characters head and out of his own... But in the end and as someone already said we all have our demons and we all deal with them in out own ways...Gerrys just Gerry being Gerry! Isn't that what makes him so special to us?

Frannie

Frannie, that's what I get from this article and many articles of Gerry's. Spot on!

Great minds you know :pointy:

Hugs,

Cheryl

That's it. Early in my fandom I used to worry that as he got more successful he'd sanitize and package himself as so many do. You know, the one's with the plastic smiles and the carefully choreographed waves? But he has always been 'just Gerry' and so he remains. He requires no 'fixing' from anybody other than what he chooses for himself. And I don't see him as 'evil' either. Daumer and Bundy were evil. Gerry is just himself. I like him as he is, even when he purposely does things to 'startle the horses'. I like the devilish glint in his eye when he purposely says something that shocks and dismays. I'm glad that success has given him the assurance to remain true to himself. Long may he shake us up! :D

jane

Can I just first admit that I am in tears right now?

Second admittance is; I was seeing bits and pieces (excerpts) fromt he article about his anxiety, and for some reason it made me extremely unnerved. Not in a judgemental way, but the way he describes them seemed to be more of adrenaline rushes, or perhaps a conflict in making conflict decisions. I thought that, because a person like myself who had diagnosed anxiety disorders amongst other things that have led to my agoraphobia, I know I couldn't imagine enjoying them, much less making it worse. From my own and everyone else I know's experience, no one wants to make it worse, we just want it to go away. Even with addictive personalities. I guess I don't understand that part, and a part of me read it and became confused with maybe a slight taint of envy.

Personally, I would give up 50 years off my life to get rid of my panic attacks. I hate them, I despise them. Not only is it ruining any chance of a social life I had (which is moot except for online friends in other countries, and my mother), but it's making my career goal void and slipping away like sand through an hourglass. I'm 23-years-old and I CAN'T do my own grocery shopping, let alone take my injured or sick animals to the vet around a corner in an emergency. I would give anything to be able to leave my house further than checking my mailbox.

I will admit, I do envy most people who struggle with anxiety, mostly for the fact that in Gerry's case, they can overcome it seemingly so easy and still live their lives. I can't even sit in a car without screaming (literally).

As I read the article, I became more aware of some things. It very well could be anxiety that he suffers from, I've just never seem someone who goes searching for it. Personally, if I feel the slighest bit "jumpy" before the initial attack, I run for cover, I block it out, avoid it and if at all possible do anything I can to stop it before having to call my mom and scream at her to come and sit with me at 2am in the morning. I've lost count how many times THAT happened and I eventually had to move back in with her in 2006 to avoid the arguments...and I don't even get along with her. (That's the nice way of putting it. Lol.)

Sorry, I'm rambling - lack of sleep.

I don't know why it bothered me so much. I really don't. I will admit, a small part of me became a little bit self-concious and cried "You have a life, you can go sit by the beach and order your own food and drink, why does it bother you that much apart from the 2 dollars on your phone bill for those eight calls?" I think my brain just needs to register the fact that he's in pain, but doesn't show it. Whereas I've always been around people who have had no filter with it and just express it openly. I'm not used to seeing different. I don't know.

It was a very beautiful article, and I do wish I could just give him a hug and tell him everything is going to be all right, that there's nothing about himself he need be ashamed of. However, I still cannot shake that paragraph. I really don't know why. It disturbed me a lot more than I know it should have.

:unsure:

Amy.

Sometimes people sabotage themselves because the anxiety or addiction or abuse they experience, while unpleasant, is familiar. It's not always a conscious thing but one of those seemingly irrational things we do sometimes. We struggle to overcome our demons but find, one way or another, we do things that bring back the demons in another form because we know how to function fighting the demons, but not how to function without them. Sounds crazy, huh? I'm probably not explaining it very well.

I'm sorry for the severity of your affliction and hope you can find relief. Everyone's experience is different and it's hard to quantify one persons pain against another's. May you find a healthy solution to your problems.

jane

:bigone: Well....the proof is in the pudding!! :p

Frannie

Frannie!!! You "Gorgeous Siggy" makin' woman you!!! That siggy is one of your best yet! It's happy and the words are pairfect. That photo is my favorite photo from the issue. And maybe in my top 5 Gerry photos period!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Frannie! And thank Gerry, too, for being such a "take-charge, foul-mouthed joker with a willingness to hug!" And that photo shows just how damned cute he is! (Can I say that here...oops!!!)

