Gerard Butler GALS

Thank-you for all the trees!

Welcome to the 2010 Gerard’s Grove and Phantom’s Phorest “Un-raffle,” our annual effort

to raise funds to buy and plant trees in the Highlands of Scotland.

Since October of 2006, we have raised £17356 or $28271 for a grand total of 3,469 trees in Gerard's name!

Our goal this year is to bring that total to 5000 trees!

Gerry’s trees have been planted in Glen Moriston (the first grove), Corrimony, Glen Affric, and Dundreggan, all located west of Loch Ness in the Heart of the Highlands.

The reforestation of the Highlands is an ongoing effort by Trees for Life (located near Inverness) and with other environmental groups.

Their goal is to eventually connect the groves that are being planted throughout the western Highlands to bring back the great forest ecosystem that once covered much of Scotland.

Due to years of historical exploitation, only 1% of Scotland's original forest remains.

With your help we can bring back these forests of birch, Scots pine, and rowan along with the animals that depend upon them.

Last year beavers and wild boar were re-introduced to Scotland under controlled circumstances,

and it is hoped that eventually moose, lynx and other native animals that were driven out centuries ago will be able to return to a viable habitat.

Together we can help reforest the Highlands of Scotland!

To donate to Gerard's Grove go here.

To donate to the Phantom's Phorest go here.

Donations to either grove between April 18 and July 15, 2010 will be counted in the "un-raffle"!

If you are not a citizen of the UK, ignore the “switch issue” blank on the form. You can convert dollars to pounds here (click).

From this

Posted Image

and this

Posted Image

to this

Posted Image

Gerard's words to us regarding his forest:

“That is so cool! Restoring these Caledonian forests in Scotland which is, if you ask me,

one of the biggest heartbreaks in the history of our country, is very imaginative and different ...

Congratulations to you guys!"

Alan Watson Featherstone, Trees for Life's Executive Director "I'm deeply touched by the tremendous support of the fans of Gerard Butler

who have donated trees for what is by far the biggest grove we've yet had sponsored in the Caledonian Forest.

Well done and thank you to everybody."

Posted Image

About Trees for Life:

Scotland is a prime candidate for ecological restoration work, as it is one of the countries that have suffered most from environmental degradation in the past.

The Highlands in particular have been described as a 'wet desert' as a result of the centuries of exploitation that have reduced them to their present impoverished and barren condition.

With most other countries now repeating the same ecological mistakes, Trees for Life believes that the onus is on Scotland to provide an example of reversing the damage that has been done there.

Trees for Life believes that the work to restore the Caledonian Forest will not only help to bring the land in Scotland back to a state of health and balance, but also have global relevance, as a model for similar projects in other countries.

If you have any further questions, please PM me!

Edited by Peigimccann
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year our “un-raffle” prizes so far include:

(Winners will be chosen randomly by the Trees for Life staff.)

1. A wee Heilan’ Coo (Highland Cow) sculpture from Scotland

Posted Image

(A real Heilan' Coo, oops sorry, cannot ship this one!)

Posted Image

2 and 3. Two personally autographed Serenata CDs by http://www.gariglaysher.com/'>Gari Glaysher donated by Rose.

Posted Image

4. Beowulf and Grendel mini-poster

Posted Image

5. A Scottish blackface sheep key chain from Sitlring, Scotland.

Posted Image

6. CD, The Greatest Love Poems in the World, a selection of the most heartfelt poems of Robert Burns introduced and presented by David Sibbald

Posted Image

7. An autographed photo card of James Martin, the sexy British celebrity chef donated by Rose

Posted Image (photo may vary)

8. A pair of Celtic knot earrings.

Posted Image

9. “300 – The Art of the Film” (and accompanying poster), the making of 300, the film in which Gerry plays the part of Leonidas.

Posted Image

10. “The Phantom of the Opera Companion,” the “definitive account of the award-winning masterpiece” which includes the original screenplay.

