Gerard Butler GALS
AbandonThought

Spring Break with Gerry

What a truly rare and awesome week of Gerryness you had, Steph. Really, having that many opportunities to see the Gerryness up close in a matter of a few days is so very rare indeed. I am still kicking myself for NOT going to the Kimmel taping - I was supposed to be there but the person who had a ticket for me couldn't go and so I didn't go either and there you all had such a super encounter with the man himself!! What a treasure!

But I had to laugh at the comment about Gerry fans being world class at waiting because you all were in line for the Leno show at 9:30 a.m. Try being in line at 9:30 PM the night before!! Yes, back in 2005 there were actually people waiting in line at 9:30 pm (because back then you could only pre-order tickets 6 weeks in advance so you couldn't get tickets for a specific show or guest without being in line to get them the morning of the show). I myself was in line before midnight with about a dozen people in front of me. Then for his appearance the day of the Rocknrolla premiere in 2008 there was a handful of us in line at 4:30 a.m. (as it turned out we did not need to be there so early that time). So there is a long history of fans waiting, waiting, waiting before a Gerry appearance. But obviously he is soooo worth the wait. Though, I guess as has been cautioned before not ALL waits bring the same results!

Steph,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. You had a truly unique experience and I could not be happier for you. :) The memories you made will stay with you a lifetime, and what an amazing time to always have to look back on with fondness.

:hugs:

Bex

:wave: Steph,

I am so happy for you, my friend. Thanks for sharing this special time with us. You write about it so well that I feel like I am there too.

Diane

Steph, :D

Thank you for sharing your stories. I am very happy for you. These are memories you will treasure for a lifetime. It still ceases to amaze me how much Gerry gives of himself to his fans. A wave, a smile, a handshake, or a wink in your direction means so much to his fans and he generously gives it. I'm pretty sure he appreciates all the support we give him. So enjoy being on Cloud 9 - wasn't it all worth it!

Barbara :wave:

Wow! I'm amazed how many gals have read and commented on my experience! Thanks so much for all your positive feedback. It truly was a dream, and I will be high on this for a long time! After writing it all out last night I went back through the picture, videos, and even re-watched the Leno and Kimmel. I basically re-lived the entire trip! I hope it never loses that spark.

Gerry, you truly made my dreams come true. :wuv:

Steph

P.S. ...anyone know why everyone's posts are coming up bolded in this thread? :lol:

Edited by AbandonThought

hummmm...well, I always bold mine...but on this post I won't and see what happens Steph.

hugs,

Sue

hummmm....lol...verra strange. I'll see if I can find out why hon.

It certainly doesn't bother me, it's just curious. I noticed some threads were doing that right after the upgrade, but hadn't seen it happen in awhile.

Steph

Steph, I'm so glad you had a great encounter with Gerry. My own wasn't nearly as exciting although I did come home with a personally autographed photo. The fans there knew I was there for the first,and probably only time, and I was up front. That was the Rock n Rolla premiere in LA. Gerry was being heckled by professional autograph collectors and some woman who had an issue with 300 so I doubt he even saw me, but I was able to get the picture I had brought with me signed, and managed to stammer the words "Thank you, Gerry" which I'm not sure he heard. I will say that he is without a doubt the most beautiful man I have ever seen. Did I get my picture with him? No. A hug? No. A kiss? No. But I'll never forget that evening in LA. The picture he signed for me hangs on the wall in my Gerry shrine in my computer room.

Edited by Lady Elissa

Steph, I'm so glad you had a great encounter with Gerry. My own wasn't nearly as exciting although I did come home with a personally autographed photo. The fans there knew I was there for the first,and probably only time, and I was up front. That was the Rock n Rolla premiere in LA. Gerry was being heckled by professional autograph collectors and some woman who had an issue with 300 so I doubt he even saw me, but I was able to get the picture I had brought with me signed, and managed to stammer the words "Thank you, Gerry" which I'm not sure he heard. I will say that he is without a doubt the most beautiful man I have ever seen. Did I get my picture with him? No. A hug? No. But I'll never forget that evening in LA. The picture he signed for me hangs on the wall in my Gerry shrine in my computer room.

He really is gorgeous, isn't he? Takes your breath away...