Sorry, everyone. Feel as though I should add to my post above about Frannie's siggy that my intent by no means was meant to minimalize or make light of the many sincere comments made here. I just think that photo is fabulous and happy.

I won't add much more than to say I think we all have pieces in our individual worlds that are maybe not broken so much as in need of changes, repairs or alterations. And maybe our purpose in life, and we ALL need a purpose, is to work on those pieces with the experiences, knowledge and people we are lucky enough to have along the way. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, in life is perfect.

And please note the fact that near the end of the article Gerry himself says "My thing now is to appreciate the cosmic beauty of everything that's happened." In my book that's a pretty good way to move forward. I hope the cosmic beauty he's experiencing helps him enjoy the ENTIRE ride!!!

And I don't see him as 'evil' either. Daumer and Bundy were evil.

Well then maybe Gerry and Alan should consider changing the name of their production company, eh?

Personally, if I feel the slighest bit "jumpy" before the initial attack, I run for cover, I block it out, avoid it and if at all possible do anything I can to stop it before having to call my mom and scream at her to come and sit with me at 2am in the morning.

Melodie, you're trying to interfere with an oncoming "attack" by creating your own chaos. Your anxiety is fear of the fear you feel and usually the fear is based on some unresolved issues or irrational feelings.

I've had panic disorder (diagnosed) since I was a teenager and free floating anxiety most of my adult life. It was wrongly diagnosed many times and I've been put on medication, had therapy, everything. Finally, I just said, "to hell with it". I can have such extreme anxiety I can't function and panic attacks that are debilitating but I choose not to medicate my brain or go to a therapist that just wants to collect a fee. I use to run to the ER and so I finally took a job in the hospital, I think, so I could be closer to it!

Instead, when I feel anxiety or the "fear" building, I create some chaos or a diversion, a change of environment, something I can control. I get up and move. I fear flying so I get on an airplane. I fear high places so I cross a bridge or ride in a chair lift. That could be construed as causing more anxiety but really it's therapeutic. I fear the water so I can't swim but I'll go on a boat, a ship or lay on the beach for hours. I think I may have social phobia too when I'm in a crowd of people I feel panic but if I'm the center of attention, telling a story or giving a talk/speech, I feel more at ease because I'm in control.

Gerry's says he creates more anxiety, he actually creating an environment where he feels in control. That's what anxiety is, basically, a feeling of being out of control or having a loss of your own power to control your environment. He feels more comfortable if there is a lot going on around him.

I can see where Gerry sometimes would feel out of control of his life. He probably does feel like the "performing monkey" at times. He probably feels like his life is living him sometimes, having to be here and be there and go to this interview and that meeting, making appearances and premieres, being stretched thin. Just like when he was in law school. He didn't feel he was doing what he wanted to, that loss of control, so he felt anxiety which led to the acting out.

The life of an actor is all very exciting and I'm sure he loves the business, but I can see where it would get overwhelming and even at times mundane to him. If he rebells a little and is late to a meeting or doesn't even show up, he feels more in control of the situation. It's defiant behavior out of not feeling in control and it can be self defeating as well because it sabotages him at the same time.

But I'll bet when Gerry's doing that thing he loves, acting, he's there on the set with bells on. He probably knows his lines and everyone elses, because this is what he wants to do, what he loves. He'd probably make a fantastic director! All the interviews and meetings and paps are the downside of the business for him albeit the necessary "evils" that he has to endure.

You're young, Melodie. You'll have to face those irrational fears or you'll miss out on a big, beautiful world out there! Just think about what Gerry would do and say to yourself, "if he can do it, so can I" and take a walk around the block instead of calling your mother at two a.m. (if you're in a safe neighborhood, of course). Take a can of pepper spray or a big dog and remember, you're not going to die, trust me.

Hugs to you! :kiss:

Delene

The part of the article where Gerry said he feels things really strongly was one of the two things I identified with most strongly. I have ALWAYS been overly emotional, and able to empathize more than anyone I know. Even my friends and family have recognized it and pointed it out to me. I wonder if it isn't related to his Dad being absent for so long. A loss like that... it's bound to have some effects. And I think that's what happened with me; I had a tragic loss early in my life.