Posted Image

11. Reign of Fire mini-poster

Posted Image

Edited by Peigimccann

Grove totals to date:

Gerard's Grove: £12854 or $20938 = 2,566 trees

The Phantom's Phorest: £4501 or $7332 = 898 trees

Grand total raised: £17356 or $28271 = 3,469 trees

Posted Image

Wonderful to see this up Peigi, congratulations as always. Lovely to see we only need 102 trees now for that

elusive 1000 in the Phantom Phorest. :yay:

Great prizes as always, made me laugh with the cow, a shipping problem indeed. :D

Love Rose

Is there a certain amount for each tree or do we just donate money.

Please let me know, so that I may donate soon.

Hi Bermos! As of today, each tree costs a little more than £5 OR $8.15

So $25 OR £16 will pay for three trees from seed to planting.

Two types of heather in Gerard's first grove.

Posted Image

Edited by Peigimccann

This is a phabulous idea! LOL. I will donate to help plant trees in Scotland. Kudos to whoever came up with this idea.

Thanks Christine,

Our goal this year is to reach 4000 trees.

I'd love to reach 1000 in the Phantom's Phorest.

So that means 102 trees needed for the Phantom's Phorest

and 429 in Gerard's Grove ... total of 531 more trees needed to reach 4000 trees for Gerry!

When you donate you can specify which grove you'd prefer.

Our goal, to bring back mature Scots pine forests like the forest seen here in Glen Affric

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Peigimccann

I will be able to donate some to this excellent cause. I've heard of the Caledonian Forest, but had no idea how bad the exploitation of the Scottish Highlands was. From what I've seen, Scotland is probably the most beautiful country on this planet (and I'm Irish), but I'll do what I can to help with this magnificent project. In a way, Gerry will live on forever because of this.

This is a phabulous idea! LOL. I will donate to help plant trees in Scotland. Kudos to whoever came up with this idea.

Looks like you are off to a great start Peigi. :yay:

Christine, it was the phabulous treehugger Peigi that came up with this wonderful

idea.

Love Rose

In addition to helping to re-establishing the ancient forests of Scotland's Highlands,

your donated trees will help to provide habitat for many animals such as the rare

Scottish Wildcat. The wildcats were featured in an article in today's Glasgow Herald! (click here)

You can also read about them on Trees for Life's website here.

To donate go here (click).

If you are not a citizens of the UK, ignore the “switch issue” blank on the form. You can convert dollars to pounds here (click).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you so much for the information. Can we pick which forest or do you choose and can it be paid through Paypal.

Posted Image

Question? I have donated before, but was told there was no record of it. How do we go about keeping a record of my donations

Thank you so much for the information. Can we pick which forest or do you choose and can it be paid through Paypal.

Question? I have donated before, but was told there was no record of it. How do we go about keeping a record of my donations

Hi Bermos,

1. There used to be two buttons on Gerard's page but since the site re-design, there is one.

I've asked Trees for Life to please restore the two buttons. For now in the dedication box,

write your dedication and then in parenthesis say which grove it's for.

2. They do not take Paypal although as of your post, I've suggested it; I'd prefer it, too.

3. After you donate you should see a printable receipt AND receive an email. Let me know if you don't.

You could also email me with your donation amount, date, and preferred grove and I'll keep track on this end.

DON'T give me your payment information though!

I'll let you know if and when they answer re. Paypal and the grove buttons!

I was thinking (scary sometimes, I know) of going to the Cafe press website and maybe designing a t-shirt to advertise this wonderful project.

Hi GGG! Thanks for supporting this idea! I've PM's you separately re. this.

Bermos, great siggy!

Edited by Peigimccann

Happy EARTH DAY to all! I love coming on to this site and seeing all the wonderful photos of Scotland and love the cow! Are those typically called Yaks? He's a cutie though!

The prizes looks great and I'll me making my contribution. It's such a great cause!

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Peigi!

Hug a tree for me!

Delene

Happy EARTH DAY to all! I love coming on to this site and seeing all the wonderful photos of Scotland and love the cow! Are those typically called Yaks? He's a cutie though!

The prizes looks great and I'll me making my contribution. It's such a great cause!