Steph

He takes your breath away. That he does, Steph, that he does! I never knew a man could be so beautiful until I saw Gerry in person. :wuv: I'll never forget seeing him that night until the day I die.

I just want to add that some of my friends from work asked me if I had touched Gerry since he was so close to me while signing the picture for me. I could have reached out and touched him, but you know, it never occurred to me to do so. I'm just amazed that I remained conscious and upright! :D

I apologize if this post seems out of place, but I've been dealing with schtuff all day and am only now getting a chance to get back on the site. For this reason, I beg your indulgence as I make a clarification or two.

Steph, you have most assuredly been smiled upon by the PA gods and, as evidenced by the posts in this thread, we are excited for your experience and grateful that you've shared your story with us. We have this "Personal Gerry Stories" subforum set up specifically for those who care to share all the juicy details!

Contrary to what others have posted, though, seeing Gerry in the flesh is not a matter of "simply getting there." If this was the case, I would not have the volume of emails that I receive. Which brings me to the real point of THIS post...

I want to apologize if my earlier post was misconstrued as throwing a damp towel on Steph's story. This couldn't be further from the truth! People tend to forget that I started this site as a result of my personal admiration of Gerry's ... well ... "my admiration of Gerry." :cunning: I'm still very much aware of the effects he can have on a gal.

However, I have to ask that you keep in mind where I am coming from in this instance as an Administrator and owner of the site. Every day I receive emails from people asking me everything from "Will you give him my number?" to "Can you tell me where his mum lives?" (Seriously, I could write a book.) It is not uncommon for me to find myself helping a stranger deal with "disappointment" over an event/encounter that has not played out the way the fan hoped (or "expected") it to happen. So when Steph shared her story, my natural instinct was to protect others by "gently warning" that what Steph has experienced is NOT "standard operating procedure" for Gerry's public appearances. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I encourage those that are able to attend public appearances to do so. That is EXACTLY the time and place when fans should enthusiastically show their support for our guy! I, too, believe that Gerry genuinely enjoys the interaction, otherwise he wouldn't make himself so available to us during such events and behind the scenes. However, my "protective side" feels equally compelled to warn against attending a PA for the sole purpose of seeing Gerry. To do so is dangerous for some, especially those "new" to the fandom, as they are not always prepared to cope with the potential disappointment.

So I leave that with you all to do what you will...

Now ... get back to reveling in Steph's experience!

~ D

Steph it truly was a mindblowing induction into Gerry PAs and one that will be hard to beat; to be honest every Gerry experience whether it be for a few secs in a line at a PA or getting a chance for a decent chat with him has its own importance/meaning and nothing can be taken for granted. Once you get the bug it is hard to resist hence why so many of us are gluttons for punishment :lmao: and keep going back for more Gerry Juice :wuv: Its also maybe the only time you see your Gerry friends so as a whole it can be such a rewarding experience especially if you have nobody local who gets your Gerry fandom. Susan I still remember being there at 3.30am for Regis & Kelly last July and thought who else would I do this for :rotflmao: I'll admit it was that cold in March at TBH London Premiere, the coldest I have ever experienced in my life and I did question why am I doing this when I have had so much already, what if he doesnt come anywhere near us as there were literally thousands of fans there - the usual feelings/hope that all fans have when they are at a PA - its only natural to not want to go home without seeing him - then I realised we are there to support Gerry - if he comes near us great - if he bypasses us which I know he unfortunately did with some then I was still there to support him. Thankfully he came by us and we got a lovely welcome from him but one of these days I know we wont be so lucky and fortunate.

Dayna, the members knew you did not want to take the gloss off of Steph's first Gerry experience but were just emphasising to the new fans that alot of first/only experiences may just be a few secs in a line at a film premiere or even just a glimpse from afar. For most fans coming to a Gerry PA can be a one off opportunity due to real life not making it possible for them to continuously attend again and again as travel aint cheap. When other fans who have never been to a Gerry PA read such wonderful encounters its only natural for them to build up such expectations that if they dont get what others have, and continue to have as so many of us seem to be blessed time and time again, they could come away thinking why not me and feel deflated - its only natural when you build things up too much and I'm sure we are all guilty of that???

Moira

Gerry not only takes our breath away but for some of us (like me) he has been known to take our brain cells as well. I thought after a few years I had become a little more immune to the effect he has on us, but when he was standing in front of me at the PSILY premiere my brain went dormant and first I could not even get a single Sharpie out of my pocket (he had to use someone else's to sign the poster I had) but when he joked with me I stood there dumbstruck and he had to then say "I was only joking" - which of course I knew he was but like I said, brain was not functioning and refused to allow me to speak anything besides "thank you". I felt like a moron! Then last year at the LAC premiere I didn't ask him to sign anything but tried to ask him for a picture and when that didn't happen I nearly had a total meltdown, something I was sure was waaaaay beyond me. With each PA I've learned something about me and my reaction to being in Gerry's presence and I've learned to never, ever go to one with any expectations or I am certain to be disappointed in some way. Sometimes it becomes more difficult to be there and see a new fan not get their moment, because most of us who have had even one Gerry moment really want that for every fan. Again, Steph, I really am thrilled that your first experience was so very special.

Steph,

Thanks for posting your story. You made laugh till I cried . I was there at the HTTYD. Like you I am a "newbie" (5 months Gerry Fan and counting)

and I can relate to how exciting that first meeting was with the "beloved Gerry".You have captured all the details of that day so well (I did not

see him on Leno and Kimmel but that's okay I tried).

I can not believe my luck when I saw Gerry's fans that day (complete with special T-Shirts and folding chairs) hanging out by starbucks and soon

realized I am not there alone and this is a chance to learn how these things work from the experienced Gals.

I was impressed by how the fans interacted with each other and how respectful they were when we have to line up to meet and support Gerry. Such

nice group of ladies ,"excited", but not out of cotrol.So professional and patient, and being there first time was not at all overwhelming for a

newbie like me(till he showed up) and I bet that's why Gerry soo appreciate the group all this time. Honestly, I was thinking oh my..., this will

be a screaming and pushing event.

On second thought , well 99 percent of his fans are professionals by trade, mature and well educated , classy and friendly people, Im sure.

I was so stunned when I saw him that I froze and said nothing not even trying to shake his hand and he was there 2 feet away. All I could do was

stare at his beautiful grayish green eyes with my mouth open ,not able to say anything(ahh, ahh) not even a "hi" from me, and probably looking like

a statue.(at least I have some grainy and some decent pictures of him). My husband & co workers are still teasing me about this and why I did not

tackle him (joking I'm sure).Told them it was a warm day and do not want to ruin his suit with my sweat. Ha Ha!

Next time , I will be more prepared and even bring a sharpie or something. Oh well, there is always a next time knowing he is making a lot of

movies the next couple of years( can you believe how talented this person is? and so versatile.) Never been impressed by any other celeb to drive 4

hours to LA to have a chance to meet him. I understand now what he meant in his interviews how long time frienships bloom for some of his fans.

Thanks to everyone involved in this site. The "Gerryisims" and Gals support group section so intertaining even my husband read this section with me

and so intertained himself.Sorry this is a rather long post for a "newbie". Thanks.

Always hoping but not expecting,

stars60

Stars60, Posted Image and the crazy world of Gerry! We are fanmily here and as you have already experienced a truly great bunch of people.

Your first experience with Gerry is very similiar to mine. I could have said something...or touched him ... or asked for a hug like everyone else around me was doing....but nooooooooooo...not me....I just froze. lol

Steph truly had exceptional good fortune to be in the right place (where I was one time as well) only she had the WITS to maintain and take advantage (unlike me :bonk:). But there is always next time hopefully.

hugs,

Sue

:welcome1: to GALS stars60!

Thanks for sharing your sweet adventure with us. I love that GALS share so much. Glad you joined us and let us hear lots more from you.

Diane

It took me 5 years to get what seemed like 5 seconds standing in front of him at the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood. But it was the first time I'd decided to actually go to a premiere. And if it weren't for the fans more in the know, his publicist Joy and Gerry's generosity with his time as well, I wouldn't have even that brief time, plus my autographed baseball cap and two videos plus photos taken by my husband and daughter. (She's Posthumorously on YouTube if you want to look hers up. It's called Gerard Rock Cafe. She was irreverent with the movie title, referencing a Flight of the Conchords song, so please don't take offense if you do. She's volunteered for a third viewing of "HTTYD" so she really is a Gerry fan too. :music: )

I didn't go to any of the tapings. I was too shocked that after expecting to be disappointed I really got to see him in Universal City, so I happily accepted that as plenty and we all watched the TV appearances together in our hotel room. :)

You know what though? I doubt it will be the last time I turn up at a premiere. Just seeing him in the flesh, smiling and happy to have us there -- and as handsome as any movie star could ever be -- is downright addicting! :D

:funnyup: I'm glad you took the chance LadyMacbeth....addicting huh? Oh, maybe I'd better not try one than...cause I can be prone to addiction, especially where Gerry is concerned....lol.

hugs,

Sue

Stephanie,

Congratulations on your first encounter with Mr Butler. Yes, he is a true gentlemen, but Like Dayna says, the more popular he becomes that harder it maybe to see him. You have been bless to have met Gerry, because he is truly a wonderful person. He is an extraordinary human being and has always treated his "girlies" with such respect and kindness. Welcome to our club, I am so glad to hear you had such a wonderful vacation, one that while last forever. It was truly a please meeting you, and look forward to the next time we meet.

Yours Truly,

Sherrell/Bermos :bow2:

Stars60- Welcome to GALS and thanks for commenting on my story and sharing your own! It truly was a magical day and Gerry does have some amazing fans. I'll tell ya the truth, I don't think I would have been able to hold it together if I didn't have some great friends and veteran fans flanking me and keeping me grounded. If I'd been on my own, I would have been in the standing and staring crowd. :)

LadyMacbeth75- THANKS SO MUCH to you and your daughter for sharing that video!! I'm collecting them, trying to get more and more slices of just exactly what happened that day! It was very well made, so give your daughter kudos from me! Ahhh, *sigh*. I wish I could go back to that day and live there 'til I die!! :) It was also so great to see things like the Starbucks and the patio of the Hard Rock in the video. Just more memories!! THANKS AGAIN!

Thank you as well Sherrell for your kind words! It was a pleasure to meet you as well, and I can't emphasize what an amazing experience I had overall. The whole week far exceeded any hopes I could have had, as did Gerry himself. Like you said, he is truly a wonderful person to take the time out to give us our moment. He's very perceptive to recognize and appreciate how much just a few words and a touch can mean to us. I'm sure I'll be back out that way in the future, to stand in the crowd and demonstrate to Gerry that he STILL has all my love and support! See you in the crowd! ;)

:hugs: to Everyone!!

Steph

Steph,

This has been a pleasure to read - and relive. :) I caught the end of your meeting at Hard Rock.

The look on your face was priceless. It brings a smile, reading this and remembering the happy afternoon.

Lisa - :bow2:

You embody a kindness & sharing spirit that is refreshing.

It's not always the case in crazy situations. May your caring example be a model.

Dawn

Awwwww, thanks Dawn!! :) How sweet of you to remember the look on my face! I'm sure it was a mix of euphoria, elation, and sheer disbelief. :D I had a great time, and I hope that next time we're all together I get to spend a little more quality time getting to know you!

Steph

:awesome: As I mentioned of FB Steph, this story made me tear up - for many reasons.

It kinda reminded me of my experience meeting Dierks Bentley for the first time - when I had been a fan of his for about 3 years, I only just got to meet him last year - and he was waiting for me when I walked into the room :D It exceeded all my expectations!

It also gives me the hope that even though I'm here, in Australia, that one day, maybe, just maybe, I will be given the chance to meet GB too. I used to think to myself 'yeah, when :pigsfly:' Even though Ireland will always be at the top of my "Places To Go" list, America is right there in 2nd place & I do believe anything is possible - you have proved that with your Gerry experience :wuv:

How I would react if I did ever meet him...well, that's a whole 'nother story!!!! I think I'd just stand there, thinking to myself "This...is...Alex Rover!!" :thud: And then I'd most likely have a total DUH Stacey moment & say something completely stupid!! :doh: But then again...I think I handled myself pretty good with DB, so who knows?!!?!? Even got a kiss and hug out of him at the end of it :cunning:

Ya know, I'm gonna keep rereading this story whenever I feel the need - a little bit of inspiration is always good!

Edited by Aussie_Stace