Anyway, I think it's both wonderful and horrible at the same time. I love deep emotions, whether they're positive or negative. But of course, it can be overwhelming sometimes. I think creative careers are best for people like that, and I think Gerry is in just the perfect line of work for someone who feels more deeply than others. I'm sure his performances are cathartic.

I just love this man. 'Nuff said. :wuv:

Steph

:cunning:

Hello!

Would it be possible to get a copy of "Men's Journal", I couldn't find it anywhere I live!!!! I'm ready to pay it, here's my email address: sweetquebecer@lycos.com Thanks in advance!

Josée

Hi: Don't know if it will help but I just picked up the magazine at Barnes and Noble. The April edition with GB just came in last night . I also checked Target last night and the one in Bakersfield, CA still had the March edition and the staff didn't seem to know when the April edition would be in. Personally, I think the April edition will be in today or mid-week next week since most of the women's magazine seem to be coming in mid March for the April edition. So I bet that you will get one. Hope so. Pat

Well then maybe Gerry and Alan should consider changing the name of their production company, eh?

I don't see a problem since their usage was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Is that how you meant your usage?

jane

Guest sugarbee

This song was playing while I was reading through these comments and reading the article. Is anyone else familiar with Incubus? This song "Dig" reminds me of someone like him that has layers.

This link has the lyrics.

I don't see a problem since their usage was a tongue-in-cheek joke. Is that how you meant your usage?

jane

Of course it was! Why would I mean it any other way? Although, now that I think about it, LAC had some pretty evil scenes in it, a couple which Gerry prided himself on creating. :whome2: And they were outstanding, I must say!

Did that answer your question? :sarcasm:

Delene

I haven`t gotten around to getting the magazine yet because I have been so busy with school and I had a Math Midterm today, but I am going to Barnes and Noble tonight to get a copy. I did however, take a gander at the article thats in the gallery and I was really...I dunno overwhelmed by it. Gerry has such depth to him and I think it`s something that you wouldn`t immediately pick up on...but wow. I find the insecurities Gerry feels about himself in a way comforting to read about because it makes me feel like I can relate to him on such a deep level. I have always, my whole life been insecure about my looks...and Gerry, well, we all could spend forever and a day drooling over every little detail of his stunning face...and yet he is geniuenley insecure about himself...its very touching.

Its very endearing to see him talk about his crooked smile....which happens to be one of my personal favorite features about him by the way, or his tinnitus. I actually asked my mom about tinnitus, because she is a doctor and I asked her if people who suffer from it have crooked smiles and she said not usually, unless they happen to suffer from Bell`s Palsy, which is a kind of facial paralysis....which is all together possible that Gerry does. George Clooney suffers from Bell`s Palsy I know, and it can cause things like smiles to be crooked. so...just an medical observation lol.

We soooo need that "Sarcasm Included" icon in our treasure trove of similies!!!!!!

I know! And I want to thank the person who thought of including it and Jane for giving me the first opportunity to use it! :bow2:

Delene

We soooo need that "Sarcasm Included" icon in our treasure trove of similies!!!!!!

I know! And I want to thank the person who thought of including it and Jane for giving me the first opportunity to use it! :bow2:

Delene

Your welcome. Without it, it's so hard to tell.

jane

You guys are killing me with all the new pictures in the Gallery! How do I shrink some of those GINORMOUS pictures? I'm a computer dumbo.

Thanks,

Joanie

I myself have photobucket which is great for shriking them down for siggies. However I usually just save them as they are, if they're too big, my Picture Viewer automatically resizes them for viewing where it fits on the screen to a much smaller size

I'm not sure, but I think Paint has a resizing option too. But I haven't used it in a LONG time, so please don't quote me on that.

I adore the pictures in the gallery. :thud: I snapped up my favorites to make a few siggies with them. Frannie beat me to one, though. I was slow seeing the topic but I used mine for something else for a later date. Lol.

Oh, and my apologies GALS and PALS for my minature "wth" moment yesterday. I try to keep my emotions in check most times, but that one seemed to get away from me due to being overtired and already frustrated from throughout the week. I'm sorry you had to wittness that. :doh: