Gerard Butler GALS
givemeabeach

4/8 - Shakespeare in Serbia: Ralph Fiennes’ Coriolanus

I would rather have a tooth pulled than sit through Shakespeare! It has always bored me silly. If there is ANYONE who can make me sit though Shakespeare, it's Gerry. I'm TRYING to remain open minded about it, honest I am! :inshade:

Suzie

This was mentioned in the Hen House and other places, but I'm wondering if production has been affected by the volcanic ash hovering over Europe right now. Someone who lives in Serbia said the ash is thick, and it's possible that production has shut down. I'm also wondering if Gerry can get a flight into Europe as most airports are shut down.

It would be a shame if production is delayed, but the ash can really harm the electronic equipment, as well as be harmful to humans.

All speculation, and just posting some thoughts on what might be going on.

Lisa

Suzie....THANK YOU! I hoped I wasn't the only one who felt this way...well actually I do know of a few others too that feel the same but I agree with you! I think Shakespeare belongs in the times of Shakespeare not in the 30's or is it 40's ...I don't know I'm already confused. I will most likely go and see it with as open minded as I can get but my expectations at this point are not very upbeat! I mean here they are running around as modern day soldiers speaking Bard ?????????? Don't get it. I wonder how Gerry is going to do with his Scottish accent. I really do wish him well and I really do hope this will be a hit but I still think this type of film needs a certain type of audience... Maybe not as Redneck as me huh? "aint my cup 'O tea" I have a hard enough time understanding the good ole English language!:p

:lalala: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

You could be right about a hiatus in production on Coriolanus, Lisa. Though I'd venture that if Gerry getting there was the problem, they found a way around that. I mean, even if he can't take the most direct route, they can always fly him in making some... interesting connections.

Still, isn't it funny how a geological event on one small island can affect the rest of the world? Geology ROCKS! :lol:

Steph

You could be right about a hiatus in production on Coriolanus, Lisa. Though I'd venture that if Gerry getting there was the problem, they found a way around that. I mean, even if he can't take the most direct route, they can always fly him in making some... interesting connections.

Still, isn't it funny how a geological event on one small island can affect the rest of the world? Geology ROCKS! :lol:

Steph

Did you get beat up by a girl in junior high? :lmao: (Friends reference)

I agree, though, that I'm sure they'll find a way to get Gerry there if he's needed now. But aside from the flights it could also affect filming. Maybe Ralph Finnes will post something on his blog about it soon. :)

In regards to GB taking roles for the money and the publicity: I don't think he would

take ANY role if he didn't do it by choice. Do some of these movie help him come up

with money to put into his production company? Sure, and I suspect he will continue to

make movies that he wants/enjoys making so that Evil Twins can have the funds they need

to make movies he definitely wants to make: BURNS being one of them.

A long time ago Gerry said he hoped to continue making movies we (as fans) would enjoy

and he hoped not to disappoint. Although I have liked some movies better than others,

he certainly has not disappointed me. It is his life, his choices, and I, as a fan,

just reap the benefits.

Just my two cents worth.

Judy

In regards to GB taking roles for the money and the publicity: I don't think he would

take ANY role if he didn't do it by choice. Do some of these movie help him come up

with money to put into his production company? Sure, and I suspect he will continue to

make movies that he wants/enjoys making so that Evil Twins can have the funds they need

to make movies he definitely wants to make: BURNS being one of them.

A long time ago Gerry said he hoped to continue making movies we (as fans) would enjoy

and he hoped not to disappoint. Although I have liked some movies better than others,

he certainly has not disappointed me. It is his life, his choices, and I, as a fan,

just reap the benefits.

Just my two cents worth.

Judy

I agree completely. Gerry even said that once in a while he does some movies (my opinion - TBH) so he can do the ones he really wants to do.