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Peigi!

Hug a tree for me!

Delene

Hi Delene, this is what the American Highland Cattle Association says about Highland Cattle or "Heilan' Coos" or "Kyloe" in Scots,

"The Highland is the oldest registered breed of cattle, with the first herd book being established in 1884. ...

The Highland breed has lived for centuries in the rugged remote Scottish Highlands... where the extremely harsh conditions created a process of natural selection, where only the fittest and most adaptable animals survived to carry on the breed.

... Highland cattle seem to enjoy conditions in which many other breeds would perish. Cold weather and snow have little effect on them. ... the Highland will eat what other cattle pass by . . .

The Highland is a disease resistant breed. Long lashes and forelocks shield their eyes from flying insects ... the Highland is considered an even-tempered animal - bulls as well as cows."

So this is a Highland Cow, Bos primigenius.

Posted Image

And this is a yak, Latin name Bos grunniens.

Posted Image

Is there a deadline for sending a donation?

beachie

Hi Beachie, Our un-raffle runs from April 18 through midnight July 15, although of course you can donate after that to any grove you'd like!

There is also a Robert Burns grove (let's hope Gerry is Burns in that!) here.

Oh, thanks for the clarification, Peigi! Our neighbors across the road in Colorado had a long haired cow they called a "yak" but I think it was a "highland coo". I still think they're cute!

Thanks for the info and the pics!

Delene

Bermos, great siggy![/font][/size][/color]

Hi Peigi,

Thanks for all the information. I will definitely be buying trees for different groves. This is a

awesome thing you are doing and if there is anything I can to help you, please let me know.

~S~ :bow2:

I just read an article about the Urban Forest map project, "a collaboration of government, nonprofits, businesses and you to build an inventory of San Francisco's urban forest."

Using Google Maps, its founders are hoping to expand worldwide. so that people can access information about their local neighborhood trees

"where the trees are, what species are represented, how old and healthy they are, the distribution of trees geographically." etc.

As with Wikipedia you can find a tree, add a tree or edit a tree!

To see the first map (of San Francisco) go here.

What I found the most interesting about this project, is that it translates the trees listed in any particular neighborhood into the following "benefits"

(Sample - San Francisco 12 x 12 block neighborhood with 1623 trees):

Total Benefits

$242,497 saved

Greenhouse Gas Benefits

119,554 lbs CO2 reduced

$107,393 saved

Water Benefits

1,904,886 gallons conserved

$7,619 saved

Energy Benefits

142,525 kWh conserved

$122,168 saved

Air Quality Benefits

-887 lbs pollutants reduced

$5,315 saved

Posted ImagePosted Image

Hi Ladies,

Just thought i would mention this here peigi, hope you dont mind. As you are going to give a talk about the Robert Burns Grove.

For any ladies who may be in Scotland around this date and would love to see Burns Cottage, Alexandria and myself will be having an event for our RT Burns Club.

Our RT Burns Club Are Very Honoured To Present Our First Ever Meeting/Event As An Official Member Of The Robert Burns World Federation, A Very Special Evening At Burns Cottage On The 24th July.

The Event Will Be Held In The Red Room Of The Education Pavilion Adjoining Burns Cottage, Which Used To Be The Museum. There Will Be A Guide Provided To Show Us Around The Cottage At The Beginning Of The Evening.

There Will Be A Small Bar For Guests To Buy Drinks On The Night. And It Will Be Table Seating.

We Will Also Have A Raffle To Raise Money For The

Burns Birthplace Museum and Breakthrough Breast Cancer, Scotland Branch.

Artists Kindly Performing:

Anne Gomez and Musicians

Callum Cooper - Piper

Robert Mac - Poetry Musician

Peigi McCann Will Talk About The Robert Burns Grove And Trees For

Life Scotland.

Master Of Ceremonies - Keith James King

The Ticket Price Will Be £10 And All Monies Will Go To The Above Causes.

Please Contact Reg Tait For Tickets:

regtait@gmail.com or Tel: 01292 285124

The Event Is Limited to 50 people.

Rose