So far, I've been happy with his choices. Even though I wouldn't have seen TBH if he wasn't in it and it's not a favorite, he had fun making it and it's a cute movie. :)

Lisa

I know I'm a geeky nerd but I'd much rather see "Coriolanus" than sit through "The Bounty Hunter" again. (And I did it twice because I'm still a loyal fan. :) )

It actually helps actors when they raise the bar and tackle classic literature on film or on stage from time to time. So whether or not his entire fan base can stomach it, he's going to be praised for the attempt (as he's already been some places). Maybe something else will come out on its heels so the people who groan at this will still have something to look forward to. (I'm still groaning at "Gamer". But I survived. ;) )

Everyone has some roles that they like better than others. That's one of the wonderful things about being a Gerry fan; he does such a great variety of films that there's truly something for everyone! :kisswink:

Steph

I know I'm a geeky nerd but I'd much rather see "Coriolanus" than sit through "The Bounty Hunter" again. (And I did it twice because I'm still a loyal fan. :) )

It actually helps actors when they raise the bar and tackle classic literature on film or on stage from time to time. So whether or not his entire fan base can stomach it, he's going to be praised for the attempt (as he's already been some places). Maybe something else will come out on its heels so the people who groan at this will still have something to look forward to. (I'm still groaning at "Gamer". But I survived. ;) )

I guess I would be a "groaner" then! :unsure: But I say to each his own.. I noticed on the Coriolanus site a few others were doing the same groaning I am. That if it's going to be in Shakespearean "lingo" than it should have been done with the original format and in the Bards times! That I think I might have been more apt to get into...seems to me it would make more sense. But as I said before ...I too am a fan and I too will go and pay for my ticket to support Gerry...I'll just pass on the Popcorn as I don't think this will be a "Popcorn" movie! :p BTW...I'm still groaning at "Gamer" too.....that my Dear we can agree on! All in fun and just anothers opinion BTW! That's what make for great conversation right? :)

:wave: Frannie

I bought Gamer just to extend my Gerry movie collection but I don't watch it much. It's not one of my faves but he does a great job as usual no matter how poor the overall movie is.

Frankly, I thought the best part of GAMER were the Special Features - especially the closing credits....and afterwards! :cunning:

Suzie

Yes indeed Suzie......I do agree...we are so naughty...LOL!!!!

Nudges convo back to Coriolanus.. . :kisswink:

I think the whole modern setting with the Shakespearean dialogue is an attempt to be artsy and creative which some people appreciate and enjoy, and others just stare at in confusion and disdain. :lol:

Personally I think it's kinda neat. The modern version of Romeo & Juliet ended up being a big hit in the original language. I also think that this is a good way to engender appreciation for "the classics" among an audience that might not otherwise be interested in it.

Isn't that what film is about? Express your artistic image in a way that can connect people to each other, to their world, and sometimes even to history and distant culture. I'm certainly not saying that the Bard's language will guarantee that it's a hit, but I am interested to see how it'll turn out.

:)

Steph

I think the whole modern setting with the Shakespearean dialogue is an attempt to be artsy and creative which some people appreciate and enjoy, and others just stare at in confusion and disdain. :lol:

Personally I think it's kinda neat. The modern version of Romeo & Juliet ended up being a big hit in the original language. I also think that this is a good way to engender appreciation for "the classics" among an audience that might not otherwise be interested in it.

Isn't that what film is about? Express your artistic image in a way that can connect people to each other, to their world, and sometimes even to history and distant culture. I'm certainly not saying that the Bard's language will guarantee that it's a hit, but I am interested to see how it'll turn out.

:)

Steph

Absolutely. Especially the sentence in bold. I remember the negativity surrounding Mel Gibson's Hamlet. My feeling was if it gets people interested in Shakespeare, I'm all for it. (And it really wasn't bad.)

There are some excellent examples of films that have taken these classic plays and fitted them into a more recent period of history, such as Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (Napoleonic Europe), Richard Loncraine's Richard III (Europe pre-WWII) in addition to Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet (modern era gang wars.) The themes of Coriolanus are still relevant and, in my humble opinion, the play lends itself really well to the setting of contemporary warfare

All of which serves to re-emphasize the timelessness of the original works.

Since I was a drama major many, many years ago I have seen a lot of Shakespeare plays set in different times other then Elizabethan. Some more successful then others. But it's not an unusual practice at all.

Since I was a drama major many, many years ago I have seen a lot of Shakespeare plays set in different times other then Elizabethan. Some more successful then others. But it's not an unusual practice at all.

No, it isn't really all that unusual. I've seen many stage productions that have used this device. The last was an outdoor production of Julius Caesar set in NYC in the 50's among organized crime families. It was "interesting" :lol:

No, it isn't really all that unusual. I've seen many stage productions that have used this device. The last was an outdoor production of Julius Caesar set in NYC in the 50's among organized crime families. It was "interesting" :lol:

Exactly! Agree with both of you.

I too have been to many theater productions were Shakespear was played out in modern times and very effectively I might ad.

This is not a new concept and I for one am extremely excited to see how this one plays out. Pun intended. :cunning:

Cheryl

With respect I think the industry is going through a massive change. The rise in home digital technology, economic pressures that make studios go for the blandest options, the lack of emphasis on decent scripts and add to this the free fall of the entire UK movie industry of all had a negative impact on what gets made and what gets offered to an actor.

I also think in Gerard's case he needs/likes to work. I have never met him and only have what little I know about him from interviews etc but he strikes me as being in the actor's category who does not enjoy being out of work.

In regards to Coriolanus Fiennes (there is an actor who has a few stinkers to his CV) has a budget to balance. I hope that it does well but how this will fare against the major stdio output is anyone guess.

As for what work Gerard does I could live without seeing Shooters again (not that bad of a movie but grim)or the petrol scene from Gamer; but the bottom line is that it is Gerard who has to be exited about his work and needs to get up at some odd hour to go filming.

Movie making is such a strange business I could mention so many classics movies I adore but never made any money. I just dread to think what the future holds for the industry.

Best Wishes.

J

Ahhh, my bad. I didn't even click into the article. I just assumed that an author with such a narrow-minded point of view would be a man. :lol:

Thanks for putting me in my place Delene!

Great idea KB! Who does the emoticons around here?? :D

Steph

I think we assume all or most women love Gerry and would ever see anything he did as wrong. I honestly do believe that many of these journalists/writers just like to hear themselves. They're more intent on writing cleverly then writing honestly.

I see nothing wrong with Gerry doing movies he feels will give him the opportunity to work with people in his field. And my question is this. How do you know a movie is going to be a hit just by reading the script? It can be written cleverly, it can be funny and still there are so many elements that go in to the making of the film and they all have to come together in sync to make it work. There's a rhythm and a timing, execution of lines and dialogue, the chemistry between the actors, the way it's filmed, the music, the timing of the release and the exposure, etc. The best written dialogue on the planet can stink if it's not executed properly. Think about someone like Patrick Stewart reciting Mary Had A Little Lamb as he's positioned awaiting orders from Star Fleet Command.

Gerry's been critisized for "over acting" then critisized for "under acting". Sometimes you just can't win. Critics all think they are the know all and end all of the movie business when frankly, it's just a matter of their own personal opinions and tastes sometimes. I thought Gerry was fantastic in Gamer but I didn't care for the movie. I gave it to my son and when I asked him what he thought, he looked at me and replied, "It was AWESOME". So like the Ricky Nelson song, Garden Party, it just proves sometimes you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.

All actors have made the occasional stinkers. I never thought Tom Hanks could do wrong until I saw "Lady Killers". I almost got up and left but it didn't make me think any less of him. But the thing about him is his versatality. He can do comedy, rom com, drama, action and I think that's what Gerry is trying to achieve.

I just dread to think what the future holds for the industry

I often think with some of these scripts and story lines that big wig executives in the business may be practicing too much nepotism or something. Every poorly written, lack luster, simple minded script that a nephew, trophy wife or in law presents to them, they undertake it. It keeps it all in the family that way and perhaps a lot of the revenue it earns as well. Gerry was smart starting his own production company. He probably gets tired of all the crap he sees and wants to be able to have a little more creative freedom rather then have to wait for something to come his way that's good. I think LAC was a great first effort. I'll bet he's putting most of his paychecks in the Evil Twins kitty for later projects. I think he said he made two million on his last project. Don't know if that's ALL he made or just his take home. By industry standards, that's really not that much.

I think Coriolanus holds alot of promise. Now if Mother Nature will just cooperate!

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Sorry Galfriends...Guess I'm just a redneck that don't understand what ta heck them there people will be a sayin! Just don't have the learnin it seems the rest of ya'll have... :lalala:

All kidding aside...I'd rather it was done in the period and than maybe I would get excited about it! I'm still going to watch it and if I find you guys are right...I'll stop chewing Tabacky! :funnyface:

:p Frannie

Edited by ladyfran